• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online gameplay leaked

The biggest problems with MMO combat is that you're dealing with extreme latency all the time. It is difficult to create something that feels responsive when you're always dealing with around 100ms of latency. Latency can also be extremely volatile with huge spikes.

Its just easier to look at existing MMOs then work on a different solution to that problem. Willing to bet a lot of publishers won't fund projects that "maybe" don't feel shitty when being played. It totally sucks, and is a good reason to not play all but the top one or two MMOs on the market.

Indeed, latency is indeed a huge issue. Is the technology there yet? :(

Dat stretchy armor
ku-medium.gif

Jac_Solar

Yum yum, rodent toes!

Looks pretty bad. I'll get the soundtrack, though.

I admit I'm sort of geeking out over those maps. But no, I don't want to play this.

I didn't get to see the movie, but didn't they say that there would only be a few maps/locations when it launches, but they will continue adding or something?

I'd like to see an MMORPG with Souls-esque melee-oriented, heavy and hypersensitive combat. With gear and spells customization rather than classes, that take a lot of time to acquire, meet the stat requirements to wield and finally upgrade.

You build your own class, and with a lot of time and dedication, you can swap between them (or make hybrid builds) on one character by switching equipment and spells.

Go for light armor, a knife, a thrusting weapon and a parrying shield to move fast (or sacrifice a weapon, the shield or some stats for a mobility boost spell to be faster than anyone) and sneak in critical damage where it really hurts.

Or go for heavy armor, a greatshield and an ultra greatsword to be able to block and get hit without losing your footing against any but the heaviest of attacks, and survive even them, and be capable of dishing out your own heavy attacks. Or sacrifice some of it to get a ranged weapon to shoot any fleeing fools in the back, or perhaps a regeneration spell to heal what little damage manages to get past your great defence.

The more I think about the possibilities, the more hopeful I am we will see such a game.

Not really like DS but,

Asherons Call had a massive, massive character/spell/stat system. You started out by choosing a few skills (Out of a pool of a hundred or less -- things including melee weapon, missile weapons, melee defense, and even stuff like run speed, jump speed.) to specialize in, which would be cheaper and faster to raise than the selection of non-specialized skills. The attributes (Strength, Quickness, Coordination, etc.) raised the skills every couple of points. You got XP by doing quests and killing monsters, and used XP to raise your attributes/skills.

Armor had varying resistance qualities, which you could buff (You selected an individual armor piece and buffed it with item magic. There were also creature, war, life schools.). Same with weapons, except damage of course. Armor, piercing, bludgeoning, acid, lighting, slashing, I think were the main elements of armor. I think weapons worked similarly, plus a couple of different buffs (Swift speed, more damage, etc.).

It really emphasized player skill and knowledge - the very best players could basically solo some of the dungeons that otherwise required 7 people, maybe even some raids.

That was made in 1999, and no MMO I've come across since has come close to offering the kind of variety and freedom that game allowed. Its PvP system was also incredible, since it relied heavily on player skill/movement and such. The development company went on to make Lotr: online, which is basically exactly like WoW, which is a shame.

DodgerSan

Did anyone ever?

Devs still confuse MMOs to be the same formula as other genres, the general way of thinking seems to be "make it like X, just "better"". Works for offline genres most of the day, doesn't work for MMOs. Hell, most games that failed were even hyped to death, and still were dead on arrival. Eve, GW1 and 2 take different approaches (either in gameplay or in business model) and they do just fine. And sub model? Are you kidding me? Even freaking Mortal and TSW, games _designed_ for niche audiences, and LOTRO (imo mostly due to later design decisions) with its HUGE potential playerbase and audience had to go F2P in the end. I honestly have absolutely no idea why anyone would think TESO would be remotely successful in that regard. There's just no way.

And even if I would like what Wildstar is doing, I predict a TOR/Conan for them as well if they go sub model.

Agreed, though Wildstar could pull a Secret World - get 6 months of sub money with an f2p model waiting in the wings to be rolled out.

Can't say I am terribly interested, but they addition of the first person view significantly changed the feel of the game just from looking at the videos.

They didn't need to go MMO, just throw co op in in Skyrim and I would be happy for another few years.

Top Bottom