• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

0001.gif

Kendrick is a media darling on the most powerful record label. His career is basically inflated by white people on a continuous loop telling you how great he is. Nevermind no one can name a quotable line from most of his songs or albums.

I thought DAMN had some really good songs. It also has songs that sound like bad attempts at radio, or other people's styles. It's a more commercial album yet no reviews discussed it as such.

It's his best album but that's not saying much.

Nah it's his worst album.

overcast

Ok. Someone gotta explain these retarded spinners to my old ass. I know what they are, but how the fuck did this shit take off? Literally every fucking convenience store has a "fidget spinners sold here" sign.
The kids aren't alright.
This Thugger album is fucking amazing

Jeffery was booty y'all
Actually this one is booty. Jeffrey was okay. Seriously this album is goddamn trash aside from Till Infinity

Kendrick is a media darling on the most powerful record label. His career is basically inflated by white people on a continuous loop telling you how great he is. Nevermind no one can name a quotable line from most of his songs or albums.

I thought DAMN had some really good songs. It also has songs that sound like bad attempts at radio, or other people's styles. It's a more commercial album yet no reviews discussed it as such.

It's his best album but that's not saying much.

I dont agree about your assessment of DAMN, but yes, Kendrick has always been a cause celebre for obnoxious White hip hop fans who throw around terms like "real hip hop."
He likely reminds these types of people of Eminem, with the wordplay and the diverse flows.
I only have an issue with Kendrick stans when they shit on other, equally legitimate forms of hip hop. Like Future, Migos and Young Thug, who they hate because they feel culturally alienated by those type of rappers.
Those type of "fans" and that corrosive mindset is exactly why the rock genre been fucking stagnant since the early 2000s. We dont need them infecting hip hop with their bullshit.

Icolin

Banned
We're gonna act like white rap fans aren't obnoxious about Young Thug. Read a Pitchfork review.. yeesh

Stuff like this?:
More than anything, Barter 6 feels like a 50-minute performance of what rap, as a form, can do: rap that need not transcend itself, towards High Art on one hand or commercial art on the other, in order to succeed in 2015.

I mean, I like Young Thug, but this is hilarious.

overcast

Kendrick attracts "real rap" fans of course given his lyrical content. But he has gone platinum on each of his releases and is one of the most relevant rappers of the modern day and has been for 5 years.

If you're getting bugged by an outspoken (admittedly annoying) minority of fans that's more your issue than the artist/music. It's okay to be annoyed but I don't think it should be internalized as a reason to discredit work.

We're gonna act like white rap fans aren't obnoxious about Young Thug. Read a Pitchfork review.. yeesh
If Thug had a White fanbase his album sales would be alot more respectable. Has he sold above 60k even once?
This is a man whose always in the headlines, always being featured on the heavy hitters albums. But even JoeyBadA$$ can put up better numbers than him.

Kendrick attracts "real rap" fans of course given his lyrical content. But he has gone platinum on each of his releases and is one of the most relevant rappers of the modern day and has been for 5 years.

If you're getting bugged by an outspoken (admittedly annoying) minority of fans that's more your issue than the artist/music. It's okay to be annoyed but I don't think it should be internalized as a reason to discredit work.
I dont think these types of people are some minor number. 250 thousand of them bought a Logic album.

overcast

Thug clearly has a white fan base it's just that Young Thug appeals to a small crowd online. There isn't much traction there period. He gets nice streaming numbers (i think) but he doesn't have "fans". Joey Badass and these other guys built names off touring and hyping projects. Thug drops 4 a year and they are filled with shit nobody plays. Honestly. No sales for a reason.

Thugger is basically a 300 creation. White hipster rap fans like him, but not enough to translate to numbers. Pitchfork types love him, that's about it.

Look at the marketing for his new project. That shit aimed entirely at white people, and it still flopped.

overcast

Not a single white person I know in real life enjoys Thug
Enjoys? I know plenty of people who enjoy thug. But I haven't met many admitting to being fans of young thug. Which is my point.

He makes dope music but a lot of it is either too out there or plain whack.

Young Thug and the majority of trap rappers don't a have a solid fanbase. They're only as relevant as their latest club banger. Look what happened to Rich Home Quan, dude had one of the biggest club and urban radio songs of 2015 in Flex but he might as well be dead now. That was only 2 years ago!!! Fetty Wap too, he just decided to put all the hits he'd ever make on his first album lol.

Kendrick will be able to perform shit from GKMC and S.80 through his 40s.

On a lesser degree, even dudes like Curren$y has a small but solid fanbase that allows him to tour damn near year round.

Good points about longevity. It's crazy when you think about how many hits Migos has for instance. They can tour clubs for the next decade with ease. Same with Future. Then you have Young Thug, who seems more of an internet presence than anything real.

I'm not a fan but obviously Kendrick has four albums he can tour off as long as he wants (BTW, DAMN is very tour accessible with multiple songs that will throw the crowd into a frenzy). Same with Cole and Drake, on a more mainstream level. Not everyone reaches that level.

Prodigy was 42, still doing nice crowds off The Infamous/Hell On Earth/etc. Nas can tour for ages off his catalog. Outkast could if Andre wasn't tripping. You need hits to last in this shit.

riotous

Banned
Young Thug has never released a physical album other than to limited release vinyl. Gee, I wonder why his physical sales are low?

Hes not super mainstrram, who gives a fuck?

You may continue trashing white people for no reason. Ill leave yall be lol.

riotous

Banned
BIg Fish reminds me of the track from the GTA album; not a huge fan TBH, might try listening to it while I work as that's when I tend to enjoy the electronica inspired stuff.

BTW, if ya'll have never heard the GTA - Good Times Ahead album, you should check it out. Hip-hop here and there but mostly just cool sounds and good singers:

https://soundcloud.com/wearegta/sets/good-times-ahead

The opening track always gets me in a good mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JhtnSYOJYI

Dereck

I'm surprised that I mostly don't care for it.

Alyssa Interlude is usually where I stop clicking with the project. Maybe this will make more sense, I didn't like any of Atrocity Exhibition after track 9.

Maybe Vince will put out an Instrumental version.

8n6ZStO.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom