• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata New Famitsu Information: Skirt Can Be Removed!?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
An interview full of details and this is what you choose to pull out and magnify? I'm suprised you didn't make a thread out of that "Yu Suzuki can't promise 60 fps but can promise sexy girls" article.

miku is a click-bait poster who I predict will have his/her posting privileges revoked in the near future.

We need more of this japanese things in our games and less western gore. The fact that violence is accepted in videogames but sex is "disgusting" is ridiculous.

Gbraga

Thinking on it, it would be kinda weird for the game to be called "Nier" without the man himself (in either form) to make any kind of appearance.

Well, technically, you could name the character yourself, so depending on what you chose, you might have already played a NieR game without a character called Nier :p

And at least his signature weapon is back, we'll see.

Golnei

And at least his signature weapon is back, we'll see.

I'm interested in seeing if they'll follow up his reincarnation from Ending E at all - even if this game occurs thousands of years later, it can still figure into the plot somehow.

We need more of this japanese things in our games and less western gore. The fact that violence is accepted in videogames but sex is "disgusting" is ridiculous.

This is precisely why a philosophy of erotic violence would be the perfect balance between the Japanese and American markets, eliminating the need for regional variants - look at how well Drakengard 3 did. No longer will the natural opposites of tits and gore come into conflict; their harmonious union will usher in a new age of peace.

Yoko: I also thought of Kyosuke Himuro, but I decided to keep ahold of this idea.

How did people miss this in that interview lol

For those of you who don't know he is a big JPop artist lol

(this was in reference to why they named it Automata and what else he wanted to name it)

Saito: Yoko had the idea of creating the three-word teaser for E3: NINGYOU, HITO, KIKAI (doll/android, human, robot). Please enjoy speculating what this could mean in the context of the game!

Also could our 3 playable characters each be one? We already know 2B is android and could the boy actually be a boy or young man and then have a robot as the final one?

This is precisely why a philosophy of erotic violence would be the perfect balance between the Japanese and American markets, eliminating the need for regional variants - look at how well Drakengard 3 did. No longer will the natural opposites of tits and gore come into conflict; their harmonious union will usher in a new age of peace.

Well, i like the idea. That's one of the reason i like Game of Thrones. It adds "realism". In other words, it shows things you don't see so much in media, but they're part of reality.

Mailbox

Despite the outrage, I actually really like her design. In and of itself, it's not overly sexualized and it just looks good.

As for the destructible skirt, I'm actually surprised they chose to go with a leotard underneath. You can tell the designer really is just pandering to himself (thigh man :3) and not a lower demonination demographic (otherwise we'd be seeing something like white frilled panties or something)
I wonder how the damage will be represented over time though. Does the skirt "grow back"? is it a deteriorating equitable? I need to know

I do hope we do see some extra damage indicators though. Like sparks or flesh ripping.

But that adds the question: will sparks shoot out of her ass?

And how would people react?
Hmmmm

If only Drake would lose his pants when he got fully damaged.

Then we would finally have true equality!

Plus the sales with women through the roof IMO. I wonder what colour underwear Nate wears. I bet he wears matching colours with Sully.

Plus the sales with women through the roof IMO. I wonder what colour underwear Nate wears. I bet he wears matching colours with Sully.

True answer: he wears nothing.

cerulily

I would argue that sex is all over our video games. I mean, it's not like Bioware games, the witcher, localized releases like criminal girls or senran kagura don't exist for some reason.

We don't really need more "women whose clothes come off" It's not really necessary.

It's a very very very low threshold for what constitutes "Sex".

TL;DR, the west has fuck-tonnes of sex in it's games, removable clothes is iffy.

We need more games wear the men's clothes come off, even when the narrative is supercilious cereal serious. You can't get the feeling of urgency without some man thigh in front of the camera, come on.

Nothing gets me more excited and engaged in a game except when I can see those massive pecs and hamstrings in all their glory in the cutscenes.

Everyone got so excited seeing Master Chief's face, but that was just a distraction, who cares what his face looks like.

I want to see how toned his butt is. I hope it's shaved and hard like a rock.

I would argue that sex is all over our video games. I mean, it's not like Bioware games, the witcher, localized releases like criminal girls or senran kagura don't exist for some reason.

We don't really need more "women whose clothes come off" It's not really necessary.

It's a very very very low threshold for what constitutes "Sex".

TL;DR, the west has fuck-tonnes of sex in it's games, removable clothes is iffy.

Agreed. Most of eastern fan service isn't sex at all. It's perversion for perversion's sake. It's bizarre sexualization that's as reductive to the subject as it is sex itself.

People look down on this stuff for the same reason they look down on western women in bikinis posing with muscle cars and guns: it's incredibly stupid, even in the privacy of your garage.

You can make somebody sexy or sexual without being insulting to them. Hot babes spread out on sports cars, or creepily removing the clothes of video game characters for the sake of it, is insulting. Not only to the characters, but to me as a player.

Surely you can put more effort into coaxing out my erections.

PillarEN

He goes commando and probably shaves down there too.

Snakebee

Neo Member
He's never been known to shy away from thighs. It's been his trademark for decades.

Nice, I feel she ranks very high on the absolute territory scale.

88630bd5b7814df54d29d9d1ebe06084.300x416x1.jpg

Being a creep on a creep thread. :)

—Is there any reason that you decided upon a female-type android?

Yoko: It’s because I like girls. I like them much more than the typical powerful and macho types.

I highly approve of this answer.

Agreed. Most of eastern fan service isn't sex at all. It's perversion for perversion's sake. It's bizarre sexualizafion that's as reductive to the subject as it is sex itself.

People look down on this stuff for the same reason they look down on western women in bikinis posing with muscle cars and guns: it's incredibly stupid, even in the privacy of your garage.

You can make somebody sexy or sexual without being insulting to them. Hot babes spread out on sports cars, or creepily removing the clothes of video game characters for the sake of it, is insulting. Not only the the characters, but to me as a player.

Surely you can put more effort into coaxing out my erections.

Ech, eastern high fantasy at least has some imagination in their designs. It's more comparable to fashion shows than generic western fantasy iron-bikinis.

Also I'm fucking disgusted that gamergate was brought up in a Nier thread.

Ech, eastern high fantasy at least has some imagination in their designs. It's more comparable to fashion shows than generic western fantasy iron-bikinis.

Also I'm fucking disgusted that gamergate was brought up in a Nier thread.

I agree with that too. But it's not always true, either. Dead or Alive, for example, makes no effort to be imaginative. And leaves little to the imagination, at that.

I spend as much time wishing Disney princesses would kiss as the next fan, don't get me wrong. But I hate when media, which includes these kinds of exploitative games, doesn't even let me get to know a character before they ask me to consider fucking them.

Let me meet you half way, is what I'm saying.

Hektor

Im still surprised that we actually even have this argument considering how sex and fanservice have been treated in yokos other games, its like no one played them.

What if they gave her granny panties to discourage players from taking damage?

I think a lot of people will suddenly be better at character action games :p

Dead or Alive, for example, makes no effort to be imaginative. And leaves little to the imagination, at that.
But I hate when media, which includes these kinds of exploitative games, doesn't even let me get to know a character before they ask me to consider fucking them.

Dead or Alive is not high fantasy. When I talk high fantasy I think Yoshida, Amano and Fujisaka, not bikini pack #27 in DoA.

Also I don't think Yoko Taro is asking you to think about fucking B2. First off, don't fist android girls. Second - if anyone's games these days have strong characterization they're Taro's. I'll let him have his skirt destruction quip he said in one interview. And which is totally overblown since Miku decided to point it out in the thread title like it's anything important.

Im still surprised that we actually even have this argument considering how sex and fanservice have been treated in yokos other games, its like no one played them.

Ain't that the truth.

Mailbox

I think the surprise isn't because of yoko, but because platinum is the one handling this specific case. unlike kaine's outfit or the overtness of sex in drakengard 3, just having a skirt rip and fall apart doesn't seem to have any significance.

But this is yoko taro, so I expect something. Something. Something really.... Fucked up. That destructible garment has feelings and is eternally healing itself. As you continue to take damage, it hurts more and more. You hear a faint sound as you play the game. On the second play though, you come to understand what those sounds mean, and you understand the pain you cause it by your inability to get good.

Golnei

I hope her skin can peel off too I would appreciate that. I would LOVE it.

Given what happened to
Accord
, 2B might strip off her skin at some point. It might not make it in as a game mechanic, but it'd be plausible as part of the plot - what's the point of having your game star cyborgs or androids if you can't show their beautiful complex bodies being broken apart at least once?

I'm gonna assume that when they say main characters they mean characters that are accompanying you during the plot, not that we can control/switch between multiple characters.

If the skirt is destructible, do we have any information on how it regenerates? I'm curious to see if it's tied in to either gameplay or narrative reasons.

Johndoey

Banned
Does the emotionless android dress itself or does it have clothes chosen for it?

Are they special durable android clothes or just normal stuff?

Can you program a sense of style, what if the android really liked flannel would everyone be cool with that? Come to think of it I can't recall any androids dressed in sensible clothing.

Mailbox

Does the emotionless android dress itself or does it have clothes chosen for it?

Are they special durable android clothes or just normal stuff?

Can you program a sense of style, what if the android really liked flannel would everyone be cool with that?

Oh god, what if one of the genres this game mashes up is fashion/ dress up simulator?

And knowing nier, it won't be a standard addition

I'm gonna assume that when they say main characters they mean characters that are accompanying you during the plot, not that we can control/switch between multiple characters.

From the way they word it in the interview, I'm getting the impression that there are 2 MCs in the "game" sense and 3 MCs in the narrative sense.

So maybe 2 characters you play as, but 3 characters central to the main plot? IDK

Hedge

We need more games wear the men's clothes come off, even when the narrative is supercilious cereal serious. You can't get the feeling of urgency without some man thigh in front of the camera, come on.

Nothing gets me more excited and engaged in a game except when I can see those massive pecs and hamstrings in all their glory in the cutscenes.

Everyone got so excited seeing Master Chief's face, but that was just a distraction, who cares what his face looks like.

I want to see how toned his butt is. I hope it's shaved and hard like a rock.

Just for the experience, I'd actually be really curious to see how it would feel to play a game like this.
Where most male characters are treated like trophies to reward the viewer with in an extremely confrontational way, through camera angles and ripped clothing.

Mailbox

From the way they word it in the interview, I'm getting the impression that there are 2 MCs in the "game" sense and 3 MCs in the narrative sense.

So maybe 2 characters you play as, but 3 characters central to the main plot? IDK

My guess is this:
You play as "2" or whatever in the start of the game, you play as 2b for the rest. Upon the first new game+, you play as a second main character.

Golnei

Just for the experience, I'd actually be really curious to see how it would feel to play a game like this.
Where most male characters are treated like trophies to reward the viewer with in an extremely confrontational way, through camera angles and ripped clothing.

El Shaddai wasn't exactly operating at Senran Kagura levels, but it did do something similar in regards to how its male characters were treated, prominent clothing damage included.

Oh god, what if one of the genres this game mashes up is fashion/ dress up simulator?

Yoko Taro's take on Style Savvy would be glorious. Maybe it could be incorporated into the final boss sequence.

12BoM

Guys.

If there was a good reason behind why Kaine's outfit was overtly sexualized, then maybe there is another good reason behind 2B's design?

Besides, 2B's design looks awesome to me. Nothing over the top about it

Jarmel

Banned

Batman did this in that his costume got turn up as the night went on. I actually wouldn't mind this as it would be a cool way to show the damage on the character as the game progresses.

Johndoey

Banned

I would love if this game let me dress up this creepy android girl to my hearts content, and possibly host a fashion show.

Johndoey

Banned

Muscle March and Rinse and Repeat are here for you.

Hedge

El Shaddai wasn't exactly operating at Senran Kagura levels, but it did do something similar in regards to how its male characters were treated, prominent clothing damage included.

Muscle March and Rinse and Repeat are here for you.

Huh, cool thanks. I'll look into it.

Toss in "Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015" too.

Ok now I'm leaving this thread for good.

Well.. maybe that is a bit much to just sate a curiousity. :p

Mailbox

I mean, drakengard 3 basically did this in its own fucked up way.

I would love if this game let me dress up this creepy android girl to my hearts content, and possibly host a fashion show.

It's gonna be like the wedding scene in the first game. All nice, flashy fashion show, until tragedy strikes, but it's not a one sided tragedy. Your fashion choices are used to exemplify this in some way.

I like how they had to mention that the ending will be happy.

On that note, they better pull it off well. Nier was a sad game and the sad ending was appropriate.

Batman did this in that his costume got turn up as the night went on. I actually wouldn't mind this as it would be a cool way to show the damage on the character as the game progresses.

I don't want to see Michael Keaton without pants.

But I'd peek at his underwear for a second.

Klossen

Banned
That was a pretty good game. Shame nobody bought it.

Guys.

If there was a good reason behind why Kaine's outfit was overtly sexualized, then maybe there is another good reason behind 2B's design?

Besides, 2B's design looks awesome to me. Nothing over the top about it

Well, they do have one of the best character designers in the business. I'm confident this game will be filled with memorable and unique character designs.

Moonkid

As long as they make it optional I'm okay with whatever fan-service they include. Showing damage in general would be distracting for me to be honest, especially if they went the whole Terminator route.

Top Bottom