• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest iPhone 8 rumor says Apple cracked the code & got the fingerprint in the screen

Forgive my ignorance by why is this something to get really excited about? I have an iPhone 7+, not sure why having a fingerprint scanner in the screen would benefit me over just using the home button.
The screen on the 8 goes right to the bottom of the frame. Embedding the scanner behind the screen means it can be in the same place as it always was, but with the benefit of a much greater screen-to-body ratio. The thing to get excited about is the visual impact of using a near bezel-less phone.

Ditching Touch ID altogether doesn't make sense in the current infrastructure.
"Show your face to the phone next to the NFC reader to buy something with Apple Pay." sounds great, especially for tall people.

For what it's worth facial recognition isn't reliable at all because you could simply hold up a picture of someone and unlock their phone lol

There’s almost no chance they ditch Touch ID altogether. They’ve built Apple Pay around the idea that using your fingerprint is so secure.

If it’s not under the screen, it’s on the power button or (ugh) on the back.

Yeah onleaks has been saying no fingerprint sensor on the back and they won't get rid of Touch ID because of Apple Pay. For fucks sake they put Touch ID into their MacBook pros.

Doodis

I swear, every fifth time or so I try to unlock my 6 Plus, I accidentally (or absent-mindedly) press the button instead of just letting it scan, activating Apple Pay.

Yes, I should know better after having it for a year and a half, but whatever they do with the 8, I hope they minimize the ability for me to do the wrong thing when simply trying to unlock the phone.

Vyer

meh. hope that's not true. if touchid is gone face recognition would have to be a hell of a lot more revolutionary than it is now. blah

I swear, every fifth time or so I try to unlock my 6 Plus, I accidentally (or absent-mindedly) press the button instead of just letting it scan, activating Apple Pay.

Yes, I should know better after having it for a year and a half, but whatever they do with the 8, I hope they minimize the ability for me to do the wrong thing when simply trying to unlock the phone.

that would probably already be fixed for you, as the newer TouchID is so fast just one press unlocks and scans all at once

pswii60

Fuck. So what happens at night when it's too dark for face recognition?
My S8's iris recognition works fine in the dark. Infrared.

Personally I love that the S8's fingerprint sensor is on the back. It means I get that beautiful, large screen and I got used to it within a couple of days. It helps that the fingerprint sensor is the best fingerprint sensor ever of course, one slight touch with my finger and the phone is instantly unlocked. Unlike my bloody iPhone 6s which seemed to hate my thumb with a passion.

It would suck if Apple gets rid of the fingerprint sensor altogether, but I doubt the rumour is true. Then again, they got rid of the headphone jack so I wouldn't put anything past them..

Surface Pros, Lumia 950/XL phones and some other high end windows laptops have for the last 2 years had infra-red 3d face scan cameras. This one from apple probably works a bit faster but they're already quick, and they work in the dark, and you can hold them on funny angles and such (after updates; at launch you had to be pretty much face on). I would therefore expect this apple one to also work in the dark and on angles.

NYR

Same thing that happens when the fingerprint sensor fails when you have fingerprints all over it or it's dirty - brings up the number pad to put in your pin to unlock.

My S8's iris recognition works fine in the dark. Infrared.

Personally I love that the S8's fingerprint sensor is on the back. It means I get that beautiful, large screen and I got used to it within a couple of days. It helps that the fingerprint sensor is the best fingerprint sensor ever of course, one slight touch with my finger and the phone is instantly unlocked. Unlike my bloody iPhone 6s which seemed to hate my thumb with a passion.

It would suck if Apple gets rid of the fingerprint sensor altogether, but I doubt the rumour is true. Then again, they got rid of the headphone jack so I wouldn't put anything past them..

How do you unlock it when it's flat on your desk?

And also, I'm not sure how Touch ID could get any faster than it is on the iPhone 7. It's actually annoyingly fast because you can't wake the phone with a Touch ID'd finger without unlocking it.

jts

...hate me...
I wonder how it deals with variances in facial hair, skin tone, glasses, sunglasses, etc.

pswii60

How do you unlock it when it's flat on your desk?
It's rare that I would want to unlock it in that circumstance because I have it set to be unlocked automatically when at home. It's also unlocked automatically when connected to my car Bluetooth. But I'd just swipe my pattern instead if I needed to. It's not an issue.

In Wallet and Apple Pay settings you can turn off “double click home button” to have that stop happening. If you put the phone near an NFC reader it will prompt you for Apple Pay anyway

keuja

Man I was ready to jump on board with the iPhone 8 but this is making me reconsider...
I would have been satisfied with the fingerprint on the back or on the power button as a compromise but I don't believe it since this would be quite a major redesign of the internals.

It's rare that I would want to unlock it in that circumstance because I have it set to be unlocked automatically when at home. It's also unlocked automatically when connected to my car Bluetooth. But I'd just swipe my pattern instead if I needed to. It's not an issue.

What about at work? Doesn't that mean anyone in your office (assuming you don't work from home) could just pick it up and use your phone?

sun-drop

i don't see Apple having screen tech before samsung .. it just hasn't happened, they've been behind on rez, and oled, and we think they will leap frog samsung ...? yeh no ..

if iphone does ship with a on screen finger print reader i suspect will be be grossly insecure ..basically the reason why samsung passed on it - in its current state anyways

Ambient80

It’s a rumor, folks. First it had a fingerprint reader under the screen, then it didn’t, then it it did, then it didn’t. Wait until we see actual parts and completed devices leak before going doom and gloom, at least lol.

jts

...hate me...
i don't see Apple having screen tech before samsung .. it just hasn't happened, they've been behind on rez, and oled, and we think they will leap frog samsung ...? yeh no ..

if iphone does ship with a on screen finger print reader i suspect will be be grossly insecure ..basically the reason why samsung passed on it - in its current state anyways
Apple has beaten Samsung in displays several times actually... first to retina (high DPI) screen, lamination, 120hz, certain color gamut/accuracy benchmarks, etc. Surely not "just hasn't happened".

mooksoup

This doesn't sound great.

For those already using laptops / phones with face detection.. how does it handle glasses?
Having to remove them to unlock my phone everytime would get old fast...

hirokazu

If they couldn't get it on the screen, why not just put it on the back.
Because nobody liked the idea of it at the back. Go to that thread where there were supposed prototypes with a rear fingerprint sensor and read all the comments saying "Fuck that shit, I'll skip."

I don't like it either, but it's probably still better than not Touch ID at all?

hirokazu

Samsung passed because it wasn't reliable, not because it wasn't secure.

But, uh, your expectations are a wild departure from reality anyway.

It's a rumor, folks. First it had a fingerprint reader under the screen, then it didn't, then it it did, then it didn't. Wait until we see actual parts and completed devices leak before going doom and gloom, at least lol.
Ming Chi Kuo has been correct about Apple hardware more often than not. He's got very good sources. Probably the most reliable when it comes to Apple hardware rumours.

He has been saying no Touch ID for a long time as well, but most people assumed "Well maybe not the current Touch ID, but surely Apple will have a replacement fingerprint recognition tech."

my s8 iris scanner is working fine with glasses even when in dark, the only problem when there's direct light behind me while scanning iris.

Pein

Banned
I must be the only person who doesn't like the edge to edge displays. I hope the 7s plus is really a thing because I'm not to keen on what I'm hearing of the 8.

I must be the only person who doesn't like the edge to edge displays. I hope the 7s plus is really a thing because I'm not to keen on what I'm hearing of the 8.

I'm looking forward to them because I can have a plus (-ish?) size display in a regular sized phone though. And use it with one hand.

hirokazu

Apparently, he's been right just north of 40% of the time. Let's hope he's wrong here.
The analysis linked in that article is kinda dodgy though. Two of the seven reports that proved incorrect are about sales. His track record on when things may launch are a bit hit and miss, but those things are always kinda fluid. Excluding those, I think his hardware predictions are pretty good.

My general rule of thumb is that hardware reports tend to get more reliable (from previously proven sources) closer to launch compared to, say, a year out. I hope he's wrong in this case too, but I think with the current information we have, there's no reason to doubt him.

I'm looking forward to them because I can have a plus (-ish?) size display in a regular sized phone though. And use it with one hand.
The usable app area will almost certainly be smaller than on the Plus, unfortunately. I'll take that trade-off for a phone that's an easier fit for the pockets though.

Magwik

Banned

Yeah it's quite frankly awful. The S7 Edge is already pushing the screen ratio with the side panel.

I expect it will be walked back in a few years when people realize there is really no benefit to so much screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How will you know where the button is?

Via haptic?

I don't know if that will be as easy to use as the actual button.

I figure Apple knows what they are doing though and doesn't want to scare away old people and kids who intuitively know how to use the hardware and software.

In iOS 11 the Touch ID prompt appears in a way that might suggest you put your finger on the fingerprint graphic on screen. That'd be my guess anyway

I'm more curious how you do system level stuff. How do you simply quit an app back to the home screen without a persistent hardware button? You can't just 3D press in the bottom area of the screen - what if an app is using that?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

But it won't be plus sized - not in the same way at least. It'll maybe have a similar diagonal measurement but most if then increase will be vertical. No real benefit for videos as you'll have bars on the sides when viewing in landscape. For websites you'd need to scroll less because you'd see more page, but fonts would still be small and your eyes would be flicking back and forth just as much. Keyboard not much bigger either (might get a row of numbers finally due to extra available height)

I might still go for it because having recently gone from a 6s+ to a 6s temporarily, the size decrease is very welcome

It'll be pretty but I don't know how much more usable it'll be or how well it'll compare to an actual plus sized phone. Curious to hear from S8 owners on that

As for face recognition, it won't work at extreme angles and particularly for Apple Pay that could be annoying as you're often reaching across to tap a reader with the phone screen nowhere near your face. Maybe you can adjust to unlocking it in advance but touch seems objectively better for retail situations

hirokazu

I'm more curious how you do system level stuff. How do you simply quit an app back to the home screen without a persistent hardware button? You can't just 3D press in the bottom area of the screen - what if an app is using that?
Rumours are there's a persistent area on the bottom where a virtual home button will reside.

Why are people so deathly afraid of bezels all of a sudden?
Because people want as much screen in as small a form factor as practicable? it's not hard to see why this is the direction things are going.

Top Bottom