• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

hirokazu

This is the first I've heard about Get Out and Asians. All I've heard about it before was how it highlight racial issues or whatever. I've not read too much about the film because I'd rather go in a watch it than read about it beforehand.

Quick

Banned
On GITS: I saw it last night, and...hooo-boy. The whitewashing is too real.

On Get Out's Asian character: "Asians aren't above racism" is basically what I got from that, as well as the whole Model Minority thing. As SystemBug says, it's a show of racial hierarchy in America that isn't always talked about.

firelogic

GQ did a piece on Ghost in The Shell and I found it amusing. This part in particular. Spoilers for the ending!!

Kevin: (Spoilers ahoy!) At the end, we discover that the Major is the kidnapped brain of a young Japanese girl implanted into a robotic body by a tediously nefarious corporation—a plot twist that is nowhere in the original and, at first, comes across as incredibly dumb until you have a moment to really think about it and realize oh my god this is even dumber than I could have ever imagined.

If there is a thin moral in Ghost in the Shell, it’s “Do not take a Japanese girl and put her in the body of a white robot.” Which is EXACTLY what this movie is! They took a Japanese brain and put it in a white shell. The ending of the movie is a self-condemnation of the movie’s own whitewashed existence (which in some ways would be an extremely anime move if it were deliberate). But in the end, Ghost in the Shell owns itself harder than any other movie I’ve ever seen.

http://www.gq.com/story/ghost-in-the-shell-review

zeemumu

The opposite of banana

I wonder if ScarJo did any method acting

Don't think she's the type to do method acting. I enjoy reading method acting stories, though. They have a tendency to be crazy, like Adrien Brody breaking up with his girlfriend and getting rid of all of his stuff so he could get into the mindset for The Pianist. You have to wonder at that point: is it even acting anymore. If I'm in a movie where I need to act like I got shot in the foot and I accomplish this by actually shooting myself in the foot, am I a good actor or just committed?

Izuna

Banned
Don't think she's the type to do method acting. I enjoy reading method acting stories, though. They have a tendency to be crazy, like Adrien Brody breaking up with his girlfriend and getting rid of all of his stuff so he could get into the mindset for The Pianist. You have to wonder at that point: is it even acting anymore. If I'm in a movie where I need to act like I got shot in the foot and I accomplish this by actually shooting myself in the foot, am I a good actor or just committed?

I mean, how do you method act for a Japanese brain, brainwashed to think it's white?

However you bring up something worth actually talking about. Hearing about how the Joker role (not Jared Leto) is potentially dangerous interested me.

I wonder any aggressive method acting causes a revelation with some actors, like they became different/better people from it?

zeemumu

I mean, how do you method act for a Japanese brain, brainwashed to think it's white?

However you bring up something worth actually talking about. Hearing about how the Joker role (not Jared Leto) is potentially dangerous interested me.

I wonder any aggressive method acting causes a revelation with some actors, like they became different/better people from it?

Thought we had a conversation on that at some point. Didn't someone's sister in here want to look more white because she thought white was the beauty norm?
Leto got way too into it. Apparently he never broke character.

Then there's Leo DiCaprio in Django crushing a real glass with his fist and then smearing his real blood all over Kerry Washington's face.

firelogic

Thought we had a conversation on that at some point. Didn't someone's sister in here want to look more white because she thought white was the beauty norm?

Then there's Leo DiCaprio in Django crushing a real glass with his fist and then smearing his real blood all over Kerry Washington's face.

She must have been horrified. Good job keeping it together though. Same with Leo. I would have been screaming for a doctor because it was a pretty nasty cut.

That was me. Yeah.... My older sister wants to be white. It's infuriating.

What's worse is that she did grow up with nobody but Hmong people. It's the media she consumes now that makes her want to be white. I guess it's the way white people are treated that makes her want to be white, I suppose.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah it's dark brown at best and isn't all one color- also, it lightens a lot when I spend time in the sun. I also get red and blonde strands here and there. But per my chromosome tests, I'm 99% Chinese and 1.8% Korean, so I guess it's just a weird genetic abnormality. When I was a kid, I wanted to dye my hair black so badly, since my mom has black black hair and I thought it was so pretty haha. That blue black hair is gorgeous.

Blue-black Asian hair is beautiful, but natural brown for east-Asian o_o

Perhaps a genetic mutation (blue-eyes is thought to be). That's really cool.

With how the DNA tests are, and how mixed the Chinese population is, it might not be so strange if you had more precise results.

SystemBug

yeah a few of my cousins have lighter skin and light brown hair.

heres one of them

17571056_10158483277180584_1192728363_o.png
and thats me side eyeing the camera on the bottom left lol

milkham

I just had the idea to make a white washing bingo card, i'd say 5x5 grid is pretty standard so I'd need 25 things

here's what I've got so far

• Rinko Kikuchi
  • Lucy Liu
  • Anime people are white
  • The IP creator is fine with it
  • White People have box office draw
  • Blame China
  • Matt Damon
  • My asian girlfriend is fine with it
  • What about other minority?
  • It's an international story

I just had the idea to make a white washing bingo card, i'd say 5x5 grid is pretty standard so I'd need 25 things

• Rinko Kikuchi
  • Lucy Liu
  • Anime people are white
  • Blame China
  • Matt Damon

• The movie is already diverse because it has a black person in it.
  • The movie is already diverse because it has a woman in it.

• Rinko Kikuchi
  • Lucy Liu
  • Anime people are white
  • Blame China
  • Matt Damon

• It's lore friendly
  • The theme of the movie is about identity and how race doesn't matter
  • Japanese people aren't bothered
  • I guess I must be racist for enjoying the movie
  • It's just a dumb action movie
  • Trump

Erheller

• Rinko Kikuchi
  • Lucy Liu
  • Anime people are white
  • Blame China
  • Matt Damon

liburls playing the race card
No prominent Asian actors/actresses
As long as it's a good movie I don't care

edit:
There are starving kids in Africa and you're getting upset about a movie?????????

UGH

That should never be used as a barometer for what's okay

Yeah, it's a country that's 99% Japanese. Their media is dominated by Japanese actors and personalities. They don't really know what it's like to live in a country where you are a minority.

Also

• I'm sure there are white people born in Japan who have Japanese names

Izuna

Banned
You guys have enough material to make an Asian American version of Dear White People

or is there one that I'm not familiar with

suzu

• Asian girls are my fetish or something along those lines
Seen that brought up at least twice in the GitS threads. Edit: Also.

• It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't (or lose-lose) situation

hirokazu

All threads of GAF involving Asian racism go the exact same way.
Oh yeah, I was in the thick of the Ghost in the Shell thread. There were stuff tossed about like "I don't see anime characters as Asian if their eyes are big. But I can't be racist because I find small Asian eyes attractive."

I think the issue is worth open discussion without people getting banned, but once I got banned for chiming in and saying something wasn't intentionally racist but just an clash of cultural misunderstandings. Interesting standards.

cdyhybrid

"I must be racist for enjoying it" is my favorite, since as soon as I read that I know I can stop paying attention to what they post.

Quick

Banned
Funny enough, I initially thought the "anime people are white" argument was contained to GAF and Reddit.

Go figure it trickles out IRL. Friend of mine was arguing with me that Motoko Kusanagi is drawn as a white person and therefore white.

giphy.gif

I know this is even more offtopic but OMIGOD YESS <3. I loved him in FF9!

FF9 has the best moogles. And Stiltzkin is the best of the best. I always wanted a game about his travels.

FF9 is also probably my favorite game. If someone asked me my favorite game, that's the answer I would come up with the quickest. Even if it might be the least interesting gameplay-wise, I just love everything about that world.

LUL

Just LUL

I'm catching some parts of Showtime's The Circus waiting for Homeland and uh..... The host went to a Elementary school to ask them about Trump..... The question was something like, "what word would you describe Trump?" One kid was Asian and he said TRUTH. I shook my damn head so hard tonight.

Speaking of Homeland, my wife won't watch it because evidently Claire Danes is a racist bitch.

I don't watch it because it sucks with Damian Lewis.

LUL

Just LUL

I'm catching some parts of Showtime's The Circus waiting for Homeland and uh..... The host went to a Elementary school to ask them about Trump..... The question was something like, "what word would you describe Trump?" One kid was Asian and he said TRUTH. I shook my damn head so hard tonight.
Maybe his parents are Trump supporters. Two of my aunts voted for Trump and... I'm just glad we don't discuss politics anytime we visit.

Maybe his parents are Trump supporters. Two of my aunts voted for Trump and... I'm just glad we don't discuss politics anytime we visit.

Damn. I know one person who voted for Trump and it seems like we all stopped hanging out with him. We all still discuss politics though just not with him around.

Homeland's decent. But if that's true about Claire then I'll need to stop watching once the season is over next week. Yeesh.

SystemBug

Damn. I know one person who voted for Trump and it seems like we all stopped hanging out with him. We all still discuss politics though just not with him around.

Homeland's decent. But if that's true about Claire then I'll need to stop watching once the season is over next week. Yeesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZdRDM-NYgc

like the portrayal is so bad. its like bruh

my bros in pakistan taking some photos right now

https://www.instagram.com/wajahut/

my beautiful beautiful country shown as some dystopian piece of shit in that show

SystemBug

Lahore is an amazing city.

One day I'd like to do a travel of the entire Himalayas mountain range.

Ooh yay. Your brother's photos are excellent. Between you and Vern I really feel like I'm seeing a country a way I've never had the chance to!

I am hoping to go back next year, or maybe the winter of this year (around December). I haven't really been back there for about a decade so I am expecting a lot of feels when I do go back.

Top Bottom