• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita version of Salt and Sanctuary releasing on March 28th

BumRush

Yoshi has done this in so many threads. Really not sure why he hates the game this much - enough to continuously try to dissuade people from purchasing.

I truly hope folks see through those posts as it's definitely worth the money. It has some issues (I for one do not like the character art at all) but it was easily one of my 2016 GOTYs.

Yoshi has done this in so many threads. Really not sure why he hates the game this much - enough to continuously try to dissuade people from purchasing.

I truly hope folks see through those posts as it's definitely worth the money. It has some issues (I for one do not like the character art at all) but it was easily one of my 2016 GOTYs.
It's one thing to hate a game, even if its made by a husband and wife (i think?) Couple who obviously made this as a labour of love. But to try to stop them from making money is flipping pathetic haha.

To anyone on the fence about its difficulty, I played this co-op with my gf, who's fave game is fez, and we both loved it, from start to finish, the exploring, the boss fights, the distress of finding new bonfires and running back to your corpse, was well worth the money for us :)

Virdix

I promised that I'd do my best in order to stop people from buying this turd of a game. Even if I manage to stop one person, that'll be more than enough for me to feel well this Friday evening.

Avoid at all cost.
Fight the good fight, keep that indie dev couple from earning sales on something they put years of their lives into.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I love yoshi and all but he doesn't like the dev for whatever reason. Think it was a fallout between them, I think he tested the game for awhile.
The game changed a lot, and not for the better good.
Yes, holy shit. In three (!) threads, in which one of them was in the |OT|. People do this all the fucking time. And since when was three times "so many threads", compared to what you see other posters do for other games? Or should I start quoting people whenever the same person drive-by-hate-posts on each and every fucking LTTP-FFXIII-thread?

BumRush

Pathetic stance.

It is.

This is a (predominantly) video-game-focused forum. The S&S devs poured their hearts into the game and to intentionally try to stifle sales goes against what this forum is about. I wish he'd stop doing it in every thread about the game.

Skyzard

Banned
Game looks sweet! Awesome stuff!

Yoshichan if you're going to shit on the game that way you'd think you'd have more negative things to say than your first complaints that the art and music aren't to your taste.

Is the game balance that bad? It was the last thing he mentioned.

I remember Jason from GB loved this game and I was looking forward to it.

renzolama

I agree with the art, I personally don't like it. I disagree with everything else Yoshi mentioned, I liked the game a lot more than I thought I would.

I really dislike the art...not just because it's ugly, but because it obfuscates the game and makes it very difficult to tell the difference between foreground and background in many of the game environments. You will walk into traps and enemies over and over again until you memorize exactly where they're at because they blend into the background like camouflage. I fear this will be even worse on the vita version than it was on the PS4 version I played.

That being said, I really like the rest of the game. I stopped playing the PS4 version about halfway through to wait on the vita version so I can take it on the go.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Game looks sweet! Awesome stuff!

Yoshichan if you're going to shit on the game that way you'd think you'd have more negative things to say than your first complaints that the art and music aren't to your taste.

Is the game balance that bad? It was the last thing he mentioned.

I remember Jason from GB loved this game and I was looking forward to it.
Are you serious right now? Am I being trolled? Why would you assume that my rant follows some sort of priority list, with top being most important? How about actually reading my post where I clearly say that the jittery combat should be enough to reduce the main score of the game by 5. Did you take in account this part of the post? Or should I have put it at the top of my post with double bold for further confirmation?

All the renewed talk about portables w/ Switch compelled me to break out my Vita. I still love the platform. Been playing a lot of Resogun and Spelunky. Will definitely buy Salt and Sanctuary.

Yoshichan

It is.

This is a (predominantly) video-game-focused forum. The S&S devs poured their hearts into the game and to intentionally try to stifle sales goes against what this forum is about. I wish he'd stop doing it in every thread about the game.
Oh, it was made by two people and they poured their hearts into the game. Well then, let's just pretend that the game is good even if it's shit. Actually, let's lower our entire expectation-bar for games with less developers than 10. And if gamebreaking bugs appear, or when the game is horribly designed; let's completely avoid those fact. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings, right?

Skyzard

Banned
Are you serious right now? Am I being trolled? Why would you assume that my rant follows some sort of priority list, with top being most important? How about actually reading my post where I clearly say that the jittery combat should be enough to reduce the main score of the game by 5. Did you take in account this part of the post? Or should I have put it at the top of my post with double bold for further confirmation?

What exactly is jittery combat? I'm watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnvaRcD-T-U

And it looks good. I check the metacritic and it's 84% with a user score of 8.1 with a lot of the posts praising the combat.

And that's a 2D game for PS4. I imagine if the Vita port is good it'll be even more awesome to play on a handheld.

Reading polygon's review of 9/10 they don't make any mention of it, and Jason from GB who likes dark souls loved the combat.

You mentioned combat and just say it's jittery :S What does that mean exactly that's enough to knock off 50% of the game's enjoyment for you?

Maybe if a lot of people buy this, Sony/Atlus will port Demon's Souls to Vita...

gif-of-lisa-kudrow-laughing-gif.gif

Yoshichan

What exactly is jittery combat? I'm watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnvaRcD-T-U

And it looks good. I check the metacritic and it's 84% with a user score of 8.1

And that's for PS4. I imagine if the Vita port is good it'll be even more awesome to play on a handheld.

Reading polygon's review of 9/10 they don't make any mention of it, and Jason from GB who likes dark souls loved the combat.

You mentioned combat right at the end of your post and just say it's jittery :S
I've probably spent over 500 hours watching this game go from nothing to full release. I know what the game looks like in motion; and it does by all means look fine. It's not until when you start playing and realize the terrible hitboxes, jittery (or rather rigid) animations and the lack of overall flow during combat. Something that is much clearer once you actually start playing.

Shizuka

Oh, it was made by two people and they poured their hearts into the game. Well then, let's just pretend that the game is good even if it's shit. Actually, let's lower our entire expectation-bar for games with less developers than 10. And if gamebreaking bugs appear, or when the game is horribly designed; let's completely avoid those fact. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings, right?

Consensus points that it's not.

Yoshichan

Also, let's not bring ratings into the whole thing. Dark Souls is universally praised but that is also a fucking disaster of a game. Review critics mean jack because most people honestly have no idea how to even rate games. In the case of Dark Souls 1; "Oh the game is so good up until the late 60% in which it suddenly drops into the shitter. Hm, what do we give this game? Let's look at the other reviewers! Oh they ignored the fact that the game becomes a mess later on and they give it a 10 and praise it to be the best game of all time? Let's do the same! BEST GAME OF ALL TIME!"

Reviewers, especially when it comes to this genre, have no idea what they're talking about.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

This is getting pretty weird Yoshi.... It's just a thread about a port of a game (that was by all accounts pretty well received overall). You felt the need to have your piece for some reason and that's fine but it's time to let it go

Wow, nice. Already platinumed but would love to play again on the go. Maybe I'll try a magic focused character this time around.

P.S. Ignore Yoshi-chan.

Not gonna port beg, but man, I really hope it'll release on that other handheld.

No-one releases anything on the PSP any more dude.

Also, let's not bring ratings into the whole thing. Dark Souls is universally praised but that is also a fucking disaster of a game. Review critics mean jack because most people honestly have no idea how to even rate games. In the case of Dark Souls 1; "Oh the game is so good up until the late 60% in which it suddenly drops into the shitter. Hm, what do we give this game? Let's look at the other reviewers! Oh they ignored the fact that the game becomes a mess later on and they give it a 10 and praise it to be the best game of all time? Let's do the same! BEST GAME OF ALL TIME!"

Reviewers, especially when it comes to this genre, have no idea what they're talking about.

Because the good outweighs the bad? You could say the same about the original Halo which is one of the most acclaimed FPSs ever. Half-Life 2 has awful pacing and is full of dull sections in its middle. Portal 2 becomes a boring 'hunt the white tiled wall' in the middle. There are a ton of acclaimed games that have low points.

Yoshichan

This is getting pretty weird Yoshi.... It's just a thread about a port of a game (that was by all accounts pretty well received overall). You felt the need to have your piece for some reason and that's fine but it's time to let it go
Why? People are attacking me whilst probably not even having spent half the time that I've dedicated to this garbage (the amount of times I've given this game another chance is absurd).

renzolama

Also, let's not bring ratings into the whole thing. Dark Souls is universally praised but that is also a fucking disaster of a game. Review critics mean jack because most people honestly have no idea how to even rate games. In the case of Dark Souls 1; "Oh the game is so good up until the late 60% in which it suddenly drops into the shitter. Hm, what do we give this game? Let's look at the other reviewers! Oh they ignored the fact that the game becomes a mess later on and give it a 10 and praise it to be the best game of all time? Let's do the same! BEST GAME OF ALL TIME!"

Can you think of any other controversial but irrelevant opinions you'd like to share here? Which other universally loved games do you hate?

Yoshichan

Can you think of any other controversial but irrelevant opinions you'd like to share here?
It's relevant because people that haven't played the game look at reviews and instantly determine if it's worth a purchase or not.

Anything else you'd want to add to your bitter comment?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Why? People are attacking me whilst probably not even having spent half the time that I've dedicated to this garbage (the amount of times I've given this game another chance is absurd).

It's weird you felt everyone in the thread needed your hot take in the first place but at this point you're just ranting and trolling. We don't need you to defend us from the game, it's okay. You're entitled to your opinion but the ranting and trolling is unnecessary and unneeded.

Yoshichan

It's weird you felt everyone in the thread needed your hot take in the first place but at this point you're just ranting and trolling. We don't need you to defend us from the game, it's okay. You're entitled to your opinion but the ranting and trolling is unnecessary and unneeded.
I went into the thread with my opinions. And how the fuck am I trolling? I'm simply answering some of the stupidity that I've encountered in this thread.

Holy shit, the sensitivity on some people.

Anyway, I'm not going to be posting here anymore. I should've known better; how dare I articulate myself in a thread in which we know the positives are gonna overstride the negatives. It's funny though, isn't it? In a FFXIII thread, it's fully acceptable to leash on to the hate. Say anything good and you're determined to be the "victim" - but it's the complete opposite in this case.

Peace, fellow Souls-lovers.

I don't understand why Yoshichan couldn't be as critical as he's being.

The consensus seems to be that the game inherently deserves support. It scored an 84 Meta; it will survive a critical post (or ten) from a GAFer. If you feel burned by your purchase, you should be able to say so without being accused of trolling or some shit. Especially if you put in the effort to extensively back up why you feel that way.

No-one releases anything on the PSP any more dude.

Aaayyyyy

autoduelist

It's okay to say a game is not for you and to move on. It's ridiculous that you need to try and deny sales for a game because you didn't enjoy it. And it kind of sounds like you aren't good at or don't understand these kinds of games, which is not the game's/developer's fault.

As for everyone else. This was one of the best games released last year. If you haven't already done so, BUY IT and give it a try.

Well, his blatantly biased review succeeded in convincing me to buy day 1 for vita, rather than waiting for a sale. It read like hate mail to a souls game, and I love souls games. That, plus the rave reviews here let me know I'll love the game enough to justify day 1.

The consensus seems to be that the game inherently deserves support. It scored an 84 Meta; it will survive a critical post (or ten) from a GAFer. If you feel burned by your purchase, you should be able to say so without being accused of trolling or some shit. Especially if you put in the effort to extensively back up why you feel that way.

Aaayyyyy

There is a difference between criticism and bias. While I haven't played the game yet, it's pretty clear there is a lack of... evenness in his review. There are games I hate that others love, but that doesn't mean I'm going to become a hate ball trying to stop other people from playing it. Rather, I'd understand that many others love the game and would structure my criticisms of it as such. As it is, it immediately rings false... agenda driven nonsense.

Mailbox

I went into the thread with my opinions. And how the fuck am I trolling? I'm simply answering some of the stupidity that I've encountered in this thread.

Holy shit, the sensitivity on some people.

Anyway, I'm not going to be posting here anymore. I should've known better; how dare I articulate myself in a thread in which we know the positives are gonna overstride the negatives. It's funny though, isn't it? In a FFXIII thread, it's fully acceptable to leash on to the hate. Say anything good and you're determined to be the "victim" - but it's the complete opposite in this case.

Peace, fellow Souls-lovers.

SE isn't an indie dev.

Aaayyyyy

theres a difference between being critical and openingly having a vendetta against a game and constantly clamoring that noone should ever play it and that they would feel good for any failure it meets.

Reckheim

Beat it on the PC but I might get this if i ever go on a lengthy trip one day.

Absolutely amazing game.

Edit: Yoshichan has a right to an opinion. I may not agree with him but people seems to be a bit sensitive around here. He didn't like a game and gave reasons for it so let it be.

As for anyone discouraged by his comments, I wouldn't be. If you like Souls games you're most likely to like this game.

Skyzard

Banned
I've probably spent over 500 hours watching this game go from nothing to full release. I know what the game looks like in motion; and it does by all means look fine. It's not until when you start playing and realize the terrible hitboxes, jittery (or rather rigid) animations and the lack of overall flow during combat. Something that is much clearer once you actually start playing.

So I'm going through the other thread and searched for combat and these are the responses, a lot of them are in reply to you:

I completely disagree. This is some of my favourite combat in a 2D game ever, and I never felt like it was unresponsive or the game let me down in that regard. Maybe you needed a lighter character build or a faster weapon?

Unresponsive? Imbalanced, artificial difficulty? Is this serious or are you just fishing for some kind of tag extension?

All of those points should have (subjective) on them and I can't say I agree with any of them.

Everything about this is 100% wrong.

Salt and Sanctuary is quite possibly the best indie game I've ever played and I'm happy PC users can finally experience it soon. :)

Of all the people I thought would really like this game, I'd thought it'd be Yoshican. Guess I was wrong.

Brilliant game. Loved it. One of the best games of 2016!

Wishlisted. Played on PS4 and love it. The only reason I am buying this on PC is to show my support to the devs.

Never played their previous games but the combat here is reminiscent of the Souls series.

I've heard one of their previous games is kind of like a side scrolling Devil May Cry. This is definitely NOT that. It's much slower/more deliberate.

:\ I used to respect your opinions, but this post contains such massive amounts of bullshit that that's no longer the case. Aside from your blatantly subjective hate for the art and music (I agree about the character art, but the environments are fantastic), this entire post is just wrong on every level, especially on the most recent patch. And rolling has always been responsive. You probably got wrecked wearing heavy armor, which shortens your roll length/speed and makes it harder to roll to the other side of bosses, like so many other posters in this thread who hated on the rolling.

I recall you being mad at the devs over some nonsense, Yoshi not like this and I like you.

To everyone the game is awesome currently in my top 3 best games of 2016 so far.

Yoshi, I usually agree with your video game tastes but in my opinion you couldn't be any further from the truth here.

Have no idea how to answer you. What makes combat "indie"? I felt it was very weighty and fun, parry+combo system is incredibly implemented, and the weapon depth was extreme... Does that help? I can't identify if that would be "indie" or not, lots of games can boast the same - like Valdis Story for instance.

Fantastic game. Put over 45 hours into it. Hopefully Steam folk will give it a chance, it deserves it.

What do you consider to be "indie" combat" exactly? Any examples? Valdis Story has great combat, for one thing (though S&S's is very different).
FWIW I find the combat and movement in S&S to be far better and more polished than, say, Igavania games, and those aren't indie.

I'm loving this game so far. I am playing a Thief and the combat is just so satisfying! I have beat the first 5 bosses and am low 20's. Haven't really settled on a second weapon, kind of curious about pistols, anyone have any experience/advice about them? I have upgraded my midshipmen's dirk to 3, is it worth it to keep pumping mats into this? I also noticed I could transmute it at the alchemist to a shiv 2 or something, it had higher damage but dex scaling was only A instead of S... is that worth it or is it a better idea to keep the S scaling? Thanks guys!

In complete agreement with just about everything you wrote. Similar experiences too.

Such a great mix of genres. I can't remember the last metriodvania game I was this content to just aimlessly backtrack and see what new loot caches I can find with my new traversal abilities, due to how fun and satisfying the combat is, and how much gear there is.

Man parries and ripostes feel so good. So does dodging around and through huge bosses and enemies ala Souls. I can't think of a better way to translate that kind of combat to 2D.

So far I've seen one person say that without question the combat and controls in this game are horrible and broken. I'm too lazy to quote them and not trying to dogpile or whatever, so I'll just ask: is there anybody else who even remotely agrees with this? I've played about 2 hours and I have to say I haven't experienced this at all. Rolling doesn't seem broken, enemy attacks can be tough but not impossible to predict and I haven't been corner trapped by infinity attacking enemies or whatever. As far as I can tell the controls and combat are nearly perfect.

Not even close.

It plays incredibly well and I haven't felt any issues whatsoever in 5-6 hours.

Been playing this for a few hours. It's very fun. I would highly recommend it. Anybody who saw folks giving negative feedback and had doubts should not let it stop them from giving it a try.

I would disagree. I think the combat it great, especially for a 2d game. I would say the game if fair challenging. Parrying feels great, weapons have cool move-sets ect.. everything I could want in a game.

Only one person in the whole thread described the combat as "mashy" and there aren't any replies. Others saying it's slow and deliberate, souls-like combat.

I mean, I guess I appreciate the warning if you feel that strongly but it doesn't seem to fit in line with the consensus, which you could have mentioned or hinted at as others will probably not feel the same way you do...

My only concern is how the vita port is now tbh.

Opa-Pa

I'm all preventing people from buying truly awful games, like broken, buggy or offensively bad ones... But this? I went into SaS with relatively low expectations as a huge Souls (and Metroidvania!) fan but it absolutely blew me away. It really is a wonderful adaptation of the formula to 2D and one of the most mechanically sound Metroidvania games out there, the combat is great.

I also found it relatively easy for someone accustomed to 2D action games, so I didn't struggle much.

And it's not like I'm against criticism of the game either, I accept that not everyone will dig the art style, because yes it's weird as hell and I had to adapt to it rather than enjoy it.

Not to mention this is an indie game made by two people, c'mon, I'm not saying you have to give it a pass because of it, but try not to actively work against their relative success. Indie game sale numbers, unlike with big companies, actually can make or break a studio. You can politely express what you didn't like about a game like this, but that approach was kind of messed up IMO.

Mutant

theres a difference between being critical and openingly having a vendetta against a game and constantly clamoring that noone should ever play it and that they would feel good for any failure it meets.
That and the "ive been following the game for 500 hours" line comes off as a little... yeah...

AwShucks

What did the devs do to you yoshi?

Maybe he had different ideas for the game.

The consensus on the game is that it's good from players and reviewers. And while that doesn't make it so everyone must love the game, most people don't act like the developers personally insulted them when they don't like a game. Maybe a simple "I don't understand why people seem to like this game, it didn't do anything for me".

It's a shame how Vita has been effectively zombified at the level of OS/system support and manufacturing. The form factor and the hardware capabilities will be totally sufficient to get indie games for years to come. I'd love a version of Factorio or Risk of Rain on it for example.

SE isn't an indie dev.

There is a difference between criticism and bias. While I haven't played the game yet, it's pretty clear there is a lack of... evenness in his review. There are games I hate that others love, but that doesn't mean I'm going to become a hate ball trying to stop other people from playing it. Rather, I'd understand that many others love the game and would structure my criticisms of it as such. As it is, it immediately rings false... agenda driven nonsense.
You posting on two accounts simultaneously? ;)

I don't think you should take 'stop others from playing' so literally. It's meant as a warning re: his personal experience with the game.

Especially when a game is critically lauded, I think a well-argumented outlier opinion is valuable, and that's what I think this was.

Maybe Yoshi played S&S with a broken toe (or finger was it?)like he did with Dark Souls 1.

"Hey guys, I just broke something in my body but instead of seeking medical attention I'm going to keep playing DS1 and ignore the pain cause you know, priorities."

Skyzard

Banned
It's a shame how Vita has been effectively zombified at the level of OS/system support and manufacturing. The form factor and the hardware capabilities will be totally sufficient to get indie games for years to come. I'd love a version of Factorio or Risk of Rain on it for example.

Risk of Rain is on Vita :)

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Well I've got 50% good news for you anyway....

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-au/games/risk-of-rain/cid=EP0338-CUSA04241_00-2488202488202490

I had a lot of fun with the Vita version of Risk of Rain

Top Bottom