• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2017 (Aug 07 - Aug 13)

Vena

I'll give Capcom a little slack- World isn't even going to be ready on PC at launch- not sure how feasible it is to expect it day and date on Switch.

PC is its potentially/likely second largest market of the current platforms, yet has no definitive date.

That should tell you all you need to know.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sorry but asinine is your logic that would see a negative sales result on a console as a signal for a software house not supporting that console to start supporting it

It doesn't make sense

Take a look also at the discussion happening g in this very thread about re4 and capcom

You are literally saying Capcom is so unprofessional and/or petty that they would send a game to die commercially and then use that result against the platform. A platform I might add that is selling ahead of 3DS and on track to at least triple PS4's first year).

Sandfox

You should read the post I was replying to

Nope
Let's try it again, hopefully people will start reading instead of attacking

Capcom development pipeline clearly didn't involve switch in a meaningful way
I was hoping for a strong counter sign by the market with bold result for mhxx on switch (relatively speaking)
The predictions are very low, confirming what we were saying in the past weeks, so that capcom sent it to die in many way and the only actual push seem to come from Nintendo
This will surely not be seen as a strong signal toward the switch internally in capcom, and strong signals is what the switch would need to move capcom resources toward the console in a meaningful way

Instead it will sell poorly, and capcom will continue to not support the console as a primarily chosen one
I think you should probably read it again. He said that people who want a Swtich and portable MH over the next seven months will have no other choice than XX. You replied that if they wanted the game there's no reason for them to not buy it at launch as an argument against the game having any legs. That argument makes no sense and my response still stands.

Datschge

Its still pretty likely there's another switch monhun title coming after world is out of the way, should world bomb I'd even expect it to be named 5
With the premature MHW announcement Capcom opened the pandora's box. With the neglect of MHXX they ensured the combo chain that the MH brand had enjoyed in Japan is now broken. MHW obviously raises expectation of MH entries for MHXX to sell significantly worse, this means future MH entries need to fulfill bigger expectations than the incremental improvements until MHXX fostered. This will be a big problem for Capcom as MHW had a big budget and long development time, something they won't want to repeat for subsequent entries. But if MHW and its business model bombs they won't be able to go back to the previous success formula at the previous budget. The sad thing about all this is that the MHXX port actually shows decent effort to adapt textures and assets to the HD screen, something that should sell well if the direct comparison to MHW's assets didn't exist.

Just to show what cash cow Capcom is killing there:
2005 - MHP (PSP): 1.122.604
2007 - MHP2 (PSP): 1.723.187
2008 - MHP2G (PSP): 4.223.523
2010 - MHP3 (PSP): 4.835.761
2011 - MH3G (3DS): 1.929.447
2013 - MH4 (3DS): 3.862.413
2014 - MH4G (3DS): 2.693.561
2015 - MHX (3DS): 3.120.442
2017 - MHXX (3DS): 1.764.401
Sum: 25.275.339 in 12 years/9 games

I welcome any input if anybody is able to calculate total sales of any other brand in Japan surpassing that total in the same time span. On a per game or per year base it may be nothing special, but its consistency likely is only surpassed by Pokemon.

These are all Famitsu numbers for the portable games (all version each) that went over a million, the only home console one that managed that (and isn't included) is MH3 on Wii.

Eolz

I'll give Capcom a little slack- World isn't even going to be ready on PC at launch- not sure how feasible it is to expect it day and date on Switch.

PC is its potentially/likely second largest market of the current platforms, yet has no definitive date.

That should tell you all you need to know.

I kind of disagree as in doing/porting a PC version is a lot more complicated than another console version, mainly due to all the testing to do (and everything related in terms of development). It's not a closed platform in terms of hardware and software.
That being said, of course it wouldn't come out at the same date on Switch, even if it was easy to port (I don't think it'd be hard either but I already had this discussion several times in other threads).

So yeah, it would be feasible in an ideal world, but no it's not feasible at this point in time.

edit:
You are literally saying Capcom is so unprofessional and/or petty that they would send a game to die commercially and then use that result against the platform. A platform I might add that is selling ahead of 3DS and on track to at least triple PS4's first year).

I certainly wouldn't say that for Capcom, but I would for some other companies. Capcom is mainly risk-averse and too slow to react nowadays, and on top of that has probably the worst communication (PR, CM, etc) compared to other devs/pubs its size.

edit 2:
I think something based on World is coming, but not until late 2018 at the earliest.

Agreed.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I kind of disagree as in doing/porting a PC version is a lot more complicated than another console version, mainly due to all the testing to do (and everything related in terms of development). It's not a closed platform in terms of hardware and software.
That being said, of course it wouldn't come out at the same date on Switch, even if it was easy to port (I don't think it'd be hard either but I already had this discussion several times in other threads).

So yeah, it would be feasible in an ideal world, but no it's not feasible at this point in time.

I think something based on World is coming, but not until late 2018 at the earliest.

Nirolak, appreciate the detailed answer. i don't know if you saw it, in page 12 D.Lo already talked about the share holder scenario:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=246530898

Which goes to show how poorly thought out was the decision making process and how much of a bonehead manuver was to potential piss of a major player in the Japanese industry. Even taught if that could be a reactionary behavior to a deal falling of. Be as it may, the early port announcement wasn't a very forward thinking decision.

So I thought about this, and the two reasons that came to mind were:

1.) If your shareholders are notably unhappy about your current business strategy, you might feel pressure to announce a port in order to prevent them from tanking the stock or trying to change board members in a shareholder revolt.

2.) If your game is being ported to another system, you might not want your fans to feel upset by having bought the original system only for that game. An example of this would be Tales of Vesperia on Xbox 360, where there were a lot of stories about how upset Japanese people who bought an Xbox 360 for that game were when it got a PS3 port.

There's a lot of wool to cut here, i will merely refer some points and let the reader piece them together to reach a conclusion, since im not very smart or eloquent as other posters in this thread.

What notable stock holders revolts Capcom has had and how those situations in financial terms compare to the statuos quo back in the RE4 days and the cuarrent (arguably worst?) that we have now?

Now, adressing both share holder revolts and fan disappointments. Do you remember that the fate of the Resident Evil franchise was made public during the early days of the GC life? It was made clear that REmake, Zero and RE4 would be exclusive and ports of the entire franchise were made. That meant that RE fans have to make the insurmountable investment of 99 dollars to enjoy the series.

Did the announcement caused share holder revolts?

Nirolak said:
So, I don't think you will like my answer, but it comes in a few parts.

1.) The PS4/XB1 port of Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5 were released after Resident Evil 7 was announced. However, the counter argument here is that people feel spin-offs and ports on the same platform actually build an audience for an upcoming game regardless of when they're announced.
2.) The late port of Monster Hunter World on PC is publicly announcing that a better version of the game will come at a later date before the game is even released...
3.) In the reverse of the former, people seem to consider announcing late ports for Switch, even if it's before the game ever releases, to actually be a company actively sabotaging the Switch version...
4.) Given the above scenarios, and the fact that Nintendo has not had a platform that is both more popular and more powerful than their competitors in decades, the only scenario that would seem to be accepted as an example is Capcom announcing a mainline entry for a Nintendo platform before a spin-off entry for a non-Nintendo platform released.

Is not about liking, is about finding an equivalent behavior of Capcom in other cases or systems. Which seems there isn't or is? according to Oregano:

You mean like when Capcom announced Resident Evil 6 on the eve of Revelations release?(they even gave it TV spots around that time too, almost a year before its release)

i didn't know about that one nor i haven't verified myself. But again what would be the "logical" reason?

Also point 4 is interesting. Is interesting becaue Monster Hunter has always been more popular in portable devices. And the portable aspect of the Switch is rather competent in terms of processing power. Yet the next main entry is announced for the PS4 home console.

Publishers don't actually consider piracy to be a major issue, which is why everyone makes PC ports as well. It was more about trying to blame financial issues caused by flawed products on any excuse but themselves. Similarly, this is why used games and renting were presented as the devil for quite a few years, but no one even mentions it now that they're all doing better financially.
Well, i mostly agree, with the caveat that i remember some small developers been vocal about how piracy affected their bottom line.

However, i was just pointing out a fact. The chances of a person playing RE4 in a legal way were higher in a GC. That's all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is not about liking, is about finding an equivalent behavior of Capcom in other cases or systems. Which seems there isn't or is?

I gave the example of announcing Monster Hunter Tri for Wii a few months before Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G came out for PSP, which I feel would fit your question even if we consider all ports (in either direction) to be inherently preferable on PlayStation, and arguably equivalent to the Resident Evil Revelations vs. Resident Evil 6 situation as well since it's a mainline console game versus a handheld spin-off.

Vena

@Refreshment.01: A lot of this has to do with and can be explained by, Capcom being a very reactionary company to an extreme that can come off as dumb.

Simple matter of it all is that many of these "bad decisions" you're point out happen to coincide with major downturns for the company at which time they were facing potential anger from investors over failing projections.

We are, with XX and World, in a similar situation: Capcom has been struggling for successes nearly across the board in every IP they own. SFV was a disaster, RE7 cannot meet sales expectations (reported to investors), Dead Rising is dead, and so on. They've only had MH as a brand maintaining any relevance but they also faced a distinct reality: the 3DS is getting old, the PS4 isn't succeeding, WiiU was a failure, and they had no faith in the Switch (perhaps they simply were like EA in that they knew of the idea ahead of time but didn't understand it).

If you "bet against" the Switch's success because, say, you don't understand it or its USP, you have only one viable platform. Now, you also just had a really bad FY and are promising "big success" to your investors... so they had to announce World, a major 4 year-in-the-making project, as they did but because they lacked any prep on the Switch they couldn't get the XX title ready. Now they are faced with two options: slow your marketing plan for World to get XX out, or focus entirely on World (and piss of your Western audience by telling them to buy World), or hold off on World after its announcement and focus on XX.

They chose the former, and since they had already announced World and promised their investors great things... they don't really have much of a choice. (The scope of how much money they sank into Word is also probably going to be hard to justify if they *don't* put their marketing behind it as much as they can, because investors will be coming for their heads if sales performance is bad on this and they completely miss the first year+ of Switch's hungry software period).

In an ideal scenario, they'd not have been reactionary on the Switch but then that would be a different world. Capcom's pants are down on this and they lose a potential hungry audience when already struggling to sell software, that's all of their own making. As the saying goes, you reap what you sow. And when you forgot to sow, you reap nothing. Really, the biggest "miss" here for Capcom has little to even do with Monster Hunter, it is just losing a year or more of a hungry audience for almost any software. They've managed... SFII, a region-trapped XX, and RER1+2 months after its initial launch on other contemporary platforms (because its a rushed and throw together port to try and catch up).

MH World Switch would outsell the PC version even on a sub 10 million install base.

I was speaking about things that actually exist.

ksamedi

You should read the post I was replying to

Nope
Let's try it again, hopefully people will start reading instead of attacking

Capcom development pipeline clearly didn't involve switch in a meaningful way
I was hoping for a strong counter sign by the market with bold result for mhxx on switch (relatively speaking)
The predictions are very low, confirming what we were saying in the past weeks, so that capcom sent it to die in many way and the only actual push seem to come from Nintendo
This will surely not be seen as a strong signal toward the switch internally in capcom, and strong signals is what the switch would need to move capcom resources toward the console in a meaningful way

Instead it will sell poorly, and capcom will continue to not support the console as a primarily chosen one

This post is very difficult to understand.

So youre saying
1) Capcom sends game to die
2) Capcom uses those results to find an excuse to stop supporting platform

That goes against any kind of business logic and I know Capcom has made some questionble decisions in the past but this kind of management would be hilarious. I think you should think through what you are exactly trying to say. You are probably overhinking it.

It probably went more like this
1) Capcom was convinced by Sony years ago to make a more western version of MH with big production values. Handheld versions failed in the west, even with heavy backing from Nintendo. PS4 was the only viable
Option.
2) Switch became an unexpected smash hit
3) Capcom missed the launch of Switch with the MHXX release and mismanaged the rest.

In an ideal world a multiplat version of World would make the most sense. Porting it is not a very easy task, however. You can expect a multiplatform strategy going forward. Lets not forget about Capcoms " multiple Switch version ports" comment.

MoonFrog

If Capcom is as "dumb" about Switch as we all (I think?) think they are it is pretty depressing.

Both on a level of Capcom looking at the next portable device in Japan as being not worth their energy and on the level of Nintendo not convincing them (or being unable to convince them) to be more interested, despite the work they put into the 3DS.

Thanks for the interesting replies. Btw, i truncated them for space reasons not with some ulterior motives. In this case shortned Vena's very detailed answer.

I gave the example of announcing Monster Hunter Tri for Wii a few months before Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G came out for PSP, which I feel would fit your question even if we consider all ports (in either direction) to be inherently preferable on PlayStation, and arguably equivalent to the Resident Evil Revelations vs. Resident Evil 6 situation as well since it's a mainline console game versus a handheld spin-off.
The Tri is a good example. But it corresponds more to the MH:XX/MH:W case than to thr RE4 one. Which even with the thorough replies you and others so kindly shared, is still just downright perplexing.

@Refreshment.01: A lot of this has to do with and can be explained by, Capcom being a very reactionary company to an extreme that can come off as dumb.

In an ideal scenario, they'd not have been reactionary on the Switch but then that would be a different world. Capcom's pants are down on this and they lose a potential hungry audience when already struggling to sell software, that's all of their own making. As the saying goes, you reap what you sow. And when you forgot to sow, you reap nothing. Really, the biggest "miss" here for Capcom has little to even do with Monster Hunter, it is just losing a year or more of a hungry audience for almost any software. They've managed... SFII, a region-trapped XX, and RER1+2 months after its initial launch on other contemporary platforms (because its a rushed and throw together port to try and catch up).
Would people here say "Capcom comes of as dumb" or are they infact dumb?

i mean how can you get cut with your pants down when talking about the 3DS succesor in Japan of all places?

How do you view that risk? The expenditure of MH:W as it is involves a bigger development budget and even bigger marketting expenditure to promote the game in western territories. Versus, just going with the flow and moving the audience to the Switch which was the more natural fit for the franchize.

Fdkn

MHW is already multiplat. It is being developed for every platform available on the time of its inception.

This fact will keep being ignored for years.

I was speaking about things that actually exist.

Fair enough, I thought you just meant "current platforms" in general not current platforms where the game is already announced to release on.

MHW is already multiplat. It is being developed for every platform available on the time of its inception.

This fact will keep being ignored for years.

It will be released in the West on Switch in 2018 imo. That's why no Switch XX for the West.

KtSlime

I would like to remind people that MHW is not multiplat in Japan, that it is limited to PS4. They should have considered releasing it on PC though, while PC isn't the most popular platform in Japan, laptops are far more portable than PS4s, and would have made up a bit of their (soon to be) lost sales.

Malakai

So youre saying

That goes against any kind of business logic and I know Capcom has made some questionble decisions in the past but this kind of management would be hilarious. I think you should think through what you are exactly trying to say. You are probably overhinking it.

1) Capcom was convinced by Sony years ago to make a more western version of MH with big production values. Handheld versions failed in the west, even with heavy backing from Nintendo. PS4 was the only viable
Option.
3) Capcom missed the launch of Switch with the MHXX release and mismanaged the rest.

In an ideal world a multiplat version of World would make the most sense. Porting it is not a very easy task, however. You can expect a multiplatform strategy going forward. Lets not forget about Capcoms " multiple Switch version ports" comment.

That is the issue. MH on 3DS didn't fail in the west. Furthermore, Capcom didn't even support it the West. Nintendo was doing the all of the heavy lifting for franchise in the West. Yet, Capcom somehow is able to pull a major advertising push for Monster Hunter World on the x86 twins in the West and simultaneously release MHW globally(something that was NEVER done with 3DS in the West). That is clearly betting against Nintendo platforms.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Tri is a good example. But it corresponds more to the MH:XX/MH:W case than to thr RE4 one. Which even with the thorough replies you and others so kindly shared, is still just downright perplexing.

Capcom in particular almost exclusively makes multiplatform games, especially for the types of products that make sense to port, so you would actually have to go to another publisher like Square Enix and look at Rise of the Tomb Raider for a similar example.

They did announce Dead Rising 4 was coming to Steam a few months after the Windows 10 release, which would have slowed their sales on the Windows 10 store if you really want a Capcom specific example. Similarly they announced that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was a timed PS4 exclusive that would be out on Xbox One and PC shortly after. We did cover Monster Hunter World's PC version as well.

Aters

So youre saying

Option.

You know what to do when you finally established a one million fanbase in the west? Abandon them! This is Capcom logic. Not only do they not make their new big game available to their fanbase, they deliberately give them middle finger by not releasing MHXX. Capcom is clearly betting against Nintendo, and they've lost the bet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You know what to do when you finally established a one million fanbase in the west? Abandon them!

This position only makes sense if you feel a significant portion of the people who played Monster Hunter on 3DS don't own a PC, PS4, or XB1. I don't think that's a very good assumption.

MoonFrog

Off-topic, but I always assumed the trend was towards multiplatform among Japanese developers putting games on one of the "twins" (or, previously, "triplets," "quadruplets," or whatever the case may have been), accelerating last generation.

I think that thought pretty much comes from looking at SE, though.

But I also am pretty ignorant of the (third party) libraries of the SEGA consoles, Turbografx, MSX, N64, etc.

I also wonder if the performance of Xbox One is reversing this assumed (by me) trend, going forward.

PC is another thing...expanding to Steam is seeming more and more common. But then I think of old Final Fantasy PC releases and what not. Were a lot of Japanese PS games also on PC and I was just unaware?

Bringing this back to Nirolak's post, Capcom did put the Resident Evils out on N64 and did support the GCN while also supporting Playstation. How good was its SEGA support? N64 support in general? OG Xbox?

Idk. Just curious about this suddenly.

Vena

This position only makes sense if you feel a significant portion of the people who played Monster Hunter on 3DS don't own a PC, PS4, or XB1. I don't think that's a very good assumption.

Series is fairly bite-sized designed, so we'd also have to ask of those (who assuredly do have a PC/PS4/X1) are actually interested in stationary MH, and how much of the audience grew on 3DS because of an interest of having it available wherever. The USP is gone, and while it may well be the same experience and people *did* play it at home as well as on the go, missing the on-the-go part of the selling point can definitely torpedo interest.

Aspects of the community weren't exactly thrilled in the west to hear they were getting neither XX-3DS or Switch, if it was just a question of MH being MH I don't know if we'd have had such a large stink (that, of course, Capcom NA's PR decided to spray over with sulfur).

That said, I am unconvinced it was a million dedicated to MH and more that it was a combination of Nintendo marketing, N3DS launch, and "software on my platform". But still, they certainly aren't doing said fanbase any "favors" by answering questions about the absence of XX with "we have World". You may not be abandoning your audience, but that's definitely not a way to engender them either.

If Capcom is as "dumb" about Switch as we all (I think?) think they are it is pretty depressing.

Both on a level of Capcom looking at the next portable device in Japan as being not worth their energy and on the level of Nintendo not convincing them (or being unable to convince them) to be more interested, despite the work they put into the 3DS.
While I give pubs flack for the lack of early support, I do think Nintendo may have been too secretive.
It was announced and released within less than 6 months. Even though some games like Rabbids have been in the works for around 3 years, it sounds like they didn't give out dev kits to a lot of studios until late last year.
...though I sincerely doubt they wouldn't tell Capcom about Switch or ask them to support it early on since they were on early enough to ask Nintendo to add ram.

Vena

While I give pubs flack for the lack of early support, I do think Nintendo may have been too secretive.
It was announced and released within less than 6 months. Even though some games like Rabbids have been in the works for around 3 years, it sounds like they didn't give out dev kits to a lot of studios until late last year.
...though I sincerely doubt they wouldn't tell Capcom about Switch or ask them to support it early on since they were on early enough to ask Nintendo to add ram.

Devs/pubs knew what it was long before launch, look to the EA interview. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420298&highlight=ea

Emphasis years ago.

Mario007

I think we can all agree that:

A publisher that support Nintendo platforms = smart publisher.
A publisher that doesn't support Nintendo platforms = stupid publisher.
A publisher that supported Nintendo platforms but then doesn't = hahaha stupid publisher.
A publisher that didn't initially support a Nintendo platform fully but now publicly stated will do so= hahaha what a mess of a company.

We can use this going forward and save ourselves pages of pointless discussion about Capcom of all things.

Vena

A publisher that supported Nintendo platforms but then doesn't = hahaha stupid publisher.
A publisher that didn't initially support a Nintendo platform fully but now publicly stated will do so= hahaha what a mess of a company.

We can use this going forward and save ourselves pages of pointless discussion about Capcom of all things.

What is with some of you and building strawmen for things no one has said or claimed? If you have a point to make, make it with actual merit and in good faith, not fallacies.

Snakeyes

Bringing this back to Nirolak's post, Capcom did put the Resident Evils out on N64 and did support the GCN while also supporting Playstation. How good was its SEGA support?
Saturn was decent, it lacked RE2 and Capcom's RPGs but had the best versions of their 2D games. Dreamcast had one of the strongest Capcom lineups for its short lifespan. All their best fighting games, ports of RE 1-3 and Dino Crisis, Power Stone, etc... This was mainly due to the fact that Capcom moved their arcade development to Sega's NAOMI board after the failure of their own CPS3.

N64 support in general?
Terrible. Nothing of note aside from ports of RE2 and the first Megaman Legends.
Worst out of the three but still decent.

Mario007

What is with some of you and building strawmen for things no one has said or claimed? If you have a point to make, make it with actual merit and in good faith, not fallacies.

Right, this is like the third or fourth MC thread where we discuss Capcom and whether it's a smartly run company or not. It's honestly not that much of an exciting discussion, has been discussed to death and it does seem to fall in the line of: support switch= good, not support switch= bad.

Now I get why that is since Switch is a hit in Japan so not supporting is is like not supporting ps4 in the west, but we could finally move on by saying Capcom missed the boat on Switch's launch which was a mistake. Then again they were burned by the 3DS launch (and 3DS everything but Monster Hunter really), so I can't fault them that much.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Series is fairly bite-sized designed, so we'd also have to ask of those (who assuredly do have a PC/PS4/X1) are actually interested in stationary MH, and how much of the audience grew on 3DS because of an interest of having it available wherever. The USP is gone, and while it may well be the same experience and people *did* play it at home as well as on the go, missing the on-the-go part of the selling point can definitely torpedo interest.

Aspects of the community weren't exactly thrilled in the west to hear they were getting neither XX-3DS or Switch, if it was just a question of MH being MH I don't know if we'd have had such a large stink (that, of course, Capcom NA's PR decided to spray over with sulfur).

That said, I am unconvinced it was a million dedicated to MH and more that it was a combination of Nintendo marketing, N3DS launch, and "software on my platform". But still, they certainly aren't doing said fanbase any "favors" by answering questions about the absence of XX with "we have World". You may not be abandoning your audience, but that's definitely not a way to engender them either.

We don't seem to be seeing any signs that there's low interest in this game though.

The debut trailer has 11 million views between the three main sources despite millions of people watching it live. All have very high approval ratings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6r15wzp2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXB2IHLm4m0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDp4b9Qw_O8

Gigantic length gameplay videos are getting 1-3 million views, again with very high approval ratings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-RAeDfOMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKE9iVz-Ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsDCSfgIqjs

The gameplay video that came out two days ago is already at 900K views with very high ratings between the two main sources, and youtube view progression is something that really racks up over time, so there's good interest there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqY6yXn2S4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX2eK3mmIVI

There doesn't seem to be some huge push back here outside of a select audience.

If you look up Monster Hunter 4 or Monster Hunter X/Generations, they certainly didn't generate anywhere near this kind of attention.

That is the issue. MH on 3DS didn't fail in the west. Furthermore, Capcom didn't even support it the West. Nintendo was doing the all of the heavy lifting for franchise in the West. Yet, Capcom somehow is able to pull a major advertising push for Monster Hunter World on the x86 twins in the West and simultaneously release MHW globally(something that was NEVER done with 3DS in the West). That is clearly betting against Nintendo platforms.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Malakai

Right, this is like the third or fourth MC thread where we discuss Capcom and whether it's a smartly run company or not. It's honestly not that much of an exciting discussion, has been discussed to death and it does seem to fall in the line of: support switch= good, not support switch= bad.

Now I get why that is since Switch is a hit in Japan so not supporting is is like not supporting ps4 in the west, but we could finally move on by saying Capcom missed the boat on Switch's launch which was a mistake. Then again they were burned by the 3DS launch (and 3DS everything but Monster Hunter really), so I can't fault them that much.

Everyone keep saying that the 3DS was a dumper fire for third party sales and Nintendo "burned" them but Capcom games don't fit that description at all. They launched with Super Street Fighter IV which was the best selling third party title at launch. (A launch btw that Nintendo purposely kept clear in order to give third party games a chance to shine)

Ōkami

I did mentioned some time ago, but yes MHXX interest died when World was announced for everything for Switch, not the announcement of the game itself, but to what it was coming out for.

Think of it as if after Monster Hunter 3G had been announced for 3DS then two weeks later Monster Hunter 4 gets announced for Vita and 4 being shown as a huge improvement over 3G.

The game should do alright anyway because for a few weeks if you want to get a Switch you'll be getting the game too.

People have been discussin what happenned with Resident Evil 4, and it is somewhat similar, interest on the NGC just dissapeared after the PS2 version was announced, but the NGC/PS2 situation was quite different, in 2005 everyone already had PS2 and nobody wanted to have an NGC.

MoonFrog

Well I imagine many see Nintendo's future as limited in Japan (because of mobile) and simply a smaller (and, importantly, discrete) market globally.

It also isn't the presumed place for big budget GaaS blockbusters, but rather tends to be more old-fashioned. I don't think it is where you "up-size" your production and business.

I think companies like Capcom want to be EA or Activision or they want to be one of the mobile giants or both (or they don't know which).

@Snakeyes: Thanks for the insight.

Sandfox

What?

Vena

We don't seem to be seeing any signs that there's low interest in this game though.

Never claimed there was a lack of interest. My point is/was not mutually exclusive, because I was talking about the community in the west as it exists. It certainly isn't millions strong, I don't even think its a million strong. So these numbers you present aren't about them but about a potential new audience.

The debut trailer has 11 million views between the three main sources despite millions of people watching it live. All have very high approval ratings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6r15wzp2o

To be clear, this one is inflated immensely on the english side as it was an ad run. Look at the Like/View ratio. (Genuinely asking: If you remove this vid, is... a million all that big for a supposed "big" title in the west?)

There doesn't seem to be some huge push back here outside of a select audience.
If you look up Monster Hunter 4 or Monster Hunter X/Generations, they certainly didn't generate anywhere near this kind of attention.

To be clear I am not arguing against their being interest but more that I don't know how large the current western audience is right now, and how much of it exists as a tenuous blob that just comes and goes with "its on my machine any way". YouTube views could just as well be *new* fans which are beside the point of my original point.

I wish we knew what was shown when and what Nintendo said and why companies like Capcom were seemingly not enthused.
Maybe something like a wii u gamepad that you plug into the TV?
Dont' imagine the docking system was as clean as the final model that early on
Fate Extella Link (at least that's the url said) will be revealed next week
http://fate-extella-link.jp/
nothing important in the site yet except the reveal date (30/8)
The last one was the musou game from my understanding
That's not how the normal games play, right?

MoonFrog

Maybe something like a wii u gamepad that you plug into the TV?
Dont' imagine the docking system was as clean as the final model that early on
Yeah. It'd be interesting to know what the Switch even WAS at various points.

I think it settled out to be an attractive hybrid and a revolutionary portable with things like local two joycon portable multiplayer. You'd think that'd excite a company that made a lot of money on portable cooperative experiences. And you'd think Nintendo would drive that home with its partners.

But was the Switch always so elegant?

It is just we're talking about Capcom being "dumb," and I feel that this is a huge moving part in that equation.

Nintendo won. With or without Monster Hunter.

Capcom is the one betting. Good luck to them. They will need if they ever want to achieve 4 million domestic sales again. Or worldwide. Hohohohoh.

Resident Evil is more beaten than Wesker. Street Fighter sales are uglier than Chun Li.

Ace Attorney is expired and in kanji. Basara got eaten. Megaman is a non factor and even Sonic is out of the dust now.

Dragon's Dogma will bomb AGAIN (fourth time now?). Their mobile business is wwwwww.

If Nintendo ever release their hunting game it's over for Capcum.

Sandfox

Capcom is the one betting. Good luck to them. They will need if they ever want to achieve 4 million domestic sales again. Or worldwide. Hohohohoh.

Resident Evil is more beaten than Wesker. Street Fighter sales are uglier than Chun Li.

Ace Attorney is expired and in kanji. Basara got eaten. Megaman is a non factor and even Sonic is out of the dust now.

Dragon's Dogma will bomb AGAIN (fourth time now?). Their mobile business is wwwwww.

I think you're exaggerating, but Capcom has done a poor job of managing their franchises with the exception of maybe MH and I'm curious to see what they end up doing.

This is probably not necessary

Sammy I'm sorry but please don't post stuff in a way like this.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

01./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./06. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Switch Splatoon 2 Set) <BUN> (Nintendo)
03./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./03. [3DS] The Snack World <RPG> (Level 5)
05./05. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package <RPG> (Square Enix)
07./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
08./14. [NSW] ARMS <FTG> (Nintendo)
09./11. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo)
10./13. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
11./08. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy <ADV> (Level 5)
12./12. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
13./15. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
14./10. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
15./09. [PS4] Hitman: The Complete First Season <ACT> (Square Enix)
16./19. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two)
17./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer)
18./18. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo)
19./17. [PS4] Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 <ACT> (Capcom)
20./04. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhod&#333; Ry&#363;nosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

01./02. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
02./04. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
03./01. [PS4] Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (Complete Edition) <RPG> (Level 5)
04./10. [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport <RCE> (Sony Interactive)
05./08. [PS4] Nights of Azure 2: Brode of the New Moon (Premium Box) <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
06./09. [PS4] NBA 2K18 <SPT> (Take-Two)
07./03. [PS4] Itadaki Street: DQ and FF 30th Anniversary <PZL> (Square Enix)
08./16. [PS4] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
09./11. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 <SPT> (Konami)
10./13. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey (25th Anniversary Special Box) <RPG> (Atlus)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 32, 2017 (Aug 07 - Aug 13)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Aters

Replace "Nintendo platform" with Switch and you are correct. At this point it's obvious Switch will dominate Japan.

Top Bottom