• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drunk man arrested for knocking over K5 security droid patrolling parking lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://abc7news.com/technology/police-say-drunk-man-knocked-down-robot-in-mountain-view/1915713/

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (KGO) -- Police arrested a man accused of being drunk and knocking down a robot that was built to prevent crime near Terra Bella and Linda Vista Avenue in Mountain View.

The 300-pound robot named K5 spins and occasionally whistles, so it's hard to understand why someone would want to knock it down.

"I think this is a pretty pathetic incident because it shows how spineless the drunk guys in Silicon Valley really are because they attack a victim who doesn't even have any arms," Mountain View resident Eamonn Callon said.

Police say Jason Sylvain, 41, knocked down the Knightscope droid while it was patrolling the parking lot, last week.

"I think this is probably a first for us, but we are no strangers to technology," one woman said.

The robot referred to as K5 suffered some scratches, but it is back on the street.

The co-founder said it's a testament to the technology that police caught the aggressor and booked in him jail.

Knightscope is the company behind the robot that ran over a toddler's foot at a Stanford shopping center last year.

Since then, they've made many adjustments and just launched their first security droids out of state.

Police said Sylvain faces prowling and public intoxication charges.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...rity-robot-beat-up-in-parking-lot-police-say/

The five-foot-tall, K5 robots can read 300 license plates per minute. They also are equipped to supply 360-degree video streaming. Once an anomaly is detected by these robots, they alert security guards. The robots are not armed.

Knightscope, which is based in Mountain View, charges $7 per hour for the robots that the company claims will soon be able to detect guns. The company says it has dozens of clients, including Microsoft and the NBA's Sacramento Kings.

rpSOYvR.png

Amory

The 300-pound robot named K5 spins and occasionally whistles, so it's hard to understand why someone would want to knock it down.

Idk why this line is so funny, but it is

"how could you knock over a robot that spins and occasionally whistles?"

Meatfist

"I think this is a pretty pathetic incident because it shows how spineless the drunk guys in Silicon Valley really are because they attack a victim who doesn't even have any arms," Mountain View resident Eamonn Callon said.

Soulja Boy tell 'em

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was dead certain I was reading an Onion article when I got to this quote. But it's not. Who the hell says something like this, lol. Someone who truly doesn't get it, that's who...

Krakatoa

$7 an hour is pretty cheap. I can see these things becoming the norm in the future. Even if its only for crime reporting.

Alucrid

Banned
"Knightscope is the company behind the robot that ran over a toddler's foot at a Stanford shopping center last year."

sounds like the robot was asking for it

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I didn't realize the Watch Dogs 2 robots were based on a real thing. Yeaaah... I don't feel too great about the idea of robot security guards patrolling humans.

Aselith

From the Onion?

"I think this is a pretty pathetic incident because it shows how spineless the drunk guys in Silicon Valley really are because they attack a victim who doesn't even have any arms,"

... Are robots really victims? I mean, it's a robot. Like, if I have a lawnmower in my yard and you come and knock it over, the lawnmower is not the victim, I am.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
So this is just a walking/rolling camera? What is the use?

It doesn't sound like that at all.

"The five-foot-tall, K5 robots can read 300 license plates per minute. They also are equipped to supply 360-degree video streaming. Once an anomaly is detected by these robots, they alert security guards. The robots are not armed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom