• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata New Famitsu Information: Skirt Can Be Removed!?

I don't think there's cognitive dissonance in accepting this as both indefensible pandering cheesecake and playful shenanigans. This is a guy who does interviews in a mask and pretends to pick and eat boogers from it.

Hektor

I'm not really into the whole fan-service thing, so I'm a bit sad. But I hope it sells well, so we can get another Nier game. I always regretted never being able to play the original. :(

Then i urge you to play the origina, for one thing because its my and many other peoples GOAT for good reason, and so you learnt that "Fan-Service" in a Yoko Taro game doesnt nessecarily mean what you think it means.

That sounds like a gross exaggeration.

It was literally you who proved that its not, lol.

Wait, seriously?

I'm now more intrigued.

Well, shes actually an android and not a robot. That my sound like arguing semantics, but its going to a very important distinction in this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
At this point I couldn't really care less about the story and combat system, or even anything like how many weapons or outfits it has. I'm not worried about either. It's Platinum, so the combat is guaranteed to be satisfying. Story will be as it is; my gut says it'll be very much it's own thing and not live up to Nier for many fans, but it'll still be a Yoko story through and through and that's the main thing. Otherwise I don't really want to know much about the narrative or characters; I'd rather digest it with a clean slate and no expectations.

What I do want to hear about, to adjust my expectations, is the overall game structure and pacing. Nier was very similar to Zelda, and even though Yoko has claimed he's gotten something similar out of this I'm still expecting it to lean more on Platinum's game design over Zelda-with-Platinum-combat. So I'd like to see/know exactly how much adventuring and questing we'll do versus scripted encounters, and then I'm set until release.

Well, shes actually an android and not a robot. That my sound like arguing semantics, but its going to a very important distinction in this game.

you're going to argue semantics and then miss that she should be called a gynoid?

6MSKnzz.jpg

PillarEN

By the way, in the interview Saito has a sick Yoko shirt. I'd like one like that. One of those less loud gamer shirts.

Golnei

What I do want to hear about, to adjust my expectations, is the overall game structure and pacing. Nier was very similar to Zelda, and even though Yoko has claimed he's gotten something similar out of this I'm still expecting it to lean more on Platinum's game design over Zelda-with-Platinum-combat. So I'd like to see/know exactly how much adventuring and questing we'll do versus scripted encounters, and then I'm set until release.

That's going to be critical as well. We already know they're going for the Zelda-like structure again to some degree; and that some genre homages have been confirmed already, but the larger game design is still unknown. I'm interested to see how sidequests are handled as well, since the world seems to be mostly desolate - going by the Yorha play; you might receive optional objectives from your commanders on the moon, as well as picking up sidequests in person from any remaining rebel androids on the surface. Though hopefully they're a little less grindy this time - and the reward of more conversations with Pod doesn't seem like quite as appealing a reward as more dialogue with Weiss...

you're going to argue semantics and then miss that she should be called a gynoid?

Considering her sex (or lack thereof) isn't confirmed, you could use either at this point.

Newsflash: no. Some of us are gay and if we're going down the creepy route I'd rather have a hot android dude that is a Henry Cavill look alike. So panty flashing only makes me roll my eyes.

Okay, that's what you want. You're not making the game, and the game isn't intended to cater to your tastes specifically.

Newsflash: no. Some of us are gay and if we're going down the creepy route I'd rather have a hot android dude that is a Henry Cavill look alike. So panty flashing only makes me roll my eyes.

I'm pretty sure you're taking the post you're replying to just a liiiiittle too seriously.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Okay, that's what you want. You're not making the game, and the game isn't intended to cater to your tastes specifically.

You completely missed the point of my reply. In any case, I can still enjoy the game even though something specific about it isn't geared towards me. There's more to a game than whoring out the main character.

Mar Nosso

Banned
I'm pretty sure you're taking the post you're replying to just a liiiiittle too seriously.

I did, but I wanted to make a stand amid all the giggling hormone induced creepiness about a android girl look alike. Does she look like 18 or 12? I don't even care! I won't look at her that way. I'm more interested in her combat moves that look like crazy dance moves!

I did, but I wanted to make a stand amid all the giggling hormone induced creepiness about a android girl look alike. Does she look like 18 or 12? I don't even care! I won't look at her that way. I'm more interested in her combat moves that look like crazy dance moves!
Making a stand? I don't mean to be an asshole but I think you're taking yourself and this entire discussion a little too seriously, as well. Saying this stuff doesn't appeal to you doesn't really do anything to the people you're talking about, outside of letting them know that other people like different things, which I'm 100% sure there they're already aware of.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Making a stand? I don't mean to be an asshole but I think you're taking yourself and this entire discussion a little too seriously, as well. Saying this stuff doesn't appeal to you doesn't really do anything to the people you're talking about, outside of letting them know that other people like different things, which I'm 100% sure there they're already aware of.

You weren't. I can take criticism. But the obvious pandering through oversexualisation of young females that walks the fine line between too young/just barely legal pisses me off. And in gaming it's too frequent. Japan loves it I know and Yoko Taro might be great at making interesting games, but it doesn't excuse me him from also going down that route. I'm not writing the game off on just an interview and a small detail, but it raises red flags. Anyway, the story/plot is sure to also touch upon those issues so we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't, he's clueless.

PillarEN

Pants no pants, lust no lust, creep no creep, 1000 year old demon or 12 year old lolita.

On an actual serious note I'm going to remain on story blackouts (though I'll watch trailers as I'm the person who doesn't remember the details of trailers by the time I play the game/watch the film) but I'd love to know more about the music. The last trailer was about the female choir doing that traditional screech-like noise. I'm very curious what kind of sounds the game will lean on. Nier 1 was all about female vocals (and small male child) for the most part. And the one main theme that was used in many of the pieces. Even if the game fails I'm still excited for the music that will accompany it maybe more so.

Roubjon

You know what would be fucking crazy? If the girl didn't have a breakable skirt and if there weren't panty shots in the game. What a day that would be. Shit's disappointing.

An interview full of details and this is what you choose to pull out and magnify? I'm suprised you didn't make a thread out of that "Yu Suzuki can't promise 60 fps but can promise sexy girls" article.

You know what would be fucking crazy? If the girl didn't have a breakable skirt and if there weren't panty shots in the game. What a day that would be. Shit's disappointing.

and disappoint the animu girl fanbase? That's a big part of the potential sales right there.

this was originally pitched as a Vita game, remember

Phu

Banned
You weren't. I can take criticism. But the obvious pandering through oversexualisation of young females that walks the fine line between too young/just barely legal pisses me off. And in gaming it's too frequent. Japan loves it I know and Yoko Taro might be great at making interesting games, but it doesn't excuse me him from also going down that route. I'm not writing the game off on just an interview and a small detail, but it raises red flags. Anyway, the story/plot is sure to also touch upon those issues so we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't, he's clueless.

I honestly don't think 2B looks like she's walking the fine line between too young/barely legal.

I haven't read all the interviews so maybe there's something that hints at that being a thing but I legit think she looks like an adult [or at least an human adult-styled android].

Japanese sales would flop.

Hell they will probably flop anyway. I don't think NIER did especially well over there.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I remember when I used to respect Akihiko yoshida as an artist, his art broke away from typical Japanese designs and was really unique, but nowadays he's just working on generic pandering smut. It's a shame :/

Golnei

No, it wasnt.

Though there was that port of the first game to the Vita that was pitched and cancelled...

Regardless, it doesn't have any bearing on Automata.

He keeps saying they'll be a happy ending, what kind of fucked up shit is he planning?

It might not be an actual lie, as such - with Nier, his wording was that "the ending itself is happy, but I make no guarantees on what comes after.". So everyone will probably be doomed to live miserable and short lives which either achieve nothing or make the world significantly worse; but they'll also have some small moment of resolution in the end.

I remember when I used to respect Akihiko yoshida as an artist, his art broke away from typical Japanese designs and was really unique, but nowadays he's just working on generic pandering smut. It's a shame :/

This really isn't that out of the ordinary for him. 2B's outfit is much less revealing than most of the ones in his earlier works like his Tactics Ogre contributions (and even the FFXII cast); with Vagrant Story being full of bikini armour.

If somebody can get Matsuno to actually make video games again instead of play FF14 then maybe, just maybe, we shall see Yoshida do more of that kind of art again. Still, I'd hold off on saying the art is generic pandering smut until we see some other characters first.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
If somebody can get Matsuno to actually make video games again instead of play FF14 then maybe, just maybe, we shall see Yoshida do more of that kind of art again. Still, I'd hold off on saying the art is generic pandering smut until we see some other characters first.
Well his work on bravely default was questionable as well. That concept art of Agnes in a swimsuit looked like a toddler in a swimsuit, it was kinda creepy. It's just hard to believe it's the same guy who did all the FFXII artwork.

Bringing up the apparent age of a android in regards to sexual things seems like the dumbest fucking kind of argument in the world.

Make an android that looks like a hot middle-age woman. Now what do you say when I say that android was made 3 months ago in story? Oh shit now everybody looks silly.

Gbraga

The dlc is almost certain going to have Kaine. Nier may have a chance but not sure which it will be.

I wouldn't mind that, but I'm not a fan of wasting every DLC with fanservice callbacks, I'd rather have more interesting outfits designed for Yorha 2B specifically, rather than someone else's costume.

and the reward of more conversations with Pod doesn't seem like quite as appealing a reward as more dialogue with Weiss...

Yeah... That's a bit disappointing. I get not wanting to just make Weiss 2.0, it would indeed feel cheap, but I'm not sold on Pod yet.

I guess I'll have to wait and see in the full game, not watching the next trailer they have for Spring.

this was originally pitched as a Vita game, remember

No it wasn't. They were considering porting NieR to the Vita, but didn't work out. That was before this game was a thing.

His art is incredible, I love his FFXIV designs. I don't think Automata's art so far is so different from his usual stuff.

He's never been known to shy away from thighs. It's been his trademark for decades.

So damn good. Hopefully he'll be back for FFXVI.

Thinking on it, it would be kinda weird for the game to be called "Nier" without the man himself (in either form) to make any kind of appearance.

Well his work on bravely default was questionable as well. That concept art of Agnes in a swimsuit looked like a toddler in a swimsuit, it was kinda creepy. It's just hard to believe it's the same guy who did all the FFXII artwork.

Aside from Agnes's chibi design, the designs in BD were fine. Easily my least favourite of his works though.

PillarEN

I mean I think this main character (though maybe not the only one according to the interview?) looks really good and has me interested in those other designs. Emil, Kaine were very distinguished from other games of that generation (though by another designer).
2B is like a mix between Drakengard 3 MC and Kaine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im pro thigh.

Top Bottom