• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
Meant to say not over 800MHz for Sony and Microsoft.

Sony: 1152 @ 800MHz = 1843GFLOPs
Microsoft: 1280 @ 750-800MHz = 2048GFLOPs

Sony ends up a bit below, but not that much. Certainly not enough to bottleneck it. Nintendo, however? Unless the final box is much bigger, don't count on such high clocks.

I'm sorry but those chips would run much hotter than a 640sp @ 800mhz, the size of AMD chips with 1280sp in their current GPU is 212mm^2 (the HD 7870) it has a TDP of 160 watts @ 1ghz.

The size of AMD's 640sp in the HD 7770 GPU is 123mm^2 it has a TDP of 80 watts @ 1ghz.

Basically it has about HALF the TDP for half the sp. Your chart would look like this if taken my points into consideration.

Sony: 1152 @ 800mhz ~110w TDP = 1843GFLOPs [88]
Microsoft: 1280 @ 800mhz ~122w TDP = 2048GFLOPs [98]
Nintendo: 640 @ 800mhz ~61w TDP = 1024GFLOPs [48]

Considering none of the console makers will use the heavy GCN architecture, we can probably shave off 20% of the heat, leaving you with the bracketed numbers above, now if these were embedded parts (as they likely will be) they could shave off even more heat, but it's easier to do this sort of calculation with a chip in mind, which is why I used the e6760 as a starting point.

Your belief that the Wii U couldn't handle a chip that hot (~50watts) is just wrong, having half the shaders basically means half the size and thus half the heat, and as many people in these threads have said in the past, the size of the console won't limit the TDP as much as people might think, it's all about air flow.

wsippel

Banned
Yeah that bothers me about it too, considering I have Gmod and there are a TON of suited Samus models.
On the other hand, Samus is the only usually armored character on those screens who's still recognizable even without her armor, as the Zero Suit is also quite iconic and unique. And trading armor and firepower for speed, she still kicks major butt without her suit. Makes for a slightly more diverse and colorful cast, would just be a selection of tin cans otherwise.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Good morning everyone! Just dropping in to say I'm going with my girlfriend to the Legend of Zelda Symphony in Atlanta tonight! I'm extremely excited, I thought this day would never get here. I plan on making the trip an all day event, but I'll try and drop in once and a while to see if anything Is new. Have fun speculating!

Edit: if anyone from here is going, bring your 3DS. I'll have my personal message set as "neogaf - skies".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
On the other hand, Samus is the only usually armored character on those screens who's still recognizable even without her armor, as the Zero Suit is also quite iconic and unique. And trading armor and firepower for speed, she still kicks major butt without her suit. Makes for a slightly more diverse and colorful cast, would just be a selection of tin cans otherwise.

Even with her suit she'd stick out.

I hope next gen dev tools have an easy to find colour picker. It's obviously hidden behind seven million options at the moment since no one seems to be using it.

Good morning everyone! Just dropping in to say I'm going with my girlfriend to the Legend of Zelda Symphony in Atlanta tonight! I'm extremely excited, I thought this day would never get here. I plan on making the trip an all day event, but I'll try and drop in once and a while to see if anything Is new. Have fun speculating!
Thanks for the update?

Portugeezer

I'm sorry but those chips would run much hotter than a 640sp @ 800mhz, the size of AMD chips with 1280sp in their current GPU is 212mm^2 (the HD 7870) it has a TDP of 160 watts @ 1ghz.

The size of AMD's 640sp in the HD 7770 GPU is 123mm^2 it has a TDP of 80 watts @ 1ghz.

Basically it has about HALF the TDP for half the sp. Your chart would look like this if taken my points into consideration.

Considering none of the console makers will use the heavy GCN architecture, we can probably shave off 20% of the heat, leaving you with the bracketed numbers above, now if these were embedded parts (as they likely will be) they could shave off even more heat, but it's easier to do this sort of calculation with a chip in mind, which is why I used the e6760 as a starting point.

Your belief that the Wii U couldn't handle a chip that hot (~50watts) is just wrong, having half the shaders basically means half the size and thus half the heat, and as many people in these threads have said in the past, the size of the console won't limit the TDP as much as people might think, it's all about air flow.
Ok now translate what you said into normal people language, if you don't mind :p

AlStrong

That is why my (granted) rough calculations/estimations are doable, the 6770m has a TDP of 30watts and runs at 725mhz with 480sp,
You do realize mobile parts are cherry picked for their particular thermal characteristics at particular voltages... It's part of the binning concept.

Also, power consumption can go down if they're using PCI-E 2.X instead of 3.0.

BurntPork

Banned

What?

WHAT!!?

Almost every single rumor from the very start has pointed to Sony and Microsoft using Southern Islands, including the PS4 target specs. If you're just going to make random and silly assumptions, then make more assumptions based on those assumptions, there's no point in continuing this conversation.

You do realize mobile parts are cherry picked for their particular thermal characteristics at particular voltages... It's part of the binning concept.

Thanks for explaining that better than I did.

z0m3le

Banned
What?

WHAT!!?

Almost every single rumor from the very start has pointed to Sony and Microsoft using Southern Islands. If you're just going to make random and silly assumptions, then make more assumptions based on those assumptions, there's no point in continuing this conversation.

LOL, if you believe that Sony and Microsoft are going to use off the shelf parts, and not a custom chip, that is totally fine, it also doesn't diminish what I've said about my Wii U speculation on the GPU. You can attack that point of my statement, but it literally has nothing to do with if that 640sp @ 800mhz is possible.

Honestly, the game is interesting for me because:

1. No war setting

2. Campiness and it doesn't seem to take itself very seriously

3. Get good vibes from this team for some reason

It'll be a almost-sure-get if it controls well(hope for Remote options)

Yup, it's going to be the first game I buy for the same reasons plus a few more:

4) It's set in London and we finally have an Englishman in a video game that isn't a baddie lol

5) The humour seems right up my street (although you did mention that in your second point), but I dare say some holier-than-though reviewers will complain about it

6) The multiplayer is actually different, although I would want the usual Deathmatch Team Deathmatch and CTF games in addition to the mode shown in the proof-of-concept demo last year

7) I think it may be powered by the LyN engine, which is a nice piece of kit. Ubisoft Paris got some stunning visuals using the LyN engine on the Wii's underpowered hardware so I'm drooling at the thought of what sort of eye candy we're going to see on hardware more powerful than the PS3 and 360...

*Drools*

z0m3le

Banned
Ok now translate what you said into normal people language, if you don't mind :p

Basically Wii U's GPU can be 640sp @ 800mhz if sony and microsoft can manage twice that, especially if they end up using GCN, which is a very bulky design thanks to it's GPGPU abilities... Uhh well I tried.

If xbox3 can produce 1080p game, Wii U will have the power to produce that same game, with the about the same details/effects at 720p.

Sadist

Oh man, that horrible stuff from the last page with Shepard, Samus, Isaac Clarke and more. I laughed out loud. Horrible horrible horrible.

Azure J

Nintendo, however? Unless the final box is much bigger, don't count on such high clocks.

While it still remains to be seen what final Wii U internals will be like while running, Nintendo made the Gamecube. This fact alone gives them the benefit of the doubt and when combined with the more volume in the Wii U's shell design and more real estate thanks to not packing GCN parts (Gamecube, not AMD's stuff :p) nothing is ruled out until tests prove otherwise.

*This thread is moving soo faaast I cant even remember which page I replayed to ~_~ anyway thanx for all who replied to me,, i guess :/*

ok so hitman is gonna be released on Nov.30 ,,,so there might be a chance this will be unveiled for the WiiU.

and no news on Tomb Raider makes me thinks it will be pushed somewhere next year. So I'm really hoping Eidos & (sqeeinx?) comes to their senses and start porting the damn thing to the WiiU

BurntPork

Banned
LOL, if you believe that Sony and Microsoft are going to use off the shelf parts, and not a custom chip, that is totally fine, it also doesn't diminish what I've said about my Wii U speculation on the GPU. You can attack that point of my statement, but it literally has nothing to do with if that 640sp @ 800mhz is possible.

I said nothing about off the shelf. Stop putting words into my mouth. They're going to use GCN. That's a certainty at this point.

And Alstrong just explained the mobile part issue. You just chose to plug your ears and go, "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" Acting like that makes having a conversation with you a waste of time for both of us.

While it still remains to be seen what final Wii U internals will be like while running, Nintendo made the Gamecube. This fact alone gives them the benefit of the doubt and when combined with the more volume in the Wii U's shell design and more real estate thanks to not packing GCN parts (Gamecube, not AMD's stuff :p) nothing is ruled out until tests prove otherwise.

GameCube had a 25W TDP.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If Sony announces a price drop for the Vita and a great line-up, Nintendo gotta counter-attack with the 3DS. (Not a price drop but some amazing stuff will be needed.)

I though the Upad "does not perform game processeses" in any way, acting more like a "thin client", just "decoding" the received video/audio stream.

What is this talking about?

What's the meaning of "the process of generating the terminal game image may be performed by the terminal device" ?

untitledw3fbq.png

(source - p32)

Talking about the 3DS maybe OR even written before Upad design finalized?

wsippel

Banned

I don't really see why they should use PCI-E to begin with.

tkscz

Is Sony announced a price drop for the Vita and a great line-up, Nintendo gotta counter-attack with the 3DS. (Not a price drop but some amazing stuff will be needed.)

Well this was kind of random.

Don't know much about console hardware do you?

Azure J

GameCube had a 25W TDP.

OK.... But how does citing what kind of TDP rating the Gamecube had subtract from what I'm saying, namely if Nintendo wanted to, they could work out something much more powerful than what's out now while remaining under a small TDP/form factor? I cited Gamecube as a precedent.

wsippel

Banned
What?

WHAT!!?

Almost every single rumor from the very start has pointed to Sony and Microsoft using Southern Islands, including the PS4 target specs. If you're just going to make random and silly assumptions, then make more assumptions based on those assumptions, there's no point in continuing this conversation.
The chips mentioned in most rumors are just rebranded Northern Islands GPUs. Only the top end 7xxx chips are actually Southern Islands GPUs. AMD does that shit all the time.

BurntPork

Banned
OK.... But how does citing what kind of TDP rating the Gamecube had subtract from what I'm saying, namely if Nintendo wanted to, they could work out something much more powerful than what's out now while remaining under a small TDP/form factor? I cited Gamecube as a precedent.

No amount of customizing can defy the laws of physics. Parts use more power now than they did 11 years ago.

The chips mentioned in most rumors are just rebranded Northern Islands GPUs. Only the top end 7xxx chips are actually Southern Islands GPUs. AMD does that shit all the time.

Only IGN rumored the 6670/7670. Every other rumor says SI, though they don't mention a specific chip.

ozfunghi

Yeah. I can see Wii U's GPU having fundamental similarities to that GPU. I'm anxious to learn what the final looks like and what it's capable of.

I'm confident in what it will be able to do, and at the same time that confidence has been based on a viewpoint that ignores the tweaks Nintendo had been making. So it should at least be slightly better than what I've been saying.

that article is over a year old... any chance, should they take this route, that they might be working on a newer embedded chip?

tkscz

No amount of customizing can defy the laws of physics. Parts use more power now than they did 11 years ago.

Only IGN rumored the 6670/7670. Every other rumor says SI, though they don't mention a specific chip.

Ah, while that's true, parts are also smaller than they were 11 years ago. Shrinking the die size uses less electricity and produces less heat, making it easier to cool. I think that's his point.

BurntPork

Banned
Ah, while that's true, parts are also smaller than they were 11 years ago. Shrinking the die size uses less electricity and produces less heat, making it easier to cool. I think that's his point.

Yes, which allows greater total system power consumption, which is the reason nobody thinks that Wii U will have a 25W TDP. So?

Hopefully Nintendo really plans on pushing downloadable games on the Wii U. They should really take advantage of their relationships with Japanese devs and go to them to produce exclusive sequels to some of their classic franchises. 2D versions of Ninja Gaiden, Streets of Rage, Castlevania, Contra, Gradius etc. Similar to what Capcom did with Mega Man 9 and 10. They could even reuse sprites from those early games as the retro look is very much accepted with downloadable games. It instantly give their network an identity.

Completely agree but 3DS hasn't given me much confidence in their online plans at all. They could do so much in that space though.

Not directly Wii U related, but several middleware providers have started adding support for an unannounced new platform over the last few days, so either Xbox3 or PS4. That usually happens around 10 to 18 months before a platform launches, so it really looks like Nintendo will have a significant head start.

Well, that depends on how you look at it.

BlackJace

Completely agree but 3DS hasn't given me much confidence in their online plans at all. They could do so much in that space though.

What do they need to do? The Friend List is functional, the 3DS eShop is on the rise, AND it's getting a standalone website. The damn thing has APPS, some very useful. The NiN has given me no problems so far (been playing KI:U online and have experienced almost zero lag).

If these things aren't enough to convince you that the Wii U's online will be bigger and better, then I don't know what will haha.

z0m3le

Banned
I said nothing about off the shelf. Stop putting words into my mouth. They're going to use GCN. That's a certainty at this point.

And Alstrong just explained the mobile part issue. You just chose to plug your ears and go, "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" Acting like that makes having a conversation with you a waste of time for both of us.

GameCube had a 25W TDP.

GCN is not a certainty, heck no rumors are certainties, its all speculation. Even if Sony gives you a fact, you have to watch it, unless you believe PS4 will do 4D

I haven't said Wii U will use a mobile part, I said it would use an embedded one, which happens to usually be based off mobile parts which are based on desktop parts.

This is exactly why I am posting less and less in this thread as E3 gets closer, this argument about speculation is far to personal to you, and I don't understand that as it is my speculation, I've tried replying to points you bring up, but you don't respond to them and instead keep giving me the same response about mobile parts that neither of us are talking about.

I though the Upad "does not perform game processeses" in any way, acting more like a "thin client", just "decoding" the received video/audio stream.

What is this talking about?

What's the meaning of "the process of generating the terminal game image may be performed by the terminal device" ?

Talking about the 3DS maybe OR even written before Upad design finalized?

Anyone? I'm I reading it all wrong?

tkscz

GCN is not a certainty, heck no rumors are certainties, its all speculation. Even if Sony gives you a fact, you have to watch it, unless you believe PS4 will do 4D

I haven't said Wii U will use a mobile part, I said it would use an embedded one, which happens to usually be based off mobile parts which are based on desktop parts.

This is exactly why I am posting less and less in this thread as E3 gets closer, this argument about speculation is far to personal to you, and I don't understand that as it is my speculation, I've tried replying to points you bring up, but you don't respond to them and instead keep giving me the same response about mobile parts that neither of us are talking about.

thisisneogafdude.gif

Portugeezer

Basically Wii U's GPU can be 640sp @ 800mhz if sony and microsoft can manage twice that, especially if they end up using GCN, which is a very bulky design thanks to it's GPGPU abilities... Uhh well I tried.

If xbox3 can produce 1080p game, Wii U will have the power to produce that same game, with the about the same details/effects at 720p.

Ok, gotcha (though I still don't know what dp or GCN (I keep reading Gamecube) means).

TBH I don't expect 1080p to be the standard for 720/PS4, a lot of the games will probably be like 900p. But it would be good if what you say is true, at least for the Wii U not missing out on multiplat titles if 720/PS4 are more powerful.

AlStrong

Don't know much about console hardware do you?

What do you mean? 360 has a couple PCI-E express lanes to connect to the southbridge(audio, I/O), so there's even less power consumption than typical (less die space and power feeding 16 lanes or more complex/higher bandwidth ones). Don't know if they need much more bandwidth for other things. Depends on what they plan to do. i.e. more bandwidth for I/O like...Kinect 2?

edit: Considering the PCI-E lanes aren't saturated often, when the IHVs switch out for fewer lanes or older PCI-E in a laptop, it's more about cutting corners so they can fit within a laptop TDP despite the overly complicated heat pipe/heatsink system.

z0m3le

Banned
Ok, gotcha. Though TBH I don't expect 1080p to be the standard for 720/PS4, a lot of the games will probably be like 900p.

I think it all depends on how well Wii U does, if it positions itself as the 360 of this gen, then ps4 / Xbox3 will get uprez'd ports for the most part. We will have to see. A large portion of how Wii U does comes down to its user base buying the games on it. Even PS2 positioning is possible.

Portugeezer

I think it all depends on how well Wii U does, if it positions itself as the 360 of this gen, then ps4 / Xbox3 will get uprez'd ports for the most part. We will have to see. A large portion of how Wii U does comes down to its user base buying the games on it. Even PS2 positioning is possible.

You could be right. How much more powerful were the GCN/Xbox in comparison to PS2? Both seem like a lot from the specs.

z0m3le

Banned
You could be right. How much more powerful were the GCN/Xbox in comparison to PS2? Both seem like a lot from the specs.

What specs you can compare between the ps2 and Xbox, left the ps2 less than half as powerful.

Though the biggest difference was that ps2 was out dated, its gpu lacked the modern features of the Xbox's gpu, that is why Xbox games looked so much better with multiports

Smellycat

Do you guys think the industry can survive another generation like this one? We have seen so many companies/developers struggling and closing. Even big companies like Konami, Sega, and Capcom (somewhat) have been licking their wounds this gen.

Can we afford another generation with expensive tech, and high development costs?

I think Nintendo is playing it smart and not going all out with the hardware.

What do you guys think? Will a big publisher/one of the big 3 go under the bus next gen, if things stay the same?

edit: posting again for new page

Anyone? I'm I reading it all wrong?
Thing you have to realize is that a patent doesn't necessarily describe a real product. When writing a patent, a company is going to try and make it cover as many possible variations as possible, so that they are covered if a competitor decides to take their idea and just make a small change. So that part of the patent is trying to cover both thin-client devices and smarter devices that function as self-contained portable game systems.

Portugeezer

Do you guys think the industry can survive another generation like this one? We have seen so many companies/developers struggling and closing. Even big companies like Konami, Sega, and Capcom (somewhat) have been licking their wounds this gen.

Can we afford another generation with expensive tech, and high development costs?

I think Nintendo is playing it smart and not going all out with the hardware.

What do you guys think? Will a big publisher/one of the big 3 go under the bus next gen, if things stay the same?

I never actually understood why this gen was considered expensive to produce games.

I know PS3 was a pain in the ass to develop for, but could that alone mess it up so much?

Does every game need massive development teams? Some games destined to struggle for 1 million sales have huge development teams.

What specs you can compare between the ps2 and Xbox, left the ps2 less than half as powerful.

Though the biggest difference was that ps2 was out dated, its gpu lacked the modern features of the Xbox's gpu, that is why Xbox games looked so much better with multiports
Can Wii U do tessellation? No doubt 720/PS4 will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom