• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 $100 PRICE DROP shown in Circuit City Ad

Chiggs

Wollan said:
It seems like Sony became quite lucky actually with all of this getting highlighted at the same time. The E3 presentations and lineups could make quite a stir.

Sony is lucky that Microsoft upgraded their warranty? Because I think that's how it's going to appear to your average Joe.

Wollan

Chiggs said:
Sony is lucky that Microsoft upgraded their warranty? Because I think that's how it's going to appear to your average Joe.

It's nothing but good to current owners but I would say admitting to having faulty hardware at the same time is a doubled edge sword.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
RumpledForeskin said:
499 still is not going to do it for me but I sure come holidays and site run some deal like a free game or $50 off I will pick one up.

How about the possibility of a Killzone+ShockAXIS @ $79.99 pack? Would that help?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chiggs said:

Your average Joe, who may not have been aware of 360 hardware issues before, may be more likely to be now. The warranty upgrade is shining a light on that for a lot of people who probably had no idea about these issues before.

So yeah, the warranty upgrade is good news, but it's good news on top of a pretty awful issue that many people may not have known about prior to this.

Anyway, this isn't really strictly related to pricecuts..be they PS3 or 360.

gofreak said:
So yeah, the warranty upgrade is good news, but it's good news on top of a pretty awful issue that many people may not have known about prior to this.

There is no one in the world who isn't aware of the 360 failure rate by now. No one. That's probably why they bothered to extend it.

longdi

Banned
In asia, the price of PS3 already around there, ps3 really not so expensive to produce and with weakening us dollars sure price drop time.

Joates

Banned
Wollan said:
It's nothing but good to current owners but I would say admitting to having faulty hardware at the same time is a doubled edge sword.

Considering the fact many already knew about the quality of the hardware, Id say new and old buyers alike can by happy at the new warranty, how could you not be?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Son of Godzilla said:
There is no one in the world who isn't aware of the 360 failure rate by now. No one. That's probably why they bothered to extend it.

Haha, you'd be surprised :) I think you vastly overestimate general awareness of stuff like this. This stuff was the preserve of enthusiast vg publications, and even then the story was only recently beginning to get serious traction there. It's always been on a hot topic on forums, but that's forums. It's on the front page of CNN now - very different exposure.

Wollan

Joates said:
Considering the fact many already knew about the quality of the hardware, Id say new and old buyers alike can by happy at the new warranty, how could you not be?

I think there's a lot of people out there who are uninformed about this (especially people who have yet to buy it).

5yhag6w.jpg

Joates

Banned
Wollan said:
I think there's a lot of people out there who are uninformed about this (especially people who have yet to buy it).

If they dont know that, they probably still arent going to think, hmm the warranty was just upped to three years, the hardware must be terrible. And how that can be twisted into not buying it, I dont know, because youre now protected for 3 years.

iammeiam

yoopoo said:
Its used bahh.

I mentioned this a few pages back, but now with linkage: Brand New 20GB Models. Not exactly an out-of-the-way place, and IIRC they've been in-stock for a while. While 'tard pack stigma may be suppressing sales, it is evidence that a $499 PS3 isn't necessarily going to tear up the sales charts.

iammeiam said:
I mentioned this a few pages back, but now with linkage: Brand New 20GB Models. Not exactly an out-of-the-way place, and IIRC they've been in-stock for a while. While 'tard pack stigma may be suppressing sales, it is evidence that a $499 PS3 isn't necessarily going to tear up the sales charts.

... but the 20 gig is no where to be found!!!

vdo

Joates said:
If they dont know that, they probably still arent going to think, hmm the warranty was just upped to three years, the hardware must be terrible. And how that can be twisted into not buying it, I dont know, because youre now protected for 3 years.

If they also now know that Microsoft is redesigning the hardware to prevent the problem in the first place, they would probably want to wait for that. Given a choice between buying any piece of electronics that is known to have a lot of failures and has a three year warranty or one that has been redesigned and carries that same warranty, I know I would rather have the redesigned one.

That of course assumes that the average person caught the fact that Microsoft said they are redesigning to fix this, that this is happening soon enough to where the potential buyer would want to wait for it, and lastly that there is a way to tell the difference between whether it is redesigned or not when you see them side by side on a store shelf.

Wollan said:
MS position was highlighted today and it seems worse than some people would think I believe.
They didn't reach shipment numbers that were already drastically reduced.
They had a surprisingly bad previous month (May) even in the light of a newly introduced top-end sku.
They have to use a billion us$ fixing faulty hardware (not to mention admitting to their hardware problems which is kinda a doubled edged sword).
Sony is price dropping and it's happening already next week.

It seems like Sony became quite lucky actually with all of this getting highlighted at the same time. The E3 presentations and lineups could make quite a stir.

lol

JudgeN

iammeiam said:

Online shopping is no were near the level of "Walk in" shopping so the fact that you can find 20 gigs on the internet doesn't mean anything. Hell If I'm going to spend $500+ dollars the internet is the last place I want to buy something cause if its broke I don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping it back and shit. Also with the 60 gig PS3 you get the Wifi and bigger hard drive that a huge difference between the too models in the eyes of the consumer. And due to the firmware updates the PS3 has evolved alot since it first came out 6 months ago. Not saying its going to sell out in stores now but it will have a huge effect on the sales.

Already posted?

PS3: Merchandising Manager Confirms $100 Price Cut

Jul 06, 2007 00:02:51 GMT
Although Sony has yet to confirm a price drop officially, GameDaily BIZ has received confirmation from the retail sector that the PS3 will be dropped to $499 next week. Sony itself recently talked about "refining" the PS3 price. Now it appears to be happening.

A PS3 price cut rumor spread like wildfire across the Internet this afternoon when several sites spotted a new advertisement from Circuit City. The ad as seen on Kotaku lists the PS3 console at $499.99, $100 less than its current price.

It wasn't clear at first if this ad was a special deal specific to the electronics retailer or if it's indeed a retail-wide price cut instituted by Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). As it turns out, a merchandising manager (who wished to remain anonymous) at one of the world's biggest retailers has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that the price drop is indeed retail-wide and it's scheduled to take place on July 12, although the first wave of ads to promote the PS3's new price won't kick in until Sunday, July 15.

:D :D :D :D :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wollan said:

My mother just found out about the X360 problems on the news, reporting on the extended warranty thing and asked me if my X360 had any problems. My parents dont know crap about gaming so I think you're right that extending the warranty will alert other people that the console did have problems. But I don't think it will negatively affect sales. Maybe if they admitted problems and didn't extend the warranty, it would be a huge problem.

I think it will be an easier sale for retailers too when parents and uninformed people go out to purchase a console. Being assured that their console will be protected for 3 years, along with a cheaper price than PS3, will steer customers towards a X360

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Today is a great day for gamers. The PS3 is getting cheaper and the X360 is getting a much needed boost in its warranty along with possible design improvements. No matter what side (if any) you favor, today is a GREAT day for gamers.

MaX_PL

Banned
Wollan said:
MS position was highlighted today and it seems worse than some people would think I believe.
They didn't reach shipment numbers that were already drastically reduced.
They had a surprisingly bad previous month (May) even in the light of a newly introduced top-end sku.
They have to use a billion us$ fixing faulty hardware (not to mention admitting to their hardware problems which is kinda a doubled edged sword).
Sony is price dropping and it's happening already next week.

them cutting shipments is a good thing. theyre trying to prevent as many faulty, as in not redesigned, unit from being sold to customers.

having the remainder of stock in stores sold, hopefully through summer, they'll be able to start selling the redesigned units fairly soon with shipments rising as a result.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Gimmie 5 Blu Ray movies of my choice, PS3, and Lair for $499?
I'd bite... I guess.

I was wondering where i would get my daily GAF laugh, people spinning the 360 warranty into something bad is just a joke to me, because i know about 3 people that extended warranty is going to allow to now purchase a 360.

Intersting. I was really wishing to see a $200 price drop, i think that would have really tipped the scales, but at least the price is going down.

Who knows, maybe they can get it to $400 by christmas

vdo

Wario64 said:
My mother just found out about the X360 problems on the news, reporting on the extended warranty thing and asked me if my X360 had any problems. My parents dont know crap about gaming so I think you're right that extending the warranty will alert other people that the console did have problems. But I don't think it will negatively affect sales. Maybe if they admitted problems and didn't extend the warranty, it would be a huge problem.

I think it will be an easier sale for retailers too when parents and uninformed people go out to purchase a console. Being assured that their console will be protected for 3 years, along with a cheaper price than PS3, will steer customers towards a X360

That's what I was thinking - as reports of 360 failures fade, the fact that it has a 3 year warranty will be what most sales people will push and what will stick in most consumers minds. And I would think being sales people, they would not emphasize the fact that it only protects against 3 red rings - they will probably make it sound like it is 3 years for any problem (either out of just wanting a sale or ignorance of this). All the consumer will see is 3 years vs. 1 year, lower price vs. higher price, more games vs. less games.

And after Microsoft has fixed the 3 red rings problem, down the road when they have gone through all the consoles that were based on the first design that needed to be repaired, they will still be able to advertise this 3 year protection for a problem that would be hardly actually happening on the redesigned consoles.

Pimpwerx

DenogginizerOS said:
Today is a great day for gamers. The PS3 is getting cheaper and the X360 is getting a much needed boost in its warranty along with possible design improvements. No matter what side (if any) you favor, today is a GREAT day for gamers.
Pretty much. TabletPCs also seem to be coming down in price too, so all I have to wait for now is a drop in price on a badass 1080p set and I'll take care of all my pending purchases. PEACE.

chriskzoo

Banned
For anybody complaining, get the system and 5 Blu-Rays, you can spin those off for at least $10-15 a pop, and there you have a system for $450, tops.

Ranger X

Now this is good news.
The PS3 needed to be the same price as the 360 premium. I think that now people will start to see the value in the PS3.
This fall there will be a bunch of great games available + home and for the same price as the 360 premium you get a next-gen drive.
People are not crazy, they can perceive differences and evaluate value. Most people can figure why the 360 and PS3 are more expensive than the Wii. Same will happen here, i think the pricing is more accurate for the PS3 now and i'm sure more people perceive the PS3 as "a bit more expensive than the 360". 200$ more was too much for any discussion but now, it's a good balance me thinks.

Joates

Banned
Ranger X said:
Now this is good news.
The PS3 needed to be the same price as the 360 premium. I think that now people will start to see the value in the PS3.
This fall there will be a bunch of great games available + home and for the same price as the 360 premium you get a next-gen drive.
People are not crazy, they can perceive differences and evaluate value. Most people can figure why the 360 and PS3 are more expensive than the Wii. Same will happen here, i think the pricing is more accurate for the PS3 now and i'm sure more people perceive the PS3 as "a bit more expensive than the 360". 200$ more was too much for any discussion but now, it's a good balance me thinks.

Umm 499 = 399 where?

MS should honor the exchange on the Canadian dollar right now. We'd think it was a price cut and that we'd be getting a deal! I have to give Sony the recognition they deserve for seeing the exchange and not gouging us.

Bearillusion said:
I wonder what this will do to the $999AU price here in Australia. It really needs to go straight to $799AU and with a game packed in as well. A Motorstorm pack at $799 should sell do the trick.

I doubt it will be that much, I believe it will be more like $850AU. But with the bundles that are out now we should see some pretty good deals by christmas, I would like two games and $799!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm still only getting mine along with GTAIV, but good news!

Ranger X

Joates said:
Umm 499 = 399 where?

Wait, the premium is 399 US? I'm ****ed up because it's 499 CAN here.
Anyways, my point still stand, 200$ difference was too much. Now it think it's a price balance that will reflect more the perception of the casual or mister everybody whatever you call the people in general.

Top Bottom