• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 $100 PRICE DROP shown in Circuit City Ad

USC-fan

Banned
sony should bring back the 20gb at $399 and maybe then they would sell some systems. I don't think many people will buy the 60gb at $500.

Big-E

Warm Machine said:
MS should honor the exchange on the Canadian dollar right now. We'd think it was a price cut and that we'd be getting a deal! I have to give Sony the recognition they deserve for seeing the exchange and not gouging us.

If the PS3 is going to be selling for 499 US then the Elite 360 and PS3 will be the same price. Microsoft actually gave us a bit of a deal with the Elite only charging us 50 more than the premium.

jvalioli

Ranger X said:
Wait, the premium is 399 US? I'm ****ed up because it's 499 CAN here.
Anyways, my point still stand, 200$ difference was too much. Now it think it's a price balance that will reflect more the perception of the casual or mister everybody whatever you call the people in general.
Premium is 399 and the elite is 479 or so.

KINGMOKU

lookagainyoumissedit.jpg

Hmmm.

ATF487

joshcryer said:
Pretty much any respectable retailer has a 30 day price guarantee, consider Circuit City: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/lookLearn.do?cat=-13318&edOid=105471

If you got it from a retailer and not eBay or Craigslist or whatever you should be good.

Thats the thing, I got it from eBay. The seller has a 7 day exchange period but I don't think I'll bother; it was a 400 dollar Japanese 20 gig. Still cheaper than this but a shittier hard drive cache and no US PS1/PS2 upscaling.

Jenga

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Today is a great day for gamers. The PS3 is getting cheaper and the X360 is getting a much needed boost in its warranty along with possible design improvements. No matter what side (if any) you favor, today is a GREAT day for gamers.
For gamers? **** yeah. For Sony? Won't that make their console sell at even a greater loss? This is quite a gamble on Sony's part. The Xbox 360 is still about $100 cheaper.

I'm really surprised they've done this. The thing has barely been out for half a year and there's a major price cut. I guess they have to do something but damn. I'd be pissed if I bought one full price.

chriskzoo

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Stupid people? No offense I'm j/k, but everyone knew a price cut was coming. They have no choice right now.

Except every retailer has a 30-day return policy to price match.

Tsietisin

The thing that intrigues me will be the European price. It's been out for even less time over here, a little more than 3 months. If they go ahead and drop the price I am damn well going to want something for it.

Wollan

They will probably wait until the Heavenly Sword release in Europe I bet.

I'm glad that we're getting the price cut out of the way though, people won't be waiting for one later this year. It's absolutely just about the games now.

Gremmie4

TheGreatDave said:
I'm really surprised they've done this. The thing has barely been out for half a year and there's a major price cut. I guess they have to do something but damn. I'd be pissed if I bought one full price.

I bought one at full price at launch and I'm not pissed. Actually, I'm excited, like everyone should be. I think most people that paid $600 for the PS3 have enough disposable income to not care much about it dropping to $500. I seriously doubt that people who paid $600 are going to get upset about this.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if Sony will have another price drop this fall, maybe $50 or $100. A $450 or $400 PS3 with great software coming this fall will really get the PS3 moving off of shelves quickly.

Gremmie4 said:
Also, I'm beginning to wonder if Sony will have another price drop this fall, maybe $50 or $100. A $450 or $400 PS3 with great software coming this fall will really get the PS3 moving off of shelves quickly.

I've been thinking that as well. Its probably wishful thinking, but if they could get the system to $400 by the end of '07 have home, a good fall lineup of games & a controller with rumble then i think it'd do a lot to fix all the damage they've done since last E3.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i wonder about the timing of this pricedrop -- you'd expect them to drop in fall, when they'll have software to back it up and sales are generally more brisk. maybe ps3 sales have been so dismal that they had to act immediately. maybe they're leaving time for another holiday drop or promotion if this one doesn't stop the bleeding.

Wollan

drohne said:
maybe ps3 sales have been so dismal that they had to act immediately.
I guess you could view it as they would have sold 200k between the time from now and until the eventual time they actually did price drop so why not just do it now. And perhaps we will have a Heavenly Sword demo next week (and I'm almost 50/50 we will see a surprise R&C demo next week as well, gut feeling).

Jenga said:
For gamers? **** yeah. For Sony? Won't that make their console sell at even a greater loss? This is quite a gamble on Sony's part. The Xbox 360 is still about $100 cheaper.
Indeed. If I were Sony I'd get a whole new advertising campaign, probably similar to the brilliant Bravia campaign, stating just what the PS3 can do and its upcoming content. No more screwed up crying doll commercials and position the PS3 as a sophisticated piece of equipment instead of a toy.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
drohne said:
maybe they're leaving time for another holiday drop or promotion if this one doesn't stop the bleeding.

That sounds plausible. The $500 pricepoint seems to still be untested (Maybe they could look at the 360 Elite? But this is Apples and Organges in regards to what each platform provides in regards to specific games)

Seriously, Sony. Quit sticking it to the PAL regions. We're already paying a couple hundred US more than the US even ignoring how the Japanese have PS3s near half the price.

I was about to buy a machine given the software backward compatibility is finally approaching acceptable levels, but I'm not spending a dime if I'm not treated with at least as much courtesy as the US is getting with the $100 off suck up treatment.

AniHawk

Gokurakumaru said:
Seriously, Sony. Quit sticking it to the PAL regions. We're already paying a couple hundred US more than the US even ignoring how the Japanese have PS3s near half the price.

I was about to buy a machine given the software backward compatibility is finally approaching acceptable levels, but I'm not spending a dime if I'm not treated with at least as much courtesy as the US is getting with the $100 off suck up treatment.

Didn't the thing JUST come out in PAL regions only 4 months ago?

Gokurakumaru said:

Why dont you wait until E3?

rs7k

Ranger X said:
Now this is good news.
The PS3 needed to be the same price as the 360 premium. I think that now people will start to see the value in the PS3.
This fall there will be a bunch of great games available + home and for the same price as the 360 premium you get a next-gen drive.
People are not crazy, they can perceive differences and evaluate value. Most people can figure why the 360 and PS3 are more expensive than the Wii. Same will happen here, i think the pricing is more accurate for the PS3 now and i'm sure more people perceive the PS3 as "a bit more expensive than the 360". 200$ more was too much for any discussion but now, it's a good balance me thinks.

The difference will still be $200. No way Microsoft keeps the 360 at $400 for more than 24 hours.

I think this will help PS3 sales far more than 360 sales, at least for 2-3 months. The 360 will still outsell it. Now Sony needs to prove to the public the PS3 is more powerful.

Sharp

Would be kind of funny if MS dropped price in response and then Sony was like, "just kidding LOLZ" but not gonna happen.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Slavik81 said:
Why doesn't he wait until Sony announces it? (whenever that may be. E3 or not.)

Because this is NeoGAF and people like to oversensationalize everything?

soco

so with the news leaking and it seems pretty set in stone to be announced at E3. if that happens, does anyone think MS will take their first-to-go conference and officially cut the price before Sony, in an attempt to steal their thunder?

Sharp

soco said:
so with the news leaking and it seems pretty set in stone to be announced at E3. if that happens, does anyone think MS will take their first-to-go conference and officially cut the price before Sony, in an attempt to steal their thunder?
In the Canada pricedrop thread ShockingAlberto said Microsoft isn't going to be able to drop the price until August at the earliest.

Steroyd

AniHawk said:

That never effects a price drop here, the PSP got a price drop 5 months after it was launched in PAL and only took 2 months for them to release the Giga pack.

Ranger X

rs7k said:
The difference will still be $200. No way Microsoft keeps the 360 at $400 for more than 24 hours.

I think this will help PS3 sales far more than 360 sales, at least for 2-3 months. The 360 will still outsell it. Now Sony needs to prove to the public the PS3 is more powerful.

I still think the prices needs to be in-line with the public's perception. PS3 looks more like the Ferrari if you know what mean. There's a strong brand recognition behind it. I'm pretty sure the main problem was that the console was priced to high and that's all.
Now the console will reach a price point where people will be more confortable. The PS3 will probably sell as much as the 360 next year despise being a bit more expensive.
It's pretty much the same kind of thinking as why the 360 still sells while there's a cheaper Wii. It's all about people's perception and they know the Wii is supposed to be cheaper, they know (all in all) what's the value of a 360 and that's why it's selling relatively good.

WoolyNinja

rs7k said:

With MS now taking a $1 billion loss due to the 3 year warranty thing, I'm thinking they may have trouble dropping the price at this time. Perhaps this warranty deal is instead of the price drop?

AniHawk said:

So? The PS3 got a price drop in Japan before it even launched and the only reason the machine just launched in PAL regions was because Sony was trying to build stock for two regions that have proved to not give a crap about the machine. Oh and of course to take the time to remove hardware to increase margins on the PAL machine over and above the simple price gouging.

If Sony are going to be handing out price drops they should be doing it in an attempt to level up the global price of the machine, not to make it even more disparate. Like I say, if Sony are doing this to stimulate sales they've failed, because it's only going to put fence-sitters like me in PAL land off of buying one until we get a cut to bring us back in line with the rest of the world.

To be fair though, those of you who said "wait til E3" are right. I should save my rant until I'm sure we're being left behind. I just don't see any sales indicating an imminent price drop in Oz at the moment and am somewhat annoyed at this news given I was ready to break down and purchase when Ninja Gaiden Sigma releases later this month.

rs7k

Ranger X said:
I still think the prices needs to be in-line with the public's perception. PS3 looks more like the Ferrari if you know what mean. There's a strong brand recognition behind it. I'm pretty sure the main problem was that the console was priced to high and that's all.
Now the console will reach a price point where people will be more confortable. The PS3 will probably sell as much as the 360 next year despise being a bit more expensive.
It's pretty much the same kind of thinking as why the 360 still sells while there's a cheaper Wii. It's all about people's perception and they know the Wii is supposed to be cheaper, they know (all in all) what's the value of a 360 and that's why it's selling relatively good.

I guess we'll see. The PS brand is strong, but so is the Xbox brand in North America. Sony needs to interest people in HD movie playback, since it'll be hard to convince consumers it's worth $200 more otherwise.

I think the price drops will help a heck of a lot for both consoles' installed bases, and publishers will be more confident about multiplatform projects.

WoolyNinja: MS will drop the price at the same time as Sony. I just don't see how stupid MS would be not to. They may have ****ed themselves with shitty hardware and subsequent higher costs, but they gotta take the heat and maybe say bye to the profitable quarter that they're planning on having. Not like MS as a whole can't afford it. Halo 3 hype is going to start very soon, it's the perfect time to hurt their competition.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
i can't believe the hype isn't though the roof on this. I expected a bunch of "told you so" or "war is over" or "sony still doomed" kinda replies, but right now everythings kinda neutral.

LuCkymoON

Banned
msdstc said:
i can't believe the hype isn't though the roof on this. I expected a bunch of "told you so" or "war is over" or "sony still doomed" kinda replies, but right now everythings kinda neutral.
well people need to see hoe MS will react to this news. Anyway this is great it puts me one step closer to buying a PS3.

Top Bottom