• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 $100 PRICE DROP shown in Circuit City Ad

steinmc

Ynos Yrros said:
499$ is just 19$ more than 360 Elite, and you get a Blu-Ray player and full HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 support with that, and then of course, oftenly discussed, power.

Quite Right. So now MS must drop the price as well

joesmokey

This is great news. I already own a PS3 but $499 for the 60gb with the 5 free Blu-Ray movies option is an incredible deal.

Those expecting more than this in less than a year before launch are just greedy.

Have to say great job to Nintendo and MS for providing the competition.

SCReuter

Has Sony removed anything from the North American PlayStation 3 since launch?

Is the Emotion Engine still there?

This may be a manufacturer backed incentive, so we might see other retailers have similar offers in the same week due to MFN clauses that guarantee retailers get the same access to offers provided to any other retailer.

Elmo said:
this with the 5 free movies has me tempted. I would imagine xmas time they would bundle a older game with it.

Indeed. When combined with the 5 free Blu-Ray movies (around $100 value), that brings the effective price down to $399. If you want a PS3, that might be very good week to buy one.

I wonder if MSFT will hear about this and now have a similar offer?

h_a_t

Scum said:
Am I the only one that noticed the "Advertised prices - effective 15/7 - 21/7"? Here's hoping for the price drop @ E3 anyway.

No, you're not the only one...but it seems many have not?

SCReuter said:
Has Sony removed anything from the North American PlayStation 3 since launch?

Is the Emotion Engine still there?

It is still there as far as I know. PS3 stock hasn't exactly been moving fast so the units on store floors have probably been there for months.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Well, it's a much needed step in the right direction. It's gotta go another $200 down to get into my price range, but I dont expect that for another 2 years. This will help their sales a bit though, making future NPD threads even more interesting. :D

Treo360

Nice. $100 off Ps3 (with 5 Bd movies), Free XBL for a year with a purchase of a 360 (now with 3 years RROD protection)

Pre-E3 mini-tons.

Bring it[e3] on!

Now that the 60gig has dropped $100, look for Sony to re-introduce the 20 gig sku (or a similarly lower end model) at $399 around E-3.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I think it's probably just a CC thing right now, though such a move usually indicates an official cut soon.

Note:
-Says price "break". Usually when it's a manufacturer decree, the language used is "cut", "drop", or "new low price".
-Underneath the $499.99 price, it says "Reg. price $599.99". If $499.99 was the new MSRP, the regular price would then be... $499.99. They would say "was $599.99".

Kolgar said:
Separate issue. MS can't let repair problems and costs muck up their overall console strategy.

I agree. I think MS will view the $1 billion as a one-off consequence on a bad design decision, and not as something that is indicative of the long-run performance of the xbox division. The pressure on the xbox division to make a profit isn't there so much because MS desperately needs the money, it's because of scepticism from some people about the whole project.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Still
$500
too much. :)

Really though, if there's a $400 20GB version, I'll be getting a PS3 sooner than I though.

spwolf

Shig said:
I think it's probably just a CC thing right now, though such a move usually indicates an official cut soon.

Note:
-Says price "break". Usually when it's a manufacturer decree, the language used is "cut", "drop", or "new low price".
-Underneath the $499.99 price, it says "Reg. price $599.99". If $499.99 was the new MSRP, the regular price would then be... $499.99. They would say "was $599.99".

CC cant cut the price of PS3 by $100, when they make $10 on it. If they offer $100 off on PS3, then it is Sony backed.

Manmademan said:
Now that the 60gig has dropped $100, look for Sony to re-introduce the 20 gig sku (or a similarly lower end model) at $399 around E-3.

So they can lose even more money? The reason they dumped the 20GB last time around is because it cost them too much (and retailers, too).

Loss-leading Core 360s work because people are forced to buy accessories to bring themselves up to speed. The core PS3 doesn't exclude anything you need to pay Sony to get.

rothbart said:
Or the "Reg. $599" under the price which would seem to indicate a "sale".

It does also say "Price Break" which is usually what is used when a pricing change happens, and not a sale though nobody will know until E3 if even then.

Kolgar

spwolf said:
CC cant cut the price of PS3 by $100, when they make $10 on it. If they offer $100 off on PS3, then it is Sony backed.

Agreed. And I've seen them use the words "price break" before in instances where it wasn't really a sale, but a new, lower regular price.

We don't know until it happens, but I'll be surprised if Sony doesn't announce a $100 price drop next week.

Link316

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Second, there are people who expect it to drop to 299$? Or even to 399$? Are we serious here? I understand that it should be at 399$ next year, but now, it just isn't happening, there's too much new technology in there.

yeah I was expecting $399, my reason for that is because I felt that they've already tested the $499 price point with the 20GB model, being @ $499 still keeps it well out of the price range of the Wii & 360 so I don't see it having any sustainable effect

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hey, at least GAF is more positively receptive of this price cut than kotaku.

Good move in the right direction.

$499 + Spider-Man 3 BD + Free game (Resistance?) this Christmas should move a lot of units.

Shig said:

Note:

why are people still debating this? CC's margins on game consoles is almost nil- somewhere on the order of 5 or 10 dollars. There's NO WAY they could take a $90-95 hit per console without an official price drop. Keep in mind that larger chains are not permitted to advertise prices a certain amount below MSRP. This has to be authorized.

"price break" "price drop" and "new low price" are interchangeable terms as far as the ads are concerned. Keep in mind that Best Buy, Target, Etc all price match each other, so if CC is doing it, they're ALL doing it.

the "reg. 599" is just there for comparison. don't expect this to go up again next week.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
AdmiralViscen said:
So they can lose even more money? The reason they dumped the 20GB last time around is because it cost them too much (and retailers, too).

Loss-leading Core 360s work because people are forced to buy accessories to bring themselves up to speed. The core PS3 doesn't exclude anything you need to pay Sony to get.

Games?

calder

That doesn't look like a price cut to me at all, not to say there might not be one at E3 or before the holiday season at least, but some random flyer doesn't really scream 'leak' to me.

Solomon87

Banned
I hate to put your panties in a bunch ladies, but there is no such price break for the ps3 in the target ad for next week. This is a CC thing, not a nationwide price break.

It's Nintendo's turn to give us some sort of announcement when it comes to value. $200 Wii? Free Wii branded HDD for everyone?

I want money, Nintendo :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Solomon87 said:
I hate to put your panties in a bunch ladies, but there is no such price break for the ps3 in the target ad for next week. This is a CC thing, not a nationwide price break.

Circuit City doesn't have this in next week's ad either. So?

I'll bet a permaban that this is an official price drop.

Manmademan said:
why are people still debating this? CC's margins on game consoles is almost nil- somewhere on the order of 5 or 10 dollars. There's NO WAY they could take a $90-95 hit per console without an official price drop. Keep in mind that larger chains are not permitted to advertise prices a certain amount below MSRP. This has to be authorized.

"price break" "price drop" and "new low price" are interchangeable terms as far as the ads are concerned. Keep in mind that Best Buy, Target, Etc all price match each other, so if CC is doing it, they're ALL doing it.

the "reg. 599" is just there for comparison. don't expect this to go up again next week.

A half-dozen stores ran major discounts on 360 last fall. Still waiting on that price drop.

Bojanglez said:

They might as well make it $20, if that held true. Or hung on to the $500 SKU they already had. Or 360 should have price dropped already. No matter how you slice it, they're losing $100 more than they have to.

Even MS, with the benefit of gimped Core, doesn't produce them in bulk. 10% or so.

Chiggs

Wario64 said:

Egads. What if they decide in the next few days to take it down to $479.99 or $449.99?

alpo845

and, if you buy from CC next week, you get a free controller. Then when the price drops to 499 you can just bring in yoru receipt and they'll price match it.

499 = ps3, extra controller, 5 blu ray movies.

I might have to bite.

Bookey

Professional Monk
Does anyone think they're going to "announce" the 80gig or will it just start to pop up in stores at some point?

Elios83

Wollan said:
If it happens it will be interesting to see if it happens in EU as well.

Of course it will, SCEE will follow in September.
Btw this is clearly good news although I believe that they should cut the price by at least 150$ to push sales dramatically (2.5-3X the current sales) but who knows maybe they're confident that 100$ less+ strong lineup+ holyday season will be enough. It will be interesting to see how the market will react, the reaction to the PSP 30$ price cut has been stronger than I thought for example. In the worst case they can try with 100$ while they continue to cut their costs and leave the door open for further action (bundles with a game for free, an other 50$ price cut) in November.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Wario64 said:

My hero :D Confirmation from gamedaily biz and boom, you're willing to stake a permaban on it :lol

But yeah, this is awesome that its confirmed.

Dahbomb

As great as a $100 price drop, it needs to be a bit more aggressive than that. It's still a good sign that the price has been "more refined" as Sony puts it, hopefully we can see more refinements by next year.

Yeah expect price drop announcement at E3 with all major stores running ads like these for that weekend.

Top Bottom