• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata New Famitsu Information: Skirt Can Be Removed!?

Klossen

Banned
I talked with Akihiko Yoshida about the design, asking him to “create something that people would enjoy cosplaying.” In retrospect, I think he really enjoys creating characters that show off a bit of thigh.
yes yes
Yoshida is a thigh man.

latest

pixxxelz

—This is the same world as the original NieR? Just the time period is different?

Yoko: Yes, that’s right. Same world, different time.
I still don't understand how this is possible after Nier ending.

Golnei

I still don't understand how this is possible after Nier ending.

If it takes place around the same time as the Yorha play, that'd situate it several thousand years afterwards.

Humanity has long since been made 'whole' again after fleeing to the moon, and the aliens' living machines and human androids have been the only sentient occupants of the world for a considerable portion of that time.

Kinyou

Yoko: Platinum Games makes some of the best games, please try not to expect too much from my settings and stories. Boys who expect to much will soon wither, no? So…..don’t do it.

I really like how humble he is. <3
It would be the first time to have a story heavy Platinum game, right? At least I hope they don't cut down on it.

Ugh.
Saito: "Stop it, it's only white leotard under the skirt."
The ol' Sailor Moon excuse.
Saito: I talked with Akihiko Yoshida about the design, asking him to &#8220;create something that people would enjoy cosplaying.&#8221; In retrospect, I think he really enjoys creating characters that show off a bit of thigh.
Fuckin' Yoshida.

Lime

she can do whatever she wants.

I'm sure this virtual/fictional character doesn't possess free will, but instead is something determined and designed by a bunch of guys. In this regard, the ones in charge presumably wanted to make the visual damage indicator of her character show off her crotch and ass to the player.

And I wonder why would they want that?

I'm sure this virtual/fictional character doesn't possess free will, but instead is something determined and designed by a bunch of guys. In this regard, the ones in charge presumably wanted to make the visual damage indicator of her character show off her crotch and ass to the player.

And I wonder why would they want that?

Boring.

I really liked the answer Saito gave in that German gaffer's question in his interview when he was asked how he convinced Square to let him make a game with a director whose games do not sell with a developer whose games don't sell. That he just used his success with the Dragon Quest franchise to let him do passion projects.
So probably Square doesn't have a lot of faith in the game either way but they let Saito dick around for a while as thanks.

I wish more publishers did this.

Haganeren

Pffff, that feature with the skirt which can be destroyed is so disappointing.

Won't prevent me to get a game which will likely to have awesome story, awesome gameplay and awesome OST but it's still annoying to see.

Razmos

I must admit it's super refreshing to see someone just say "I created her this way because I'm a thigh man and her costume looks hot"

Rather than "It's the traditional battle attire of the Yorha androids, her skirt is for ease of movement and the chest window is a way of letting off steam"

there used to be an arcade game where you play as a female warrior fully armored and when you got hit pieces of her armor would fall off until she was nude, lol. Forgot what the name of that game was called.

Gbraga

RCSI

I must admit it's super refreshing to see someone just say "I created her this way because I'm a thigh man and her costume looks hot"

Rather than "It's the traditional battle attire of the Yorha androids, her skirt is for ease of movement and the chest window is a way of letting off steam"

I'm glad they did not skirt around the reason for this visual aspect of the character.

Pun intended.

Wagram

Q: Why did you guys make her a female?

Yoko: “Because I like girls.”

“Akihiko Yoshida asked for ‘a costume that’d be easy to cosplay’.”

I love that he gives no fucks and answers bluntly. I really wish we had more people like this man in the industry. Create what you want, it doesn't need to appeal to everyone.

SystemBug

Q: Why did you guys make her a female?

Yoko: “Because I like girls.”

“Akihiko Yoshida asked for ‘a costume that’d be easy to cosplay’.”

I love that he gives no fucks and answers bluntly. I really wish we had more people like this man in the industry. Create what you want, it doesn't need to appeal to everyone.
Oh please, you know exactly what it appeals to

Whoah you are barking up a weird tree. Dude, just say you like his answer and leave it at that. Go to far and you get into GG territory and thats not fine,
What the fuck? So you're the post police now? Are you going around judging people?

Please don't do this.

Village

What the fuck? So you're the post police now? Are you going around judging people?

Please don't do this.

People have been creating what they want that doesn't appeal to everyone for the longest time. People have been putting sexy stuff in games for the longest with little to no explination, platinum is working on this game. That has been video games, every time some one brings that up, its always in relation some under represented group in gaming possibly complaining. The very statement dude is making , the fact that he can make that statement means, means for the longest folks have been making the games they wanna make, why even mention it? Shit reads as purposefully antagonistic. Maybe I went too far with the GG thing, but it reads as that same like of " fighting the good fight against SJW" bullshit.

Phu

Banned
People have been creating what they want that doesn't appeal to everyone for the longest time. People have been putting sexy stuff in games for the longest with little to no explination, platinum is working on this game. That has been video games, every time some one brings that up, its always in relation some under represented group in gaming possibly complaining. The very statement dude is making , the fact that he can make that statement means, means for the longest folks have been making the games they wanna make, why even mention it? Shit reads as purposefully antagonistic. Maybe I went too far with the GG thing, but it reads as that same like of " fighting the good fight against SJW" bullshit.

Not many people would be willing to be so blunt in a PR situation.

I think he mentions it because fan service (specifically geared towards males) is being constantly criticized and opposed. It's a difficult time to be discussing video games atm, it's either you 100% agree with politically correct people or you're placed in the same ranks as a misogynistic ass wipe. Which in my opinion isn't fair.

Wagram

I think he mentions it because fan service (specifically geared towards males) is being constantly criticized and opposed. It's a difficult time to be discussing video games atm, it's either you 100% agree with politically correct people or you're placed in the same ranks as a misogynistic ass wipe. Which in my opinion isn't fair.

Pretty much this. I didn't expect people to read into what I said in that regard.

I would also support the opposite if it were geared towards females as well (with whatever that may be). I want devs to create their vision as it is what makes series like Drakengard/Nier so special.

Hedge

I'm not really into the whole fan-service thing, so I'm a bit sad. But I hope it sells well, so we can get another Nier game. I always regretted never being able to play the original. :(

Wagram

I'm not really into the whole fan-service thing, so I'm a bit sad. But I hope it sells well, so we can get another Nier game. I always regretted never being able to play the original. :(

You can still pick up some copies online for about $30. Probably even less if you purchase a used copy on ebay.

Top Bottom