• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

I never got to Fall in my PC playthrough and I am a few days away from it now on Switch. Looking forward to seeing it. Got my house upgraded last night, I will avoid the fridge until we get a patch...lol. Just needed the space for more neat stuffs.

Planted a ton of corn last night in an experiment, I see it can be grown in summer or fall so hopefully it doesn't die on me when the seasons transit. Of course I could look it up but I am starting to see why so many say just go with the flow and learn things on your own. Looking things up seem to really cheat the experience in a game like this.

Is it bad to take the first year to just get your farm started? Will it change how the game plays out?

I will tell you the time limited thing in the game, which is actually not limited and not an issue, but still a thing some people shoot for.

If you search your whole farm area you will find a small shrine with a note from your grandpa that says to expect him to visit you in spring of the third year (so, you have two years before he visits).

When he visits he evaluates your progress on a number of major things in the game, and if you did well enough, you get a good rating and an item that is helpful. Your evaluation is based on a lot of things that would be fairly demanding for a new player. Major achievement type things, like finishing the community center, getting married, catching every fish etc.

However...if you don't achieve what you want on your evaluation, you can get your farm re-evaluated at any time by offering a diamond to the shrine. And diamonds are really not ultra-rare in the lower levels of the mine. So nothing is actually missable.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god, I've been walking around with boots in my inventory for the longest time, plus a couple of rings for a shorter amount of time, and I just now realized (on day 28 of Fall) that there are slots to equip this stuff.

😐

Morts

Oh my god, I've been walking around with boots in my inventory for the longest time, plus a couple of rings for a shorter amount of time, and I just now realized (on day 28 of Fall) that there are slots to equip this stuff.

😐

Holy shit what.

JakeD

After two seasons it finally rained... I finally can get married

Speaking of waiting for rain...I read the wiki wrong and thought the requirements for a walleye were: fall, rain, and 12am-2am

I dedicated an entire day to staying up til midnight, fishing frantically to catch one in the ~2 minute window, and teleporting home at 1:40

Turns out it’s 12pm-2am

I need to vent. Have already put 25+ hours into Stardew and have been keeping it in sleep mode when not playing. I have this Elite Player backpack that carries my dock, cables, and 3 pro controllers. Never know where I’ll be located for the job, plus might visit friends or family between shifts.

H9isj4r.jpg

Nintendo, why do you make your pro controller trollers socsensitive?! I had my back pack in my lap while using the Switch in table top mode looking through my friends list. Decided to set it down and all of my pro controllers turned on and moved the cursor through the menus while clicking buttons.

Note: I did not throw or manhandle the backpack. I lifted it up from my lap and leaned it down.

I look up and somehow the controller clicked on my friends Mario Kart hours and said “ yada yada Start game?”. I was like “Oh no!” but the controller still clicked A on itself. Next popped up “Do you really want to close your game?” I was determined to not close it so tried my best to gently let go of the backpack and let it rest on the chair. What happens? It clicks A again and closes my game anyways.

Why do Joycons take a double home press to start but pro controllers are so sensitive?

What do I do Stardew Gaf?

I think I’m done with this game for a while. Was having fun and just finished the Spring festival and planted some strawberries. Decided to take a nap before work, so I put the system in sleep mode and went to sleep myself. Woke up to the sound of Stardew playing and went to see what was going on.

Apparently my pro controllers–which were in my carrying bag/case decided to turn all of themselves on, and make my character run against the wall wasting 13 days of my save game. I was on 14 Spring (Year 2) and apparently the game had played itself all the way to 27 Spring. I’ve missed Pam and Shane’s birthdays. My animals probably went some days without getting fed, my crops have just been sitting there unharvested (didn’t check because I thought if I turned it off it wouldn’t save anything until I realized), and I’ve missed out on 14 days of profit and skill raising. I didn’t get to talk to anyone so my relationships are probably down too!

I mostly blame Nintendo on this one. Why do the pro controllers turn on so easy. Every modern controller, and last gen, required you to at least hold down a certain button to turn on. Even their Joycons rehire a double press of the home button! It really makes no sense why they decided it should be the slightest touch that turns it on. I shouldn’t have to turn Airplane mode on, and off, constantly to avoid my controllers turning on and draining themselves/the console or un-pausing a game.

I want to continue and play, but I feel like I’ve just missed it on so much.

Edit: Clarified what year I was on

Dude... Take your controllers out of your backpack! lol

Unai

Should I put my first found diamond in the museum or sell it,

If you are close to complete 25,000 Bundle on the Community Center I would wait. You earn a machine that can duplicate gems. Either way you'll find other diamonds and will be able to craft that machine on your own later, so you can do as you like.

In my first year I've probably gotten over 10 diamonds. They are really not that rare. I've gotten at least two from treasure chests fishing and the rest deep in the mine.

If you are close to complete 25,000 Bundle on the Community Center I would wait. You earn a machine that can duplicate gems. Either way you'll find other diamonds and will be able to craft that machine on your own later, so you can do as you like.

I didn‘t even got the 5,000 yet.

Fliesen

Is there any real point to the weather indicator btw? It tells me today's weather. Like ... duh, i can see that it's raining, thanks.

And i don't believe that any other weather (wind / pollen / snow) makes any meaningful gameplay difference, cmiiw?

It'd be so neat if it would show you tomorrow's forecast instead.

Aurongel

Is there any real point to the weather indicator btw? It tells me today's weather. Like ... duh, i can see that it's raining, thanks.

And i don't believe that any other weather (wind / pollen / snow) makes any meaningful gameplay difference, cmiiw?

It'd be so neat if it would show you tomorrow's forecast instead.
That's what the TV station is for. But I do agree, a lot of this game's UI is pretty superfluous.

Unrelated: If you scroll to the bottom right corner of the museum placement screen then it displays debugging information 😂

oatmeal

Banned
This game is much much better than any Animal Crossing game. The amount of content that unlocks as you progress is staggering.
The moment to moment gameplay is way smoother and faster. Just the process of taking fossils to museum one at a time with repeated text boxes in AC:NL is insane.

TheKeyPit

Banned
3 artifacts left for the museum :/

No luck with a second Prismatic Shard.

Legend achievement unlocked.
Earn 10,000,000G

All social achievements unlocked.

Winter Year 3 and I'm preparing my farm for an Ancient Fruit storm. 116 in the greenhouse, 192 outside with Junimo harvesting from spring to fall. I need the
10,000,000G
for the Golden Clock.

oatmeal

Banned
Does the farm automate ever?

I enjoy getting the eggs and feeding my 8 chickens and milking and feeding my 4 cows but it is growing tedious and if I’m going to expand in year 2 it would be pretty time consuming to do this every morning.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Does the farm automate ever?

I enjoy getting the eggs and feeding my 8 chickens and milking and feeding my 4 cows but it is growing tedious and if I’m going to expand in year 2 it would be pretty time consuming to do this every morning.
You can automate the feeding but that's it.

TheKeyPit

Banned
How do you automate harvesting?
It's an endgame feature.

You'll get a quest, which on completion will grant you the option to buy a Junimo Hut. This houses Junimos, the little things that run through the Community Center. They'll harvest the crops around the hut.

Kaban

Man... I just realized you can check your community center bundles by clicking the icon on the top right of your menu. Of course, you still need to go to the community center to drop off resources, but I wasted too many trips going to that building and taking screenshots because I couldn't remember what I needed :p

JakeD

Man... I just realized you can check your community center bundles by clicking the icon on the top right of your menu. Of course, you still need to go to the community center to drop off resources, but I wasted too many trips going to that building and taking screenshots because I couldn't remember what I needed :p

Between 80 hours on pc and 60 so far on switch I never realized this

Edit: do you mean the collections tab or am I missing something?

Second edit: checked my other save and i see it. It’s inaccesible if you have ”controller style” selected which explains why I didn’t notice it on switch. Doesn’t explain why I never saw it on pc though. Goes away when you complete CC by the way to those who may be looking

DjRalford

Used my first winter to conquer the mines, now working on getting the stuff for the exotic bundle.

Got a good advance sprinkler system setup though so I don’t need to worry about watering anything.

Kaban

Between 80 hours on pc and 60 so far on switch I never realized this

Edit: do you mean the collections tab or am I missing something?

When you open up your menu, to the right of your items, there are two buttons. There's one that looks like a weird tree... click on it and it will show you all the Community Center bundles and what resources you still need.

edit: this one

MlZpsQ2.jpg

Afrocious

I'm on Fall Y1. While this is my second playthrough (first time was on the PC), I'm having way more fun being able to sit back and play handheld, or on my screen.

I'm converting from using the watering can to using quality sprinklers, so that'll be exciting. Oddly enough, coal and copper seems to be my limiting items. Haven't found a reliable way to farm for those yet. I find gold and iron to be easier, especially iron.

Anyone growing trees on their farm? I'm thinking of starting some up to get syrup/resin/oil.

Apparently, only fruit trees need 8 squares around them so fruit can fall, correct?

Memles

When you open up your menu, to the right of your items, there are two buttons. There's one that looks like a weird tree... click on it and it will show you all the Community Center bundles and what resources you still need.

MlZpsQ2.jpg

I've found this inconsistent: I can access it on some menu screens, but not on others. And since I need to be there physically to put items in anyway, I usually just end up hiking to the Community Center anyway.

brad-t

MlZpsQ2.jpg

I've played for 70 hours and didn't realize this D:

Aiii

So not worth it

MlZpsQ2.jpg

Holy shit. This is a game changer.

Top Bottom