• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

Loudninja

I just saw a new TV spot I haven't seen before whilst watching Sky Sports and its full of kids aged between fifteen and twenty by the looks of it. I'm not sure how aware they are of hardcore online racing with rulesets borrowed from hardcore PC sims?
That what the matchmaking system is for.

What is your point exactly?

The game is the game, that doesn't mean people of all ages can't enjoy a sim racer or that racing fans are all crusty old men with cockpit setups. I have friends that have been playing sim racers on PC from those ages, similar to how I know 60+ year olds that have entire PC racing game setups.

Just that you were saying its a niche game for a niche audience, the ad doesn't represent that at all. It looks just like a normal GT game and the voiceover wouldn't tell you any different either.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I would do the exact same if I was in their shoes but I think the mixed messaging not only from the marketing but also interviews and such like have hurt these reviews and the overall reception. I think its because expectations weren't met that we are seeing this kind of furore. If they had just owned their vision and goal at every turn we wouldn't be seeing the reaction we are just now.

As someone who works in marketing having a pivot like this for a renowned franchise is not a brief I would want to get myself. Fuck knows how I would to it, lol.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fuck it, I really wanted to like GT Sport but the lack of a career mode killed any interest once I realised how bare bones it is. It looks incredible but that's not good enough.

I'm downloading Forza 7 as I type because I'm desperate for a racing game.

Shit i might do the same i am THIS close of clicking buy.
Gt sport just isnt the game i wanted it to be.

Eek. Keep expectations in check guys. I had the exact same frustrations about F7 that led me to buying GTS...

I mean if you aren’t thrilled by the gold medal chasing through various circuit challenges in GTS, then F7 isn’t going to provide much change. Even more frustrating given each section of the career is a predictable set of 5-ish races strung together with the same car class(instead of moving through a string of single event challenges).

It does offer 700 cars and more environments though, but it’s s real sluggish boor of a campaign. Don’t presume the grass is that greener sadly...

onanie

The ironic thing is, if you got into the multiplayer and seasonal/weekly events, you would probably play WAY more of this game than you would any single player GT. In theory. I look at my playtime in something like Destiny or Overwatch and it annihilates my playtime in any single player game before them, shooter or otherwise.

Indeed. I have already engaged with GTS for longer than I ever did with AC and PC, and it will soon surpass my DC playtime as well.

Comparable to destiny, it has offered me sublime gameplay, and the unpredictability and rejuvenating nature of racing against a large pool of often well behaved players. This is the real and unique content of this game on consoles.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just that you were saying its a niche game for a niche audience, the ad doesn't represent that at all. It looks just like a normal GT game and the voiceover wouldn't tell you any different either.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I would do the exact same if I was in their shoes but I think the mixed messaging not only from the marketing but also interviews and such like have hurt these reviews and the overall reception. I think its because expectations weren't met that we are seeing this kind of furore. If they had just owned their vision and goal at every turn we wouldn't be seeing the reaction we are just now.

As someone who works in marketing having a pivot like this for a renowned franchise is not a brief I would want to get myself. Fuck knows how I would to it, lol.

Yeah, you're totally right about that. They should have made it way more clear what this game was going to be about.
They tried with the 'Sport' subtitle, but a lot of people's expectations are clearly out of wack which is partly why it's reviewing rather poorly.

MaDKaT

Yeah, you're totally right about that. They should have made it way more clear what this game was going to be about.
They tried with the 'Sport' subtitle, but a lot of people's expectations are clearly out of wack which is partly why it's reviewing rather poorly.

Blows my mind folks think this subtitle would alter the expectations of a new Gran Turismo game.

plidex

I wasn't going to buy GTS so I bought Forza 7, big mistake. I'm surprised at how bad the handling is. The car selection is really amazing, but it just doesn't give me joy to drive them around.

I ended up buying GTS and I'm loving it. I do enjoy both types of racing games though. GT2 and iRacing made both my dreams a reality. GT2 by having hundreds of mundane street cars and iRacing by offering a lifelike racing experience.

Em3112

Neo Member
And I’ll say it again, you think GT Sport has gotten a lot of flak? Driveclub had LESS content at launch. The shitstorm that would have ensued if DC was called GT would be monumental! GT has the biggest number of trolls and haters.

Driveclub did not have less content than GTsport.

DC had 5 countries with 11 tracks each at launch. It had multiple tours and challenges that kept you busy for days.

DC messed up the whole online portion what was supposed to be their selling point.

Even if you make the case "getting it", how do you have a serious online racing game with out Spa and Le Sarthe or more to the point just a lack of real world tracks. In a few years time or GT Sport 3 it might be worthy of a good score.

As a GT fan of old and in the context of pre Sport I remember the excitement on gtplanet when Spa finally came to GT. It was a long decade awaited track that arrived via DLC in GT5. 4 years into PS4 and about 7 seven years since GT5 there's no sign of it.

Quality control is one thing but GT fans would like a meaty HD GT game within their lifetime. When PS5 rolls around are we going to be back to square one again, 80 cars a handful of interesting tracks.

When the PS2 era ended I would've thought PD would be up to speed with 500-600 cars, all the classic courses updated plus new tracks 10 years into the HD era but here we are with GT Sport. With the money made from GT, if you can't get the content ready in the HD era then you need to employ more or find people to outsource to, PD aren't the only ones who can model cars. They could've overseen a quality outsourced group if they started in 2006 or 2010 and be ready for PS4/PS5. I can see PS6 being Suzuka and one car, have to maintain the quality. It takes a team of 10 6 months to model a wiper arm don't you know, you can't rush it. Perhaps science will make us immortal and we can experience an updated GT.

Eek. Keep expectations in check guys. I had the exact same frustrations about F7 that led me to buying GTS...

I mean if you aren’t thrilled by the gold medal chasing through various circuit challenges in GTS, then F7 isn’t going to provide much change. Even more frustrating given each section of the career is a predictable set of 5-ish races strung together with the same car class(instead of moving through a string of single event challenges).

It does offer 700 cars and more environments though, but it’s s real sluggish boor of a campaign. Don’t presume the grass is that greener sadly...

Yeah my expectations are in check, I can't believe that they still haven't fixed the 2X VIP bonus.

Its a tough one cause they do seem to be going down a different route and direction for the franchise and that could potentially alienate a large portion of its huge fanbase. They would have to have handled every conference, event, interview, preview, whatever with kid gloves and planned their messaging meticulously over the last three years and I don't mean this as as bad thing but because of Kaz's lack of English I think a lot of stuff has been lost in translation and easy answers were given for hard questions.

Like I said, this was always going to be a tough sell, a poisoned chalice almost cause they were never going to be able to please everyone but I do think they could have done an awful lot better than they have. Just my two cents of course.

Blows my mind folks think this subtitle would alter the expectations of a new Gran Turismo game.

Yep. Only if they'd called it "Gran Turismo Online" could they have possibly used that excuse.

Maybe I'm bitter, but I'm glad this isn't reviewing too well. I love Gran Turismo for the epic single player mode. That IS Gran Turismo to me and (apparently) many others. It was this series' unique selling point that made me choose it over the competition. Without it, I see no reason to buy this game when I already have Driveclub.

onanie

Even if you make the case "getting it", how do you have a serious online racing game with out Spa and Le Sarthe or more to the point just a lack of real world tracks. In a few years time or GT Sport 3 it might be worthy of a good score.

People have had serious online races without Spa or Sarthe. You should examine some replays that people have posted

darkwing

By contrast, GT Sport does away with all the pointless peripheral clutter and perfectly captures the essence of what made the franchise so great back in its early-2000s heyday.

Such an online-focused product may not be to everybody’s taste, but Gran Turismo deserves credit for taking a step back, deciding exactly what it wishes to accomplish – and then totally nailing it.

a very positive review

Driveclub did not have less content than GTsport.

DC had 5 countries with 11 tracks each at launch. It had multiple tours and challenges that kept you busy for days.

DC messed up the whole online portion what was supposed to be their selling point.

True but DriveClub was nowhere near as satisfying to play at launch, needing a lot of tweaks. Not to say DC is bad, with all the fixes and DLC, it's a great game now but it took quite a while to get there.

At least GT Sport is excellent in the driving department right now, even with the things that are missing, so it's satisfying to play. I can wait for more content because there is plenty to play on PS4, dipping in and out of GT Sport and it's solid online racing.

onanie

Yep. Only if they'd called it "Gran Turismo Online" could they have possibly used that excuse.

Maybe I'm bitter, but I'm glad this isn't reviewing too well. I love Gran Turismo for the epic single player mode. That IS Gran Turismo to me and (apparently) many others. It was this series' unique selling point that made me choose it over the competition. Without it, I see no reason to buy this game when I already have Driveclub.

I don’t think it is reviewing badly for a bold new direction that is super focused on the atmosphere of racing. I feel the real content of this new focus is the players you play with.

Everyone wants more cars and tracks while I just wishes more tournaments/championships. :(

November can't come soon enough.
I'm a single player gamer. And I don't want GT to step away from the direction GT is going with Sport. The on-track experience/feel/atmosphere/sensation is simply the best I've played in a racing game. The thrill and the art of careful meticulous racing is something I'm willing use to forego the extra cars and tracks.

It's simply a game I can play everyday that puts a huge grin on my face.

I don't think it is reviewing badly for a bold new direction that is super focused on the atmosphere of racing. I feel the real content of this new focus is the players you play with.

75 is bad for a GT game. Not sure why anyone would want to pretend otherwise. The series is renowned worldwide for quality.

There needs to be a Gran Turismo 'Horizon' for those who just want to put a big turbo on a Civic and blow Ferraris' doors off.

I always kinda hoped Driveclub would build into an open world semi-arcade racer and Horizon competitor. It's focus on beautiful environments and a more arcade feel would have been perfect for an open world sequel. I'll always be sad they were shut down =(

Gran Turismo though... the series is popular for realism, and for it's campaign mode. But since they were happy enough to throw the campaign away, I guess what I'm saying is, sure why not throw the physics and realism away too? *shrug*

IISANDERII

I like how people are using their anecdotes as some kind of proof that it’s the same thing as what the fanbase wants.

It’s more likely that PD looked beyond the anecdotes and tapped into the huge amounts of data at their fingertips and built the game around not something a vocal minority wants.

GHG

75 is bad for a GT game. Not sure why anyone would want to pretend otherwise. The series is renowned worldwide for quality.

It's not a great score for a GT game but I don't think many are critical of the quality of what the game has to offer. It just doesn't have enough to offer.

Kaz vision for the series has changed
Yes it has, and left a big gap for all the people who liked the old style of GT campaigns and GTS doesn't appeal. Personally, I don't really care. I think games like Horizon are a mess of imbalance and I'm glad to see GT go in this direction

And what if they don't want an open world with dumbed down physics?
Then someone else has an audience to cater to. There are no production car collecting/modding/upgrading racing games on PS4 in the vein of Horizon or old style GT.

That's a weird comment. There's a ton of quality here, just not enough content and a changed series-focus that (rightfully/wrongfully) rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

onanie

As I said, it is a new direction, and no one needs to do any pretending. The quality and craftsmanship remains outstanding and to believe otherwise is actually the real pretending.

MaDKaT

It's not a great score for a GT game but I don't think many are critical of the quality of what the game has to offer. It just doesn't have enough to offer.

This. Most of the reviews have been glowing about what is there. Just getting heavily docked for content.

I'm a single player gamer. And I don't want GT to step away from the direction GT is going with Sport. The on-track experience/feel/atmosphere/sensation is simply the best I've played in a racing game. The thrill and the art of careful meticulous racing is something I'm willing use to forego the extra cars and tracks.

Me too, altough I fell in love with the multiplayer with Sport and is the reason why I bought it, but back in time when I played my last GT game (4) I remember that what I loved the most was: Playing Cups and Championships, and upgrading my car (to enter more competitions). Never really took into consideration the list of cars and tracks, of course it's good but is not the most important to me. As a single player gamer what I want is stuff to do, valuable stuff. Right now I consider Sport thin in that regard (licences, missions, all that is really boring to me and always was but I do it) but I expect that to change with the november cups.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Stuff like this isnt helping man i want a new racing game 😐

MaDKaT

Yes it has, and left a big gap for all the people who liked the old style of GT campaigns and GTS doesn't appeal. Personally, I don't really care. I think games like Horizon are a mess of imbalance and I'm glad to see GT go in this direction

Then someone else has an audience to cater to. There are no production car collecting/modding/upgrading racing games on PS4 in the vein of Horizon or old style GT.

So why Horizon and not just something like the old style GT? Just seems odd to make that leap when fans of the legacy just want some of that legacy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I can’t argue really here either. I have misgivings about both the lack of a focused career and the online has just been overly tedious for me than some magical dramatic progress change.

But moving through those single player events and improving my skills as I endlessly restart to shave a fraction of a second for golds has been the true highlight for me. Possibly the best experience I have felt with my t300 since buying it early last year.

Sure, my bad for choice of words. I meant quality as a whole package, based on what the series is known for. The score is clearly reflecting the lack of content, and that's a shame not just for fans of the single player elements of GT but for the future of the series if it starts to impact the brand's reputation.

Em3112

Neo Member
True but DriveClub was nowhere near as satisfying to play at launch, needing a lot of tweaks. Not to say DC is bad, with all the fixes and DLC, it's a great game now but it took quite a while to get there.

At least GT Sport is excellent in the driving department right now, even with the things that are missing, so it's satisfying to play. I can wait for more content because there is plenty to play on PS4, dipping in and out of GT Sport and it's solid online racing.

That is of course a personal opinion. The driveclub model was something to get used to.
Some people really hated it, I liked it but it could be better.
It was action packed driving with an extreme short brake distance. Switching from DC to something more serious was hard sometimes. With the weatherpatch it became something special.

I hear a lot of praise about the driving of GT idd. I found it a little lifeless on controller but in the situation that GT sport had a normal amount of content I would definitely buy it and get used to it.

Loudninja

I always kinda hoped Driveclub would build into an open world semi-arcade racer and Horizon competitor. It's focus on beautiful environments and a more arcade feel would have been perfect for an open world sequel. I'll always be sad they were shut down =(

Gran Turismo though... the series is popular for realism, and for it's campaign mode. But since they were happy enough to throw the campaign away, I guess what I'm saying is, sure why not throw the physics and realism away too? *shrug*
I think Eurogamer said it best

Let's not forget what's been lost for the series' PlayStation 4 debut, though. There's none of that old scope, and only a fraction of the old madness that made Gran Turismo so endearing. There are no lunar rovers, no 19th century single horsepowered wagons and not even anything by way of an open wheel racer to be found in its car list at launch. Yet, conversely, this is possibly the most focussed, directly enjoyable game Polyphony Digital has put out since the heady days of Gran Turismo 3. Racing improves the breed, industrialist Soichiro Honda once said, and Gran Turismo Sport is proof positive of that.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-17-gran-turismo-sport-review

So why Horizon and not just something like the old style GT? Just seems odd to make that leap when fans of the legacy just want some of that legacy.
I think old GT and Horizon both scratch a very similar itch for a lot of people that GTS just doesn't. Something is bound to appear on the Sony platform to fill that hole. Some people just like cars, collecting, grinding upgrades, making liveries etc. Others just want to race/time trial. I don't think you can satisfy both particularly well in a single game. Horizon is good fun but as a racing game for the competitive player, it's pretty terrible.

I like how people are using their anecdotes as some kind of proof that it's the same thing as what the fanbase wants.

It's more likely that PD looked beyond the anecdotes and tapped into the huge amounts of data at their fingertips and built the game around not something a vocal minority wants.

This. Publishers don't throw AAA money at something without data to back it up.

Top Bottom