• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LAPD caught beating, kicking restrained (innocent black man) in the head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Officer resembled "football player kicking a field goal"
Los Angeles police officer is under investigation after being accused of beating and kicking a suspect who was being held down by other officers, according to sources close to the probe.

The altercation was captured by a private company’s security camera. Several police officials who saw the video told The Times that the officer delivered a powerful kick to the suspect’s head. One said the officer resembled “a football player kicking a field goal.” Another described it as “horrific.” The suspect, they said, had surrendered and was not resisting the officers.

A lawyer for the officer confirmed that the suspect was kicked but said the blow landed on the man’s shoulder. He said the officers used appropriate force on the suspect while trying to handcuff him.

After inquiries from The Times, Chief Charlie Beck released a statement Friday saying he was “extremely concerned about this particular use of force.”

“This investigation is ongoing, and there is still much that needs to be done to determine the facts of this matter, but let me be very clear, any officer that is found to abuse the public is not welcome in this department, and we will apply whatever legal or administrative means necessary to insure the community’s trust without exception,” Beck said.

The four officers involved in the arrest and a sergeant who arrived on scene afterward have been relieved of duty with pay as the department investigates the Oct. 16 incident.

The suspect, Clinton Alford, 22, sustained a gash on his ear and was taken to a hospital for stitches and a head scan. He was booked on suspicion of drug possession and resisting arrest and later released on his own recognizance. He has pleaded not guilty.

In an interview at his South Los Angeles home, Alford denied the drug charge and said he feared for his life during the encounter. “I was just praying that they wouldn’t kill me. I just closed my eyes and tried to hold on,” he said.

Alford said he was riding his bicycle on the sidewalk along Avalon Boulevard near 55th Street when a car pulled up behind him. A man shouted a command to stop, but Alford said he continued pedaling because the man did not identify himself as a police officer. When someone grabbed the back of the bike, Alford said he jumped off and ran.

After a short foot pursuit, two officers caught up to Alford. Footage from the security camera on a nearby building captured Alford voluntarily laying down on the street and putting his hands behind his back, according to several people who viewed the recording. The officers restrained Alford, who made no movements and did not resist, the sources said.

Straight out of the NYPD playbook...

Seconds later, a patrol car pulled up and a uniformed officer, who the sources described as “heavyset” or “very large,” rushed from the driver’s side, according to sources. The officer moved quickly over to Alford, who was still held on the ground by the other officers, and immediately stomped or kicked, the sources said.

The officer then dropped to the ground and delivered a series of strikes with his elbows to the back of Alford’s head and upper body, sources said. Alford’s head can be seen on the video hitting the pavement from the force of the strikes, two sources recounted. Afterward, the officer leaned his knee into the small of Alford’s back and, for a prolonged period, rocked or bounced with his body weight on Alford’s back, the sources said. At one point, the officer put his other knee on Alford’s neck, a source said.

Throughout much of the altercation, two officers restrained Alford but eventually they moved away.

Two officials who viewed the video said it was clear to them Alford was handcuffed as soon as he got on the ground. Others said it is difficult to tell from the video when Alford was placed in handcuffs.

Alford said he had already been handcuffed when he was first kicked.

When it was over, Alford’s body was limp and motionless, according to sources who viewed the video. It took several officers to carry him to a patrol car, they said.

“He looked like a rag doll,” one person said of Alford.

The crime appears to be your classic case of biking while black.

Fullerton said the officers were responding to a detective’s radio call for help in locating a robbery suspect when they spotted Alford and attempted to apprehend him. Alford turned out not to be the man the detective was pursuing.

And the cherry...

The sources who reviewed the video of the incident also raised concerns about the officers’ actions following the arrest. Several minutes after Alford is put in the patrol car, they appear to notice the security camera on the building wall. The officer who kicked Alford knocked on the door of the building, which houses a small garment factory, until someone opened the door and he disappeared inside.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...ing-of-restrained-suspect-20141024-story.html

The good apples enable it by letting the bad ones stick around

The good cops protect the bad ones, so they are all bad apples.

“This investigation is ongoing, and there is still much that needs to be done to determine the facts of this matter, but let me be very clear, any officer that is found to abuse the public is not welcome in this department, and we will apply whatever legal or administrative means necessary to insure the community’s trust without exception,” Beck said.

good apple

mrWalrus

Banned
The four officers involved in the arrest and a sergeant who arrived on scene afterward have been relieved of duty with pay as the department investigates the Oct. 16 incident.

Why would they stop when they keep getting rewarded for poor behavior?

Someone needs to come around and vastly re-adjust how our tax dollars are being spent.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's sad that things are at the point that if cops came to my business and asked for our security footage I'd immediately assume they were attempting a cover-up and tell them to fuck off. (even though it's backed up off-site in real-time)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Why would they stop when they keep getting rewarded for poor behavior?

Someone needs to come around and vastly re-adjust how our tax dollars are being spent.

So here's the problem.

Let's say some cop has an altercation with someone, and that someone accuses that cop of gross misconduct. They need to investigate this, and while it's being investigated - they can't have the cop out on the streets as a cop IN CASE he was actually doing these things.

So they are suspended with pay. Which, especially if the cop is innocent, is completely fair.

good apple

Words words and more words. Let me know when he's fired and charged with assault

um, that statement is just another way of saying some paid leave, let this die down from the spot light, then nobody will remember, and everything will be the same.

are you sure?

Words are wind. Action is more important.

He'll be a good apple if these officers are fired and prosecuted. But if it goes like so many other cases like this where nothing happens to the cops involved, then his words are meaningless.

That's true, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Lets hope the officer(s) involved are found responsible for their actions if the accusations are true.

It seems like a good sign that the police chief says something like that though

GhaleonEB

are you sure?

That's true, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Lets hope the officer(s) involved are found responsible for their actions if the accusations are true.

It seems like a good sign that the police chief says something like that though

The chief didn't say anything remarkable, it's pretty much the standard response to these kinds of things.

Enzom21

So here's the problem.

Let's say some cop has an altercation with someone, and that someone accuses that cop of gross misconduct. They need to investigate this, and while it's being investigated - they can't have the cop out on the streets as a cop IN CASE he was actually doing these things.

So they are suspended with pay. Which, especially if the cop is innocent, is completely fair.

So if the cop is found guilty, should they give the money back? These cops who are on video doing this shouldn't get shit.

So how many officers were involved in this incident?..for once I'd like to hear a story where there was actually some real accountability in the police force.

If I were to violently attack someone unprovoked and while on camera while doing my job, I'd lose my job at the very least

Keep chomping on those good apples though

The chief didn't say anything remarkable, it's pretty much the standard response to these kinds of things.

no, it's not remarkable, but it's still a good thing to say isn't it?

If I were to violently attack someone unprovoked and while on camera while doing my job, I'd lose my job at the very least

Keep chomping on those good apples though

well yeah, why would anyone want to eat a bad apple?

tirminyl

So how many officers were involved in this incident?..for once I'd like to hear a story where there was actually some real accountability in the police force.

Looks like 3 or 4. It mentions two held the guy down, unsure if there was a third watching. Then douche comes running up dropping elbows and suplexes while the others simply watched and did nothing, which seems to be the status quo.

They all need to be fired!

Looks like 3 or 4. It mentions two held the guy down, unsure if there was a third watching. Then douche comes running up dropping elbows and suplexes while the others simply watched and did nothing, which seems to be the status quo.

They all need to be fired!

They should actually be arrested for assault at least but we all know already that video evidence of police breaking the law still isn't enough to press charges on a cop.

Enzom21

How can this keep happening, why isn't there mass outrage and internal reform?

Because a lot of the public can't "relate" to the victims of this abuse and the cops who don't do this sort of thing keep quiet when others do.

Resisting arrest seems like such a convenient thing to charge someone with. "Oh, were you actually innocent before we beat the shit out of you? Well, if you hadn't fought back, we wouldn't have needed to hit you. Therefore, you're still guilty of something and our actions were justified."

I dunno. This place makes me so cynical.

Good to know he may be compensated for the beating. The more cameras out there the better.

Also ppl need to remember cops can confiscate get any footage from phones nearby or in building because "a crime has occured" and they think you may "delete the evidence".

http://www.katu.com/news/local/To-p...olice-can-seize-your-cellphone-191323791.html

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...e-arrest-claim-they-have-right-to-do-so.shtml

I liked this quote:

"No matter how many courts claim that videotaping police is legal, no matter how many officials instruct the cops under them that people recording them aren't breaking the law, they will only care once those rulings and instructions come backed with punishments for failing to comply, and not a minute before."

Resisting arrest seems like such a convenient thing to charge someone with. "Oh, were you actually innocent before we beat the shit out of you? Well, if you hadn't fought back, we wouldn't have needed to hit you. Therefore, you're still guilty of something and our actions were justified."

I dunno. This place makes me so cynical.

It's one of the most popular bullshit charges cops use. They don't even have to charge you with anything else. How the fuck can somebody resist arrest when they weren't being arrested to begin with? It makes no fucking sense. And shit like this is only going to get worse and worse unless more people realize what's happening and try to stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom