• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Resistance 2 wishlist/suggestion thread*

I only want a few things, and since the gameplay bits will be taken care of by Imsomniac themselves :

- Much more impressive graphics. More effects, explosions, color to the environments. More everything, make the game an impressive marvel to look at.

- BETTER CUTSCENES!! Those were incredibly shitty, make them much more dramatic, with better camera work, script and have Hale talk for god's sake. Who the fuck likes avatars instead of actual characters?? Oh nevermind, americans do, but please, add some character to Nathan...

Concept17

TEH-CJ said:
I have no idea but they had to come from somewhere!

we dont really know where the chimera are from .

This was my favorite aspect of the first one. The chimera really had more personality than Hale in that they were thoroughly introduced at the same pace as the humans were learning about them.

tanod

when is my burrito
TEH-CJ said:
What wrong witht that ?

end of the day its a game and needs variety like that

I don't remember them ever saying in the game or otherwise that the Chimera were aliens. Did I just blow your mind?!?!!? :p

It's a big part of the story arc not knowing the origin of the Chimera or exactly what the hell they were trying to do in London at the end of the game. But, there's also the whole "American citizens don't even know that the war with the Chimera is happening because of the isolationist American government" arc or the "who the fuck are the cloven" arc or the "why are the american special forces after Hale" arc or "why did hale survive" arc or "how is Hale going to evolve next" arc.

Yeah, so Resistance 2 can't get hear soon enough. So many unanswered questions from the first game that desperately need to get answered.

RobertM

They need to improve the MP, it's cool and all, but really would like some depth. Maps with objectives would be awesome: break through barriers to get an item, plan a bomb, etc.

TEH-CJ

Banned
tanod said:
I don't remember them ever saying in the game or otherwise that the Chimera were aliens. Did I just blow your mind?!?!!? :p

It's a big part of the story arc not knowing the origin of the Chimera or exactly what the hell they were trying to do in London at the end of the game. But, there's also the whole "American citizens don't even know that the war with the Chimera is happening because of the isolationist American government" arc or the "who the fuck are the cloven" arc or the "why are the american special forces after Hale" arc or "why did hale survive" arc or "how is Hale going to evolve next" arc.

Yeah, so Resistance 2 can't get hear soon enough. So many unanswered questions from the first game that desperately need to get answered.

Yea true you have a point :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It'd also be nice to have a lot more open spaces. The jeep drive through the several stations (Cheddar Gorge) was the best part of the game...chaotic, amazing, fun, everything. Heck, you guys are making me want to replay the game again now. :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
TEH-CJ said:

they're bugs, like a germ almost.

oh yah the game HAS to be set in the 50s, i'll be pissed otherwise, fill in the blanks of the cloven/black ops, if anybody cared to pay attention the story/intel it's VERY interesting, and the ending with
nathan pulls out the grenade surrounded by black ops awesome

my wishlist? First off this game was NO xbox game. It had countless enemies on screen, all of which had great detail. Truth be told the environments were bland but massive, the character models were very impressive, gun models were great, but it was very flat. They had no texture streaming though, it'll definitely be fixed this go around.

other things to include- more use of vehicles, add those in online for some maps too.

more kickass weapons and enemies, if they can match the first then amazing, if they pass that I'll be blown away.

more chimeran based areas, very interesting things goin on in there. Also more bosses would be great.

online new modes, get rid of meltdown I'm so sick of it. Keep CTF, get some more ideas for team based stuff.

Steroyd

TEH-CJ said:

All we know is that the Chimera
are a Viral infection altering Humans, the Cloven were the ones to goad the Chimera into attacking Europe sit back and watch, for all we know the Cloven could have manufactured the Chimera and the Cloven are the ones from another planet.

Rolf NB

TEH-CJ said:
What wrong witht that ?

end of the day its a game and needs variety like that
The logical next step, story-wise, is to work outwards from the UK and liberate other portions of Europe/Northern Africa/Russia. I don't think rain forests can factor into that plausibly. And it's probably too early to bring the smack home to wherever the Chimera come from. It'll surely be a trilogy at least, and nuking the enemy home planet in chapter 2 would kill it too early.

Large, open outdoors environments with no buildings make for incredibly dull on-foot missions (jeep section in RFOM was a great level in its own right, but that was because you had the jeep to cover all that space quickly). Something needs to be there, at least some artificial cover, walls, towers, bridges etc.

Sub-urban settings are simply the safest bet for good, varied, flowing level designs. See: RFOM. Maybe throw in a farm or two, but forests are usually bad bad bad whenever they happen in games (and yes, I've played Medal Of Honor). A large part of that is that people are exceptionally bad at telling one tree from another. It's disorienting, unless it's highly artificial and directed/funneled, and that's in turn immersion's quick death. It's like this "larger more open levels" wish. You may dream of it a little, but you really don't want to play a large, open, undirected level. This is an fps franchise, not Grand Theft Auto. If there's no next goal, what drives you forward? If there are four different next paths, would you be happy with just exploring one? Would Insomniac be happy blowing so resources on alternate routes that statistically isn't even seen by most players?

Just let Insomniac do their jobs. They demonstrated that they have what it takes to build a great fps, it's their IP, they set it up well for continuation so we might want to believe they already had a plan on how to continue, story/setting-wise.

huuuuuuge levels (in multiplayer) with vehicles. I know many people would hate this, but I am a big fan of multiplayer games with vehicles.

I actually would like the game to be set in the future so they could go even more crazy with weapons.

tanod

when is my burrito
Steroyd said:
All we know is that the Chimeran Hybrids
are a Viral infection altering Humans

fixed.

Also, I was pretty sure I read in the game that the Cloven were
Russian and human albeit slightly self-deformed
Another interesting tidbit that needs to get answered:
The War of the Worlds type unearthing of those towers.
That was one of my OMG, there is so much more to this game's story than I ever expected there to be when I bought it.

TEH-CJ

Banned
bcn-ron said:
The logical next step, story-wise, is to work outwards from the UK and liberate other portions of Europe/Northern Africa/Russia. I don't think rain forests can factor into that plausibly. And it's probably too early to bring the smack home to wherever the Chimera come from. It'll surely be a trilogy at least, and nuking the enemy home planet in chapter 2 would kill it too early.

Large, open outdoors environments with no buildings make for incredibly dull on-foot missions (jeep section in RFOM was a great level in its own right, but that was because you had the jeep to cover all that space quickly). Something needs to be there, at least some artificial cover, walls, towers, bridges etc.

Sub-urban settings are simply the safest bet for good, varied, flowing level designs. See: RFOM. Maybe throw in a farm or two, but forests are usually bad bad bad whenever they happen in games (and yes, I've played Medal Of Honor). A large part of that is that people are exceptionally bad at telling one tree from another. It's disorienting, unless it's highly artificial and directed/funneled, and that's in turn immersion's quick death. It's like this "larger more open levels" wish. You may dream of it a little, but you really don't want to play a large, open, undirected level. This is an fps franchise, not Grand Theft Auto. If there's no next goal, what drives you forward? If there are four different next paths, would you be happy with just exploring one? Would Insomniac be happy blowing so resources on alternate routes that statistically isn't even seen by most players?

Just let Insomniac do their jobs. They demonstrated that they have what it takes to build a great fps, it's their IP, they set it up well for continuation so we might want to believe they already had a plan on how to continue, story/setting-wise.

excellent post and i agree

but im talking more like sandbox type levels aka halo

i think thats part of what made halo so succesful and rightly so because its awesome to have freedom on a map with lots of chaos

thats what i think anyways :p

Treo360

Get rid of the fact that I can carry more than 3 weapons (I think the side arm should be mandatory)

Get rid of cut scenes?

Hell no, keep them and for the love of all that is great, use them to actually advance the story instead of me having to hunt dossiers of information. Make me want to associate with the main character, be him something. I felt this was sorely lacking in the first.

Madman

I'll start by saying they should not change a lot. Improve on what is there.

Other than that:

Have a Chimeran city.

Vehicle specific, on foot specific online maps.

Lots of enemies. Both types of and amount on screen.

Split screen online.

General improvements(increased framerate, better graphics in general, more weapons, ect.)

Proelite

I have not yet played Resistance.

However, the below would be nice for any fps.

100+ enemies on screen, preferabbly 50 vs 150 battles
4 player coop split screen and online
64 player online with bots
matchmaking
extensive stat incoportation like b.net
10 hour long sp on normal mode
screenshot taking ability at any time
12 mp maps out of the box
vehicles
huge sandbox

tanod

when is my burrito
Proelite said:
I have not yet played Resistance.

By your list that's obvious.

100+ enemies on screen, preferably 50 vs 150 battles - closer to achieving it than any console game
4 player coop split screen and online
64 player online with bots - closer to achieving it than any console game
matchmaking - has it
extensive stat incoportation like b.net - the only console game that's close to it
10 hour long sp on normal mode - has it
screenshot taking ability at any time
12 mp maps out of the box - has it
vehicles
huge sandbox - depends on the level, it's all about the weapon strategy

As far as online player counts and bots on consoles, I think UT3 might be the new standard bearer but I'm not sure what the final player limits will be.

Proelite

tanod said:
By your list that's obvious.

As far as online player counts and bots on consoles, I think UT3 might be the new standard bearer but I'm not sure what the final player limits will be.
Resistance threw 100 chimerans on screen?

TEH-CJ said:
- Limited to 3 weapons

Hell no! The best part of Resistance's gameplay is the fact that you can approch fights from a ton of different angles because you always carry around such a variety of weapons.

The restriction on weapon capacity was one of the worst things to happen to single-player FPS

The Jer

Don't worry. They won't limit the weapons. That'd be preposterous.

What's the point of all the cool weapons in the game (that are, often times, situational) if you can't use them, since you'd have to keep the standard assualt rifles with you at all times.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i didn't really like the vehicle sequences. if they can improve them and make them not feel like they're huge, bulky, and unwieldly, then maybe i'll be okay with them.

online co-op would be nice.

keep the "keep all the weapons you find" thing

50, 60, 70+ people in one multiplayer game. and allow it to be on a small level so everyone is right on top of each other :D

use all the weapons in single player in multiplayer

SPRINT IN SINGLE PLAYER

Wollan

The Jeep controls need to be refined, that's true (the tank though is a-ok). Really, don't be ashamed to borrow the Halo vehicle controls.

Rolf NB

TEH-CJ said:
excellent post and i agree

but im talking more like sandbox type levels aka halo

i think thats part of what made halo so succesful and rightly so because its awesome to have freedom on a map with lots of chaos

thats what i think anyways :p
I thought the jeep section and the bunker assault (outside) already were quite Good-Moments-In-Haloish, in pace and scope. I wouldn't want to have those ultra-repetetive indoor borefests and pointless long-range trudges though, so I think the design loans should stop there. It's not really shit, but let's be honest here. There's nothing good left to copy.
Treo360 said:
Get rid of the fact that I can carry more than 3 weapons (I think the side arm should be mandatory)
That's a bad idea. You might think it's a good idea if you can't figure out how to efficiently swap weapons on a standard controller, but Resistance has already done it, and done it well.
Treo360 said:
Get rid of cut scenes?
Hell no.
But,
The transitions out of the levels into the cut-scenes were really bad. I don't want to see any more fade-outs plz. If control is taken away from me, do it in a cinematic fashion. Cut immediately out of first-person view and show Hale run/do/talk. Do not just leave the player hanging. RFOM already did it in some levels, but I'm really poor at remembering the names :(
I think it was the one directly before the jeep section, where you get the Hailstorm for the first time and fight the wall-crawlers. At the end it just cuts into that cut-scene where Hale enters the house and meets the seargent or whatever.
Try to replace every single instance of fade-out with a scene like that.

(well actually the fade-out where Hale first
gets infected
makes sense, because he actually faints)

TEH-CJ

Banned
Wollan said:
The Jeep controls need to be refined, that's true (the tank though is a-ok). Really, don't be ashamed to borrow the Halo vehicle controls.

Yup exactly

halo vehicle physics and controls are pretty much perfect.

TEH-CJ

Banned
bcn-ron said:
I thought the jeep section and the bunker assault (outside) already were quite Good-Moments-In-Haloish, in pace and scope. I wouldn't want to have those ultra-repetetive indoor borefests and pointless long-range trudges though, so I think the design loans should stop there. It's not really shit, but let's be honest here. There's nothing good left to copy.

True

but the only thing that was missing in that level was chimera vehicles , and your allies in there own jeep making for a really epic battle,

that level was huge and it only had you in it..kinda felt empty so to speak.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I liked the 1950s setting, so i hope they stick with something along those lines. I also like the gritty look it had. I'd probably like more variety in the enemies and perhaps better A.I. Why didn't the chinerma used the tags on the bullseye?

fronn

I don't understand why people don't like the video cutscenes? they were just recorded in engine to speed up loading by a lot (quicker to play a video and load useful stuff in the background than try to do it realtime while loading in the background). It isn't as if there was much of a difference (I don't recall any, but I haven't played through the single player campaign in months), so what's the problem? If you didn't know it was a video it wouldn't matter.

Wollan said:
I don't really care for the Halo vehicle controls but I wouldn't mind them. The Jeep needed more realistic suspension IMO. Both The Tank and Stalker controlled really smoothly. I especially liked how when you pressed X on the Stalker you could do a quick dash.

I'd like to see a couple more realistic weapons like the machine gun with the rocket launcher which was awesome. I liked the Bullseye as well because of the *tag* mechanic. The Bullseye should really return since by the end of the game you get the upgraded blue bullseye.

Some of the weapons weren't that cool.... That blob shooter was kind of useless. The double handguns were kind of cheesy. PUT IN A ZOOM Animation When Hitting R3

I liked the destructible barriers more of those all over the place would be nice. More vehicle sequences are welcomed of course. The level where you take the Jeep to each of the Chimera's bases was fun because it forced you to get in and out of the jeep.

Online Co-op would be fun. Vehicles online would be really cool too.

Some of the levels were a little too long. Like sometimes I want to play the levels with vehicles but your forced to play like 30 min. + until you get there.

Gahhhh I gotta play through the whole game again and get back to this thread in a week or so...

Have the guys from Evolution Studios come over and code the vehicle sections =D

302015155_95eb3bede6.jpg

soco

i would say rework the story a bit. i like the idea, but the actual story that ended up being told in the first one kinda bored me to tears. perhaps they just need to structure the presentation in the game a bit differently. i never felt attached to the character, which i believe made me care less about what was going on. it really seemed to be lacking a lot of drive and motivation other than the typical.

davepoobond said:
50, 60, 70+ people in one multiplayer game. and allow it to be on a small level so everyone is right on top of each other :D
What? :lol

davepoobond said:
SPRINT IN SINGLE PLAYER
Thats a good idea.

I gotta say that I really like how Insomniac used the L2 trigger for sprinting and crouching. It doesn't sound like it would work, but it does! :D
Mammothtank said:
Have the guys from Evolution Studios come over and code the vehicle sections =D

302015155_95eb3bede6.jpg
HAHa Exactly!

Like I said in my post above the Jeep lacked suspension. It felt really stiff.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
soco said:
i would say rework the story a bit. i like the idea, but the actual story that ended up being told in the first one kinda bored me to tears. perhaps they just need to structure the presentation in the game a bit differently. i never felt attached to the character, which i believe made me care less about what was going on. it really seemed to be lacking a lot of drive and motivation other than the typical.

Yeah, the story involved too much heavy lifting from the player to really make sense out of it. It'd be nice to have some in-game story elements too.

davepoobond

Proelite said:
Worst idea ever.

how sweet would it be to kill 20 people in one rocket blast??

there should also be a Civil War multiplayer style -- everyone lines up in a row and starts shooting one round a minute and can't move from their spot. it'd be like red rover but better

davepoobond said:
how sweet would it be to kill 20 people in one rocket blast??

there should also be a Civil War multiplayer style -- everyone lines up in a row and starts shooting one round a minute and can't move from their spot. it'd be like red rover but better
:lol

Norml

I would like-

Better gfx
Pistols of all sorts,and knives.
The Backlash grenade (buble shield) should be in multiplayer.
Land Air and Sea vehicles for single and multiplayer.
Vegetation destruction like Crysis.
Parashutes and ejection seats in multiplayer.
A cover system, like MOH.
Replay/pic save feature.

+ much more:lol

davepoobond

Norml said:
I would like-

Better gfx
Pistols of all sorts,and knives.
The Backlash grenade (buble shield) should be in multiplayer.
Land Air and Sea vehicles for single and multiplayer.
Vegetation destruction like Crysis.
Parashutes and ejection seats in multiplayer.
A cover system, like MOH.
Replay/pic save feature.

+ much more:lol

that's what i'm talkin about

and when you die in the Civil War multiplayer game, you launch into the air and then blow up

Rolf NB

It would be so rad if everybody in a multiplayer game could expand a parachute while running on the ground, so you can have strategically limited movement and get stuck in other players. Or walls! Rawr!

Top Bottom