• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

Spierek

This is the best thread title. Good to see that GI has reviewed LEGO City favorably; I was kinda sceptic after that first EDGE review.

CoolS

Katana_Strikes continues to be awesome and just made a new banner for the City map. Thank you again, I couldn't have done the OT without your help!

Jac_Solar

That map looks tiny going by the building sizes/scale, and by comparing it to some ingame shots where you can see across what appears to be the ocean between the islands.

A very rough estimate would put it at about 2-5 square miles in total of usable land, and far less if the middle of the large island isn't traversable? Is this even larger than the previous Lego games?

2534437.jpg
Lego Batman 2 maps

Lego City Undercover map from the mainpage.

Of course, they don't provide a scale, but the buildings and districts provide a sense of scale atleast.

Didn't they say that this Lego game was going to be the biggest of all the Lego games by far?

They also claimed that Lego Batman 2 was 500 square miles, which is most certainly not true or even remotely close to an accurate number.

Katana_Strikes continues to be awesome and just made a new banner for the City map. Thank you again, I couldn't have done the OT without your help!

Pleasure! I'm eagerly awaiting that free copy of the game you promised me in return ;)

But seriously this is definitely a game I'll pick up once I get a WiiU.

Rubius

I will buy it, and I do not expect it to be a GTA game but more of a fun open world game. Might make me buy the other legos games.

The Gamesweasel review makes it sound like it's once again not really an open world game. Most of the missions seem to be separate from that world.

Always seemed like an Arkham City-esque pseudo ,,open world'' to me (which really was just a big hub world), no surprises.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have a preorder in but in this case I'm happy for the ten day impressions buffer the earlier US launch give us Europeans.

CoolS

Why didn't Edge like it?

Two quotes from the edge thread:

30 second load times, poor driving controls, the game is too simplistic, lacks content.
It sounds like LEGO is not perhaps as open as was thought? It seems it's about as open world as LEGO Batman 2. There are very few buildings to get in to from the world and most missions take place in separate levels. Sounds like this was one of EDGE's complaints. It's basically a GTA-lite-lite.

Apparently there are long loads during the open world and getting in to missions and the vehicles control pretty bad.

EDGE also said it lacks identity compared to previous LEGO games.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
edge score did make me a little down on the game. I really wanted it to be a good lego game. Fingers crossed others like it, a real shame about the loading times to be sure. :(

Effect

well they dislike them for their faults, of which all the lego games so far suffer from, rather than TT fixing them, they reskin and crap out a new license

If something is in all games and hasn't changed are they really faults or purposeful design choices?

If they've given nearly all (or just all?) Lego games low scores that does make it easier to push their review off to the side for the time being.

Still looking forward to this. This and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

LOCK

I'm ready to play this just for the humor. The trailers have sold me on that aspect.

Plus riding a dino. Best idea ever.

CoolS

If something is in all games and hasn't changed are they really faults or purposeful design choices?

If they've given nearly all (or just all?) Lego games low scores that does make it easier to push their review off to the side for the time being.

Yeh do we have other edge review scores for lego games? just to get some context?

They gave Lego LOTR a 6. That's all I know.

zroid

Banned
Really nice OT. I was starting to get bummed by the EDGE review, but then I listened to a podcast last night where they spent about 15-20 minutes talking about how great it was (based on a demo), and my enthusiasm was renewed. :D

zroid

Banned
OP said:
Miiverse is integrated into the game. There is a camera in-game which allows you to take pictures. As long as you are online and logged in, you will be able to post your pictures onto Miiverse from within the game. So no need to start up Miiverse seperately.

oooh I didn't know about this, awesome!

Two quotes from the edge thread:

I believe Sammy admitted that quote wasn't from the EDGE review, just speculation on his part based on something he read elsewhere

Really nice OT. I was starting to get bummed by the EDGE review, but then I listened to a podcast last night where they spent about 15-20 minutes talking about how great it was (based on a demo), and my enthusiasm was renewed. :D

This is good news as I'm still craving a new Wii U exclusive and Monster Hunter isn't to my tastes. Which podcast?

Sqorgar

Banned
well they dislike them for their faults, of which all the lego games so far suffer from, rather than TT fixing them, they reskin and crap out a new license
That's a little unfair. The LEGO games can differ greatly from one to another and nobody does license fan service better than TT.

acm2000

horrendous platforming, awful path finding, lack of any depth what so ever, crazy basicness of the games which makes it dull even for children, broken wonky mechanics, etc etc

also lego star wars got a 7

i had hoped TT might have finally made changes, but so far it seems not

Rubius

horrendous platforming, awful path finding, lack of any depth what so ever, crazy basicness of the games which makes it dull even for children, broken wonky mechanics, etc etc

From what I heard, Batman 2 is actually a really cool game, and is even the best Superman game of this generation.

fritolay

Well that is quite the downer. I had high hopes for this game. :(

Rootbeer

Banned
Love the header image!

Early reviews be damned, nothing will stop me from buying this game. My Wii U has sat unused for TOO LONG. Been anticipating this for months.

It's only $49.99, too. Though like most LEGO games it should drop in price fast and be on discount frequently

I've enjoyed the LEGO games up till now... and I'm sure this will be no different... but I gotta say, as an aside, LEGO has really lost their way when it comes to these games. They really need to create a building game, after Minecraft they have no excuse not to go all-in and leverage their brand towards that market which has shown itself to be there and in large numbers.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The title of this thread should be something like 'We built this city on block and roll.'

Or something :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The title of this thread should be something like 'We built this city on block and roll.'

Or something :p

Or something like "Where we're going, there are no roads. Just blocks". Or something similar. XD

EDarkness

Only the Edge review was bad, but the rest so far have been fairly good. Long loads is a bit of a bummer, but I'm okay with that as long as roaming around the city is fun and there are things to do. I'm generally into the game for the humor and it lacks multiplayer (one thing I've hated about the other LEGO games) so that's a reason for me to jump in.

If all reviews from the game had been bad, then I'd be worried, but opinions are all over the place these days so just gotta sort these things out for ourselves.

Effect

I wonder if the load times are so long is because the game isn't streaming off the disc but everything is being loaded. Taking advantage of that ram but resulting in a negative? Makes me wonder what things will be like going forward.

As far as Wii U games go this is perhaps the first true full, quality Wii U game right? In that it wasn't originally started for anything else but the Wii U? Same can't be said for ZombiU (being Killer Freaks and before that something aimed at the 360/PS3), Pikmin 3 (Wii game originally), MH3U being a up-port, and NSMBU (2D Mario similar to the Wii and DS games). Nintendo Land doesn't count as it's a mini-game collection (a fun one) but not a full featured game.

Jackano

Seriously, the lego T-rex thing I just saw was the last thing I needed to convince myself to buy the game. I'm dead serious!

Top Bottom