• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jett Rocket II (3DS eshop - 60fps 3D) - First screens revealed

RM8

Wow, for real? The pixels aren't square? I didn't even think that was possible. Still, I swear I don't perceive any increase in resolution while in 2D.

FLAguy954

The problem is that 3DS is cheating. It's 800*240, but the pixels... they're not square.

Yeah, GhostTrick is right. The 3DS has horizontally rectangular pixels in 2d mode (400*240) that 'split' into two normal pixels in 3d mode (800*240). It all in how the pixels work.

Wow, for real? The pixels aren't square? I didn't even think that was possible. Still, I swear I don't perceive any increase in resolution while in 2D.

It's hard to perceive because the pixels change but the effective 'screen space' (5.3 inches) remains constant, if that makes sense.

RM8

That kind of blows my mind, haha. Wouldn't everything look super thin in 2D mode, given the huge disparity between 800x240 and the 3DS' screen proportions, though?

As far as I'm aware you don't see an increase of resolution because what you're seeing is supersampling. That's how 3DS games gains free AA when in 2D mode.

FLAguy954

That kind of blows my mind, haha. Wouldn't everything look super thin in 2D mode, given the huge disparity between 800x240 and the 3DS' screen proportions, though?

If you noticed, the 3DS sort of gets 'free' AA because of how the pixels blend together in 2d mode. It is also the reason why DS game tend to look blurry to some people.

majik13

the only game I noticed really, is RE:R in 2d either the res is increased or they add much better AA.

also most tvs, or maybe older tvs have rectanglish pixels, I think the ratio was only .9 though. non square pixels are not unheard of.

wsippel

Banned
I'm sure this is not the case. Mario Kart 7 in 2D looks exactly like the pic I posted to me, I'm not even sure how in 2D it could be in 800x240.

GeZvExB.jpg

^ That's 800x240.

Am I missing something? Does 3DS have ultra slim, vertically longer pixels or anything?
Pixels don't have to be square. In fact, many resolutions, especially in film, use non-square pixels. And the pixels in the 3DS top screen happen to be twice as high as they are wide:

That's what the screen looks like under a microscope.

Hale-XF11

Technically impressive as always, but...the art direction is very generic and lacks charm. Still, I'm all over it because I desperately desire a new 3D platformer on the 3DS.

RM8

It is also the reason why DS game tend to look blurry to some people.
No, this is actually not related at all. If you stretch a DS screenshot to fit a ---x240 "screen" in Photoshop it looks exactly like a DS game on 3DS. Blurry DS games are simply blurry because of the different resolutions.

majik13

No, this is actually not related at all. If you stretch a DS screenshot to fit a ---x240 "screen" in Photoshop it looks exactly like a DS game on 3DS. Blurry DS games are simply blurry because of the different resolutions.

yeah, its basically having to create new pixels, because of pixel difference. Thus making it the image less accurate and blurry, depending on the filter algorithm that they use to create the new pixels.

RM8

Still, isn't it weird that in DS mode in native resolution (tiny screen mode) the pixels look perfectly square? Is the because it assigns a "DS pixel" for every 2x1 3DS pixels? This is pretty interesting :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
yeah, its basically having to create new pixels, because of pixel difference. Thus making it the image less accurate and blurry, depending on the filter algorithm that they use to create the new pixels.

Wish there was a way to disable any filters, stretched pixels are fine by me as long as they aren't blurred. Oh well, at least 1:1 mode looks great on the XL's :)

wsippel

Banned
Still, isn't it weird that in DS mode in native resolution (tiny screen mode) the pixels look perfectly square? Is the because it assigns a "DS pixel" for every 2x1 3DS pixels? This is pretty interesting :p
Exactly. The pixel aspect is 0.5:1. If you just double every column, you'll get what appears like perfectly square pixels.

majik13

Wish there was a way to disable any filters, stretched pixels are fine by me as long as they aren't blurred. Oh well, at least 1:1 mode looks great on the XL's :)

maybe, not sure of the results you would get on 3ds, but when you disable pixel filtering in a composting program you will get pretty harsh artifacting, very noticeable hard lines and edges running across the image, etc. I am sure, or hope, they chose the best solution/compromise for their filtering.

But it would be nice if they gave some options I guess. In the high end program I use for feature films, I tend to find the default filter a bit heavy handed, and I tend to go with something sharper. But completely disabling the filter, definitely tends to look the worse.

at the same time we are not doing just basic static scale ups, usually images are being projected, animated, skewed, bent, warped, etc, etc. so I dont know.

Lijik

I wouldn't say artstyle so much as character design. They need to make a mascot for themselves.

Its kind of funny, in both games I think everything looks fantastic but Jett himself. The kooky robot enemies in 1 have super fun designs.
I dont know how I feel about new Jett, he looks like a suited up Flint Lockwood with none of the charm.

But if the game is anywhere near as good as the original Jett Rocket (which i LOVE) then i dont care if the character is generic. And 60fps in 3d? Good lord!

EDIT- They really need to change the graphic for the oxygen meter if they dont already plan to. Looks bad and out of place

I don't believe it's possible to take advantage higher horizontal resolution in 2D, the pixels are always doubled into a square shape. The parallax barrier is turned off but that's to give a better picture from multiple angles and the backlight only needs to be half as bright. Some games do add anti aliasing in 2D mode and it wouldn't surprise me if Jett Rocket turns out to be one of them.

M3d10n

They're way, way higher-res than an actual 3DS screen. That's the thing.

Any game you see using AA on the 3DS is actually rendering at a higher resolution and downsampling, since the way the GPU works isn't compatible with MSAA.

Both Zen Pinball and Marvel Pinball run at 800x480 resolution. In 3D.

beril

pretty sure it does increase ppi, at least from the viewers perspective. in 3d it is sending a lower res image to each eye. in 2d you get the full resolution of the screen for both eyes.

3d is 400x240 per eye
2d is 800x240 per eye

This is wrong. There is no way to to output 800x240 to the screen in 2D mode. I guess it should be physically possible, but it's not supported in the SDK, and the limitation is probably hardwired into the hardware on some level as well.

You can of course use downsampling to get AA; but this is not really related to 2D mode. It's entirely possible to do in 3D as well, but of course it will take more resources, and the reason many devs have AA in 2D is that it's an convinnient way to use the extra resources otherwise used for stereoscopic rendering.

rjc571

Banned
The screens they're showing have me worried -- Is the majority of the gameplay going to be sidescrolling, as the screens seem to suggest? That would be a shame, since I was hoping this would be the first 3D platformer worth a damn since Mario 3D Land.

Hale-XF11

Looks like they're throwing all their eggs in one basket and introducing multiple genres, not just 2D sidescrolling. But yeah, I would rather it be all 3D platforming.

VanWinkle

This is wrong. There is no way to to output 800x240 to the screen in 2D mode. I guess it should be physically possible, but it's not supported in the SDK, and the limitation is probably hardwired into the hardware on some level as well.

You can of course use downsampling to get AA; but this is not really related to 2D mode. It's entirely possible to do in 3D as well, but of course it will take more resources, and the reason many devs have AA in 2D is that it's an convinnient way to use the extra resources otherwise used for stereoscopic rendering.

I was going to say, if 2D was outputting 800x240, then direct feed screens would be greatly stretched horizontally (which they aren't).

damn, these guys know how to push hardware

Yup, I've just been playing the Wii U version of Nano Assault Neo and am REALLY tempted to double dip so I can play it in 3D. Can't wait to see what they're going to come up with next for the Wii U, I think they said they were going to play around with tesselation next.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm sure this is not the case. Mario Kart 7 in 2D looks exactly like the pic I posted to me

I can't even begin to understand how you can say that unless your're viewing that pic from the 3DS browser and most definitely on a screen/device with a different ppi to boot.

Even when watching 3DS direct feed images on, say, an iPad Mini, it doesn't reflect how the game is going to look on 3DS. 99% of the times it'll look less jaggier (without even taking into account that some games employ AA when played in 2D).

RM8

@Dash Kappei: Well, that goes without saying (the different PPI), I don't mean that I can put my 3DS screen next to that screenshot and they're the exact same size and all - we're clearly talking about resolution here, and nope, resolution is not doubled when in 2D as confirmed by beril now.

Top Bottom