• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually looking back to specific eras, I'm going to say that while 2008-2012 is my favourite era when it comes to personalities and the podcast, the Dan era is actually way better when it comes to features.

2010 and 2011 were pretty much propped up by the deadly premonition and the chrono trigger ERs respectively.

Rorie liked Advent Children.

I like Spirits Within more than Advent Children. It tried to tell a legitimate sci-fi story, it's just a shame it had to be wrapped around FF BS. Like it isn't amazing or anything but it's better than what people give it credit for.

e: It's important to note that I haven't seen this film since it released so it probably doesn't hold up whatsoever.

- J - D -

I like Spirits Within more than Advent Children. It tried to tell a legitimate sci-fi story, it's just a shame it had to be wrapped around FF BS. Like it isn't amazing or anything but it's better than what people give it credit for.

e: It's important to note that I haven't seen this film since it released so it probably doesn't hold up whatsoever.

I've never seen Spirits Within. It was out in theaters at the same time as Jurassic Park 3, and my family had a choice to make and decided on the latter. So we saw a bad Jurassic Park sequel instead of the weird sci-fi FF movie. I think it's too late for me to watch Spirits Within now.

Advent Children was pure schlocke, but I can't say that I wasn't hugely hyped for it back then, when we were all innocent.

Vectorman

Banned
Sorry to add to the misery but I'm really not into the current state of GBW. I can't even get into the Bombcast anymore. Beastcast is so much more lively than what is going on in San Fran. They desperately needed people that would reinvigorate them but Ben is way too laidback of a personality. Definitely agree that they might need to hire two more people to help with that. If you know, they don't take forever to hire another person.

imBask

Banned
just finished Mario Galaxy 1, here comes the HOT TAKE CENTRAL

Great game. But everyone who kept telling me that this game "barely uses the motion controls" was either high, or forgot all about this game. I'd say that 1/3 of the levels required a lot of motion controls (blue stars, monkey ball thing, etc). Also the underwater levels were actually bad. Straight up bad, not decent, not good, just bad and there are SO MANY of them it got really annoying. I'm hoping 2 tones all of the motion controls down and has less water levels

It's a really really really really great game that was made a little less great by shoehorning garbage gimmicks in there

8.5/10

Dan got a lot of heat when he joined but goddamn if he isn't the lifeblood of content since the beginning.

Definitely. Almost every new series that GB started since Dan's arrival seems like Dan was the one who ringleader'ed it. You can usually tell which ones are his because he's super stoked throughout the entire thing.

Toparaman

Banned
Actually looking back to specific eras, I'm going to say that while 2008-2012 is my favourite era when it comes to personalities and the podcast, the Dan era is actually way better when it comes to features.

2010 and 2011 were pretty much propped up by the deadly premonition and the chrono trigger ERs respectively.

I've been following several members of this gang since the early '00s, and I actually think 2014 through now has been the best era.

Antiwhippy

I've been following several members of this gang since the early '00s, and I actually think 2014 through now has been the best era.

There's still quite a lot of nostalgia for me for the OG 4 era of giantbomb. They were pretty much the first gaming website I followed heavily that isn't like... penny arcade?

I still listen to 2008-2012 bombcasts constantly.

I've never seen Spirits Within. It was out in theaters at the same time as Jurassic Park 3, and my family had a choice to make and decided on the latter. So we saw a bad Jurassic Park sequel instead of the weird sci-fi FF movie. I think it's too late for me to watch Spirits Within now.

Advent Children was pure schlocke, but I can't say that I wasn't hugely hyped for it back then, when we were all innocent.

You reminded me of this...

HWZ3ya6.gif

Yeah, don't watch Spirits Within. I'd rather keep it in my mind as a cool little CGI sci-fi story thing they did in 2001.

J_Viper

To be fair to Ben, I remember Austin's first month or so being a bit rough where he would constantly go on tangents about crossword puzzle games for twenty minutes and whatnot, but once he clicked with the rest of the group, he was perfect

Maybe Ben needs that same time to get his bearings

What I'm saying is, bring back Patrick and Austin

Antiwhippy

To be fair to Ben, I remember Austin's first month or so being a bit rough where he would constantly go on tangents about crossword puzzle games for twenty minutes and whatnot, but once he clicked with the rest of the group, he was perfect

Maybe Ben needs that same time to get his bearings

What I'm saying is, bring back Patrick and Austin

They've gotten their on-stream chicken dinners.

They're too good for giantbomb now.

- J - D -

You reminded me of this...

HWZ3ya6.gif

Yeah, don't watch Spirits Within. I'd rather keep it in my mind as a cool little CGI sci-fi story thing they did in 2001.

That part in JP3 made me think of Event Horizon.

I'm spiteful of Spirits Within if only for the fact that it bankrupted Square Soft and for the next decade after we were (and still are) stuck with the infinitely inferior Square Enix.

Megasoum

Banned
I love Rorie but man often he kinda embodies the whole "PC Master Race" bullshit we often see online and it gets really annoying.

Antiwhippy

That part in JP3 made me think of Event Horizon.

I'm spiteful of Spirits Within if only for the fact that it bankrupted Square Soft and for the next decade after we were (and still are) stuck with the infinitely inferior Square Enix.

TBF on square enix it gave me my top 3 game of all time.

They can release all the trash they want after that.

Had my first VR experience doing a bunch of Oculus demos at my bros.

I can see why people got so blown away when they first try it. I was already looking at Rift's on Amazon on the way home. But then my common sense brain kicked in. I will totally borrow it off him in a few weeks and have a fun weekend with it.

He wouldn't let me try Google Earth because the last person who did it was sick after and he wants me to get use to VR more. LOL.

Also he only has a small SSD thats nearly full so he wouldnt let me DL REZ. BOOOO.

Same here, personally. I know a lot of people pine for the old days with Ryan, but I genuinely think GB is at the top of their game right now. The issues I have with site content are minor quibbles, and generally if I don't like something they put out, I just don't watch it. Which is apparently something a lot of people in this thread are incapable of doing.

Harpuia

I think Ben will be more invested as they go along. Later on you have a lot of combat options compared to the beginning, that I hope Ben will at least try to explore.

- J - D -

Kingdom Heartache is good only for Ben being able to tell his Disneyland food poisoning story to every new guest. Jason you're next and boy are you in for a fun story. It's a hoot, I tell ya.

Yup. And this was a GOOD week. Imagine the cringe if 3 or 4 of them was on vacation/assignment.

What is the point of posting in this thread if its always to say "Giant Bomb is Great!"? Admittedly when I post on this thread it's to say something negative and that's not all that great, but I can't really write a meaningful posts about the things that are good beyond saying they are, but here I'll try.

Steal my Sunshine is a lot of fun, because all of them are having fun with it even Alex, who hated the controls. A lot of that I think comes from the fact that everyone can learn something for their own time playing by observing what the other person is doing. Abbey's reckless gambling and everyone else's enabling of it is pretty funny.

I never liked the Dota 2 features in the past. Brad with some people playing a match was usually a drag for me and I like and play Dota. Having Ben there with has made it way more engaging for me in a way that has genuinely surprised me. It's a bummer to me that people hate the Dota stuff so much, but I get understand why it's so hard for others to enjoy.

Vinny really deserves some respect he seems to have a lot on his plate and in spite of that he always comes to things with energy and interest. That's a real feat and can't be commended enough. Even stuff he doesn't enjoy like Splatoon he tries to give a fair shake and thats not an easy thing. This might be creepy, but I don't care. I aspire to have the work life balance and enjoyment from that balance Vinny that I at least perceive him to have. He is a truly special individual.

Top Bottom