• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jett Rocket II (3DS eshop - 60fps 3D) - First screens revealed

RM8

It's 800 x 480. Double the resolution in 2D
Using 3D doesn't really increase PPI, you're pretty much seeing 400x240 screen but in 3D. Pixels don't become "smaller", jaggies don't become less evident.

I mean:
screen23.jpg

VS

iCJh7rS.jpg

^ It's going to look more like the quoted pic without clicking on it (size-wise), just with jaggies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, how did Nano Assault Neo look?

...Yeah, right. I should have said their NEXT title on Wii U, when they'll have probably far more knowledge of the hardware.

Davey Cakes

No, I'm honestly curious. I didn't buy Nano Assault Neo. It's a small game apparently but if it looks good then it could represent what to expect later.

Obviously with more knowledge of the hardware they could do even better things though.

EVH

I would love to see some FAST with online and all.

This game looks as expected a technical masterpiece. Hope it is fun and not very expensive.

That is not correct, in 2D mode it is simply showing the same image to your left and right eye, so still just 400 x 240. Or slightly different images to create an AA effect.

No it's not, in 2D the paralax barrier is shut off, showing 1 single picture using the full resolution, thus enhancing the PPI considerably.
The physical resolution of the screen is 800x240, and that's what you're getting with the paralax barrier shut off.

I would love to see some FAST with online and all.

This game looks as expected a technical masterpiece. Hope it is fun and not very expensive.

Sign me up for that. Loved the game (even though the ship balancing was horrible)

Celine

BTW I'm quite certain the 3D (land) parts were added at a later time.
When the sequel was announced Manfred stated how it changed the genre...

Are there any 3DS games with good AA? SM3DLand, SSF4, and few others would look infinitely better with it.
Zen Pinball has the best AA I've seen on 3DS (even in 3D).

Plain physics. The screen is 800x240. The paralax barrier is diverting the vertical lines 1,3,5,7 etc to the left, 2,4,6,8 etc to the right. In 3D the system renders two images at 400x240 each. In 2D the full 800x240 is used on one framebuffer.

The paralax barrier is always visible in 3D, when the power is turned off, the light passes straight through, instead of aiming left/right respectively. If they would show the same picture on lines 1,3,5,7 as on lines 2,4,6,8 you would get a stretched image

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
a-a-b-b-c-c-d-d

This is physically impossible.

dlfFokV.jpg

^ This is how a 3DS game looks resolutiion-wise in both 2D and 3D, 3D just adds... 3D, but doesn't "increase PPI" in any way. If anything some people say games look jaggi-er in 3D.

The perceived PPI, it's not adding more pixels to the display of course. The PPI is at it's highest in 2D as you can actually see a single image in 800x240 as opposed to 3D which is 400x240 per eye. (which obviously looks jaggier)

RM8

I still disagree. You can't possibly perceive that Mario Kart pic I posted at twice its resolution by using either 3D or 2D. Also, there aren't any screens out there of a 3DS game at 800x240, of any game. Even with those capture kits for 3DS, games in 2D/3D are displayed at 400x240.

VariantX

Nintendo should snap these up, they know how to squeeze graphics out of a console.

They work with Nintendo HW because they want to, so really, they don't need to be snapped up by anyone else anyway. They've had the option to go anywhere else they wanted to for years.

I still disagree. You can't possibly perceive that Mario Kart pic I posted at twice its resolution by using 3D.

You don't, you're seeing it at 400x240 with each respective eye.

Either they render at 400x240 in 2D Mode Using 2px but that would actually increase Jaggies in 2D because it wouldn't use native resolution.

Portugeezer

I don't know about that. In 3D I notice the higher resolution, even on minimal 3D where the 3D effect isn't really there I notice everything looks crisper and shaper, and it's not jaggies because it happens with games which are jaggy in 2D too.

You are clueless it would seem.

Many games use extra power in 2D mode to add AA, some improve framerate, some do nothing, but seeing as you can't improve framerate from 60fps they could add AA in 2D mode.

RM8

Doesn't 2D simply show the same screen to both eyes? In such case it's still a 400x240 picture. Again, how come there's not one single one screen out there of a 3DS game at 800x240?

Also, in any case, these screens are 800x480. They're not running on 3DS regardless and will not look like that.

JordanN

Banned
Crazy ass normal maps. Wished more developers that weren't named Shinen or Capcom, actually used it [for 3DS].

Also, I wonder if they'll port/remake the original Jett Rocket to 3DS. I'll still end up picking up the sequel though.

Either they render at 400x240 in 2D Mode Using 2px but that would actually increase Jaggies in 2D because it wouldn't use native resolution.

Pretty sure this is exactly what happen in 2D mode....

The 400x240 image the GPU outputs is stretched to accomodate the 2x vertical pixels. If you have 3D Land you can see the effect of this clearly if you line up the the rectangular poles in the game correctly. You'll see the pixel grouping in 2D that gives the image a short of psuedo (it's barley ever effective) AA but in my opinion at the cost of a noticeably blurrier image.

fernoca

Looks as great as I was expecting. This and the upcoming re-release of Nano Assault on 3DS with mroe features!! Keep'em coming Shin'en and I'll keep buying'em!! :p

RM8

Pretty sure this is exactly what happen in 2D mode....

The 400x240 image the GPU outputs is stretched to accomodate the 2x vertical pixels. If you have 3D Land you can see the effect of this clearly if you line up the the rectangular poles in the game correctly. You'll see the pixel grouping in 2D that gives the image a short of psuedo (it's barley ever effective) AA but in my opinion at the cost of a noticeably blurrier image.
How would this work on 2D games like Epic Mickey, though? The sprites would get considerably distorted and it's not the case.

Zornica

Banned
Are there any 3DS games with good AA? SM3DLand, SSF4, and few others would look infinitely better with it.

there are a many like mario kart 7, monster hunter 3g or resident evil revelations.

They're way, way higher-res than an actual 3DS screen. That's the thing.

the devkit can render any resolution you want it to.

edit:
How would this work on 2D games like Epic Mickey, though? The sprites would get considerably distorted and it's not the case.

the 3ds isn't working with sprites, they are all flat polymodels. Back in the 1st mirror of fate thread, a developer from shinobi 3ds told us.

RM8

The only issue I have with that it's that the game is absolutely not going to look like that on a 3DS. It's quite literally going to look just half as good resolution-wise.

the 3ds isn't working with sprites, they are all flat polymodels. Back in the 1st mirror of fate thread, a developer from shinobi 3ds told us.
That appear as sprites on screen. And they look 100% the same in 2D and 3D in games like Epic Mickey or Fire Emblem, no distortion at all - that's why I think there's no pseudo-PPI-increase in either 2D or 3D.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The first screens scared me! Well duh, of course it can handle 60fps when it's a simple side scrolling game, is this what the fuss was about?! But it's good to see it's got fully 3D parts as well. Although it looks like they had to go for a more isometric overhead camera style, similar to 3D Land in fact, so concessions were made.

majik13

This is physically impossible.

dlfFokV.jpg

^ This is how a 3DS game looks resolutiion-wise in both 2D and 3D, 3D just adds... 3D, but doesn't "increase PPI" in any way. If anything some people say games look jaggi-er in 3D.

pretty sure it does increase ppi, at least from the viewers perspective. in 3d it is sending a lower res image to each eye. in 2d you get the full resolution of the screen for both eyes.

3d is 400x240 per eye
2d is 800x240 per eye

Boerseun

Banned
What is with this call for better artists? Their games look great (in my opinion). Art appreciation is completely objective, meaning just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is bad art.

RM8

2d is 800x240 per eye
I'm sure this is not the case. Mario Kart 7 in 2D looks exactly like the pic I posted to me, I'm not even sure how in 2D it could be in 800x240.

GeZvExB.jpg

^ That's 800x240.

Am I missing something? Does 3DS have ultra slim, vertically longer pixels or anything?

I'm sure this is not the case. Mario Kart 7 in 2D looks exactly like the pic I posted to me, I'm not even sure how in 2D it could be in 800x240.

GeZvExB.jpg

^ That's 800x240.

The problem is that 3DS is cheating. It's 800*240, but the pixels... they're not square.

pretty sure it does increase ppi, at least from the viewers perspective. in 3d it is sending a lower res image to each eye. in 2d you get the full resolution of the screen for both eyes.

3d is 400x240 per eye
2d is 800x240 per eye

I think it is the other way around: 400x240 for 2D, 800x240 for 3D, but split across two eyes.

Top Bottom