• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the Best looking NES game anyway...

Mega

Banned
Return of the Joker as the most technically impressive. Problem is there's never more than one enemy on screen.

TMNT III if factoring multiple big sprites attacking you at once and everything happening on screen.

TMNT3c.png

Statues in the back come to life.

That water fills the back/foreground and Leatherhead swims in before the fight begins.

Some of the foot soldiers in the back are built and come out to fight.

Tokka is a favorite. He eats you, blocks your jump kicks with a shield and smashes you into the large electricfied sign in the back.

Breaks in two and each half attacks independently

jett

D-Member
Other games might be pushing parallax backgrounds and shit, but SMB3 has, for my money, the most enduring, consistent and polished aesthetic among all NES games.

Super%20Mario%20Bros.%203%20(U).png

Hands down.

GIF from the last time this thread came up:

EwxEP5Y.gif

Well that's stupid good looking for the NES.

Timu

Return of the Joker as the most technically impressive. Problem is there's never more than one enemy on screen.
What are you talking about, the shoot em up sections have multiple enemies on screen.

Glad you mentioned TMNT 3 though.

I think it's pretty clearly Kirby's adventure.

The parralax tricks in Batman and vice are nice but they require context to understand why it matters.

Kirby is just a nice looking game in general and technically impressive compared with other releases on the platform in obvious ways.

Recca is amazing in its own ways but the level of flicker and lack of a background points out the limitations of the hardware.

I think for a "most impressive" title taking into account masking the hardware's limitations has to be considered.

Also Kirby has a huge amount of varied content which is an important consideration for the Nes's limited ram and processor. Being able to transform your abilities rapidly and with barely anything but a transformation animation and into so many varied abilities and animations is its own technical achievement on such limited hardware.
17c4b6abd954143fc8d0d0468d404d20.jpg

Mega

Banned
What are you talking about, the shoot em up sections have multiple enemies on screen.

Glad you mentioned TMNT 3 though.

Well mostly one enemy! Point is that there's considerably less interactivity than other top NES games.

Serge84

Neo Member
Mitsume ga Tooru ("The Three-eyed One") was released in 1992 and was one of the most technically impressive games on the NES in my opinion.
4hZohaL.png

zeLGQMq.png

96QybwX.png

Keep in mind, that game looks much better in motion with parallax scrolling.

D.Lo

I think it's pretty clearly Kirby's adventure.

The parralax tricks in Batman and vice are nice but they require context to understand why it matters.

Kirby is just a nice looking game in general and technically impressive compared with other releases on the platform in obvious ways.
Huh? Kirby looks like a good NES game with a solid, simple art style. Batman ROTJ looks like a Mega Drive game. What 'context'? It looks way more advanced.

Kirby is the 'best looking game many people played' but many games did things much more advanced. Little Sampson and Gimmick do a Kirby type game with more colours effects and detail. Crisis Force, Recca, Shatterhand, Sword Master - all do more than Kirby graphically.

Drain You

Wow I really need to get my hands on that Batman and Gimmick game. How do they control? That's usually my biggest issue going back to NES games these days.

ASaiyan

Banned
Kirby's Adventure is probably best, but there are lots of 90s-era titles with beautiful sprites. Some I would suggest are:

Ufouria_-_The_Saga_Europe-16_134.png

Ufouria

18921.jpg

Hello Kitty World

EminentSnarlingAracari-size_restricted.gif

Bomberman II

D.Lo

I see it as a master artist with a dozen colored pencils and a better understanding of all the fundamentals vs less talented, less capable copycats with a 100 markers.
Famicom/NES version - Japanese developer. Mega Drive/Unreleased SNES version - western developers.

Of course many western devs were much better, but despite different platforms it is a pretty demonstrative example of east vs west development in the era IMO.

Double Dragon II makes excellent use of the NES's color palette

MhY3ySV.png
doe44vN.png

r06OjVn.png
r0StAtD.png

Oyc3wAa.png
tklogB4.png

I thought TMNT1 had some nice tile art.

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%281989_video_game%29_gameplay.png
agree with you here, it wasn't nearly as popular but that's a pretty good look in hindsight

If they could have pulled off that increase detail and style in the beaten ups. Or similar games like dd, would be nice.

Mega

Banned
Famicom/NES version - Japanese developer. Mega Drive/Unreleased SNES version - western developers.

Of course many western devs were much better, but despite different platforms it is a pretty demonstrative example of east vs west development in the era IMO.

Good point, there's an Amiga/DOS design aesthetic, although worse like you said.

Always thought Crisis Force looked great. It's not Batman though.

giphy.gif

That's great. You normally see that on PC Engine shooters!

Huh? Kirby looks like a good NES game with a solid, simple art style. Batman ROTJ looks like a Mega Drive game. What 'context'? It looks way more advanced.

Kirby is the 'best looking game many people played' but many games did things much more advanced. Little Sampson and Gimmick do a Kirby type game with more colours effects and detail. Crisis Force, Recca, Shatterhand, Sword Master - all do more than Kirby graphically.

People say Batman looks like a genesis game but there is a clear world of difference between it and even this:
j03_thumb.jpg

And that's the system's launch title.

Obviously this is all opinion but I think it's hard to poke any holes in Kirby's style, visuals, color, effects, content, and variety. All around I think it's the best choice. Just my opinion obviously.

artistically batman on the nes doesn't even look good and that music isn't great. No matter what, I am not seeing the praise here. It looks sort of bad cause of the large sprites with subpar animation. Much prefer the good batman game on NES to this . Prefer it over the more ugly genesis though for sure.

Mitsume ga Tooru ("The Three-eyed One") was released in 1992 and was one of the most technically impressive games on the NES in my opinion.
4hZohaL.png

zeLGQMq.png

96QybwX.png

Keep in mind, that game looks much better in motion with parallax scrolling.
That's like if Krillin and Tien combined together. lol

andymcc

Banned
Wow I really need to get my hands on that Batman and Gimmick game. How do they control? That's usually my biggest issue going back to NES games these days.

Return of Joker isn't my favorite hand mechanically but gimmick is masterclass.

That's like if Krillin and Tien combined together. lol

That character probably influenced the design of both to some capacity so not really shocking.

Conezays

Thanks for the recommendations. Definitely going to have to check out the Batman game and some of the others mentioned here on my AVS.

As much I was wow'ed by Batman and all the parallax scrolling etc, I have to pick Recca.

What they pulled of on the famicom hardware is simply amazing; almost physically impossible.
dozens of sprites on screen without a hint of slowdown.
high speed scrolling(one of the fastest scrolling I have EVER seen in a game even), scaling, rotation hell even morphing
cBdOJ6H.gif

NBYvbI3.gif

basicly the "Super Aleste" of it's time.

It's available on 3DS Virtual Console btw (even in the US and EU). get it

Always thought Crisis Force looked great. It's not Batman though.

giphy.gif

Crisis Force uses an additional chip on the cartridge though (I think the same like in Gradius II). so it's not all Famicom power.

Top Bottom