• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Do you know what the biggest difference between Kingdom Heartache and all their other stuff? The host of the show is having fun, and likes what they're playing. In Breaking Brad you have Brad constantly groaning about how it is, but usually relishes the challenge and Blue Bombin everyone is sort of disengaged, but Alex for the most likes the games.Even with stuff like the eShop stuff Jeff pretended to be super in to the whole thing.

Ben continuously acts like this a burden for him and he's just as disinterested in the series as the person he's "scammed" in to joining him. The hate playing stuff works for quick looks, but those are never longer then 2 hours. The idea of watching them drag their feet, even ironically, to do anything for longer than that isn't good content.

Hasney

Yup, the content output has been great lately, so its gotten a lot easier to ignore the stuff that ain't great.

I was wondering today, where does East find the time? Was surprised to see them in the Giant ROM video - they've got multiple podcasts, live streams, regular features, and Films & 40's is back. Do they live in the studio now?

2 producers really helps.

BTA

Some of you have said Blue Bombin' is basically a second podcast; is it worth watching for that alone? I'm not super into Mega Man but I'd be down for just starting at 5 for that and working back gradually.

patapuf

Some of you have said Blue Bombin' is basically a second podcast; is it worth watching for that alone? I'm not super into Mega Man but I'd be down for just starting at 5 for that and working back gradually.

Yes.

I don't care much for megaman but most episodes have enjoyable discussion.

Eh I don't care about homebrewing on 3DS. I don't really care about spending the effort to pirate games nor do I care about playing old games that much.

I feel like there aren't enough games that I've played that are super unplayable on the old one than the new one, though I think it's fair to say that it's more that my interest in 3DS games fell away just after I bought the N3DS. The hardware is just so fucking old now.

Makes me curious about how nintendo will handle iterations of the switch though. Will there be a mid console bump thing? Will there even be a switch 2 or will nintendo find a new gimmick to hang their hat on?

Considering they're already scaling performance between docked and handheld, I think a mid-gen refresh would be fine. Who knows if it's feasible to jump to 1080p on the handheld and 4K docked or something.

Whatever the case, when the 3DS eventually, finally, dies off I hope they don't introduce another ecosystem. I'm happy to have my Switch be the Nintendo platform, where I can play nearly every game on my TV.

Toparaman

Banned
This is how I feel. Ben was not a good hire personality wise for the west crew. I am not saying that Ben is bad, he is just a good fit for the west office.
I don't think Ben is the problem at all. He brings energy and enthusiasm to the table, but almost all the other West coast folks sound tired and a little burnt out. So he's got no one to play off of.

Compare that to the East coast, where no one is running on auto pilot. Even Alex, despite his dark outlook on life and the world, always makes a genuine and sincere effort to fully engage.

Another young hire would make a world of difference, similar to how Dan and Drew carried the west coast from 2014-2016.

Zoggy

Fuck Ben and this horrible kingdom hearts let's play.

Yeah Ben you're so cool and badass and funny about how you just don't care about the story or the mechanics or anything. Just alphA male badass bro

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do you know what the biggest difference between Kingdom Heartache and all their other stuff? The host of the show is having fun, and likes what they're playing. In Breaking Brad you have Brad constantly groaning about how it is, but usually relishes the challenge and Blue Bombin everyone is sort of disengaged, but Alex for the most likes the games.Even with stuff like the eShop stuff Jeff pretended to be super in to the whole thing.

Ben continuously acts like this a burden for him and he's just as disinterested in the series as the person he's "scammed" in to joining him. The hate playing stuff works for quick looks, but those are never longer then 2 hours. The idea of watching them drag their feet, even ironically, to do anything for longer than that isn't good content.

I don't actually think he hates playing it though?

I mean I still feel like I haven't gotten a solid read on him but this feels more like his natural way of playing a game.

Toparaman

Banned
The conversations are great, and it's all set to some of the best 8-bit music around.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Fuck Ben and this horrible kingdom hearts let's play.

Yeah Ben you're so cool and badass and funny about how you just don't care about the story or the mechanics or anything. Just alphA male badass bro

bap bap bap
g6Fahar.gif

I have no reverence for KH and I just ignore it like almost every other piece of west content.

I don't actually think he hates playing it though?

I mean I still feel like I haven't gotten a solid read on him but this feels more like his natural way of playing a game.

He sure acts like it though. I get that he's playing this because he wants to, but that's not impression he's giving. I'm not saying he's lying I believe that he wants to this, but the act he's putting on for this isn't enjoyable.

Antiwhippy

He sure acts like it though. I get that he's playing this because he wants to, but that's not impression he's giving. I'm not saying he's lying I believe that he wants to this, but the act he's putting on for this isn't enjoyable.

Again, like, just based on this episode, the only time he gives the impression that he doesn't want to play is when he's about to die and is worried that the game doesn't have checkpoints.

Like I said, he's not one to have a kind of energetic presence when playing a game I guess, but I genuinely don't think he's acting disinterested?

Which I guess is part of the problem of presentation. From all the video content I've seen so far he's just doesn't have an energetic personality, and is more of a laid back one.

I just don't agree with the part where people see intentional malice.

Antiwhippy

Not really. Blue bombin doesn't have the whole "we're pretending this isn't a series or that this isn't a real recording, mic check mic check" schtick.

Talking strictly about the 3rd ep there's no such thing and is literally just a podcast between rorie and ben.

wbarreda

I don't think Ben is the problem at all. He brings energy and enthusiasm to the table, but almost all the other West coast folks sound tired and a little burnt out. So he's got no one to play off of.

Compare that to the East coast, where no one is running on auto pilot. Even Alex, despite his dark outlook on life and the world, always makes a genuine and sincere effort to fully engage.

Another young hire would make a world of difference, similar to how Dan and Drew carried the west coast from 2014-2016.

This is exactly why Ben isn't a good fit. He can't get anything out of Jeff and Brad like Dan could. I will keep ignoring the west's content hoping Jeff gets it right on the next hire.

For what it's worth, they mostly played ep 3 straight.

Episodes 1 & 3 are good while 2 is half good and the other half is aimlessly walking around the island. All of the discussions on them have been fun though.
I don't think Heartache and Blue Bombin' are comparable at all outside of the frequent off-topic discussion that happens.
Of course it isn't. We're talking about a simpler game than KH and the other point being that Blue Bombin is a 4 person series rather than 2.

Again, like, just based on this episode, the only time he gives the impression that he doesn't want to play is when he's about to die and is worried that the game doesn't have checkpoints.

Like I said, he's not one to have a kind of energetic presence when playing a game I guess, but I genuinely don't think he's acting disinterested?

Which I guess is part of the problem of presentation. From all the video content I've seen so far he's just doesn't have an energetic personality, and is more of a laid back one.

I just don't agree with the part where people see intentional malice.

I think for this episode a lot of that falls on Rorie just being himself. The first two episodes gave the impression he was almost as much a hostage as Brad and Jeff. I don't think any of this has been ever rooted in malice I just think Ben's post irony ironic humor (or whatever it is) doesn't really work here.

mintyice

Why are you personally attacking Ben? This community is so toxic.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, it does, but even when Drew and Jason were in the office, the sheer amount of content never felt like this, aside from the odd week or two (usually around the Premium sale...).

I mean they have peaks and they have dips. Giantbomb throughout its history never really is that consistent in the quantity.

I think for this episode a lot of that falls on Rorie just being himself. The first two episodes gave the impression he was almost as much a hostage as Brad and Jeff. I don't think any of this has been ever rooted in malice I just think Ben's post irony irony humor (or whatever it is) doesn't really work here.

Again I think you're seeing something that isn't even intended to be there. I kind of feel like you're bringing your own preconceptions of him in a way.

Blue Bombin's like 3 eps max, and the core mechanics of each game are roughly identical. Alex also looks stuff up beforehand to save time. Very different from diving, blind, into a months-long journey alongside a rotating chair who has no idea what's happening.

Not much different here save the game doesn't end (once you get all the main components its very similar trough to the end). While i can agree with the prep time stuff it seems he might remedy that aspect in later videos

Blue Bombin has only been "completely ignore the game for 99% of the time" since they started MM5 and Abby was brought on. i.e. 2 videos.

Its been like that before Abby, its just that there will be moments where either Alex or Vinny will say to cut that shit out so Alex can concentrate.

But Megaman doesn't have story, cutscenes, or a great deal of mechanics to pay attention to. Also Alex, Vinny, Dan and Abby make for good banter. Ben... is not a good point man.

Most of which you can ignore if you want *shrug*. They can play it how they want

As for the discussion he's not terrible its a case of being the youngest and not having much topics in common to discuss (what separated Drew was that the things he does talk about are pretty outside of games, etc) , so he listens and tries to relay a similar experience.

Abby is in a very similar situation but has the improv chops and a energetic crew to bounce off of, especially when Dan goes "Dan".

Why are you personally attacking Ben? This community is so toxic.
I'm not attacking Ben. I'm having a discussion about why I think a particular series of content that they are making isn't enjoyable for myself or others. None of this has to do with Ben's validity as a hire or him as a person. Go dig through my post history if you like I've been critical of Dan's personality in the past, but the first time I've talked about Ben is in relation to Kingdom Heartache.

Again I think you're seeing something that isn't even intended to be there. I kind of feel like you're bringing your own preconceptions of him in a way.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that point.

I mean they have peaks and they have dips. Giantbomb throughout its history never really is that consistent in the quantity.

nah it's there

Antiwhippy

Blue Bombin has only been "completely ignore the game for 99% of the time" since they started MM5 and Abby was brought on. i.e. 2 videos.

One of my favourite lines from Dan was "Mothers cry, children die" and that was during the early blue bombin'

WTF does that have to do with megaman really.

I'm not attacking Ben. I'm having a discussion about why I think a particular series of content that they are making isn't enjoyable for myself or others. None of this has to do with Ben's validity as a hire or him as a person. Go dig through my post history if you like I've been critical of Dan's personality in the past, but the first time I've talked about Ben is in relation to Kingdom Heartache.

Don't fall fo- too late.

J_Viper

Ben's a good dude, but I do agree that he's not the best lead. He works best in a supporting role.

West needs to hire someone with Dan's bravado

Or alternatively, give Rorie a larger role. If they wanted to bump someone up from the inside, it should have been him.

Giant Bomb 2008-2012 is the greatest run of anything in entertainment history

Antiwhippy

I mean the first two years of premium were basically one long drought. You were paying for HD video and Happy Hour.

Back then it was more about the frequency of quick looks I feel. But looking back on it yeah you're mostly right. Had to look through the features tab and the happy hour era was a dark one lol.

Man, I miss I love mondays.

The justification back then was we were paying for premium on four different sites. I think Will and Norm were actually the first guys to do a premium series that wasn't Happy Hour.

Top Bottom