• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxenfree, Stardew, & Axiom Verge - Which Switch games are you buying this week?

The Hermit

Volgarr the Viking!

Is this coming for the switch too?

I still have to

- complete all shrines and master quest in Zelda
- play a lot more of ARMS
- finish 100% Steamworld Dig 2
- finish Golf Story

And I want to buy

Worms
Hollow Knight
Axiom Verge
Tindlememewhatever park
Volgar
Oxenfree
Picross

And there's still Mario

FUCK
I am starving so much

I'm only on the 4th course in golf story and I'm 12 hours in and this is off the back of steamworld dig 2 which is off the back of 40 hours with Mario x rabbids.

I'm picking up sweating from switch heat this week.

Morts

Definitely Axiom Verge and Stardew Valley.

I'm on the fence about Steamworld Dig 2 and Overcooked. I'm not finished with the first Steamworld and I don't usually do much multiplayer, but I might have friends over this weekend.

But I could potentially double my Switch library this week, which is currently just Zelda, Splatoon, and Snake Pass.

The Jag

Neo Member
Sadly, I already finished Oxenfree (XB1) and Axiom Verge (ps4). But Stardew for the Switch is very enticing.

pa22word

What's so special about stardew valley? It just looks like a farming simulator?

Wait, Oxenfree on the Switch is this week?

I'd also like to know this. Genuine question.

If you haven't played a harvest moon game or have no desire to do so then there's not really much to say to convince you. It's a certain flavor and acquired taste that's a weird mix of a farming sim, relationship sim, and (in some cases, depending on entry) general resource grinding.

It's a type of game that had no right to exist or be anywhere near as stupidly engaging as it is, but it does and it has its fans.

jrcbandit

Either Axiom Verge or Picross which I didn't grab last week since I got Golf Story instead. All the others I already own on PC.

Cleve

None, already got them on other platforms.

Maybe I'll pick up Golf Story though, it sounds pretty awesome.

Stardew without question as soon as it goes live. Most likely Oxenfree along with it. One of these days I'll get around to Axiom Verge. I was planning on grabbing it, but after Samus Returns, I'm kinda Metroided out at the moment.

If you haven't played a harvest moon game or have no desire to do so then there's not really much to say to convince you. It's a certain flavor and acquired taste that's a weird mix of a farming sim, relationship sim, and (in some cases, depending on entry) general resource grinding.

It's a type of game that had no right to exist or be anywhere near as stupidly engaging as it is, but it does and it has its fans.

I love harvest moon, just never got around to trying Stardew. I see it hyped up a lot though so I was wondering why, and what separates it from Harvest Moon really.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love harvest moon, just never got around to trying Stardew. I see it hyped up a lot though so I was wondering why, and what separates it from Harvest Moon really.

It's a much more modern sequel to the OG Harvest Moon games that were top down vs the newer entries, and it borrows some from Rune Factory as well.

Plus it has a dash of Animal Crossing along with some resource grinding like a Minecraft or Terraria.

pa22word

Oh, personally I've never played the game. I was just explaining the general appeal of HM games lol

Volgarr is an amazing game. I need a sequel.

If you have a 3DS be sure to check out Shinobi 3D! Made by some of the same key people (lead designer on S3D is 1/2 of Crazy Viking Studios), and is totally amazing. It's an entirely different type of platformer, but the key idea of not getting hit ever is still there due to the multiplier system the game has that ups score and gamespeed the longer you go without getting hit. Also has an /amazing/ soundtrack done by Norihiko Hibino of MGS fame.

Seriously, just great music >.>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjpOYZRO5RE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEMjcZSUgLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbjJ0FTIepk

One of the best OSTs on the 3DS as far as I'm concerned.

heringer

Oxenfree is like $4 on iOS, so no Switch version for me.

Axiom Verge doesn't appeal to me for some reason, which is weird because I love Metroidvania.

Stardew Valley is a day one purchase.

Do we have a thread were we can see what gets a retail version and what not? It's too much in the last week's I can't keep up. :D

gweemz

Oxenfree was better than I expected, but J also got it for free on Xbox so I doubt I will double dip for it on Switch.

Golf Story looks fun but I may wait for a sale on it. Too many other games to play.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Golf Story for me. I already played Axiom Verge (which is excellent) and I'm not really into Stardew.

I'm kind of considering Dig 2 but I got kind of tired of the first one and never finished it, so idk.

Neither Oxenfree or Stardew are my cup if tea but I want to play Metroid kinda games so Axiom Verge (with Super Metroid in SNes mini)

Also this

This.

sBy6Hn7.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I want Axiom Verge, but with so many unplayed games it wouldn't be smart to pick it up now. Stardew Valley doesn't appeal to me, and I own Oxenfree on Steam (haven't started it yet, of course).

jariw

From this week's releases, I will get Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Tumblestone (double-dipping) and Stardew Valley (for the kids).
Perhaps Axiom Verge as well. If Earth Atlantis releases this week, I'll probably get that as well.

Might get Oxenfree later, and will wait for more impressions on the rest of the releases.

Fliesen

Gonna triple-dip on Stardew Valley - and triple-sink tens of hours (however long it took to get to the end of year 2 on both PS4 and PC ...)

Axiom hasn't clicked with me - neither on PS4, nor Vita.

I need more handholding - i get incredibly anxious over the fact that EVERY SINGLE TILE in EVERY SINGLE SCREEN could be a hidden block that needs to be EITHER shot or 'glitched'.
It's really no fun running through every screen, 'vacuuming' every inch of every floor and every wall ...

Already own all 3 on other platforms and don't feel like double dipping right now.

Oxenfree was great though, and I highly recommend it if you're into story based games. Perfect game for fall.

Love metroidvanias, but was not a fan of Axiom Verge, sadly. Tried to get into it on PS4 then again on Vita and it just did not click with me.

Haven't tried Stardew Valley yet because I'm afraid of the time sink. Generally prefer indie games on a handheld so I might double dip later after I finish Steamworld Dig, Golf Story and Mario x Rabbids.

Switch has too many games right now tbh.

I want Stardew Valley, but I really shouldn't buy it since I haven't finished Zelda yet (65 hours and counting) and I haven't even achieved power level required for the Nightfall in Destiny 2.

But I really want Stardew Valley :(

ChazGW7

Stardew Valley is an insta-buy. I own it on PC but never got round to getting very far in it, as soon as I heard it was coming to Switch I decided that would be the platform I'd play it on, cant wait!

Omikaru

Will probably get Stardew Valley. Also want to grab Golf Story from last week. Between those two and Steamworld Dig 2, I have plenty to play on my journey to London this weekend.

Not to make you feel bad OP, but I really wish that when people created threads about specific games, they would put some effort to tell what the games are about. Not nearly everyone knows these games you know.

Like, maybe link an image of each game. Already makes the OP a hundred times more interesting and then everyone gets at least some kind of mental image of how the game looks.

A brief video is great too.

So here's a some videos and images:

Oxenfree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAhrOoNR4ng

Stardew Valley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

Axiom Verge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U04mprotZU

Volgarr the Viking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q6iGmHejgA

On topic, will get Axiom Verge when it comes and very likely Volgarr at some point. Hadn't heard of Oxenfree before but that looks really interesting so will very likely get it at some point too.

CompC

I'll be picking up Stardew Valley, since everyone says it's so great.

I have Oxenfree on PC from a humble bundle, but I'll definitely rebuy it on Switch for convenience and to support the devs.

I'll be waiting a bit longer for Axiom Verge, I played that on PS4 when it came out and I have the Multiverse edition pre-ordered for Switch. I loved that.

As to when I'll actually get to play these games... I don't know! I'm still working on SteamWorld Dig 2, Metroid, Mario + Rabbids, and Danganronpa V3, and soon Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Super Mario Odyssey will be out. This is too many great stuff in a short period of time!

I'm still working through Cuphead and Pokken.

I'll hold off on Stardew until a physical release. I have it on PC, so I can wait.
Is Stardew Valley confirmed to have a physical version on Switch? I haven't seen it listed anywhere but if it's coming I'm going to wait until it does to pick it up.

Hoo-doo

Banned
For all that's good and pure. Buy Stardew Valley.

That game is love. And it being portable would make it absolute digital crack cocaine.

Neiteio

Definitely getting Stardew Valley, which I've been anticipating for months now (although I will probably continue to focus on Golf Story and SteamWorld Dig 2 first). SWD2 and Samus Returns are scratching my Metroidvania itch, so I think I'll skip Axiom Verge for the time being. I'd buy Hollow Knight in a heartbeat, though.

As for Oxenfree — I don't know anything about it. What is this game?

Li Kao

Stardew day one.
I didn't really like what I played of Axiom Verge and at 20 bucks it goes from 'why not' to 'pass'.
I was greatly underwhelmed by Oxenfree, so it's not even a possibility.

Top Bottom