• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Resistance 2 wishlist/suggestion thread*

Tieno

-Less cutscenes, they interrupted the game (and the flow) way too much.
-No slideshow cutscenes, took you out of the game more than more traditional methods: so either really good CG or in-engine or in-game.
-Instead of reading logs, do audio logs.

1st post/

I'm not sure I see a real need for Res2 until 2009 or early 2010. If we follow the Halo model (why not, seems to have worked well), then we can use Res2 as a showcase for the system later in its cycle. We have KZ2 early next year, and it seems like there's a new FPS announced daily. I'd prefer the talented devs over at Insomniac do something different (RTS anyone?) for their second PS3 game while KZ2 takes the "dark-color-schemed-FPS" role for '08. Personally, one FPS every 6 months is plenty (too much even) for me. I know I'm not alone in these sentiments.

Anyway, some thoughts on Resistance2 in late 2009:

-planes, trains, automobiles. Warhawk, like Battlefield before it, proves the value of vehicles in MP. Expansive maps allowing for more thoughtful strategy would help, too.
-more 'satisfying' death animations and sound effects, including dismemberment and skin tearing. I know we're fighting the ratings board, but I'd enjoy it.
-knife/bayonet kills. Stab, stab, stab!
-stretches of the single-player game without weapons (running missions, puzzle-solving, stealth, etc). Hand to hand could be fun.
-character creation tool/enemy creation tool. If Sony is serious about Web 2.0, these kinds of features will become standard. How great would it be to create an enemy in the tool and see it working in the game world, Spore-style? It could be limited to replacing standard enemies or it could be something more ambitious (take your creation online into MP).
-Online MP where human players spawn as SP enemies, UT Onslaught style.
-more RPG elements. It's nice to see a character grow significantly over the course of the game. I suspect something like Dark Sector has the right idea (who knows how that'll turn out though).
-cover system (after KZ2 and GeOW it'll be strange not to snuggle up against a concrete block)
-Finally (won't happen), 3rd person POV (gasp!).

/1st post

To those saying bring on the post processing effects, let me just say that I hate you. I found Resistance attractive in part due to its lack of such; there's a clean and clear aesthetic to it that I thought very appealing (and interestingly, that was one of the things I've really liked from what I've seen from Halo 3 so far, and based on the beta). The grimy, gritty filtered look fits Killzone 2 perfectly, but I'm not sure I would need Resistance to follow that path.

I think consistency is more important than anything, although unfortunately I wonder if it's even possible to achieve great consistency and great variety. I'm not sure I've seen a game with this level of variety that has actually been solid throughout, on a graphics level. More contrast, more light sources like signage and such, that'd be welcome.

Barnolde

Banned
jstevenson said:

Play this game and copy how the guns feel and how the enemies react and I will buy a PS3 with money from selling plasma
grenades
281530b.jpg

Seriously, no other games gets the shooting so right than this one, it's just perfect and is why this title shouldn't be relegated to the bargain bin where it would otherwise deserve to dwell.

Resistance's shooting just felt disconnected (like HL2, someone let Gabe know that you can't use the shotgun all the time and the SMG sucked), it wasn't satisfying to shoot a gun, most games fail at this, but if you're reading this, now is your chance at redemption.

The Chimera didn't seem to react at all to being shot and the guns were only somewhat satisfying to shoot, they certainly were creative enough, but that's what you folks are known for. It's so hard to describe online, but play that game and notice how shooting FEELS powerful and the enemies react in a slightly exaggerated manner (if RoboCop were a good game, it'd be UC: RR), which increases the fun factor ten-fold seeing them blown back after being hit.

fronn

Tieno said:
-Less cutscenes, they interrupted the game (and the flow) way too much.
-No slideshow cutscenes, took you out of the game more than more traditional methods: so either really good CG or in-engine or in-game.
-Instead of reading logs, do audio logs.

More or less agree... especially with the Audio logs -- I really liked the audio logs in Bioshock.

fronn said:
More or less agree... especially with the Audio logs -- I really liked the audio logs in Bioshock.

Would that actually make sense in this universe though? Rapture is a place of sophistication, so I can buy that every other citizen sits around and yaps into a golden tape recorder, but here, those written papers made a lot of sense.

Then again, monsters, VTOLs and intelligent hailstorm weapons... I guess audio recordings wouldn't necessarily be pushing the boundaries of realism in this particular game.

Orobi said:
More BIG BIG BIG monsters!

Indeed. Giant GIANT insectoid buggers, no less.

fronn

AltogetherAndrews said:
Would that actually make sense in this universe though? Rapture is a place of sophistication, so I can buy that every other citizen sits around and yaps into a golden tape recorder, but here, those written papers made a lot of sense.

Then again, monsters, VTOLs and intelligent hailstorm weapons... I guess audio recordings wouldn't necessarily be pushing the boundaries of realism in this particular game.
Someway for it to read it to you would be nice -- was kind of lame to stop playing and sit there reading the stuff sometimes. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same exact mechanic, just have some way to hear it instead of just reading it.

Tieno

AltogetherAndrews said:

You can make them more believable by having them as taped back-and-forth communication between people, especially where they are scientific reports. I still want them to do that art they did for those logs you found.
A bit suspension of disbelief, but I think it'd add more character and life to the world.

Proelite said:
Resistance threw 100 chimerans on screen?

Not that many, but there were a lot of them in some scenes. I guess this was one of the things that made a lot of us shake our heads when people claimed that it wasn't much of a tech showcase, when you consider how much it processed in a single scene; large amounts of enemies, weapons (including smart weapons with real physics properties like the Hailstorm or the hedgehog grenades) effects and ambient effects in quite large battlegrounds, all without chugging.

More importantly, there were a lot of different types; one scene in particular threw a ton of chimera grunts, two stalkers (spider mechs) and a bloody widowmaker at you.
On that topic, one thing worth noting is the corpse stay feature. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but leaving droves of dead bodies is really quite satisfying.

Sorry for the "rant", I'm having a second crush on the game right now. :lol

Ceb

The game is probably going to feature a lot of Cloven, going by journal entries with descriptions and even a picture of their leader. So please, try to make them live up to the gritty image that's been established. I'm not a gorehound, but we need "meaner" horror elements in Resistance 2. When the Gray Jacks attacked soldiers in R1, they should've been allowed to pop their heads like melons.

Focus on keeping the varied levels. If the game's still set in Europe, I guess we'll be seeing a lot more snowy environments this time. To keep things fresh, for outdoor settings, give us more unique-looking art direction like the sickly yellow-ish tint of Nottingham. I second, err, third the recommendation for some Scandinavian levels leading up to Russia. Less "been-there-done-that" than going through the Romanian or Ukrainian countryside. And just to express my personal wish, I really hope the game would separate itself from R1 and make the final level set in Alaska... during summer, with absolutely no snow at all. I think we'll be sick of it by then. :lol Seeing the Chimera about to expand into North America would be a nice teaser for Resistance 3.

I agree with the need for a new musical theme. The ambient tracks in Resistance were good, so maybe build up some more layers to them with strings (for example). Think early Resident Evil games. The JAG-style military music that often played between missions is too generic.

Don't be afraid to keep some of the old weapons. If there's tons of ideas for great new stuff, fine, but then at least make them available to pick up on the second time through.

And yes, better hit reactions like in Killzone (or hell, Goldeneye. Talk about being before its time). Being able to shoot off cooling tubes in R1 was a nice start.

Make the bigger creatures more intimidating and scary. Kinda like when you meet the gargantua in the first Half-Life.

Good point. Couldn't hurt to at least spice things up with SOME audio recordings. :)

Rolf NB

As I'm playing another version of it again right now, it comes naturally for me to wuv how the narrative is implemented in Resident Evil 4: multi-page text logs with relatively little text per screen but nice art to accompany it (photos 'n'shit). The backdrop art might change every three pages for particularly long logs.
And the radio transmission stuff is a good way to attach some character to the character, if that's something desirable (Nathan Hale didn't speak a single word so far IIRC). Video chat is kinda unfitting for the timeframe, but maybe show Nathan while he talks/listens to someone over a walkie-talkie or something while still walking around/standing amidst some friendlies in one or two scenes.
Radio chatter is also a great opportunity to cut to some other place in the game world, maybe show that the person on the other end is not alone durr durr for dramatic effect.

Proelite

Oh yeah, make the setting in Japan, and have the Imperial Japanese army battling the chimera with Katanas while allied with Resistance forces in China. This will surely get the Japanese to play fpses.

f@luS

More than a member.
FSAA
30fps rock solid
Dedicated server

oh wait.....resistance 1 already have that? ..... :p

Since Ratchet showed what their updated engine is capable off, here is what i think could make R2 head and shoulders above the first one and the competition :

Technical aspects :
60 fps => this is a must. don't tell me 30 fps is good enough. Trust COD4 devs. 60 fps is the way to go. Less and i'lll be disappointed.
Animation : KZ2 raised the bar extremely high. we can't have anymore aliens/humans being shot in an unrealistic manner. Get this tech from Guerilla.
Keep 40 people online : it was plenty enough.
Textures : you said it. the difference between Gears of War and R1 was the fact that you had no texture streaming. Go for it, and make proper textures.
Drawing distance : keep it large, especially outdoor.
Loading : get this from Uncharted or Haze : do not have any loading between levels or ever.
1080p : could you achieve all above in priority and it it fits, go for 1080p sharpness.

Artistic direction
Environments : according to all, you're much better designers of SF location that real and uninspiring ones. Go for mad and SF architecture all the way. B
Aliens design : sorry, but your aliens / mutants were not that well done. Maybe it was due to their animation, but they were too human like for the most part. Make them more freaky and terrifying.

The game itself
Weapons : continue with weapons. make them crazy and fun. and tons of.
Length : it would be good to have 15h gameplay for single player. Your game should Take 50GB on the blu-ray.
Multiplayer : 4x multiplayer/co-op, in any combination (offline/online). Get this from Warhawk.
Plot : get a scenarist from Holliwood or a good writer. The story must be very complex and passionnating.
Characters : beef up the story background with personnal facts about the hero and introduce secondary characters that have a lot a charisma.

Anyway, good luck for the sequel. and remember : after KZ2, Halo3, Unreal tournament 3, Call of duty 4, Haze, etc., the bar will have raised to super high level when your game will be released.

natureman3 said:
Technical aspects :
60 fps => this is a must. don't tell me 30 fps is good enough. Trust COD4 devs. 60 fps is the way to go. Less and i'lll be disappointed.

It is enough, basically every high profile FPS runs at that framerate now. The only 2 genres where 60fps is still what people expect a game to run at are racing games and fighting games. Other than that 30fps very much is the framerate that's seen as acceptable. Other games might go for 60fps, but they're few and far between.

glaurung

Something that would spruce up the game would be modifiable or upgradeable weapons (Ratchet and Clank style) and some other equipment that you could peruse at will - stuff like goggles highlighting enemies, seeing enemy silhouettes through thin walls, ability to shoot out/disable light sources, some melee arsenal, more vehicles to operate and more often and a deeper background to all the missions - something like a PDA diary that can play sound clips and video and store your statistics.

glaurung

Bojanglez said:
Set it in 1950's America

Should the trilogy idea work out, then Hale will have to trod through Europe and Siberia in the second part.

The third part would be set in
America, where the Chimera were engineered and set loose in the first place.

bluheim

Banned
natureman3 said:
Aliens design : sorry, but your aliens / mutants were not that well done. Maybe it was due to their animation, but they were too human like for the most part. Make them more freaky and terrifying.

Could this be due to the fact that they actually are humans ?

Beside this, I agree on almost everything you said about what needs to be improved. I'll add open ended end non linear environments, of course.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
glaurung said:
Should the trilogy idea work out, then Hale will have to trod through Europe and Siberia in the second part.

The third part would be set in
America, where the Chimera were engineered and set loose in the first place.

Why would he be in Europe and Siberia, didn't the
Americans pick him up and take him home at the end?

I would also like to see humans use the Chimeran technology to visit their Planet (if they have one) to kill off the threat completely. I think it would have to be set at least 10 years on from the first in order for that to be credible.

glaurung

Bojanglez said:
Why would he be in Europe and Siberia, didn't the
American's pick him up and take him home at the end?

I would also like to see humans use the Chimeran technology to visit their Planet (if they have one) to kill off the threat completely. I think it would have to be set at least 10 years on from the first in order for that to be credible.

They did, it's just that the only possible insertion point would be in Europe for the second game. Sculpting those tiny Polish villages is just too much of a temptation for Insomniac.

Wollan

Why do you assume
back to America? They could just as well have brought him to a small base on the other side of the hill for what we know.

Tieno

natureman3 said:
The game itself
Weapons : continue with weapons. make them crazy and fun. and tons of.
Length : it would be good to have 15h gameplay for single player. Your game should Take 50GB on the blu-ray.
Multiplayer : 4x multiplayer/co-op, in any combination (offline/online). Get this from Warhawk.
Plot : get a scenarist from Holliwood or a good writer. The story must be very complex and passionnating.
Characters : beef up the story background with personnal facts about the hero and introduce secondary characters that have a lot a charisma.

Anyway, good luck for the sequel. and remember : after KZ2, Halo3, Unreal tournament 3, Call of duty 4, Haze, etc., the bar will have raised to super high level when your game will be released.
What? No! Simple yet effective and well-executed story please. FPS like Resistance aren't really suited for complex stories cause the action makes it harder to pay attention.
Then again, what is a 'very complex' story anyway?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
glaurung said:
They did, it's just that the only possible insertion point would be in Europe for the second game. Sculpting those tiny Polish villages is just too much of a temptation for Insomniac.

Plus it would give the art team an excuse for a big piss-up in various Eastern European cities at the companies expense. I think it would be cool to be set there but I think a lot of people would want a slightly more vibrant environment.

Tieno

Wollan said:
Are you kidding? The cut scenes in Resistance are relatively brief already.
But there were too many and they interrupted the game too often for my taste.

I'd like to know what the total running time is of all the cutscenes combined.

Rolf NB

Tieno said:
But there were too many and they interrupted the game too often for my taste.
Your taste is broken.
The only place where a cut-scene interrupted gameplay was in the snow level where you had to fight the widowmaker all alone in that dome thing.
There wasn't so much of a cut-scene problem, more a level-transitioning problem. Between the slide-shows, people acting, area pans and fade-outs, it was kinda wonky and inconsistent, yes, but it shirley wasn't too much.

I used to be a 60 fps whore, but 30 fps with some subtle motion blur, done well, can look just as good, and gives the game a much more cinematic vibe.

Just make the story better, other than that, do what Insomniac does best. :D

zallaaa

TEH-CJ said:
*AltogetherAndrews * idea for this thread

it a good idea to make this thread as the official thread is clutterd with online matching and posting this there would probably be left in the dust ha

Suggestions will be updated

- No more 1950 setting as i feel its restricting insomniac to be more creative in level design, plus the setting is really drab,

- Online 4 player CO OP!

- Limited to 3 weapons

- take place in the future

- More colour!

- Bigger wow moments and set peices

- again no more 1950 setting...

- have missions where we invade the chimera planet

- more oomph with the weapons

- better animations

- 3 hit mellee combos

- more fleshed out story

- vehicle combat, including Air, ground and even sea? also would be great if your allies could control vehicles in real time

- more open ended enviroments

- better grenade explosions

- better physics

- no more linear enviroments

- your allies able to frag enemies with grenades (this wasn't included in res 1)

- your allies able to use other weapons

- lush enviroments, Forest, jungle etc

- more epic battles

- better graphics and textures , shaders, dynamic lighting , self shadowing, HDR, post processing.

- Better hit detection and enemies reacting to bullets , aka killzone 2

- Better custimisation / able to choose different alien types , more colours! etc

- a strong theme tune and also need to shy a bit away from just traditional military anthems.

- PSP Remote play. Watch/edit replays, spectate games, manage clans

- No More Video Cutscenes.

- In-game storytelling . Stream the levels together. Make it feel like more of a cohesive world.

- More memorable hero

- No more load screens

- Characters need more personality

- Less "directed" level design. I felt the heavy hand of the designers came into play way too much in some parts of the game.

- screenshot taking ability at any time

- replay feature

- Improved vehicle physics

- Sprint in Single player

- More chimeran droships deploying troops! shit like that is awesome and epic

- More/ biggers bosses

- More enemy variety + more agressive enemies

- More battle chatter

- Gibs , more releastic gore and blood splatter

- Keyboard mouse support

- Better/ scarier chimera design

- Meatier gun SFX

is there something you liked?

Doc Evils

Copy Killzone 2 and use the first person cover system.

you're first party so it wouldn't matter. :p

I would also like a more natural envirmoent where vehicles can be used rather than selected levels. I.E driving a jeep in and around a village.

dalin80

Banned
better texture in the opening levels, resistance got hit in the reviews because it started off a bit 'meh', have resistance 2 start with the god of all levels.

better shadows, many of the shadows in game seem to be painted on textures.

better light sources, i thought the day of invincible light bulb died in the 90's?

heavier kick to weapons.

optional toggle-crouch.

Wollan said:
Are you kidding? The cut scenes in Resistance are relatively brief already.

I think one of the problems RFOM was that the transistions from gameplay to cut scenes were often jarring. It's not that the cut scenes were too abundant or too long, but the transitions took the player out of the immersion that the gameplay was so succesful at creating.

I'd like to see them tweak the checkpoint system for 2.

I hope they don't go texture or post processing crazy in the next installment. I love how the first two insomniac games have a distinct aesthitic due to their engine. I'd hate for resistance to start looking like a normal mapped UE3 clone. Focus on throwing a ridiculous number of polys on screen with crazy physics.

The Jer

Wollan said:
Why do you assume
back to America? They could just as well have brought him to a small base on the other side of the hill for what we know.

ya, but,
we know that the chimera have underground stuctures in the U.S. as well. In places like Nevada. And they are really making out the current president to be pretty untrustworthy, controlling, and stuff (fake 1950s presisdent, I'm pretty sure they kept one of the Roosevelts from being elected and this guy has served more than two terms). So... they've really put alot in to that story already, so they could just roll with it.

tha_con

Banned
Wow...I was JUST thinking of making a thread like this. Fucking crazy.

I say, 2 player co-op a must, 4 player co-op a nice addition.

Top Bottom