• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 $100 PRICE DROP shown in Circuit City Ad

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've said it before, but I'd be surprised if this were happening..the timing seems weird.

But if true, I hope they can stretch themselves further into the 4xx territory by years end (i.e. 479 or 449 even), just from a psychological point of view. But I guess 100 off the price now would get them on the road..a mini-drop later in the year would always be possible I guess.

Still though, I'd be surprised if they do this before Fall.

Norse

if true guess I will be buying ps3 number 4. lol I have returned or sold the first 3...but 499 with 5 free movies is too good a deal.

Can MS answer? That new 3 year warranty might cost them too much to lower price.

OokieSpookie said:
This thread shows just how honestly pathetic the whole thing is.
If this were true, they knock 100 off the PS3, making it one of the cheapest bluray players also people will still bitch because bitching and whining on the interweb is all it is about anymore and gaming is just an afterthought.
Considering another investment is needed to get the most out of Blu-Rays, the price would still be too high for what is essentially a vehicle to play games. $100 will help out a lot but you make it sound like this is a small investment when it's far from it. The value of the system may be high but is the price easy to swallow? No.

chase

OokieSpookie said:
This thread shows just how honestly pathetic the whole thing is.
If this were true, they knock 100 off the PS3, making it one of the cheapest bluray players also people will still bitch because bitching and whining on the interweb is all it is about anymore and gaming is just an afterthought.

I hereby promote you to Lieutenant in the Sony Defense Force. Well played!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
If this is true, and there might be a price drop for Japan that will bring the system a little under 500 bucks... hopefully.

Sharp

Too little too late, but a good start nonetheless. The PS3 didn't sell any better when it was $500--yeah I know it was an impossible-to-find SKU--so I don't know if this will improve sales that much, but at least it shows Sony is fully aware of the situation and is trying to remedy it as soon as possible. In particular, the unacceptable 100k months should finally stop with this and the awesomesauce games coming out in the second half of this year. In the unlikely event that it manages another price drop before the holidays, the PS3 could actually regain some of the mindshare it lost from E3 2006 onward.

Of course, it's also possible that this is a temporary thing or a mistake, in which case Sony is dumb.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Son of Godzilla said:
Circuit City does do it's clearance sales in July, so it's not completely absurd for this to be a CC only deal.

So PS3 is being clearanced? LOL

I highly doubt this is just a sale specific to Circuit City. What kind of store puts a $100 sale on a console for one week? Maybe $20 but $100?! This has to be an official price drop. The timing seems right too with the ad being the first ad after E3. Hopefully speedy can post the Target ad soon

And if anyone is doubting the source, speedy gets ads like 2-3 weeks in advance and is very reliable. Only way this news can be false is if Circuit City made a misprint.

Kusagari

Wario64 said:

I highly doubt this is just a sale specific to Circuit City. What kind of store puts a $100 sale on a console for one week? Maybe $20 but $100?! This has to be an official price drop. The timing seems right too with the ad being the first ad after E3. Hopefully speedy can post the Target ad soon

And if anyone is doubting the source, speedy gets ads like 2-3 weeks in advance and is very reliable. Only way this news can be false is if Circuit City made a misprint.

Yeah, stores never just drop console prices. They give you extra shit like games or controllers but they NEVER just drop the console price. I'm sure this is a price drop if true.

Tarazet

If this was a CC-only sale, they would do a mail-in rebate so they can sit on the extra cash for 6 months or so and buy more inventory with it.

Pimpwerx

Things are falling into place lately. 360 warranty, PS3 price drop, tablet pc deals...now for a kickass 1080p set to drop in price. PEACE.

Sharp

_leech_ said:
I think if you reread this you'll find it makes perfect sense. It's too little a bit too late to matter, but it's a good start in that the price is finally going down.

The Jason

Wario64 said:

yeah either circuit city is having a fantastic ****ing sale on PS3's or the price has been cut, and judging by the timing, I'm going to guess the latter as well.

elostyle said:
If things keep going as they are, we'll have to have official confirmation to even discuss the weather by as soon as the end of the year.

Hello there mr. kettle.

Here mr. pick out only what you want to, let me add punctuation to help you.

"This thread shows just how honestly pathetic the whole thing is.
If this were true, they knock 100 off the PS3, making it one of the cheapest bluray players also. People will still bitch because bitching and whining on the interweb is all it is about anymore and gaming is just an afterthought."

steinmc

Kusagari said:
Yeah, stores never just drop console prices. They give you extra shit like games or controllers but they NEVER just drop the console price.

That`s not quite correct. Sometimes shops just dropthe price of a console.

But I also think, that Sony will announce an official price drop at the E3.

Kusagari

steinmc said:
That`s not quite correct. Sometimes shops just dropthe price of a console.

But I also think, that Sony will announce an official price drop at the E3.

The only time I've ever seen a store just drop a console price is around Black Friday.

Why am I not surprised that people who never shown interest in PS3 or it's games are still bitching? :lol

Get over yourselves, with E3 filled with amazing games for PS3, and this price drop, and soon to come game flood, Ps3 is going up up and up.

McHuj

Seems odd to me especially given the timing.

I think it's true that console do not sell a high volume during the summer and I don't think a $100 price cut to 499 will move more consoles during this period (especially with no software). I bet it's probably not going to increase volume by more than 20k units/month.

A price cut to $299 would certainly move units.

If i were Sony, I'd either drastically cut the price now or wait till Oct/Nov and cut the price and bundle it with a game (not a movie.) $100 now is kind of ho hum.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
OokieSpookie said:
Here mr. pick out only what you want to, let me add punctuation to help you.

"This thread shows just how honestly pathetic the whole thing is.
If this were true, they knock 100 off the PS3, making it one of the cheapest bluray players also. People will still bitch because bitching and whining on the interweb is all it is about anymore and gaming is just an afterthought."
I assure you the point was not in the punctuation but the semantics. Also, the PS3 was, relatively speaking, a much cheaper blu ray player the day it launched.

Chiggs

Ynos Yrros said:
Get over yourselves, with E3 filled with amazing games for PS3, and this price drop, and soon to come game flood, Ps3 is going up up and up.

While Microsoft and Nintendo sit by twiddling their thumbs, no doubt.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
mood said:
It was already $500

LOL, the $500 PS3 was harder to find than a Wii. (and has been discontinued for months)

Draft

IMO it's still too much money. The public has clearly demonstrated with the X360 that even $400 is too much for a videogame system, let alone $500. Obviously cheaper is better and the cheaper the system gets the more it will sell, but I don't think you're going to see a sales explosion here. You are going to see numbers closer to X360 sales.

NeXuSDK

New media slowly arriving, MS adressing hardware issues, signs of PS3 price drop...

This proves one of two things:

1) The Armageddon is here - everybody flee!
or
2) E3 has maintained its status - everybody flee!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Ynos Yrros said:
Why am I not surprised that people who never shown interest in PS3 or it's games are still bitching? :lol

I think I'm starting to enjoy this thread from here on out.

BloodAdo said:
54kgf2x.jpg

Is that Demonoid I see? Naughty Naughty!

The Jason

McHuj said:
If i were Sony, I'd either drastically cut the price now or wait till Oct/Nov and cut the price and bundle it with a game (not a movie.) $100 now is kind of ho hum.

it would be too late by then, they want to sell ps3's now to build up for this winter, if they cut the price this year, it'll be announced at E3.

Sharp

Ynos Yrros said:

Obviously the PS3 will go up, in quality and in sales; it'd be hard for it not to at this point. People are complaining not that the price was dropped (at least not yet, though I'm sure someone will soon), but that it didn't drop enough. We all know the PS3 is worth $499 to you, but Sony has yet even to convince a lot of GAF--let alone mainstream gamers--that it's worth $499 to them. If Sony had dropped the price by $100 more, which was admittedly an unrealistic notion but which a lot of people were hoping for, it could have competed much more favorably and done X360 numbers or higher, regardless of whether the 360's price dropped or not.

jonabbey

Draft said:
IMO it's still too much money. The public has clearly demonstrated with the X360 that even $400 is too much for a videogame system, let alone $500. Obviously cheaper is better and the cheaper the system gets the more it will sell, but I don't think you're going to see a sales explosion here. You are going to see numbers closer to X360 sales.

It is too much money still, yeah, but with the five Blu-Ray disc deal and the Blu-Ray player functionality generally, it's significantly cheaper to get on board with high-def discs than you get with Microsoft, and it might draw some people in for that.

I was really, really hoping for $449, since it would have a much bigger psychological impact, but this will make some difference.

I don't believe they'll catch the XBox 360 Premium, even if the Premium stays at $399.. at least not if they're selling to gamers. If people buy in for the Blu-Ray disc player functionality, it might get close.

At least there's signs that Sony is not just willing to roll over and die this generation, that'll help people get some greater degree of confidence in the console.

The Jason said:
I'm going to be Bold and say that a $100 price drop and a handful of great games will help sony this winter, I know all the rational people here will argue otherwise, but I protest.

I don't think you can find one person who disagrees that a price drop + great software would help any system. Truly a bold move to put your neck out there, though.

Top Bottom