• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Saw this on reddit - Atlanta news anchors pay tribute to Prodigy.

Link is down, but you can hear it at 3:30 or so here.

I'm wit it.

tenor.gif
This is very appropriate and will get a lot of future use.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow. Yeah Right was SO good until Kendrick came in.

If this is how it's gonna be, Kendrick should just retire tbh 😤

Lil Boat

Thanks for all the Shlohmo recommendations guys!

I've also been listening to the new 2 Chaniz and for someone who hasn't been interested in his output in years...this is pretty damn good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I was more positive on first listen, but upon second listen of this Vince, it's mostly whatever. IDK if anything jumps out for me but he's got okay-to-good production on here and they mostly jive with each other and the vocals, but it's SUUUUUUPER inconsistent. Seems like a grab bag of different influences, with half of it being executed really well and the other half kind of sounding lame. I think of Theo London's Vibes as an example of this type of thing done right. If I had to pick, Big Fish (Juicy J should get sampled more TBH), 745, SAMO, Party People, and from 1:22 to 1:55 in Yeah Right are the highlights. I can see this being a really divisive project, but that's probably obvious.

TBH one of those times if some other artist made this people would shred how all over the place it is and how little or notable Vince is on it. Like Vic Mensa lol

Surprisingly good.

HiResDes

I was more positive on first listen, but upon second listen of this Vince, it's mostly whatever. IDK if anything jumps out for me but he's got okay-to-good production on here and they mostly jive with each other and the vocals, but it's SUUUUUUPER inconsistent. Seems like a grab bag of different influences, with half of it being executed really well and the other half kind of sounding lame. I think of Theo London's Vibes as an example of this type of thing done right. If I had to pick, Big Fish (Juicy J should get sampled more TBH), 745, SAMO, Party People, and from 1:22 to 1:55 in Yeah Right are the highlights. I can see this being a really divisive project, but that's probably obvious.

TBH one of those times if some other artist made this people would shred how all over the place it is and how little or notable Vince is on it. Like Vic Mensa lol

Surprisingly good.

Spot on

overcast

The "if another artist/soundcloud/bandcamp dude did this it wouldn't have gotten the same reaction" is one of the worst criticisms that's been common lately 😴

I haven't listened to Big Fish.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

HiResDes

Need more listens but the reason I made the comparison to Danny is because I feel like Side B the maximal nature of the production kind of forces Vince to utilize these really tightly structured flows and hinders the amount of breathing room he has to explore different tones and deliveries. It definitely sounds like Vince, because he can rap well on anything, but I think for me the album really solidifies the question of whether or not he should. Even on tracks where it seems like he's rapping his off from a technical standpoint my attention is hardly ever on him, and his hooks don't seem to hook me. It's not as if I don't think the production is amazing, it's not as if I think Vince isn't rapping well, but the two don't mesh as well as I'd hoped. I love rainbow trout and I love baklava, but I don't think I'd want to eat them together.

Catvoca

Banned
Yeah, I'm with Enzo, Des etc. Vince might have let me down on this one brehs 😕

For all his talk of art and making his exact artistic vision this album sure sounds like a mess. When I think of previous Vince projects what worked for me were that the atmospheric, minimal beats allowed Vince to go off with his insane flows and incredible turns of phrase. With these weird electronic beats Vince has barely anything to work with and none of these verses have the sharp wit or biting quotables that I expect from him. The beats aren't good enough to compensate for that I think. The song structures also seem weak. Every song just kinda peters out whenever, like Vince just got tired of the beat. They don't build to anything. Hooks were never Vince strong suit (with a few notable exceptions), and they don't seem that catchy here either.

Only listened to it once though, gotta give it a few more. There's certainly things to like about it (Party People is sick).

Dereck

Playboi Carti's XXL Freestyle really reminds me of Lil B's verse in terms of "apathetic delivery".

But Lil B's was actually understandable because he sounded his words out, and he also didn't randomly pause between lines.

thabiz

Ok. Someone gotta explain these retarded spinners to my old ass. I know what they are, but how the fuck did this shit take off? Literally every fucking convenience store has a "fidget spinners sold here" sign.

Tokubetsu

Ok. Someone gotta explain these retarded spinners to my old ass. I know what they are, but how the fuck did this shit take off? Literally every fucking convenience store has a "fidget spinners sold here" sign.

everyone is stupid and we're in hell

Koozek

Eh, there's some trend like this every few years, no big secret behind it. Randomly took off. Like Beyblades, Pokemon cards, Scoubidou etc. back in the days.

They are just another silly toy that's a fad that will die out sooner or later. Supposedly they help increase concentration and relive relaxation and anxiety for people with various mental disorders (Autism, ADHD, Chronic Anxiety), apparently. The validity of them being genuine treatment is rejected by professionals in psychology/psychiatry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom