• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

The person is a racist shit. That's it. There is no "true accurate story/details". It ends there when the racist shit gets brought up. There is no excuse for racism. Ever.

suzu

Even when the person is being blatant and invoking Trump, there will be people who look for ways to lessen any implications of racism.

lol

Izuna

Banned
I think when people see Trump used as a way to pinpoint racism, people will come to defend it because they support him. Like, they want to help remove the stigma

Those of you who are fighting the good fight in that thread are saints. I had to refrain because reading that one person's posts made me angry beyond reason. It's not just defending racist comments, it's just how little perspective and logic that poster has to employ to do so. It infuriates me on an intellectual level.

Woooow. I need to distance myself from race politics and hangouts with even more of my friends..... The anti-black sentiment is too real. Nearly everything is, "that's just how Black people were raised. That's what Black people do." Etc.

These are early 30s Hmong Americans.... I'm sad to be hearing that coming from these people.

MsKrisp

They're putting one finally in Chicago, in Chinatown.

Slowly but surely, Chicago Chinatown seems to be evolving into a general Asiatown.

In DC, Chinatown is just disappearing since they built the Verizon Center. Costs went up, and Taiwanese people moved out to the suburbs. It was pretty tiny to begin with, and now it's like only a block.

Ugh.... Sorry for not taking any pictures of the bbq I ate. It wasn't anything special but it was still delicious. 60°f weather in the Twin Cities was very much appreciated 😄

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Guys, guys... I'm in Taiwan now and enjoying delicious food. Will post a picture or two later here to lift up the spirit here.

A month ago I started a job and most of my co-workers are Asian. It feels dumb to say this but I've never felt more like a minority in any of my jobs than I do now. These Asians are not the younger ones that were born and raised in America, they're mainly older Asians that immigrated here. Most of them speak English with an accent but mostly stick to their native tongue when speaking to each other. The two dominant groups are the Vietnamese and Chinese with Vietnamese being the larger group(I'm Hmong BTW). I looked at the calendar for employee anniversaries for just the first 4 months of this year and i think I saw at least a dozen different workers with the surname "Nguyen" lol.

It may sound strange but I don't feel like one of them. These men and women were born and raised in a different society and culture and then moved to the States probably when they were already adults where as I was born and raised here. I speak English fluently and speak my native tongue horribly. The only person I talk to at work is a really young black guy. The other Asians all seem friendly, but I feel like I have no clue how to engage with them.

I guess the reason why I'm saying all this is because it kind of reminds me of my relationship with my parents. We don't have a bad relationship, but we're not close because we think and feel very differently about so many things. They also don't speak English while I'm pretty bad at speaking my native tongue. So we're limited to very simple conversations when I do talk to them. My wife on the other hand speaks the language very fluently and has a great relationship with my parents(she's definitely they're favorite daughter in law). I always joke to her that while they may love me more, they definitely like her more. Well just wanted to tell this story in case anybody here read the whole thing.

Izuna

Banned
^ I know what you mean.

The key takeaway is that, you're not really supposed to. You're as different to them as any (Canadian?) of any race. Those differences, which make any difference, are purely cultural.

You get to know by experience that race doesn't have anything to do with it. With xenophobic people, it's the most obvious thing to blame for it.

I'm not going to find people that "look" like me outside of my brothers, and them being super different to me let me know everything I needed to know about how much difference race makes.

This made me confused, dare I say, about black people and what is the "black experience". There's overlap only because of the way they are treated. In that sense, you can see things from the point of view and an Asian person living where you are better. It's not the best way to find a connection with people, but there's that.

SRG01

Ending outburst summarizes everything.

Probably why the Adam Ruins Everything thread never gains traction in this forum.

To be fair though, a race-less ideal can work in a perfect world -- and is in fact the basis for the dismantling of class-based societies (along regional and ethnic lines) in the past. The more we see others -- and more importantly, ourselves -- as separate and distinct, the more we'll see the world along class and ethnic lines.

It's just that people in the 21st century rarely approach the ideal in an authentic fashion and is often coded language for racist ideas.

MsKrisp

That college humor video is awesome. I loved that older one where they were establishing how Asian mike trapp was and what he was allowed to do

To be fair though, a race-less ideal can work in a perfect world -- and is in fact the basis for the dismantling of class-based societies (along regional and ethnic lines) in the past. The more we see others -- and more importantly, ourselves -- as separate and distinct, the more we'll see the world along class and ethnic lines.

It's just that people in the 21st century rarely approach the ideal in an authentic fashion and is often coded language for racist ideas.

Part of the problem is that humans are so damn cliquish. If we're not grouping and fighting over our race vs. another, it's over football, or fucking ketchup on hotdogs

SRG01

Part of the problem is that humans are so damn cliquish. If we're not grouping and fighting over our race vs. another, it's over football, or fucking ketchup on hotdogs

100% agreed. People really need to come together over our mutual similarities rather than innocuous differences.

MsKrisp

Someone posted a picture of a hotdog with a lot of ketchup on it in a recent hotdog thread, and some reacted poorly lol. People get upset over ketchup

Izuna

Banned
PVq4G9C.jpg

Michelin star Ramen place in Sugamo has supermarket Ramen now

No_Style

Let me preface this with the fact that I'm very westernized but I hold I have deep love for family. I'm a CBC and don't have much experience with Canto people.

I met a wonderful Canto girl for the first time yesterday. It was incredibly refreshing to just be able sit down and just air grievances about our families without scaring each other away. She kept asking asking if it was okay to delve deep into these topics so early on. (She received feedback that she was too intense before) and I gave her the green light because I felt it was liberating as well. I loved every moment of that date and we have every intention of meeting up again next week.

I just have one curious inquiry that I hope you folks can shed some light on. She kept pouring tea for the both of us. Before I realized my cup was less than half way, she's ready to pour and/or ordering new pots. Haha.. we went through at least 4 pots during that date. I complimented her strong tea game and jokingly said I wasn't holding up my end of it (I maybe got 3 pours in?). She said it was okay and that she was instinctively hogging the pot.

What I want to know is this table manners that was taught? Or just her own personal quirk? Not even mainland Mandarin girls that I have dated was like that.

clav

That's the default condiment for a hotdog, though. It's not like you eat them with no condiments unless you're a sadist or something

Sounds like you've never been to the midwest.

Ketchup on a hotdog is a passive aggressive insult in Chicago.

People will ask you twice if you are sure.

SRG01

Let me preface this with the fact that I'm very westernized but I hold I have deep love for family. I'm a CBC and don't have much experience with Canto people.

I met a wonderful Canto girl for the first time yesterday. It was incredibly refreshing to just be able sit down and just air grievances about our families without scaring each other away. She kept asking asking if it was okay to delve deep into these topics so early on. (She received feedback that she was too intense before) and I gave her the green light because I felt it was liberating as well. I loved every moment of that date and we have every intention of meeting up again next week.

I just have one curious inquiry that I hope you folks can shed some light on. She kept pouring tea for the both of us. Before I realized my cup was less than half way, she's ready to pour and/or ordering new pots. Haha.. we went through at least 4 pots during that date. I complimented her strong tea game and jokingly said I wasn't holding up my end of it (I maybe got 3 pours in?). She said it was okay and that she was instinctively hogging the pot.

What I want to know is this table manners that was taught? Or just her own personal quirk? Not even mainland Mandarin girls that I have dated was like that.

It's definitely a Hong Kong/Cantonese thing to keep refilling tea.

Strangely enough, most Mainlanders I know aren't that big into Chinese tea culture... I suppose being both British and HK affects us more than most...

edit: And yes, your experiences mirror my own. I'm actually extremely reluctant to date non-Asian or even non-Canto girls now.

milkham

I'm no expert as an ABC, but that seems like pretty standard dim sum teapot behavior. pour for others and then pour for yourself. There's a sort of acknowledgement when someone pours for you where you tap the table lightly with your fingertips. If I want more tea i'm pouring some in your cup even if you may not have touched it.

I'm no expert as an ABC, but that seems like pretty standard dim sum teapot behavior. pour for others and then pour for yourself. There's a sort of acknowledgement when someone pours for you where you tap the table lightly with your fingertips. If I want more tea i'm pouring some in your cup even if you may not have touched it.
Yes at the bold! I think most people I eat with don't know about that.

Also, I always read your username as milkman.

No blonde hair. Actually.... The only thing AZN was my fascination with ricers, lol. Suped up Civics, Integras, Skylines, etc. The AZN life was.... Quite interesting leading up to Initial D.

clav

I rarely watch anime, and I want to see Your Name in Japanese since I understand a little bit. Supposedly it's shown in theaters now?

Probably will wait until it hits retail shelves. Haven't been to a movie theater for many years.

mercviper

Yes at the bold! I think most people I eat with don't know about that.

Oh wow I guess thought it was pretty standard since my whole fam does it and I suppose I don't really notice when people don't. My parents taught me that as a kid but maybe it was because I was a curious sort and probably asked them why they tapped. They told me it was to rep you kowtowing for more tea.

Sounds like you've never been to the midwest.

Ketchup on a hotdog is a passive aggressive insult in Chicago.

People will ask you twice if you are sure.

Sure they will ask twice but they won't treat you like a dog when you ask for ketchup on your hotdog. Us Minnesotan's at least recognize that we eat our foods different from each other and we respect that!

Top Bottom