• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

MikeMyers

Ooh yay. Your brother's photos are excellent. Between you and Vern I really feel like I'm seeing a country a way I've never had the chance to!

I am hoping to go back next year, or maybe the winter of this year (around December). I haven't really been back there for about a decade so I am expecting a lot of feels when I do go back.
I'm thinking of applying for a visa to go but am kinda scared to due so given the current political climate.

Izuna

Banned
If they were going to do the movie the way they did, the simplest thing would've been to just say they weren't in Japan.

Not sure why they tried to go halfway with it.

Because a futuristic Japan is one of the selling points of GitS

Robot Geisha!

ScarJo!

Anime!

Denis Villeneuve would have knocked it out of the park if he wasn't already doing Blade Runner 2. Sicario has so much more in common with Oshii's '95 GitS and Patlabor 2. They both seem to like to use action sparingly, punctuating tense moments with moments of action. Both their films tend to be slow and lingering.

My favorite part these GitS threads is watching people lament that anime adaptations will be abandoned because of uppity Asians.

vern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZdRDM-NYgc

like the portrayal is so bad. its like bruh

my bros in pakistan taking some photos right now

https://www.instagram.com/wajahut/

my beautiful beautiful country shown as some dystopian piece of shit in that show

Those are some great photos. I've got some Pakistani contacts from a job I did out here in china, they always ask me to come out and see their country. They send me photos every so often, seems like an amazing and beautiful place. They said it's safe for white dudes like me as long as I avoid a certain region... I forget tbh it's been awhile. They said the north(east?) maybe is just pristine mountains and lakes and trekking wonderland. I hope I can find time to head out there...

I was just in Singapore and Malaysia again for the past week or so, two awesome places and incredible food. I ate so much goddamn. No time to take photos really as it was a work trip, sorry BSB 😅Now back in cold shanghai.

Sicario is one of the best movies I've ever seen-- in fact 2015 was disgustingly good for movies.

I was about to say Sicario might be one of my favorite movies of 2015. Then I googled 2015 movies. Hard decision now.
_____

Anytime someone says "who cares" and "get over it," I have to check their post history. Too many burner accounts coming out of the woodwork lately with the H3H3 nonsense and all.
Well I can't anymore with the GitS thread. I'm exhausted. I feel like I'm repeating myself. Someone comes in and says something dumb and I feel like I gotta explain to them why whitewashing is bad by first explaining how the universe came to be.

Random question; I know some of you are from outside the US, but have you ever emigrated to live in another country and if so how did you go about finding a place to live and to work?

vern

Random question; I know some of you are from outside the US, but have you ever emigrated to live in another country and if so how did you go about finding a place to live and to work?

I'm American. I studied in Australia and worked there after I graduated. I stayed for 2 years. It was straightforward at that time I found an employer and they employed me. Can't remember all the details it was ages ago.

I moved to china nearly 5 years ago now. I applied for jobs, got a visa, moved. You need to have some degrees or skills in order to move to most countries, they don't want just any old riffraff. Some countries are easier than others to get into. Where are you from and where do you wanna go? What do you offer a prospective country or employer that they can't get locally? China is easy to move to if you wanna teach English. Plenty of resources online, though I wouldn't recommend it. Pay is shit unless you are a properly qualified teacher. Lots of other opportunities here in chinathough if you have other skills. Lots of money to be made as well, the window of opportunity in china feels like it's closing though... Vietnam is on the come up.

If you have specific questions I'll try to answer, your post was a little light on details though.

I'm American. I studied in Australia and worked there after I graduated. I stayed for 2 years. It was straightforward at that time I found an employer and they employed me. Can't remember all the details it was ages ago.

I moved to china nearly 5 years ago now. I applied for jobs, got a visa, moved. You need to have some degrees or skills in order to move to most countries, they don't want just any old riffraff. Some countries are easier than others to get into. Where are you from and where do you wanna go? What do you offer a prospective country or employer that they can't get locally? China is easy to move to if you wanna teach English. Plenty of resources online, though I wouldn't recommend it. Pay is shit unless you are a properly qualified teacher. Lots of other opportunities here in chinathough if you have other skills. Lots of money to be made as well, the window of opportunity in china feels like it's closing though... Vietnam is on the come up.

If you have specific questions I'll try to answer, your post was a little light on details though.

I'm writing a story and these two characters are fresh off the boat and just arrived in the US, but I'm not sure what to write next.

vern

I'm writing a story and these two characters are fresh off the boat and just arrived in the US, but I'm not sure what to write next.

I guess I don't know what it would be like to arrive in America as an outsider. Must suck. We aren't the best at welcoming outsiders lol. Especially these days. I could ask some of my Chinese friends that have moved to the USA if you have a few specific questions send them to me. My Chinese friends that have moved there are rich though, so they might have a different experience than your characters or your average immigrant.

Izuna

Banned
220px-Ghost_in_the_Shell.jpg

Look at this white girl

~~

Just found out that Bae has never seen it. Which means I have an excuse to watch the OG movie and SAC 😅

firelogic

THR did an interview with 4 Japanese actresses on their thoughts regarding the movie, they all watched it.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...esses-dissect-movie-whitewashing-twist-990956

One of them brought up the reason the studio gave as to why The Ancient was whitewashed and it's what I've been wondering the whole time. They didn't want to create a racially insensitive character so they re-wrote it and cast a white actor (same rationale given for The Mandarin). What baffles me is, why can't you write the character so it's not racially insensitive (pretend you're writing it for a white person if you have to) and then cast an Asian actor? Just give the same not-racially-insensitive lines to an Asian actor.

Edit: There are more interesting points brought up but that one always rubbed me the wrong way.

I know it's all about money but it's not like Tilda Swinton brings asses to the seats. She's an excellent actress and she's great in everything she does but she doesn't generate box office dollars. Neither does Guy Pearce. Where's the risk?

Also, I agree with Kato-Kiriyama about Maggie Q being a great choice for the Major.

Zoe

Holy shit, all the hubbub about Rila Fukushima, and it turns out she was just the model for the geisha robots?

Anyway, thanks for posting. The part where American directors make the Japanese people act American yet Asian Americans have to act oriental was hilarious(ly sad).

firelogic

No problem :)

Yup. Their reactions to hearing Rila is in the movie was hilarious and them speculating which 5 seconds she might have been on screen only to find out she was just used for facial capture hahaha.

I guess I don't know what it would be like to arrive in America as an outsider. Must suck. We aren't the best at welcoming outsiders lol. Especially these days. I could ask some of my Chinese friends that have moved to the USA if you have a few specific questions send them to me. My Chinese friends that have moved there are rich though, so they might have a different experience than your characters or your average immigrant.

Just like I said earlier I was wondering how you find a place to stay when you're coming to a place you never been to and don't have any family there.

vern

Just like I said earlier I was wondering how you find a place to stay when you're coming to a place you never been to and don't have any family there.

Real estate agent? Internet? Your job can arrange it if it's a proper company. I guess not that interesting, you can make it better for your story.

Nudull

Banned
Thank you to those putting in work in that horrific gits thread.

I appreciate it a lot. I would join y'all but I'm honestly too tired right now.

I'm way too tired in general to deal with it. People like to pretend they're progressive, but only when it's convenient for them.

Izuna

Banned
I wonder how long it will take for someone to bring up WW2 in that Japan thread

Because only then will it be on the right track

I made the mistake of going in there last night before bed, which is when the crazy shit just started coming in back to back. Like three different people came in to say "get over it." Ended up wasting too much time arguing with people who clearly think whitewashing is a non-existent, made up issue. Mainstream media wanting clicks. Outrage culture. Trump.

Anime is a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

But really, as a fan of anime I'd be perfectly fine if these fail adaptations stopped being made. Atleast until Hollywood can fucking mature a bit to be more progressive.

You know it's actually a damn shame about that thread with the one article. There's a decent amount you can take away from it, but the OP tried to take one quote and make it seems like Japanese people want to suck on some white D. Not only that but it's throwing more fuel on the fire on the shittiest part of the discussion and makes it run around in circles over one line.

i have to refrain from participating in that thread

i am afraid my posts would be used as a shield for unfortunate points of view

bleh

but the article is actually interesting and full with hard truths and nuances

full disclaimer:
i was one of the problematic asians who initially didn't have a problem with scarjo as major since i am first generation immigrant and still consume considerable asian movies contents (in my mind, gits being picked up by hollywood was a good thing since it was a kind of acknowledgement of asian original titles) (as for the casting choice, i was thinking it made sense since if i wanted to see asian actors, i just had to watch asian media. and hollywood gits would naturally have 'hollywood' casting).(this was shortsighted and tonedeaf from me)

i did not understand asian americans' perspectives. i was not able to empathize with the struggle of being 'erased' or 'trivialized' in mainstream contents produced in the very country you call your own.

i have been schooled since. i think it was cybit and septimus prime that helped me understand the issues. so thank you, both, and thank you asianGAF. anyway, so. im refraining from commenting in that thread. MESS.

Izuna

Banned
Like, to be fair tho, what people are discussing in that thread isn't from the truth. But it's a shame it overshadows the purpose of the quote in the first place. As in, how stuff affects Japanese people and their views are not as important as Asian Americans. The article mostly attempts to highlight why attitudes are different.

Over the weekend, as we walked by a movie theater:

"What's Ghost in the Shell?"
"That's the racist one."
"Oh, the one with Scarlett Johansson?"

So at least it's not just on GAF that people understand that this is horseshit.

cdyhybrid

"That's the racist one."

For many things, GAF is not representative of your average people.

Like, to be fair tho, what people are discussing in that thread isn't from the truth. But it's a shame it overshadows the purpose of the quote in the first place. As in, how stuff affects Japanese people and their views are not as important as Asian Americans. The article mostly attempts to highlight why attitudes are different.

There is a discussion to be had but, with how some GAFfers are, there won't be any discussion. I gotta give it to the ones who are trying to have the discussion 👏

I'll comment from time to time but my comments aren't much for discussion. Mostly being a snarky asshole and I accept that (and because I don't want to get banned).

"That's the racist one."

Lol. That's good. That's damn good.gif

Top Bottom