• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom: Multiplayer Update: All DLC free, new leveling system, new UI, more

VariantX

Season passes for multiplayer maps are on the way out. If they wanted to support this game properly and try to fix the multiplayer, this was the only thing they could do even if it annoys the few who actually bought the season pass.

Personally, if I'd bought it I wouldn't really care. It's what's best for the game. I actually like the multiplayer in Doom for the most part, I like how it feels and flows. I'm glad the hack module system is being replaced; that was one of the parts that didn't feel like it fit.

Pretty much CoD is going to be odd man out that can legitimately get away with it. Not even EA is doing it anymore with Star Wars, and given the changes to BF1's MP that allows friends to play with friends on DLC maps they didn't even buy, its likely gone from the next mainline BF game.

Oh great, how much more space is another update going to add for this game?

The only reason why I have this game uninstalled is because it freakin takes up 80 gigs of space on a harddrive.

Experien

Now you get full access to the bloated file size and not just part of it.

It just takes up too much space on my HDD to bother with again.

Looks like I'll have to disable updates for this game if I dont want it to be 100+gigs then. Seriously, fuck current gen game sizes. Id be okay with downloading a lower quality version if it meant it was only 40 gigs.

Steiner

Banned
DAMN. So $15 for the full game plus all DLC. If you haven't played DOOM yet, now is the time. One of the best surprises of 2016 by far.

RedFury

Just a heads up look forward to an 88+gb download.

Looks like I'll have to disable updates for this game if I dont want it to be 100+gigs then. Seriously, fuck current gen game sizes. Id be okay with downloading a lower quality version if it meant it was only 40 gigs.
Force MP and snapmap "features".

Nere

Doom multiplayer is bad. I will never understand why ID didn't make a single player expansion or something, that's what everyone loved about DOOM.

Holy shit, that sounds amazing!

I loved the beta, had a major Halo 3 flashback there and i'm in freaking love with the motion blur, that is pure sex in this game but i didn't bought it on release. I bought it a few months later, tried the multiplayer again but could find the right spot there, maybe the playing people were too good already, now, this is a chance to finally dip into it as deep as it gets because this could be the multiplayer that i loved 10 years ago and more but never really came back.

Time to get it out of my shelf again.

Is it live yet?

This is a good gesture, but only because it probably wasnt selling well ( the dlc )

And what about the people who bought the season pass/dlc?

It's not live on Steam atm. Surprised they did this.

Still though, MP is just boring when you can only have 2 weapons to swap between.

rockyt

I did not play multiplayer on Doom. I still play Doom. Such an awesome game to waste free time. Anyway I am personally happy that more people can enjoy this awesome game.

Syf

Banned
Sounds great. I actually enjoyed the mp except for the dumb hack modules and lack of players. Guess I'm reinstalling.

For those that haven't, BUY IT. It's legitimately one of the best shooters of last year, in what was a STACKED year for shooters. I'd rate it, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Gears 4, and Overwatch as my favorites.

Chozo_Lord

I have no interest in the Doom multiplayer whatsoever, but this feels like a bit of a shitty move for the fans who paid up for the season pass.

If the player-counts were really low and I was a veteran of the game and paid for the season pass, I wouldn't be mad because it means more new players to help revive the game that's been out for a while. More devs should do this where if a multiplayer game is past it's prime, make the season pass free to incentive more people to play an older game. Another problem is season passes fragment the playerbase which is worse when the playercount is low (though I think Doom already solved this problem before).

Kaji AF16

Time to reinstall, to give the multiplayer another chance, to go for those last achiements, and to evangelize this great game among those who don´t have it yet.

Zemm

I have no interest in the Doom multiplayer whatsoever, but this feels like a bit of a shitty move for the fans who paid up for the season pass.

I doubt there were many and they now get to play with and against a lot more people. Plus that epeen badge.

Great update for people who are still playing multiplayer.

I genuinely just don't understand why ID does not create SP DLC. The market and questions are there.

They can easily sell one expansion for 30 bucks if it only has 4 hours worth of content.

And what about the people who bought the season pass/dlc?

These people are the reason why the servers are still online and why they could create such a big update with such a big overhaul in the first place.

You can feel good about it, with your money this game got a new coat of paint and you can enjoy it from new again.

See it from that direction.

Top Bottom