• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Resistance 2 wishlist/suggestion thread*

Treo360

theBishop said:
I agree with you somewhat on the cutscenes. I don't like the way it fades out once you cross some invisible marker. However, Halo3 does pretty much the same thing, except the black letterbox bars come in and the transition is less jarring. Both games should do more to convey the story interactively. Resistance does some with NPC voices and the dossiers. Halo3 does NPCs as well as some odd Cortana interruptions. I wouldn't want to see either go the total Bioshock/HalfLife route, but there's a lot more they could be doing.

I don't relate at all to your impressions of the gameplay
. I absolutely loved how the game transitions from large-scale squad battles like the one in Manchester to the almost survival-horror sections in the underground tunnels. I found the level design to be more clear than in any Halo game (including 3) without being overly simplistic. And the weapons are untouchable.

It's because I haven't given any examples of the gameplay:lol Nor can't I at this point as it's been well over 5 months since I've played it, but once I put it down I didn't feel like picking it up again, even playing online (which was buttery smooth) just couldn't draw me back into the fold.

You're right the Halo series would almost always letterbox you into a cutscene, but that was fine. The fade outs sucked in Resistance, but that's something that will be fixed in the next iteration (right?) I will take a more wait and see approach the second time around, and perhaps rent it first next time.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Treo360 said:
It's because I haven't given any examples of the gameplay:lol Nor can't I at this point as it's been well over 5 months since I've played it, but once I put it down I didn't feel like picking it up again, even playing online (which was buttery smooth) just couldn't draw me back into the fold.

You're right the Halo series would almost always letterbox you into a cutscene, but that was fine. The fade outs sucked in Resistance, but that's something that will be fixed in the next iteration (right?) I will take a more wait and see approach the second time around, and perhaps rent it first next time.

Thats cool everyone has different taste :)

however just curious did you play the game on superhuman ?

thats the way resistance should be played.

awesome AI is an understatment .

Treo360

TEH-CJ said:
Thats cool everyone has different taste :)

however just curious did you play the game on superhuman ?

thats the way resistance should be played.

awesome AI is an understatment .

Good lord, I don't know, if that's the unlocked difficulty then yes, however not for too long, I felt as if I was trying to force myself to like the game, and I know the exact reason why now;

Halo.

I kept comparing it to Halo, which was my first console FPS

Edit (okay not really the first, as Alien Vs Predator then Doom took that crown on the ill fated jaguar)

there was something about the story (though cliched) that caught me. The presentation also hooked me, being the semi-casual that I am, I have always been a sucker for cut scenes, it was my reward for beating a level, it helped advance the story, and at times it served as a rallying tool to get me pumped for the next mission.

Resistance failed on that part for me, it turned some of the story elements into a semi fetch quest, laughably enough it made me work for it, I'm a casual, I don't want to do the work, I don't want to decipher morse code (although I applaud them for doing so) I want my elaborate cut scenes, I want my big ass explosions etc.

Resistance has the hooks, I just hope that it catches me the next time around. Remember there are far more casuals than there are Hardcore gamers out there.

To offer my own completely baseless theory here, while playing Resistance it felt as if Insomniac was sometimes deliberately "holding back". I don't mean in terms of weapons or story, but in terms of sheer battle craziness. Looking at Deadlocked, which is really the closest reference here, that game would throw all sorts of insanity at you at any given time. Got a leviathan to deal with? Take another, and deal with these other beastlies while you're at it.
The closest you will come to that in Resistance is the point where you're brutalized by hybrids, stalkers and widowmakers during the same extended battle. Well, there are some more intense battles further along, but that's a memorable one. Anyway, as wicked as that fight was, it still felt deliberately limited. A widowmaker is a nice enemy to fight, but imagine that scene with a titan or two, and then a big bad mama widowmaker XXXL as a finale. Or barring that, just some added screen flair in the form of overhead support being chomped down by some gnarly beast from hell. Or some such.

So it felt a bit conservative, and my uneducated guess is that it's the result of Insomniac maybe being overly careful not to come through as too cartoony. But when you do something so well, maybe you should just say screw conventions and go all out. Other games will take any opportunity to play the epic and/or nutty battle card, and I think Resistance easily had the components to do so. Maybe I'm wrong though, just a feeling I get from playing it.

edit: again though, it feels bad complaining about a lack of craziness and intensity when it certainly performs well above the norm. It just lacks that extra push that'd make some scenes go from "damn, that's cool" to "holy god damned did that just happen"-cool.

TEH-CJ

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
To offer my own completely baseless theory here, while playing Resistance it felt as if Insomniac was sometimes deliberately "holding back". I don't mean in terms of weapons or story, but in terms of sheer battle craziness. Looking at Deadlocked, which is really the closest reference here, that game would throw all sorts of insanity at you at any given time. Got a leviathan to deal with? Take another, and deal with these other beastlies while you're at it.
The closest you will come to that in Resistance is the point where you're brutalized by hybrids, stalkers and widowmakers during the same extended battle. Well, there are some more intense battles further along, but that's a memorable one. Anyway, as that fight was, it still felt deliberately limited. A widowmaker is a nice enemy to fight, but imagine that scene with a titan or two, and then a big bad mama widowmaker XXXL as a finale. Or barring that, just some added screen flair in the form of overhead support being chomped down by some gnarly beast from hell. Or some such.

So it felt a bit conservative, and my uneducated guess is that it's the result of Insomniac maybe being overly careful not to come through as too cartoony. But when you do something so well, maybe you should just say screw conventions and go all out. Other games will take any opportunity to play the epic and/or nutty battle card, and I think Resistance easily had the components to do so. Maybe I'm wrong though, just a feeling I get from playing it.

I agree man entirley hence my " playing it safe " comment

and well said .

Treo360 said:
I'm glad this thread has come about. The "Official" thread is for the most part an inflated online meet up thread.

Yeah... I mean, I don't expect Insomniac to give much of a damn about suggestions that they haven't already talked about internally (they are good at what they do, and they probably know what needs to be done here), but it's a good place to chat about this. And it's pretty civil too, which is cool.

tanod

when is my burrito
Treo360 said:
I'm glad this thread has come about. The "Official" thread is for the most part an inflated online meet up thread.

Yeah, I'm surprised that it got to this point. Almost every thread like this gets filled to the brim with retarded posts by people who never played the game or played very little of it. I think Resistance could have definitely used some more work on the presentational side of the story. I always felt like they may have run out of time so they didn't get a chance to put something really substantial together for the story sequences. The story is great, the presentation needed work.

@AltogetherAndrews: If that's the battle I'm thinking about, I think that's at the River Thames level. Holy crap, that was probably one of my favorite parts of the game. That was just after you pick up your last weapon and as you go through that first section, you use almost all of them. SO AWESOME!

I really love how every weapon has its purpose and that they are extremely well-balanced in SP. That is truly the one thing that makes the game stand out against ALL other FPS games.

Ploid 3.0

Maybe everyone can't help but respect resistance. Love this thread. Oh also if they want to bash it they might have disguised it as a what resistance needs list heh.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Things Resistance is Doing Well: The No Change List

Health system: Its perfect for the style of FPS, regenerating sections of your life bar, keeps you on edge and its rewarding killng chimeras.

BullEye: if for some reason Insomniac has to trash every weapon but one. The BullEye has to stay. One of the Best new Weapons ever introduced in this genre since HL2's Gravity Gun.

Stalkers: very fun Vehicle to both Use and Fight against.

Online Basics: everything is there, it can only go up from there

Auger: Shooting through walls have been done before but Not like this. Its hard to use but very satisfying kills

Amount of Shit on Screen: :lol

tanod said:
Yeah, I'm surprised that it got to this point. Almost every thread like this gets filled to the brim with retarded posts by people who never played the game or played very little of it. I think Resistance could have definitely used some more work on the presentational side of the story. I always felt like they may have run out of time so they didn't get a chance to put something really substantial together for the story sequences. The story is great, the presentation needed work.

@AltogetherAndrews: If that's the battle I'm thinking about, I think that's at the River Thames level. Holy crap, that was probably one of my favorite parts of the game. That was just after you pick up your last weapon and as you go through that first section, you use almost all of them. SO AWESOME!

I really love how every weapon has its purpose and that they are extremely well-balanced in SP. That is truly the one thing that makes the game stand out against ALL other FPS games.

Yep, the Thames level. I remember having serious issues with that one for a while (
the Widowmaker spitting balls of death tended to get me in the end
), and once I had cleared it I felt genuinely good about my achievement.

You know, one thing this game does not get anywhere near enough for is the attention to detail and sheer awesome look of the gun models. Replaying it now, I'm still (or again) stunned by how real these guns look, despite their sometimes completely unrealistic functions. The fareye and the bullseye rifles in particular, cleanly detailed and just beautiful. More of the same, please.

On a separate note, again from replaying it, I agree that the game could probably benefit from being a bit less cut up. The aforementioned Thames level, for example, there are a few cutscenes there that feel like they break up the experience a bit too much. Maybe there were some other reasons for including those though.

FightyF

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Re the whole Halo debate (*waves at DCharlie* ... *waves*) and all the suggestions that try to pull Resistance in a more Haloish direction: Resistance, through its gun balance 'n'shit is the more "hardcore" game, in that it rewards aiming skill much more, and rewards strategic weapon selection and use of alt-fire, which Halo games can't do. This is very important for the longetivity of the game. It has real depth for players to explore.

The weapon limitation is a control design choice that side-steps the menu design issue which is solved in Resistance anyway. The RFOM weapon selection system is good. It doesn't need to be fixed. "Fixing" it would mean less depth, less headroom to grow any player skill.

The second comparable big thing is the vehicle stuff. In the SP campaign, this isn't actually a strength of Halo anyway, so it begs the question what should be imitated. Halo CE just throws a vehicle at players whenever the level is too large and boring to explore on foot. The gameplay didn't change at all, even the tank section which is probably the most lauded vehicle segment in the entire game balanced gameplay and scale back out by replacing grunts with enemy hovertanks. It played exactly the same as an on-foot mission. The drive-by shooting challenge in Resistance changed how you played the game and was thus much more interesting than all uses of vehicles in Halo CE combined, which just fixed level design issues that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

The third big one is the recharging health. Managing your health is good. Making your faults semi-permanent encourages you to play better, and use whatever mechanics the game offers you more deliberately. OTOH the PC design balance that has embraced quick-load and quick-save up the whazoo is unworkable, it messes up the difficulty, limits what game design can achieve in terms of challenge and reward, it destroys immersion, and should you manage to save with very low health, far away from a med-pack, your save game may be useless, forcing you to start over.

Halo has made a trade-off that has been widely copied. You playing particularly poorly is completely irrelevant as long as you find any cover a couple seconds before you die.
Resistance makes a compromise. It has longer-term punishments for poor play, but due to the partial recharge you will never be put you so near death that your checkpoint save is unusable. Med-kits are back as a reward, and in a few cases as a thumb-twiddle-level strategic challenge (i.e. knowing when to pick one up while taking damage).

-----
Off-topic Halo criticism alert (*still waves at DCharlie*). I'm only doing this here and now because someone (*stares at DCharlie*) stated a certain bewilderment at the unification of Halo-disrespect and Resistance-like in persons.

Most obviously, Halo CE's level design is a fucking joke. There is nothing good about it, ever, anywhere. Contrary to almost any other fps Halo doesn't even know how to mix things up, it's just a war of attrition. "You fought this group, you manly man, but can you do it fifteen times in a row?, except that due to basic gameplay choices such as the lack of a full weapon loadout, it isn't even equipped for such consistency challenges, like ammo conservation, health management and optimal weapon choice (*hugs Resident Evil 4*). The library is not universally reviled because it was difficult -- it wasn't, your health recharges anyway and weapons drop left and right to replace whatever you may be lacking -- but because it was stupid to just waste your fucking time like that.
It's also a very shorŧ game, which is a popular criticism as of late, for every other franchise that is. It begs the question whether Bungie even thought these levels were fun to play or if that was just them not being able to do anything more interesting, just scrambling to make the single-player game longer than five hours.
Resistance's campaign is a long, varied, flowing, well-paced sequence of finely distinct locations and mixed-and-matched encounters with enemies of all sizes.

Halo fans like to tout the AI of fantasy lala-land Halo, but while doing so they ignore the Halo that Bungie actually made. Watch Blimblim's video. Even in the ultimate and latest refinement and legendary difficulty, enemies still walk slowly towards the player while firing, totally oblivious of the fact that they are being shot at. Citing Halo, over and over no less, as an example of good enemy AI is an insult to the entire game development community.
Halo's friendly AI is no bigger achievement either. It's so exceptionally bad that the campaigns make a point of killing off your squads in tragic accidents, just to make it stop. In Halo CE they are too fucking stupid to fire the gun at an enemy they can even hit ffs, instead prefering to nail a bajillion of MG rounds into rocks, or cliffsides as necessary.

If there's one thing we can learn from the covenant AI it's that screaming and flailing of arms while marching aimlessly in the general direction of death makes people think you're much less stupid than you really are. Or as shield-guy might put it: if you're too dumb to hide behind cover anyway, you'd look much less stupid if you carried your own cover around with you.
Resistance enemies have good enough AI to not just charge the player even over terrain that involves more than two walls and a door, but also to do the behind-cover-out-of-cover-back-and-forth dance with satisfying elegance., until they stop and come around to kill you. 'nuff said.

Perhaps the most grating issue with Halo, and indeed a significant difference between Halo and Resistance, is the absurd extent of imbalance between marketing/hive mind messages and the actual, existing line of product. I don't condone aggressive marketing. Nobody really does. Nobody goes to the cinema early just for the ads. Nobody cuts out the movie parts from their VCR recordings. Nobody uses a "content block" plugin for Firefox. And if a man rings at my door with a vacuum cleaner and a huge grin, I tell him to fuck off.
Likewise the Halo marketing machine, which is obviously obvious in its obviousness, is something I try to resist in a polite, hammer-swinging fashion. I want emperors to compete on merit, not on clothes.

------

Halo is a game that provides instant gratification for casual fps players. Due to wide and fuzzy firing arcs and weapon balance choices, damaging enemies is easy. Everyone can get a few kills in MP, and shooting the little-kid covenant in the SP strokes the sadist's superiority senses.
Resistance is not. It's a serious fps that delivers depth and a rounded experience for people with more than a passing interest in games. Making it more like Halo would make it meaningless.

I'm not a casual a gamer. I've played a lot of games, among them a lot of shooters, and that has helped me develop a certain taste. I want to play good games, not something that is inviting to everyone but can only achieve that by being shallow as fuck and marketed with more money than catholicism.
Hence I prefer the Resistance way.

Thank you, good night.

You make good points about the strengths of Resistance, and how they shouldn't be marginalized, but...

I don't see the point in comparing Resistance to a game released in 2001. Halo 2 and Halo 3 have improved things like AI, like the use of vehicles, and the level design.

And then after that mistake, your post just gets worse. Just because you don't like the marketing campaign, is no reason to dislike the game. If you really think Halo offers no substance, then you've just made yourself to look like a crazy loon and it's hard to take your opinion seriously.

AA: I agree about Resistance holding back. And about having too many cutscenes.

The engine afforded massive levels, so I think some levels and missions didn't have to be so linear. Look at the 40p Manchester map, and just imagine it populated with enemies, and starting the map from one corner, having to hit a certain number of waypoints (in any order you choose). That would have been extremely open-ended, and there could be hundreds of ways to tackle that level. We did get to go through Manchester in single player, but it was way too linear, when the engine could have easily afforded more.

Wait, why are we talking about Halo again? I saw the post earlier and honestly thought it was posted in the wrong thread. If it's some fear that Resistance is going to be pulled too far in the Halo direction, I think that's probably unfounded. Insomniac has its own thing going, of course with influences from other games (as with any other game), but I don't think there is much of a risk of Resistance becoming anything but an Insomniac game.

Re: openness of levels, if I recall correctly Insomniac has talked quite a bit about making serious strides in streaming technology, so maybe the linearity will be one aspect that will benefit from that added experience and knowledge. Assuming it was at least in part due to tech limitations and not a design choice, that is.

acabado

Banned
I would like too see in Resistence and Killzone as well a kind of Halo's juggernaut mode,but the difference is that the player wich is the strongest would take the controller of a boss that is in the game.

Does anyone think that's a good idea?

acabado said:
I would like too see in Resistence and Killzone as well a kind of Halo's juggernaut mode,but the difference is that the player wich is the strongest would take the controller of a boss that is in the game.

Does anyone think that's a good idea?

Not sure what that mode is

acabado

Banned
Someone as the game starts is randomly chosen to be the juggernaut wich is the strongest(double shield) at the current game. You only scores if you are the juggernaut,so everybody try to kill the juggernaut to start to score.

But I would like to become some boss in the game,and control it. :)

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I hope Nathan Hale gets to finally use that knife he has on his arm that for some reason he never used in the first Resistance.

jmd494

It may have been mentioned before but:

When intel is discovered, it would be very, very cool if it was voice acted out by its author instead of just showing the text on the screen. Like when people are reading the letter in THIS video.

Maybe you could even have some still photos (incorporating the KEN BURNS effect) representing the author's situation as he was writing the letter.

VonGak!

Banned
Madman said:
Know what? For all of that,I'll counter you points.

"Only having seen screen-caps and videos it seems to me that the game lacks identity.
It would be nice with some overall art style giving the game its own special flavour just like Uncharted, Doom3, Ratchet and Clank, KillZone 2, Zelda WindWaker and LittleBigPlanet."

Lacks identity? I would love to hear what other game makes such excellent use of enemy design and weapon usage. The art style is simple and effective . Big areas, lots of enemies, kick ass weapons all set in a war torn environment with alien structures dominating over human structures. Pretty clear and straight forward.

"Currently to me it just seems... not like a mess but a lot of ideas taken from different places and then mixed together instead of the expansion upon one initial idea ("Let's make a FPS" instead of "I got this great idea for a FPS")."

Once again, enemies and weapons. It makes Resistance truly different from the rest of the pack of shooters out there. No other shooter I have played gives you such a deep combat system where you really have to use your weapons, and I mean all of them.

"So please, give it some personality instead of those used to death HollyWood inspired body possessing headcrabs; Alien, Half Life, Halo... why go down that generic character design path when the Insomniac artist have proved to be so much more creative?"

The enemy design is solid and makes sense if you knew that they are just adaptations of various real creatures (humans, dogs, smaller animals, ect.). Depending on how much conversion they undergoe, they mutate different ways. Menials being the most simple of the humans, and crawlers being the most simple of ground creatures. They more or less rapidly evolve through the conversion process, and get their looks based on what type of creature they originated from.

LOL, I completely forgot about this debate.

I'm not hating on Resistance or anything, I'm just saying that I wanted Insomniac to go more crazy and give Resistance its own flavour so the game would stand out even more.

Instead of weapon concepts which we already have seen in games like homing bullets, shooting through walls, dual sub-macs, remote controlled projectiles, glue explosives and such I'd love to see weapons which could build walls, slippery ground guns, flammable gas, fog cannons with night vision and so on (obviously I'm not Insomniac, so the an go even more nuts with the weapons).

And the same goes for aliens, we have seen the Resistance ideas executed before and some of them to death like the head-crabs. It is solid but it doesn't have its own identity.

Yes these things worked in other games and Uncharted is solid but I'd love to see a FPS done Insomniac style though it might alienate the usual FPS crowd.

VonGak! said:
Instead of weapon concepts which we already have seen in games like homing bullets, shooting through walls, dual sub-macs, remote controlled projectiles, glue explosives and such I'd love to see weapons which could build walls, slippery ground guns, flammable gas, fog cannons with night vision and so on (obviously I'm not Insomniac, so the an go even more nuts with the weapons).

Now you've done it. There are two flame based weapons in the game, one being an airfuel grenade, and one being the flamethrower which doubles as a trap weapon.

VonGak! said:
And the same goes for aliens, we have seen the Resistance ideas executed before and some of them to death like the head-crabs. It is solid but it doesn't have its own identity.

Agian, it's impossible to say anything about identity unless you've actually fought these creatures. The headcrab thing you keep mentioning doesn't make sense either as these particular critters are fast, agile and attack in numbers.

patsu

acabado said:
Someone as the game starts is randomly chosen to be the juggernaut wich is the strongest(double shield) at the current game. You only scores if you are the juggernaut,so everybody try to kill the juggernaut to start to score.

But I would like to become some boss in the game,and control it. :)

Yeah, that's what I am talking about. I want to control a Stalker to take on a platoon of soldiers.

dalin80

Banned
the reading of intel and the like did seem very old fashioned and took you out of the game to some degree, the system works in RE4 but in that game you are constantly going in and out of your inventory anyway.

some way of telling the player updates/intel that doesn't intrude into the gameplay would be much appreciated.

i liked that the game wasn't afraid to give you comrades at times, iam getting sick of being the lone warrior all the time some fellow grunts helps reinforce the war feeling. us Vs. them instead of me-on-my-bloody-lonesum-again Vs. them.

please not a horror, so many fps's now go for the scares to try and add interest i put this 2nd only to timelimits in the big list of what bad dev's do to try to add 'excitement'.

give me the mother of all chainguns and a hundred chimera to cut down in a festival of blood and gibs and il be a happy bunny.

Come to think of it, Resistance may be the only combat FPS that I've played in recent times that didn't feature a chaingun. The Hailstorm has the bullet hose property, but there is no real chaingun is there?

Madman

VonGak! said:
LOL, I completely forgot about this debate.

I'm not hating on Resistance or anything, I'm just saying that I wanted Insomniac to go more crazy and give Resistance its own flavour so the game would stand out even more.

Yes these things worked in other games and Uncharted is solid but I'd love to see a FPS done Insomniac style though it might alienate the usual FPS crowd.
The bullseye can do more than just stick people and home. It can be laid as a trap or you can shoot it against a wall, build up bullets on it, and then fire them all at once at an enemy.

The auger can perform the function of putting up a wall or shield thorugh which you cna shoot opponents but they can;t shoot you and wqhen they walk though the wall, they recieve damage.

The dual sub macs can lock onto two seperate targets at once, something that I have never heard of being done before.

The LAARK can be directed in mid flight and fire out mini rockets at well. Or be held in and explode on imapct. I'm not aware of a rocket launcher that can do the same.

What other wepaon has glue mines that can be strung from the ceiling?

The auger can build a wall that you can see through and shoot at people from.

There are two vapor weapons, the dragon and the air fuel grenade.

One of the functions of the air fuel greande is that you can hold down cricle and let the vapor form into a standing cloud, and as a chimera you can see through it and at the right time, you can let it go and make it burst into flames.

I didn't even describe all the functions of the various weapons either.

Yeah, and what's up with evolution making creatures that look similar but all have different variations? Nature needs to have more identity.

Play the game, come back later.

VonGak!

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Now you've done it. There are two flame based weapons in the game, one being an airfuel grenade, and one being the flamethrower which doubles as a trap weapon.

Which is a neat postal 2 thing though my idea was more volumetric filing rooms, vehicles and such with gas for then to enlighten it. but as I said I'm not Insomniac.

But combination of weapons in new puzzle like ways, that's something which would be neat.

Do kept in mind that I'm not questioning the fun of the Resistance weapons, only the identity where I'd like them to go more unique.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Agian, it's impossible to say anything about identity unless you've actually fought these creatures. The headcrab thing you keep mentioning doesn't make sense either as these particular critters are fast, agile and attack in numbers.
But that got nothing to do with identity or change the fact that's it's one of the oldest Sci-Fi clichés.

The flood is fast and agile in Halo too.

dalin80

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Come to think of it, Resistance may be the only combat FPS that I've played in recent times that didn't feature a chaingun. The Hailstorm has the bullet hose property, but there is no real chaingun is there?

as much as i don't want to criticise the games guns i missed a weapon where i could just hold down the fire button for 10/15 seconds and watch as the world turned to dust before my eyes. the closest i can think of for bullet spray are the reapers but they are a 2nd play through only gun with barely any ammo and are awful to try and use.

as great as the hailstorm is you never have enough ammo to dare use the thing as a conventional gun, personally i spent all my time hoarding the ammo and solely using it for its secondary fire mode. i found that very effective against stalkers.

at times it got too a similar stage as the magnum in half life, i never fired the thing due to always wanting to save it for when it was needed then...oops just finished the game.

considering R:FOM's awesome weapons insomniac seemed reluctant at times to let you go crazy with them, there was always plenty of bullseye ammo which made that gun the one used 75% of the time by me.

VonGak! said:
Which is a neat postal 2 thing though my idea was more volumetric filing rooms, vehicles and such with gas for then to enlighten it. but as I said I'm not Insomniac.

Eh, the airfuel grenade has about as much of a volumetric property as you could realistically ask of a flame based weapon. I like you, but I think in this case you really should play the game before adding to the wishlist.

VonGak!

Banned
Madman said:
The bullseye can do more than just stick people and home. It can be laid as a trap or you can shoot it against a wall, build up bullets on it, and then fire them all at once at an enemy.

The auger can perform the function of putting up a wall or shield thorugh which you cna shoot opponents but they can;t shoot you and wqhen they walk though the wall, they recieve damage.

The dual sub macs can lock onto two seperate targets at once, something that I have never heard of being done before.

The LAARK can be directed in mid flight and fire out mini rockets at well. Or be held in and explode on imapct. I'm not aware of a rocket launcher that can do the same.

What other wepaon has glue mines that can be strung from the ceiling?

The auger can build a wall that you can see through and shoot at people from.

There are two vapor weapons, the dragon and the air fuel grenade.

One of the functions of the air fuel greande is that you can hold down cricle and let the vapor form into a standing cloud, and as a chimera you can see through it and at the right time, you can let it go and make it burst into flames.

I didn't even describe all the functions of the various weapons either.

Yeah, and what's up with evolution making creatures that look similar but all have different variations? Nature needs to have more identity.

Play the game, come back later.

I've read the weapon descriptions several times and it doesn't make them more unique.

It's not like I haven't been spending hours upon hours vacuming up info about Resistance on various boards before and after launch.

I'm beginning to doubt that people actually get what I mean by identity.

dalin80 said:
as great as the hailstorm is you never have enough ammo to dare use the thing as a conventional gun, personally i spent all my time hoarding the ammo and solely using it for its secondary fire mode. i found that very effective against stalkers.

at times it got too a similar stage as the magnum in half life, i never fired the thing due to always wanting to save it for when it was needed then...oops just finished the game.

That's a good point, about the Hailstorm I mean. I'd scrounge up ammo so that I'd always have a full stockpile, and if I saw a cache ahead I'd try and find an opportunity to use a clip before picking up the cache. And indeed, I never used it as the bullet hose of death that I intended for it to be, which is a shame.

VonGak! said:
The flood is fast and agile in Halo too.

Sure, but it's not deadly. They are fast, numerous or deadly, never all at once. I've already commented on enemy types and my feeling that the game lacks a bit in the hideously monstrous department, but as with the flame based weapon point I think this is one point where you're using the wrong example. These critters are fodder, little more. And as fodder, they provide more of a gameplay challenge than most.

Madman

VonGak! said:
I've read the weapon descriptions several times and it doesn't make them more unique.

It's not like I haven't been spending hours upon hours vacuming up info about Resistance on various boards before and after launch.

I'm beginning to doubt that people actually get what I mean by identity.
Look, either play the game or stop commenting. You are just being stubborn and annoying.

dalin80

Banned
the only weapons in game that aren't unique that i can think of are cabine a conventional smp weapon and the frag grenade.

tanod

when is my burrito
AltogetherAndrews said:
Eh, the airfuel grenade has about as much of a volumetric property as you could realistically ask of a flame based weapon. I like you, but I think in this case you really should play the game before adding to the wishlist.

If you hold down the grenade button when you throw, the gas will continue to disperse and fill up a room or area and increase the kill zone. Let go of the button and it ignites after about a second.

Also, the Reapers make an absolutely excellent melee weapon. They fucking own everything and you can just mow your way through a few hybrids or menials pretty easily. It gets used a lot in my play through of Superhuman. It was the only way I could get further than two minutes into the bus depot level without getting overwhelmed and destroyed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Game starts on Earth, then humans have to board hastily built spacecrafts using a mix of human and alien technology to get to their planet. And then it goes all D-Day style but on the alien planet!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I was revisiting the game today on Superhuman, and as I was shooting the Chimera I'd dart out of the building to recharge. The fourth time I did that, a Chimera actually jumped out from the building to finish me off.

That was some awesome AI. Completely unexpected, and well done. :lol

TEH-CJ

Banned
chubigans said:
I was revisiting the game today on Superhuman, and as I was shooting the Chimera I'd dart out of the building to recharge. The fourth time I did that, a Chimera actually jumped out from the building to finish me off.

That was some awesome AI. Completely unexpected, and well done. :lol

Yup resistance still has the most agressive and smart AI in a fps imo

especially the steal heads...evil agressive bastards they are..

bigswords

I like Resistance graphics, it look bland in certain areas, and in others yes it wowed me. But combat wise I just didn't feel it (whether it was because of lack of rumble) or most of the weapons felt meh.

Online was good 40 players with no lag was excellent, really showed us that console online gaming has taken a step up.

I haven't touched Resistance in months, is the co-op only split screen or could you do system link / over PSN?

TEH-CJ

Banned
bigswords said:
I like Resistance graphics, it look bland in certain areas, and in others yes it wowed me. But combat wise I just didn't feel it (whether it was because of lack of rumble) or most of the weapons felt meh.

Online was good 40 players with no lag was excellent, really showed us that console online gaming has taken a step up.

I haven't touched Resistance in months, is the co-op only split screen or could you do system link / over PSN?

co- op split screen only and it runs fantastic

Foil

A few things I'd like to see. The first game was pretty good but a tad overrated by a few here. It's still got a ways to go before becoming one of the top shooters. I do think they'll be able to do it and then some with the sequel though.

1. Better visuals, the open areas were very bland but I assume the engine improvments that happened for Ratchet will help fix this. Other things like more variety, more areas with fully interactive awesome looking water, snow, etc. More weather effects like light rain, heavy rain, mist, fog, thunderstorms, blizzards, etc. More in the way of elementals. The overall lighting and shadowing needs to be more pronounced. It needs more color (and no I'm not talking rainbows and flowers), but it just felt too boring and uninteresting in many levels of the first game. Another thing is to have lots of different styled levels in terms of time of day, weather, and location. Later parts of the first game were great looking, but a lot of other areas were really weak visually and artistically.

I'm a water whore, give me lots of gorgeous water! High quality H2O! The blizzards were fucking gorgeous in Resistance, keep that for the second game.

2. Vehicles fully intergrated into gameplay. Same for multiplayer, add them into that, but to please the whiners make them optional with the ability to play games with them turned off. Some will cry like babies about adding them, but they need to be there. The gameplay in multiplayer at times felt too thin, and this will help in adding some depth. This isn't to mimic Halo, Haze, Unreal, or other shooters, the fact is Insomniac could do some great things with them and it'd make for a better game. Don't like them? Then turn them off in multiplayer. Some love them, others don't.

3. More impact and kick from some of the weapons. The Cabine looked kinda weak overall, design and fire wise. It needs a major boost in terms of kick and punch (both audio and visual). Rossmore felt great, just needs a visual upgrade to a more modern look which I hope the second game will have. Really get creative and wild with some of the new weapons. Bullseye was great, Fareye was great.

4. Do not have weapons in single player that are not in multiplayer, and don't take weapons out of the online space. If they're unbalanced, balance them. I love me the HailStorm. :(

5. Much better story presentation and overall character development is needed. None of the characters were really well presented in the game, and I really don't care about any of them. Hale isn't exactly a good lead character, but who knows, he may have some potential it just needs to be tapped. The way the story is told needs to be changed and presented in a more cinematic way. It has lots of potential. I'd like to see more story told through the first person perspective like Half-Life 2, mixed with gorgeous cinematics.

6. Move away from the WWII era setting. To be honest, I hate it. Move 20, 30 years into the future. Perhaps even having the majority of the human race fully enslaved by the Chimera and the humans having to rise up and fight back to reclaim their land. You could also have pockets of Resistance fighters living out in spooky ghost town type areas and what not. Keep a good balance of huge open battles with vehicles, huge infantry only battles, smaller battles, epic mini boss encounters, close quarters battles, reconish sniper sections, slower paced survival horrish areas, etc.

7. More unlockable character items. Stuff like masks, helmets, etc. Lots of it.

8. More personality and individuality for each multiplayer map. They need to be very distinct and have their own flare. Halo does this well with their maps, where each feels like it's own cool little place.

9. Four Player Online Co-Op. Yeah, this is a must have. Now that I've played it in Halo 3, and the fact Haze is doing it. This needs to become standard. It's just too much fun not to include.

10. I'd like to see the Auger pimped out more in terms of style. Have each round be a small sharp parasitic lifeform that manically laughs and screams as it burrows through the wall. Kinda like the 'Glove Of Doom' from Ratchet mixed with elements of Oddworlds live ammo, with an evil twist.

11. Personal favor. Get Sam Cassell to do the Chimera motion capture. Maybe scan his face in for their designs... Actually that might be too scary, just stick with their normal look.

What if, like, the sequel DOES take place many years after the first game (an idea I'd go for), and you're still Hale, but hardly aged at all? It's like Wolverine... with that self-regeneration that Hale has, his body doesn't fall apart... it doesn't age.

As for the story and context, I dunno, but I think that would be a neat little touch. All the shit he'd have seen and been through. Watched a few generations struggle against the Chimera, watched the evolution of war... a curse as much as a blessing, the duality of man, yabbidy dabbidy et cetera.

jjasper

TEH-CJ said:
Updated some suggestions of mine :D

The first post sucks.

Anyway something that no one has mentioned (or at least I have seen it) is an improved menu and interface.

-Allow you to always be logged on and always able to receive buddy invites
-Do whatever Burnout is doing with the drop in and out of online for the coop

Things like that.

TEH-CJ

Banned
revolverjgw said:
What if, like, the sequel DOES take place many years after the first game (an idea I'd go for), and you're still Hale, but hardly aged at all? It's like Wolverine... with that self-regeneration that Hale has, his body doesn't fall apart... it doesn't age.

As for the story and context, I dunno, but I think that would be a neat little touch. All the shit he'd have seen and been through. Watched a few generations struggle against the Chimera, watched the evolution of war... a curse as much as a blessing, the duality of man, yabbidy dabbidy et cetera.

Awesome idea

Just got a PS3 starter pack, with Resistance and Motorstorm, and bought Heavenly Sword at the same time. Played HS for like 3 hours then it was all Resistance.

First time all the GAF hype has been true for me :D Resistance is one of the best(or even the best) console fps:s I've played.

Didn't think I would like it so much tbh, with Halo 3 coming out and all but Resistance has a special feel to it. Gameplay, story, controls and graphics are all so damn good and I haven't even finished it yet so there's probably even more cool stuff to do. Going to post again in this thread after the game is finished.

AND I REALLY HATE THE 'SHOOTING THROUGH WALLS' GUN!!!! If I'm scared and want to hide behind something why why why are the damn chimerans shooting at me :(
it's really awsome but i still hate those fuckers

Top Bottom