• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Kenai

When ERP goes wrong?

So apparently a bit headache in a big pop server like Balmung is the queue system right now. Apparently people are using tricks to stay online even when afk for hours.

Are they doing this for selfish convenience or are they seriously doing it for the ERP of their player? "People need to know my character is sleeping in game!"

The "trick" is as simple as opening something like npc dialog (vendors don't count) or your mailbox and then just keeping the window open while you afk. Ezpz. On Ultros we don't need it 99% of the time but the login queues on big servers are still several hours so I kinda understand why they would.

adversarial

For those familiar with SimCraft or the website AskMrRobot for World of Warcraft... is there some variant of either of these for FF XIV? So when I hit 70 I can do some research in terms of stat weights, what gear I want, etc?

It's especially straightforward imo as a DRG since you have focused and streamlined rotations. I can upload my hotbars pics later. Basically you want your 2 combos on face buttons so you can move without losing combos and cooldowns on dpad. Make sure ID - Dis - CT and TT - VT - FT on same face buttons so you don't press wrong combo. R2 + L2 / L2 + R2 hotbar are for AoE rotations, 4th combo finishers (on face buttons), geirskogul. Double tap R2/L2 are for long cooldowns like battle litany or invigorate.

Thanks for the help. I've been scribbling on a notepad trying to find a decent layout, doesn't help that I keep forgetting about things like the R2 then L2 hotbars. I think I'll get there in the end, though.

I do not trust Yoshida's decisions related to job balance and design anymore. How people can be so infatuated to think him infallible and unquestionable escapes me.

kromeo

I do not trust Yoshida's decisions related to job balance and design anymore. How people can be so infatuated to think him infallible and unquestionable escapes me.

The fact his favorite job black mage has been overpowered for so long should be evidence enough. The job balance in this game is far better than the MMORPG that shall not be named though

I've had vanilla FFXIV for nearly two years now, and I just decided last night to finally give the game a shot. I *think* I like it, and it's been so long since I've played an MMO that I've been having a nice time running through the early, more mindless quests.

Is trying to get on the server with GAF a lost cause at this point? I tried a few times last night and Ultros was always closed off.

I'm also wondering if I made the right move in choosing a Gladiator; I just want a fun, relatively solo-able class to play the game casually.

Also, are there any good starter guides/overviews that y'all would recommend?

Edzi

So what's this about tanks having to get attack accessories now? Why would they change attack scaling with Vitality?

Heysoos

I've had vanilla FFXIV for nearly two years now, and I just decided last night to finally give the game a shot. I *think* I like it, and it's been so long since I've played an MMO that I've been having a nice time running through the early, more mindless quests.

Is trying to get on the server with GAF a lost cause at this point? I tried a few times last night and Ultros was always closed off.

I'm also wondering if I made the right move in choosing a Gladiator; I just want a fun, relatively solo-able class to play the game casually.

My friend had to join at really off hours of the night, think he finally got to join Ultros like at 2am central.

scy

For those familiar with SimCraft or the website AskMrRobot for World of Warcraft... is there some variant of either of these for FF XIV? So when I hit 70 I can do some research in terms of stat weights, what gear I want, etc?

I'm not aware of any as public utilities for simming on the fly the same as the WoW utilities. We have Ariyala for doing gear sets with known public weights but the weights have not been updated for 4.0 as of yet. You'll find gearing here is a lot more straightforward than WoW's situation as there's no trinkets to sim around anyway.

More or less? I like Yoshi-P as far as the face of the game is concerned but his talks about how the game operates, both in terms of their design goals and just how the players actually play the game, seem to always miss the mark a lot. If they were more public on things maybe there'd be more sense to be had?

The fact his favorite job black mage has been overpowered for so long should be evidence enough. The job balance in this game is far better than the MMORPG that shall not be named though

I mean ... BLM being overpowered is not really a thing I'd say about them in way too long.

So what's this about tanks having to get attack accessories now? Why would they change attack scaling with Vitality?

My personal reason for it is that they wanted to change the weakness penalty to X% main stat rather than the health penalty to stem the failure cascade. Because of that, they couldn't have it hit tank VIT since it'd defeat the purpose and would absolutely decimate their ability to tank @25%/50% HP reductions.

Minor thing I love that they still do in Stormblood: Characters in the story recognizing that your character is being helped by other 'elite adventurers' (meaning other players)whenever you fight the primals or a major dungeons/fights instead of the game's story pretending as though you've done all these things alone.

LaneDS

Some of the early stuff is also, unsurprisingly, the most bland. Gladiator (later paladin) is a safe choice because you'll always be able to find a group instantaneously whenever the non-solo content comes along (tanks are always in demand). GLD/PLD is also one of the more boring classes to play as early on (they're pretty great currently at 70) but if you aren't bothered by their simplicity it'll get you through as much of the game as you want to see, plus you can always switch later if you're enjoying it and want to mix it up.

walei

Minor thing I love that they still they in Stormblood: Characters in the story recognizing that your character is being helped by other 'elite adventurers' (meaning other players)whenever you fight the primals or a major dungeons/fights instead of the game's story pretending as though you've done all these things alone.

They are very self aware, I LOL'd when Lyse said the WoL can call on his/her friends that traveled to the far east for a fishing trip for help.

Kenai

I think it might be accidental, but balance wise we are in a better spot than this time last expansion (by far), and according to raiders we are in a better spot than last raid tier as well. The leveling process seems goofier than normal, and there are still plenty of questionable design decisions that need to be worked out, but I've seen it far worse in this game alone, not to mention other places like EQ and WoW. Outside of a few class mechanics the majority of my personal issues are potency related and that could easily be fixed by 4.1 at the latest.

I also feel like 90% of what is wrong right now could be fixed by a PTR but not holding my breath for that.

Nightz

Guess I was fortunate because I was able to join Ultros like 2 hours ago.

Orcastar

Minor thing I love that they still do in Stormblood: Characters in the story recognizing that your character is being helped by other 'elite adventurers' (meaning other players)whenever you fight the primals or a major dungeons/fights instead of the game's story pretending as though you've done all these things alone.

Somewhat unrelated, perhaps, but I was impressed to see a MSQ cutscene in which one of the Scions acknowledged that my character is a healer (WHM) and asked that I help heal the wounded at Rhalgr's Reach.

iammeiam

There are only like three things I'm super sure of wrt balance right now that I don't think hinge heavily on encounter design:

- The Machinist reboot is potentially the worst class redesign they've done; it makes no sense, doesn't seem to do any of the things it was supposed to, and is both more complicated and less rewarding than before. I still remain fully convinced they'll take steps to fix it, it's just completely baffling in the "I don't even know what they thought they were doing." respect. It's just also the only job that is so clearly poorly designed I can't see a balance patch passing without changes.

- They messed up monk to an extent I'd say they had the worst SB reboot if Machinist didn't exist. They lost a lot to make room for SAM but at least their core mechanic still exists.

- AST is OP; the Apple-cart tipping they've done with tanks has at least temporarily made people very ??? about what tank combo to take into raid. PLD is strong, but a DRK/WAR comp sounds like a thing that wouldn't send people running to the hills, while any non-AST healer comp is gigantic levels of disadvantaged.

Everything else I think will ultimately pivot around what Omega ends up being;

BRD playstyle is better, but our DPS is still too low even counting in our utility (which is less important in SB than in 2.x and 3.x). Both BRD and MCH need a buff.

The stupid ranged damage hit returning with the drop of castbars is in this weird realm of it's dumb but I also think Bard is exactly where they wanted it to be. I think they chose poorly by trying to pretend you could put Bard back in the Coil DPS kiddie pool, but it's at least successful at what it is trying and is soothing the raw feelings of people super salty about the double ranged Creator dream.

Contrasted to Machinist which I would totally believe was designed by science experiment dog.

Blitzhex

So I read on reddit that in Susano Ex has an issue/bug for people with higher latency. Namely the clouds are supposed to target you where you are after the knockback but if you have higher latency, it targets you where you are before the knockback occurs.

Anyone experienced this?

I have 150 ms and that never happened.

I think it might be accidental, but balance wise we are in a better spot than this time last expansion (by far), and according to raiders we are in a better spot than last raid tier as well. The leveling process seems goofier than normal, and there are still plenty of questionable design decisions that need to be worked out, but I've seen it far worse in this game alone, not to mention other places like EQ and WoW. Outside of a few class mechanics the majority of my personal issues are potency related and that could easily be fixed by 4.1 at the latest.

I also feel like 90% of what is wrong right now could be fixed by a PTR but not holding my breath for that.

I will always advocate for a PTR whenever it's brought up, but I also think that's unlikely. They haven't done anything like that since ARR beta. Which is a shame since the devs tend to hit closer to the mark after practical feedback and data collection. Doesn't help that they're so dang slow to roll out adjustments either.

I'll agree that the parity between jobs in each role is better this time around, but there's just soooo many questionable choices they made in regards to fundamentals, job playstyles, and some 62-70 skills. This is seriously what they settled with internally? Edit: It also doesn't help how dismissive and disrespectful Yoshida was pre-SB release.

So I'm doing the free trial and got the 'double xp' boost from creating a character on a low pop server. Would I ever be able to move him to the GAF world (ultros)?

This is why so many other mmo like games fail in the story.
Though on the other hand random generics are never done well either, Star Wars Galaxies was the only good fit.

Rua

I've tried camping out for the Foxy Lady but most of the time completing both Ginko and Kinko fates just results in them popping back up again. :' (

I've had the outfoxed fate pop once but alas after that date completed still no foxy lady. Having 3 instances isn't helping either with this.

I was hunting for it yesterday and managed to see it spawn. I was surprised that you can see the fox from sooo far away.
GiSZl1a.jpg

I saw the outfoxed fate show up like 3 times before the foxy lady fate showed up.

So I'm doing the free trial and got the 'double xp' boost from creating a character on a low pop server. Would I ever be able to move him to the GAF world (ultros)?

I think you can, but costs $15. I'm in a similar situation, so I'm going to see if I want to play the game long term before I make the move.

Balance wise it's not as bad as I expected, but there's a lot of clunk and Paean-style garbage flying around.

- LoTD is a fucking joke that takes too long to ramp up and should gimp DRG's damage in raid enviroments quite a lot because they're basically fucked by downtime more than MNKs.
- Lilies and Confessions. I'm not gonna rant futher on this but WHM only getting a single new usable skill in SB is not acceptable and I'll keep whining until they rework this shit so I can actually fucking use these things.
- Tanks accessory situation, just why

iammeiam

I didn't realize Troubador doesn't work on the caster.

Apparently it works like BV, attaching itself to anybody with the crit buff. Since bard siting doesn't give the bard the crit buff, they also won't get Troubador. Which mostly means popping a group-wide MDEF buff to mitigate a raidbuster leaves the relatively squishy Bard unprotected unless somebody Apocs them.

Seems like a weird drawback to have.

I didn't realize Troubador doesn't work on the caster.

Apparently it works like BV, attaching itself to anybody with the crit buff. Since bard siting doesn't give the bard the crit buff, they also won't get Troubador. Which mostly means popping a group-wide MDEF buff to mitigate a raidbuster leaves the relatively squishy Bard unprotected unless somebody Apocs them.

Seems like a weird drawback to have.
I still don't understand why BV needs to be tied to the song buff, let alone Troubadour.

Are they that scared of BRD having damage? Holy shit

Guess Who

Banned
None of the bard's buffs affect the bard themselves, which is a completely baffling and pointless decision.

Never mind that the 2% crit buff comes out to only like, a 1% raid DPS increase overall in a fight. Practically worthless.

Absolutely loving my current set up on PS4.
Using the PS4 version of this, I put everything quickly used on a single crossbar.
I separately created a single hotbar and put all my cooldowns on it and then bound all my cooldowns to #1-8 on the kepad.

I was going to level Paladin next but it's a little redundant of me to level another tank right now.

Think I'm going to study the blade for a bit since it has interested me for a while now and I hear some cool stuff happens once you hit level 62.

iammeiam

Foe Req at least counts; the uptime is shit, but Bard benefits from that. The crit buff is relatively small, but you're stacking BV, FR, and the 2% crit buff against nerfed Hypercharge, which is now a 5% damage boost with 25% uptime, so like 1.25% rDPS buff. That's the only area the two jobs seem balanced-ish. They both took a hit to their rdps boosting skills, but over the course of the fight they should be comparable in bonus damage.

More would be better, but the bard not getting BV or the crit buff won't kill them.

Troubadour not working is garbage because it means using the support functionality requires somebody baby the bard.

Guess Who

Banned
I would if DPS queues weren't bananas at the moment

I'm basically going to play healer this tier just because I can't deal with that shit

right now i'm debating between leveling my 60 ast to 70 or trying out rdm and i am pushed more and more to ast every single time i try to queue for anything as rdm

Sol Mori

BLM overpowered? I don't think I've ever heard BLM described as overpowered. They were the kings of AoE shit in 2.x and that was about it.

The only thing going for BLM is that their actual rotation is dead simple, but you better know exactly how far and when you need to move during encounters or your dps will drop severely.

Sylas

I'm kinda curious... are there any jobs that don't seem busted/underpowered right now? I've seen complaints about just about every job and I'm beginning to think a lot of them are people being in the adjustment phase. The only two that I haven't seen bitching about are SAM and RDM.

Aeana

I'm kinda curious... are there any jobs that don't seem busted/underpowered right now? I've seen complaints about just about every job and I'm beginning to think a lot of them are people being in the adjustment phase. The only two that I haven't seen bitching about are SAM and RDM.

There's certainly nothing to whine about with AST right now, either.

BLM players have nothing to complain about

Aeana

Can't click off your cards or Royal Road buff anymore.

See you can whine about anything!

Undraw takes care of the former. You can just overwrite the royal road effect with a new one. The only actual complaint there is not being able to cancel the spread card, which is definitely an issue. A minor issue.

I do pine for the old way. Especially since they said we'd be able to use the old way when they showed off the job gauges.

Guess Who

Banned
Can't click off your cards or Royal Road buff anymore.

See you can whine about anything!

There's an undraw button to clear off the currently-drawn card though, which thank god, because having to enable virtual mouse mode on a controller and right-click a card off to get the Draw counter going again was a pain in the ass.

They do need a way to clear off the spread card, and to show the currently drawn cards in the party list so other party members can see what you have.

Baliis

Undraw takes care of the former. You can just overwrite the royal road effect with a new one. The only actual complaint there is not being able to cancel the spread card, which is definitely an issue. A minor issue.

I do pine for the old way. Especially since they said we'd be able to use the old way when they showed off the job gauges.

There's an undraw button to clear off the currently-drawn card though, which thank god, because having to enable virtual mouse mode on a controller and right-click a card off to get the Draw counter going again was a pain in the ass.

They do need a way to clear off the spread card, and to show the currently drawn cards in the party list so other party members can see what you have.

Yea I meant your spread card. Not being able to see what the other AST is holding is pretty bad though.

Also,I haven't seen too many fancy hats yet for RDM, so hopefully that gets addressed. Being depressed when looking at my character is costing me DPS. Damn bards have all the nice hats.

Top Bottom