• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 $100 PRICE DROP shown in Circuit City Ad

msdstc said:
i can't believe the hype isn't though the roof on this. I expected a bunch of "told you so" or "war is over" or "sony still doomed" kinda replies, but right now everythings kinda neutral.

Sony fans don't want to cheer until it's absolutely certain, and MS fans probably wish the thread and the price drop didn't exist at all. Most reasonable people post in reasonable ways anyway, hence the calm excitement in this thread. So yeah, it was bound to be "neutral".

msdstc said:
i can't believe the hype isn't though the roof on this. I expected a bunch of "told you so" or "war is over" or "sony still doomed" kinda replies, but right now everythings kinda neutral.

I think everyone is kind of wondering how much of a difference $100 will make when that still leaves it at $500.

I don't think it will make a big impact...we'll just have to wait and see.

WickedAngel said:
I think everyone is kind of wondering how much of a difference $100 will make when that still leaves it at $500.

If you have an HDTV, the $499 price plus 5 free Blu-Ray discs is a pretty darn good deal for a Blu-Ray player and a bunch of Blu-Ray discs. Oh, and it plays some great games too.

speculawyer said:
If you have an HDTV, the $499 price plus 5 free Blu-Ray discs is a pretty darn good deal for a Blu-Ray player and a bunch of Blu-Ray discs. Oh, and it plays some great games too.

I already have one.

I'm not the status quo though...NeoGAF is full of technophiles. Joe Consumer is, by and large, ignorant to the significance of these HD consoles (Thus being skeptical of the high price of admission).

WickedAngel said:

That's why I really want MSFT to match the price cut . . . a $199 Core & $299 Pro xbox 360 is in Joe Six-pack range. Combine that with Halo 3 and we'll see lots of new next-gen players.

Rhindle

speculawyer said:
The point is that the demographic that can afford one at $500 isn't that different from the demographic that can afford one at $600.

I don't know that Microsoft would get a much of a boost from a $100 cut either. Until you drop below $300, it's a pretty narrow and limited market.

speculawyer said:

I think most people would expect to get paid for watching the tripe on that list.

Dahbomb

msdstc said:
1) The new price is still the "old" price of the PS3... that is the 20GB version. Essentially two things are happening here: The 20GB version upgraded to the 60GB version for free OR the 60GB version gets $100 less in price. This makes it look more like an upgrade and less like a price cut.

2) The fact that the 20GB version is not available anymore makes the price cut a little ... jarring. It confirms the original notion that the 20GB version was just a ploy to soften the impact of the $600 console. If the 20GB version was still in existence and was at $400, most everyone here would be singing a different tune.

3) $500 still makes it the most expensive console out there even though it has more 'value' than the Elite SKU of the 360. $500 is still a lot of money but I do believe that it's much easier on the eyes than $600.

4) Since the price of the 20GB PS3 was $500 to begin with, this price cut doesn't make much of an impact but another $100 cut would mean a lot (provided the Microsoft doesn't follow suit). Hell I would say that if Sony had bit the bullet and gone an extra $50 it would've made a bigger difference.

5) Still not enough games to justify the ownership of a PS3 but there is good stuff over the horizon. People are still going to be waiting until at least November to jump back on the PS bandwagon. Right now nothing is going to change much and like someone said, there will only be a marginal increase in sales. Games are still extremely important to the sales of the PS3.

6) The impact of this price drop in this thread isn't that high because it's still not 100% confirmed but it will probably hit harder when Sony fully announces it at E3. That right there will cause more positive feedback on the PS3, in addition to the flurry of games they will present. Oh and of course..... KILLZONE !!!!!

Steroyd

OldJadedGamer said:
Is this the first time in history that the system that launched last dropped it's price first?

I thought the Xbox....

Come to think of it... you may be right, the Xbox had a reactionary price cut to the PS2's price cut.

Curse you American's and your weak dollar, that must mean the PS3 in expensoland will drop by a pathetic £25 or something. :/

justjohn

i'm pretty sure it will probably go down by a further 50 dollars around fall when the big games start arriving. good start

GhaleonEB

Rhindle said:
The point is that the demographic that can afford one at $500 isn't that different from the demographic that can afford one at $600.

I don't know that Microsoft would get a much of a boost from a $100 cut either. Until you drop below $300, it's a pretty narrow and limited market.
If they get the Core to $199 this holiday, I can see it starting to move some units. GTA/H3 will bring in a lot of people who don't necessarily go online.

OldJadedGamer said:
Since most stores will price match within 30 days... it's effective today if you want to risk that this is the real deal.

Doesn't Circuit City do difference + 10%? Or is that only for sales, not price drops?

Sypher

Banned
You know, why wouldnt Sony reintroduce the 20GB for $399 just to say ME TOO?

Or abandon the 60GB all together and make it $399 20GB & $499 80GB(korean w/ iptv)?

BTW this doesnt seem like a Sony price cut, but CC own break. If we see more brick and mortar stores advertise this then ill believe.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
FitzOfRage said:
They announced their price drop after Sony announced the PS2's price drop.

Actually I belive MS announced their Xbox price drop several days in advance and Sony just went ahead and dropped the PS2 price the next day.

Edit - I could be wrong though :D Okay looks like I am wrong.

Wollan said:
They will probably wait until the Heavenly Sword release in Europe I bet.

I'm glad that we're getting the price cut out of the way though, people won't be waiting for one later this year. It's absolutely just about the games now.
That will be a good move but i'm really begining to think that they screwed me (i bought PS3 mainly for HS, R&C, Uncharted and of course LBP ! None will be here before september :/)
At least if 360 follows i'll buy it
again

DSWii60

Steroyd said:
I thought the Xbox....

Come to think of it... you may be right, the Xbox had a reactionary price cut to the PS2's price cut.

Curse you American's and your weak dollar, that must mean the PS3 in expensoland will drop by a pathetic £25 or something. :/

Nah, It'll drop to £350 here. That doesn't really make much difference as play.com are doing a PS3 for £400 with free HDMI + Blu-Ray anyway. So, officially the price drop will be £75 but in real world terms, the price drop will be around £25 because of the deals we have here (like the play.com one).

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
A move in the right direction and earlier than I expected. Does this mean they're taking out the PS2 chip and using software compatibility in US machines from now on? Or will we get a price drop in Australia too? The machine is way overpriced here compared to other countries, especially with our dollar getting stronger.

Although unless I suddenly just have to have a blu-ray player (which isn't gonna happen until video stores start stocking blu-ray movies) this is still way too expensive for me if Australia gets a similar price drop.

Normally a $100 pricedrop would be hugely significant, but not in this case I don't think. The reality of the situation is that the PS3 now costs $500, it doesn't matter if it's just dropped, people are not willing to pay $500 for a video game console (Hell people aren't even willing to pay $400 with the 360's sales falling in the US!)

Great for me though since I'm planning on importing it to the UK, which (If Videogamesplus does a fair drop) should mean that the console will only cost me £270 not including shipping (That's cheaper than a 360 premium over here!) While there isn't an awful lot that interests me coming out any time soon for it, I'll gladly buy it just for the increased loading times and picture quality on my PS2 games :D

spwolf

Nuclear Muffin said:
Normally a $100 pricedrop would be hugely significant, but not in this case I don't think. The reality of the situation is that the PS3 now costs $500, it doesn't matter if it's just dropped, people are not willing to pay $500 for a video game console (Hell people aren't even willing to pay $400 with the 360's sales falling in the US!)

not really... 3.5 million people got it at $600... how many will buy it at $500?

I am not sure about europe, but thats where it sold the best...

citrus lump said:
Did sony ever fix that issue with 1080i tvs? I'd hate to buy one and have it not work on my old HDTV.
What issue ?
I see nothing wrong on mine.
Maybe you speak about the 720p auto selection that the console makes for some games ?
If so it's not a really big deal.

Wollan

I'm hoping they will try to rectify the valuta difference a bit in Europe. 450euro and 299£ would make it sell like crazy over here this Xmas.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Posted?

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/ne...124814Z_01_NOOTR_RTRMDNC_0_India-283451-1.xml

Sony Corp. said on Friday it has no plan at present to cut the price of its PlayStation3 game console to pep up demand.

Apparently taken from an interview with Sony prez Ryoji Chubachi. Of course, he may simply be adhering to the "don't announce it until it's done" policy of price-cutting.

Re. Europe, I think it's unlikely sony will cut NOW in Europe, 4 months after launch, if it's selling 'OK'. Later in the year though, sure.

More interesting IMO would be if there's a cut in Japan also.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Wollan said:
I'm hoping they will try to rectify the valuta difference a bit in Europe. 450euro and 299£ would make it sell like crazy over here this Xmas.

£349 seems more plausible (and even that's a little optimistic). Still a healthy price, though.

milanbaros

Member?
gofreak said:
Posted?

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/ne...124814Z_01_NOOTR_RTRMDNC_0_India-283451-1.xml

Apparently taken from an interview with Sony prez Ryoji Chubachi. Of course, he may simply be adhering to the "don't announce it until it's done" policy of price-cutting.

Re. Europe, I think it's unlikely sony will cut NOW in Europe, 4 months after launch, if it's selling 'OK'. Later in the year though, sure.

More interesting IMO would be if there's a cut in Japan also.

I think price cuts need to be carried out immediately after announcement otherwise you sell 0 consoles between the two.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some more reporting on Chubachi's comments. He certainly does seem to leave himself some wiggle room..

``We have no immediate plans as of now'' for price cuts, President Ryoji Chubachi said today in an interview in Tokyo, where Sony is based. Any change in the game console's price ``is a matter'' for Sony's game unit, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., he said.

stressboy

Chû Totoro said:
What issue ?
I see nothing wrong on mine.
Maybe you speak about the 720p auto selection that the console makes for some games ?
If so it's not a really big deal.

He might mean how some games will not run at 1080i, and instead drop down to 480p for those with older tv's that do not do 720p. I remember hearing about that at launch, but nothing since.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder if sony let this leak out on purpose to see if microsoft announces a price drop at their e3 conference and if they do then announce that they will drop the price of the ps3 to 399.99. if they did that i'm sure alot of fence sitters would get one. if they do that and sony really wants to make things happen this on x-mas then they should create a holiday pack that includes motorstorm and genji 2 and maybe a 9.99 psn card. i don't think sony would mind including those two games since they already sold all they would of probably sold and you give the holiday box an added sense of value. dropping to 399.99 not only helps the ps3 as a game console but really helps it as a blu ray player. i'm sure alot of casuals would perhaps buy the ps3 as a blu ray player at that price and maybe buy a game once in a while.

Cdammen

Cool. Just in time for E3. Now let's hope for a price drop here in Yurop too. I'm not buying one just yet but it's a step closer :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mrklaw said:
$100 + 5 blurays is basically a $200 drop.

Also worth considering for those who've said they may wait for the Fall. That blu-ray deal is a summer deal only, AFAIK, and though it is added hassle, you could effectively shave the guts of $100 off the price of your PS3 by selling those Blu-rays on if you have no interest in them. et voila, basically your $399 PS3 ;) You may not be able to do that later.

smurfx said:
only if they let you choose the movies you wanted.

You can choose from a certain selection, with some rules i.e. you choose one from each of 5 different groups of movies.

It may not get you every movie you might want, but in terms of the resale idea, that should maintain the resale market for those movies.

DSWii60

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKT4990520070706?feedType=RSS

According to this guy Sony have no plans for a price-cut:

Reuters said:
"At present we have no plans," to cut the PS3 price, Ryoji Chubachi told Reuters in an interview.

This guy was actually saying that we are going to have a price cut soon a few weeks ago. Now that the price-cut is nearly certain he is saying we have "no plans" for it. Damage control FTW.

Edit: For those who don't know, this guy is Sony's President.

Top Bottom