• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 $100 PRICE DROP shown in Circuit City Ad

Let's assume for a second that this is a bona fide permanent price drop. Would it make sense to assume that the price matching deal is the reason why it's published as a promotion (for now)? Price matching doesn't apply to promotions, does it? If it was presented as a full blown price drop, CC and the others would have to price match systems that were sold months ago, and that'd be quite the burden.

Just a theory.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think the most telling bit is that SCEA isn't commenting. They've jumped on suggestions of a price revision before to banish the thought. Although I'm sort of surprised they aren't doing that anyway, even if this is true.

We'll see, I guess, but it's looking more likely.

bluemax

Banned
Kolgar said:
Awesome news. And not just for Sony, but for HD gaming in general. Make this stuff affordable so it can get into peoples' hands, then follow up with a ton of great games!

Now, what will Microsoft do?

DAMN, I LOVE ME SOME EEEE THREEE

But its not affordable for most consumers yet.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it'll be interesting to see if this is enough to pull ps3 out of its sales doldrums. a $100 price drop 8 months in is of course aggressive...but it's still really expensive.

Ramenman

gofreak said:
I think the most telling bit is that SCEA isn't commenting. They've jumped on suggestions of a price revision before to banish the thought. Although I'm sort of surprised they aren't doing that anyway, even if this is true.

We'll see, I guess, but it's looking more likely.

I can't help but thinking how much fun it would be if it turned out to be false :lol

JudgeN

Kolgar said:
Awesome news. And not just for Sony, but for HD gaming in general. Make this stuff affordable so it can get into peoples' hands, then follow up with a ton of great games!

Now, what will Microsoft do?

DAMN, I LOVE ME SOME EEEE THREEE

Microsoft won't do a damn thing, they have a huge lead over Sony in worldwide consoles and they got Halo 3 in the Fall. If Microsoft is smart they will sit back and watch, besides I don't think the 360 is profit per unit at $400. Or is it?

Kolgar

bluemax said:
But its not affordable for most consumers yet.

True, but the fact is that Sony's saddled with a console that cost five hundred ninety nine U.S. dollars. That's a pretty deep hole they have to dig themselves out of, and this is a good first step.

It's $100. Seven months after launch. What more could we ask for?

And every time they drop, they make the console more affordable to more people, so given where Sony started, I can't help but see this as a good thing.

iammeiam

AdmiralViscen said:
Is there some deal I'm unaware of, or are you not aware that the 20GB has been discontinued for months?

You can actually still get the 20GB, though--right now EB/Gamestop online has it in stock.

Of course, if the 60GB goes to $499, maybe EB'll drop the 20GB to $399.

ManaByte said:
GameCube:
North America

* US$199.99 (November 18, 2001, Launch Price) (CAD$299.99)
* US$149.99 (May 13, 2002) (CAD$229.99)
* US$99.99 (September 24, 2003)[12] (CAD$119.99)
* US$49.99 (present)

I don't believe this is true. I'm pretty sure the GC is still $99.99

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
JudgeN said:
Microsoft won't do a damn thing, they have a huge lead over Sony in worldwide consoles and they got Halo 3 in the Fall. If Microsoft is smart they will sit back and watch, besides I don't think the 360 is profit per unit at $400. Or is it?
It's a brave man that says Microsoft will go into their 3rd holiday season with no price drop.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ramenman said:
I can't help but thinking how much fun it would be if it turned out to be false :lol

Well, at worst, seemingly you'll be able to get a PS3 for 499 at CC next week ;)

diddlyD

Banned
i bought my ps3 november 2006 at target for $499.95, msrp. the ps3 i have does everything the one you can get today for the same price does, practically.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Let's assume for a second that this is a bona fide permanent price drop. Would it make sense to assume that the price matching deal is the reason why it's published as a promotion (for now)? Price matching doesn't apply to promotions, does it? If it was presented as a full blown price drop, CC and the others would have to price match systems that were sold months ago, and that'd be quite the burden.

Just a theory.

From my time working there, price matching is valid on all advertised items from major chains, for the length of the promotion.

No one does price adjustments from "months ago." the limit on that is 30 days for consoles and electronic equipment, 14 days for computer hardware.

Manmademan said:
From my time working there, price matching is valid on all advertised items from major chains, for the length of the promotion.

No one does price adjustments from "months ago." the limit on that is 30 days for consoles and electronic equipment, 14 days for computer hardware.

Hmm, I was pretty sure Circuit City had a longer price matching security. At a cost though. Though I'm certainly no expert.

tanod

when is my burrito
Holy shit. Thursdayton! With this and the 360 warranty thing, I think next-gen systems will be getting a bit more competitive. It's great timing too because the PS3 just had three great titles hit in R6 Vegas, The Darkness and Sigma (SSD HD could be counted too but it's not at retail)

I really hope they just keep it at one SKU, though. I think it's dumb to create confusion for some people. No 80GB, No 20GB, Just the 60GB. 60 GB is the right size anyway.

border

Too little too late.

PS3 was already tanking when they had a $500 SKU. I don't see how this is gonna help. Sony needs to have a very compelling E3 software-wise if this is the best they can do on the price.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
border said:
Too little too late.

PS3 was already tanking when they had a $500 SKU. I don't see how this is gonna help. Sony needs to have a very compelling E3 software-wise if this is the best they can do on the price.

Sony had a $500 SKU?

In name only...

border said:
Too little too late.

The $499 PS3 hasn't been around for some time, dude.

MaX_PL

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder what they will do with Europe since it launched 5 months later...

It should be 100 less now and another 100 less for Christmas prompting Microsoft to go 100 down too.

And I won't get any of them because I won't be able to decide which one to get :lol

yeh seriously. what, it launched in march over in europe? thats only five months since launch. i dont think europe will get a price drop until possibly the later months of the holiday.

thefro

Good start for Sony. Hopefully they're going to bundle a game/blu-ray movie on top of that.

Still, that's going to trigger cuts from Microsoft and probably Nintendo as well.

Kusagari

border said:
Too little too late.

I think its been shown by the Core and even Premium tapering off now with the Elite that consumers don't want to buy tard packs.

guise

f4bb_1183676795_499.jpg

AltogetherAndrews said:
Hmm, I was pretty sure Circuit City had a longer price matching security. At a cost though. Though I'm certainly no expert.

Nope. price matching is 30 days. if the floor manager REALLY, REALLY likes you, you might get away with 35 or 40.

The extended warranties don't cover price protection whatsoever. You can get an exchange if something goes bad, and in the case of some of them, a full refund in lieu of a repair/replacement, but that's limited to cheaper items- boomboxes, cd players, etc.

I worked there for about 4 years, and recently bought a few items there the other day. as far as I know this is still the way things work.

SCReuter

speculawyer said:
It is still there as far as I know. PS3 stock hasn't exactly been moving fast so the units on store floors have probably been there for months.
If that's the case, now is a great time to adopt a PlayStation 3.

Hundred-dollar price drop, still features everything from the launch unit, plus five free Blu-Ray movies. (Essentially saving you another $100.)

I'd so jump on this if I didn't already own one.

RumFore

Banned
499 still is not going to do it for me but I sure come holidays and site run some deal like a free game or $50 off I will pick one up.

border

Kusagari said:
I think its been shown by the Core and even Premium tapering off now with the Elite that consumers don't want to buy tard packs.
Similarly, it's been shown by the 20GB PS3 and the 60GB PS3 that consumers don't want to buy systems for more than half a grand. Tard packs are unpopular at the $500 level because the person willing to spend more than $500 will want a premium experience. If a $200 tard pack was competing with a $400 premium pack, I'm betting things would be different.

When have sales numbers for systems ever even included the SKU type, though? The NPD threads just have total unit sales.

Sharp

Kusagari said:
I think it's been shown by the fact that the Core and even Premium are tapering off now that $399 is not really in most people's price range. Hell, going by past history even $299 isn't where the majority of consumers buy their consoles. This is a good move symbolically and will probably cause a small sales surge, but I don't think "tard pack" is the reason the PS3 didn't sell well at $499.

Top Bottom