• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Resistance 2 wishlist/suggestion thread*

TEH-CJ

Banned
Its a good idea to make this thread, as the official thread is clutterd with online matching and posting this there would probably be left in the dust ha

Suggestions will be updated

- No more 1950 setting as i feel its restricting insomniac to be more creative in level design, plus the setting is really drab,

- Online 4 player CO OP!

- Limited to 3 weapons

- take place in the future

- More colour!

- Bigger wow moments and set peices

- again no more 1950 setting...

- have missions where we invade the chimera planet

- more oomph with the weapons

- better animations

- 3 hit mellee combos / better mellee animations

- more fleshed out story

- vehicle combat, including Air, ground and even sea? also would be great if your allies could control vehicles in real time

- more open ended enviroments

- better grenade explosions

- better physics

- no more linear enviroments

- your allies able to frag enemies with grenades (this wasn't included in res 1)

- your allies able to use other weapons

- lush enviroments, Forest, jungle etc

- more epic battles / ie) descend over a hill and seeing a massive epic fire fight taking place with vehicles , explosions , hundreds of men / chimera , and be one seemless fight

see brucLeeroy post

- better graphics and textures , shaders, dynamic lighting , self shadowing, HDR, post processing.

- Better hit detection and enemies reacting to bullets , aka killzone 2

- Better custimisation / able to choose different alien types , more colours! etc

- a strong theme tune and also need to shy a bit away from just traditional military anthems.

- PSP Remote play. Watch/edit replays, spectate games, manage clans

- In-game storytelling . Stream the levels together. Make it feel like more of a cohesive world.

- memorable hero

- No more load screens/ No loading between levels

- Characters need more personality

- Less "directed" level design. I felt the heavy hand of the designers came into play way too much in some parts of the game.

- screenshot taking ability at any time

- replay feature

- Improved vehicle physics

- Sprint in Single player

- More chimeran droships deploying troops! shit like that is awesome and epic

- More/ biggers bosses

- More enemy variety + more agressive enemies

- More battle chatter

- Gibs , more releastic gore and blood splatter

- Keyboard mouse support

- Better/ scarier chimera design

- Meatier gun SFX

- Game needs more personality

- Memorable characters

- More grenade types/ Hailstorm type grenade

- Scandinavian/Russian levels

- Improved shotgun

- No loading between levels

- Custom soundtracks

- water physics - Next gen water

- melee grenade attack

- When you step in snow/sand you leave foot prints

- map editor

- Introduce newer AI so that the Chimera do stuff we have not seen before, and would scare us silly

- More chimera dialoge througout the game

- blood spray or some sort of effect when meleeing an enemy.(its satisfying )

- allies to interact with eachother , moving the injured out of battle , throwing eachother ammo clips etc etc...

- more/ better hero moments!

- chimera able to use bullseye tag on you.

- auger to have impact effect on enemy ( in res 1 it felt like i was shooting water at chimera )

- replace carbine with some sort of high fire rate assualt rifle

- chimera version of a shotgun ( think the shotgun / reaper in Ratchet and clank)

-* this one i cant stress enough! * when going into ironsight make it one smooth transition ( think killzone 2)

- give the chimera some air vehicles

- make hale more appealing by wearing the special ops gear :p

- More unlockable character items. Stuff like masks, helmets, etc. Lots of it.

- Satisfying head shots

- Enemies able to use backlash grenade

- Enemies able to hijak your vehicle ( even in air)

- More easter eggs / secrets ( we love that shit )

- able to use dropships in multi player to transport troops etc etc..

- Better mellee animations for chimera

- Do whatever Burnout is doing with the drop in and out of online for the coop

klix108 said:
go shoot a window and tell me that again

I knew someone would bring this up

yes that was impressive, but it's sad that the window breaking is the highlight of the game graphically

I have the game, enjoyed it, but felt it looked like an Xbox game

MoeB

klix108 said:
go shoot a window and tell me that again
I remember playing the game with a friend and him mentioning the window shattering. It was such a WOW moment. I think we were comparing it with the glass in HL2 which was good for its time.

TEH-CJ said:
I thought it was a good idea to make this thread as the official thread is clutterd with online matching and posting this there would probably be left in the dust

"You thought" my ass :lol

Anyway, since the thread has been made, I'll add my two cents.

I would like to see Insomniac go balls out on monster designs and weapons. Resistance had great creatures like the Widowmakers, the angels and Titans, but it still felt like it could have been stretched a good deal further. One of the first impression blogs I read (behind closed doors demonstration at GDC I believe) mentioned giant scorpions scuttling towards the player, and I immediately thought of the leviathans from Deadlocked. Now, these monsters turned out to be crawlers and leapers, which while cool didn't quite fit the mental image I had conjured of these creatures. So more of that; winged, ten legged, rapidly crawling, you name it.

As for weapons, it feels wrong "complaining" about an arsenal as large, creative and fun to use as the arsenal in Resistance, but I do felt that the game lacked an ultra destructive super weapon. A RYNO of a more realistic variant, or some such. Resistance weapons are clever and deadly, but they do not feel as destructive as something as the mini-nukes from Ratchet.

Barnolde

Banned
Enemies should react more when being hit. Even HL2 has this problem.

Ken Master said:
Yeah... no.

4xAA helped the game a LOT, plus the huge scope and scale. I love the clean look of it so much.

SSM25 said:
thread ruined!!

that was fast

It can only ruin the thread if you allow for it to ruin the thread. Tackle his points and tear his argument apart (that's certainly not a difficult task), or ignore him.

Barnolde said:
Enemies should react more when being hit. Even HL2 has this problem.

Some level of dismemberment would probably help too. Nothing extreme, just the odd limp being shot off. It's going for M anyway, can as well take advantage of the rating and up the gore a tad.

TEH-CJ

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
"You thought" my ass :lol

Anyway, since the thread has been made, I'll add my two cents.

I would like to see Insomniac go balls out on monster designs and weapons. Resistance had great creatures like the Widowmakers, the angels and Titans, but it still felt like it could have been stretched a good deal further. One of the first impression blogs I read (behind closed doors demonstration at GDC I believe) mentioned giant scorpions scuttling towards the player, and I immediately thought of the leviathans from Deadlocked. Now, these monsters turned out to be crawlers and leapers, which while cool didn't quite fit the mental image I had conjured of these creatures. So more of that; winged, ten legged, rapidly crawling, you name it.

As for weapons, it feels wrong "complaining" about an arsenal as large, creative and fun to use as the arsenal in Resistance, but I do felt that the game lacked an ultra destructive super weapon. A RYNO of a more realistic variant, or some such. Resistance weapons are clever and deadly, but they do not feel as destructive as something as the mini-nukes from Ratchet.

LOL i fixed my original post :lol

The game needs to give you the sense that Nathan Hale is more than human.. and not just via his ability to heal.
higher jumping
rage mode powerup for multi-player

Multi-player needs to diminish its asymmetric aspects..
rage mode is ridiculous.. make this an earned power-up that is very limited
"human" side should play more like nathan hale

Customization

COLORS, COLORS, COLORS... quit with the stupid preset outfits, radios, and canteens... let players choose from the get go. Skilled play earns you ranks and "trophies" not new costumes. Also, Maintain military rank but also implement numbering system that is tied in directly into competitive performance, and not hours played and such.

Option to play as different types of aliens as well.. new "classes". Though keep class differences minimal.

Tags should be a thrown object that is not abundant, but cannot be shaken off... also ensure that they are limited on maps.

More maps that are scaled to be smaller.

VEHICLES ARE NEEDED!!!

Lan play/online splitscreen/"storied" co-op (similar to halo/haze)

Sorry... but limit the amount of weapons that can be held.

ONLINE CO-OP! I feel that is a must.

A more memorable hero character to play as, perhaps more personality.

Improved vehicle levels. The tank was a pretty standard affair and the jeep was cool but rather linear.

I don't think graphics even need to be mentioned. The graphics of the original are still great but they will obviously be able to improve them after having at least two PS3 games under their belt.

Give your allies some f'ing lines to read.

There was nothing that frustrated me more than being in the middle of nowhere, bumping into some allies and them joining your 'squad' without a single line of dialogue. No 'We're with you captain', 'we'll cover your back, let's go', 'smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast', nothing. It really took me out of the moment and made me feel I was playing a (rushed) game full of 0s and 1s.

marvelharvey said:
Give your allies some f'ing lines to read.

There was nothing that frustrated me more than being in the middle of nowhere, bumping into some allies and them joining your 'squad' without a single line of dialogue. No 'We're with you captain', 'we'll cover your back, let's go', 'smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast', nothing. It really took me out of the moment and made me feel I was playing a (rushed) game full of 0s and 1s.

ace.jpg

That'd also solve the memorable lead character dilemma

Wollan

Resistance's gameplay focus should be on speed, huge numbers of enemies and crazy weapons. I wouldn't mind Resistance 2 getting a bit more color just to further differentiate itself from KZ (Sony's other 1st party fps).

One of the biggest problems of the original game was a lack of musical identity. They really need a strong theme tune and they also need to shy a bit away from just traditional military anthems.

PSP Remote play. Watch/edit replays, spectate games, manage clan..etc from wherever.

I wouldn't mind some levels set in Scandinavia leading up to the Russian border.

Of course, graphics, stats tracking, multiplayer features, Home, ultra slick menus..etc, all that jazz needs to be taken further but that doesn't need to be said.

tanod

when is my burrito
There is a community rep and other Insomniac employees who have kept a close eye and been active in the very long Resistance thread. /thread

Wollan said:
wouldn't mind some levels set in Scandinavia leading up to the Russian border.

Indeed. Not enough games are set in our awesome environments. And Insomniac knows a thing or two about presenting snow and ice in a convincing manner, so that'd be a good fit.

The Jer

Online co-op.

Byakuya769 said:
VEHICLES ARE NEEDED!!!
More vehicle sequences in SP? Absolutely!!

vehicles in MP? no. keep vehicles out of my MP.
the no vehicles aspect of the game is one of my favorite things about MP.
And it keeps it unique. I've got a ton of other games I can play if I'm interested in vehicle combat.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
No More Video Cutscenes.

- In-game storytelling is where it's at. Stream the levels together. Make it feel like more of a cohesive world.

Barnolde

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Some level of dismemberment would probably help too. Nothing extreme, just the odd limp being shot off. It's going for M anyway, can as well take advantage of the rating and up the gore a tad.

Heh.

But yeah, do it like BiA, which does it very well, in a real subdued manner.

Concept17

Crisis said:
On. Line. Co. Op.

I sincerely hope Insomniac reads that.

I took me 4 tries to read that correctly. (one line coop, wtf? ohhhh...)

Anyway, Resistance was great, I just really hope they give Hale one hell of an epic battle this time around. I mean, the first story was great, but now it needs some 'omfg epic' moments. (like battles taking place in cities to the same scope as in R&C.) Insomniac seems to have the 'tons of things going on at once thing going on' and I really think they should push that to the max the second time around.

...split-screen online for sure. Its a must. Do it just like Warhawk. 2 players is fine, 4 is better. MP must stay at a minimum 40 players, and ranks should be expanded upon with 'better' customization. (colors, logos, lots of mix and match outfits)

Concept17

TONX said:
No More Video Cutscenes.

- In-game storytelling is where it's at. Stream the levels together. Make it feel like more of a cohesive world.

Not so sure about this. Cut-scenes I believe are good or bad simply based on the cut-scene themselves, and not in simply having or not having them.

Resistance had some pretty brief and boring cut-scenes. Some with a little more action and personality would be a great addition.

IzumiK

Banned
Isn't this like "Resistance 2 should take everything good from every FPS"?

We kind of wish that for all FPS don't we? But I actually like the story revolving around 1950s. And with the title "Resistance: Rise of Man" seemingly in place, it will probably be about the 1950s still.

The Jer

uummm...
first person platforming.

yes, I'm serious.

particularly unique first person platforming.
using the airovaters is awesome.
I got the whole Jumping Flash feel from it.
I want more of that.

tribal24

Banned
i want it to be a in the future with hale still alive and i want the charecter your playing trying to find hale to see if he can help him destroy the chimera. well thats the story i would want>.>

tanod

when is my burrito
IzumiK said:

They did that to some extent with the first game. Some would argue over whether that's a good or bad thing.

Before Halo 3, Resistance had THE premier online gaming experience for FPS games, bar none (beating even Halo 2).

The Jer

IzumiK said:

We kind of wish that for all FPS don't we?

no. not really. some things work really well in other FPS games, but I wouldn't want them in Resistance.

And I don't want every FPS to be the same. They need to be somewhat unique.

jjasper

I have a feeling that the game will still be set in the 50's or so but will be the humans invading Chimeran Europe so you won't be able to tell. Having it set in the future is stupid. It should be a continuous story.

-It has got to have a better soundtrack
-Online coop
-Hale should be the main guy still
-Add some humor to it like in the Fission cut scene in the extras
-Have the cut scenes seamless with the gameplay, no more of the fade to gray stuff after you beat a level.

Oneself

I'd like:
More of the same, but in a "Rachet&Clank" way
To know what's up after Resistance's ending
Vehicles in multiplayer
co-op online
60fps

Levels rather than sections. More colour in the enviorements especially the mp maps as they currenlty all look to similar. Remember it's a game and colour is good.

Better music. See Halo.

tribal24

Banned
its not that it needs color-_- its just need more colorful areas remember there is a war taking place. they maybe just need to add more chimerian territory

Rolf NB

Most of the suggestions in the OP are just absurd.
There's a story arc already playing out, in the 50s with Nathan Hale on earth. Live with it.
Particular lolz @ "Jungle" and "Chimera planet".

TEH-CJ

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Most of the suggestions in the OP are just absurd.
There's a story arc already playing out, in the 50s with Nathan Hale on earth. Live with it.
Particular lolz @ "Jungle" and "Chimera planet".

What wrong witht that ?

end of the day its a game and needs variety like that

The chimeran planet thing just doesn't make a lick of sense from a story perspective. I don't know about jungle (every damned game has a jungle in it now, and many of them do it really well too), but a deep forest environment would be hot. Again, bring it to Scandinavia (or Russia).

JB1981

No more load screens.

Killzone-esque post-processing. The engine needs it. It's too clean-looking for the kind of war-torn environment they're trying to create.

Online co-op.

PERSONALITY. Game needs characters. People we can root for and get invested in.

Less "directed" level design. I felt the heavy hand of the designers came into play way too much in some parts of the game.

Less twitch, more tactics. Speed is good. Keep the steady framerate.

HDR! Resistance has such flat lighting.

I'm tired.

Ken Masters said:
I knew someone would bring this up

yes that was impressive, but it's sad that the window breaking is the highlight of the game graphically

are you sure you dont have this game confused with Halo 3?

Top Bottom