• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

TraBuch

Banned
When it comes to on-screen personalities, it's not even close. Whiskey Media GB was much better. It also didn't hurt that they had so many cameos from other people in Whsikey Media. When it comes to features, I'd say it's pretty even. There's more quanitity now, but because of the better personalities back then, the videos were usually of a higher quality. And that's not just talking about Ryan and Dave instead of Ben and Dan or whoever, but Jeff was much more high-spirited. I know people joke about Jeff being jaded a lot, but it's not necessarily wrong. Call it maturing, call it mellowing out, call it whatever, but I don't think anyone can deny that current Jeff and Whiskey Media Jeff were much different personalities, at least on-screen.

Imagine prime Jeff and Ryan and Dave and Drew and Vinny in today's videos.

Both are Great

GB East is

vzwWG.gif

GB West is

"Yeah thats GREAT"

thats-great-no-its-not.gif

would you settle for GB West was great

When it comes to on-screen personalities, it's not even close. Whiskey Media GB was much better. It also didn't hurt that they had so many cameos from other people in Whsikey Media. When it comes to features, I'd say it's pretty even. There's more quanitity now, but because of the better personalities back then, the videos were usually of a higher quality. And that's not just talking about Ryan and Dave instead of Ben and Dan or whoever, but Jeff was much more high-spirited. I know people joke about Jeff being jaded a lot, but it's not necessarily wrong. Call it maturing, call it mellowing out, call it whatever, but I don't think anyone can deny that current Jeff and Whiskey Media Jeff were much different personalities, at least on-screen.

Imagine prime Jeff and Ryan and Dave and Drew and Vinny in today's videos.

the "friends of the site" stuff is sorely missing from GB today

feels like Brad's rolodex has all of two people on it for the Bombcast

TraBuch

Banned
I feel like old GB is still around, but only on Periscope. Modern GB would shoot that video of Drew and Kessler eating that fish outside on Periscope and nobody would ever see it except for a small group of people on a relatively obscure YouTube channel. Whiskey Media GB would shoot that video of Kessler eating tomatoes and string cheese and make it a "Video Thing" and feature it on the site.

oti

Banned
Something tells me they're going to screw up KH, their most popular non-premium feature. Which is either on their utterly idiotic handling of it or that it's Kingdom Hearts and the first episode bored a ton of people away.

It would be hilarious if Dota gets higher numbers than KH on YouTube in the end.

Something tells me they're going to screw up KH, their most popular non-premium feature. Which is either on their utterly idiotic handling of it or that it's Kingdom Hearts and the first episode bored a ton of people away.

It would be hilarious if Dota gets higher numbers than KH on YouTube in the end.

"going to"?

The 2nd episode was the bad one.

They should just turn it into a new feature where Rorie reads emails and goes on tangents while a random duder plays a game.

killroy87

Out of curiosity, does anyone here actually watch the video of the bomb cast? Like actively watch it, not just turn it on but spend 90% of the time in other tabs? If so, why?

Tomorrow is Film & 40's, Exquisite Corps, Premium news & Murder Island day. It's gonna be good.
Like east is better for sure but I still enjoy content from both coasts y'know?

Yeah, same here. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a preference. I think we all know what most people prefer here by now. I just don't see GB as separate entities but as one cohesive whole. That's just me though.

I do agree with TraBuch that I miss the Whiskey Media era because it was unpredictable. At the same time though, people seem to forget this was all before they got acquired by CBS.

Rainmaker

Banned
Out of curiosity, does anyone here actually watch the video of the bomb cast? Like actively watch it, not just turn it on but spend 90% of the time in other tabs? If so, why?

I watch it for their reactions to certain moments and topics. I tend to enjoy videos with their faces in it more than anything else.

If I'm free I'd watch it because why the fuck not but most of the times I'm not. Sometimes it's great to see the silent reactions on things. I noticed though that some people like putting all GB videos on background which is weird but I guess not?

Tomorrow is Film & 40's, Exquisite Corps, Premium news & Murder Island day. It's gonna be good.

Yeah, same here. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a preference. I think we all know what most people prefer here by now. I just don't see GB as separate entities but as one cohesive whole. That's just me though.

I do agree with TraBuch that I miss the Whiskey Media era because it was unpredictable. At the same time though, people seem to forget this was all before they got acquired by CBS.

Loving the Content being rolled out as of late.

Sadly have to miss F& F due to not watching the movie as yet.

I know.

I fucking want that feature.

For real, to me rorie is the funniest duder on the cast right after Dan.

Indeed.

At least until it gets stale :p

You can tell someones age by their reverence for the Kingdom Hearts series. Seems like a lot of younger people who started gaming around the PS2 era tend to like that series more.

Definitely have to disagree, started gaming with the NES and enjoy KH a ton. Most of my friends do as well (and started at the same time).

Nah. I started gaming way back but I love Kingdom Hearts, I have a reverence for Disney because that's what I grew up watching. Their what is now known as "renaissance era films". So, that's what I'm there for when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. I don't care about Sora or anyone frankly and I know fuck all about the story. Also, the soundtrack is crazy good(objectively best thing about the series). Never forget, this series gave us pissed off creepy Mickey Mouse.

doortodarkness.jpg

Well said, as far as the Disney stuff goes :D

Zaph

I only just realised today Kingdom Heartache isn't Premium. Whether you're into it or not, it doesn't feel like the smartest way to introduce the new guy to the wider audience.

I have two 40s in my fridge just waiting to be consumed for F&40s but I ain't about to get drunk on a monday.

I'll take F&40's anyway I can get it, but it really ain't a monday feature.

I thought the Rorie episode was amazing.

I like west a lot but yeah lately East has been firing on all cylinders. I'll echo Tm the sentiment that I don't get how they find the time. But like DM I also see GB as one cohesive whole.

Strax

Jeff was jaded as fuck for a long time lol. In a lovable way.

If anything he's more high energy nowadays.

I've been listening to GOTY podcast from the start over the last week and Jeff had much much more energy with Ryan around.
That's very understandable though.

I gave it a shot and having ads bugged me alot (I think they don't do them anymore?) but I simply can deal with how low the volume is. I have to hear headphones and focus to hear them. I even tried my girlfriend PC and it's the same with there. Since it's not like this during UPF I find it really difficult to understand the possible reasons for this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd like to see more of the story of HZD but running from one point to another quest marker in the game is pretty much having to duck or get into a fight with like 30 different encounters just from one run

It's getting kind of old. Like ok the birds stopped attacking me right as the bulls see me and now the watchers see me oh and now the trex sees me and this was all in the span of 20 steps and with the low profile sprinting skill

TraBuch

Banned
It's a shame they've abandoned tabletop games. Yeah, Rorie's a really bad DM, but it was cool to see Dave involved in a running feature again. And Ian and Rorie being all passive aggresive at each other was pretty funny. And V-Bomb. Avalon was great. I guess the last D&D with Dan was pretty bad, but eh, at least he was trying something new.

There are a lot of entertaining things they could play.

I'd like to see more of the story of HZD but running from one point to another quest marker in the game is pretty much having to duck or get into a fight with like 30 different encounters just from one run

It's getting kind of old. Like ok the birds stopped attacking me right as the bulls see me and now the watchers see me oh and now the trex sees me and this was all in the span of 20 steps and with the low profile sprinting skill

You can just run by almost every enemy you encounter in the world. Keep running and they'll lose you.

BTA

Well, I finished season 2.

That was, uh, wild. I effectively knew what was going to happen to Dale from seeing vague season 3 stuff, but I didn't expect it to go down quite like that. For it to end like that too... that'd be a lot to deal with, even with FWWM, for this long with no expectation of an answer. I think even me watching it in the past couple years, like I always meant to, would have been painful. I am sorta happy I've only watched it now, though, both for the knowledge that there's more and as my sister's now old enough to also be watching it thanks to my suggestion, so we've been talking about it was we watch independently, which's been nice.

Planning to watch Fire Walk With Me later tonight. Then I'll be reading Secret History this week before starting season 3 this weekend. Hoping to catch up by the finale, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull off that pace. Gonna be weird to suddenly jump 25 years in time, in any case, and knowing certain actors aren't back in advance makes that even weirder.

Is it worth watching The Missing Pieces as well, if you've seen that?

Coop

Well, I finished season 2.

That was, uh, wild. I effectively knew what was going to happen to Dale from seeing vague season 3 stuff, but I didn't expect it to go down quite like that. For it to end like that too... that'd be a lot to deal with, even with FWWM, for this long with no expectation of an answer. I think even me watching it in the past couple years, like I always meant to, would have been painful. I am sorta happy I've only watched it now, though, both for the knowledge that there's more and as my sister's now old enough to also be watching it thanks to my suggestion, so we've been talking about it was we watch independently, which's been nice.

Planning to watch Fire Walk With Me later tonight. Then I'll be reading Secret History this week before starting season 3 this weekend. Hoping to catch up by the finale, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull off that pace. Gonna be weird to suddenly jump 25 years in time, in any case, and knowing certain actors aren't back in advance makes that even weirder.

Is it worth watching The Missing Pieces as well, if you've seen that?

Yes watch it. Certain scenes should have been in the movie and help understand stuff in season 3

BTA

Yes watch it. Certain scenes should have been in the movie and help understand stuff in season 3

Noted! Will have to work that into this week somehow, then.

...despite meaning to use this time of the month for my backlog, I've somehow turned the next couple weeks into a lot of reading and a lot of catching up on TV (not just this). Should be some good stuff, though, and I'm hoping to finally get back to some Dishonored 2 at least.

Top Bottom