• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online gameplay leaked

Jira

They started work on this in 2007 when WoW clones were still all the rage and could maybe get a piece of the "WoW pie". It's been very obvious as of the last few years that just doesn't work anymore, however, no studio is going to up and stop development so this is what we get. I can't blame them because they have to feed their families and they'll release what they release. I can however blame them for not trying to innovate at the start and releasing an uninspired game that is designed entirely around piggybacking off of the success of another game. TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT! In the same exact time frame, ArenaNet said no we're going to do something different and went on to make GW2, which is the fastest selling base MMO of all time and has a higher monthly concurrency than any MMO not named WoW by a large margin. You succeed when you take chances and you fail when you don't.

What MMO combat looks good according to everyone then? Not saying this looks good, but have yet to see any MMO get good remarks for it's combat on this site.

They started work on this in 2007 when WoW clones were still all the rage and could maybe get a piece of the "WoW pie". It's been very obvious as of the last few years that just doesn't work anymore, however, no studio is going to up and stop development so this is what we get. I can't blame them because they have to feed their families and they'll release what they release. I can however blame them for not trying to innovate at the start and releasing an uninspired game that is designed entirely around piggybacking off of the success of another game. TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT! In the same exact time frame, ArenaNet said no we're going to do something different and went on to make GW2, which is the fastest selling base MMO of all time and has a higher monthly concurrency than any MMO not named WoW by a large margin. You succeed when you take chances and you fail when you don't.

Really everyone must be taking a break from GW2 since so many zones are barren right now with it being impossible to get lot of events done anymore due to lack of player activity. Starting over a alts recently in GW2 has been a pain in the ass with how much the player activity has dropped off.

What MMO combat looks good according to everyone then? Not saying this looks good, but have yet to see any MMO get good remarks for it's combat on this site.

The combat looks like the other 100 shit MMO's out there that no one gives a shit about, many which are even free. On top of that everything else also looks like shit. It's hard to see many positives here.

Ashodin

Really everyone must be taking a break from GW2 since so many zones are barren right now with it being impossible to get lot of events done anymore due to lack of player activity. Starting over a alts recently in GW2 has been a pain in the ass with how much the player activity has dropped off.

Really? This is further from the truth. The recent adding of events and the living story makes for zones having at least some players always nearby for help, and map chat makes it easy to coordinate.

It's good enough on Stormbluff Isle, and because most people hit 80 and did 80's stuff, not because of a sharp player drop.

Jira

For me, the combat systems I like in MMOs are GW1, GW2, Vindictus, TERA, and Planetside 2.

Not really considering server capacities have been increased every 1-2 weeks since launch, the changes since January have done a ton to get people into 20+ zones, and from my personal experiences, I've run into 10-12 people doing single events in starting zones often. I mean yeah you can run across a group event and no one is around, but you're not forced to do X before you can do Y for your quest log.

I am sure it would have been amazing

back in 2007

A game like this would be considered spectacular looking coming right out after Oblivion. NPCs and chracter models were rather hideous and chimplike in Oblivion unmodded. But right now? After Skyrim?

For reference this is what a typical NPC in Oblivion looked like:-

jbqPOsyq9fkgdK.jpg

I'm confused about the love for FFXIV 2.0
I ran the benchmark on max and it just looks like a Perfect World MMO.

Have no idea what the combat is like but it looks like it's boring.

rrs

They could have done something cool here and all we get is a soulless bland WoW clone. I played free MMOs with more soul and better art design.

Agreed. If anything what he said is the opposite of what's true.

Exactly. ES games typically have amazingly good art direction and awful Gamebryo-based engines.

I personally think the "ES games have bad writing" comments are totally off base, too. Maybe the dialogue isn't great, but the non-dialogue writing is some of the best in gaming.

Exactly. ES games typically have amazingly good art direction and awful Gamebryo-based engines.

I personally think the "ES games have bad writing" comments are totally off base, too. Maybe the dialogue isn't great, but the non-dialogue writing is some of the best in gaming.

good graphics != good art direction. theyre almost not even really related for that matter

pot

Banned
It's all instanced? :/ Wut

They have open world pvp in one zone (Cyrodiil I believe) but according to a couple articles I read it is instanced off depending on population? There could be many different versions of the same open area zone. So it won't be like Guild Wars 2 or DAOC for instance. It is what I liked about daoc, warhammer and gw2. It was a constant world so you actually felt invested in it. ESOs pvp seems tacked on just to say they have open world pvp. I hope I am wrong because I've quit GW2 recently and am looking forward to a new open world pvp experience.

etiolate

Banned

Don't expect any MMO to get good marks on this site. Being a game fan has become a practice of constant whining and constant buying. So many fans that are like children that want a new toy but never want to play with the toys they get. GAF is just part of the modern gamer: a sweaty, hot-pocket and otaku-soup of buzzwording, hyping hyperbole bees.

As for combat, I like Vindictus, Dragon's Nest, GW2 and sort of like TERA. I wished TERA didn't feel so slow though. Wildstar is supposed to have decent combat, but I haven't tried it yet.

The 40-60 areas of Tyria have the least activity because the population is mostly at 80 or new players on low, low level areas. Any zone with a world boss gets decent activity to high activity. So even though its included in that level frame of low player population, a place like Blazeridge Steppes probably has a good amount of people if you can drag them away from the dragon. Dredgehaunt Cliffs or Timberline Falls is going to be more barren because of the lack of player interest in the zone bosses.

Riposte

http://i.imgur.com/WDt5n0n.jpg vs http://i.imgur.com/42ug2OG.jpg

Then again the screens on Square's site fucking suck so I'm happy to be proven wrong.

For starters, Neverwinter doesn't really look like their past games, at least the ones I've seen (which are more on the cheap korean MMO side). However, the screenshot doesn't make FFXIV look bad, aside from it being a very simple picture (no real look at how the game areas look).

EDIT: CcrooK posts the comparison which comes to mind.

good graphics != good art direction. theyre almost not even really related for that matter

Correct. The poster we were talking about said ES games have awful art direction that is make up for with great tech. I dunno what series he's been playing, but that doesn't sound like ES to me.

Aaron

I don't believe Square Enix is going Free to play, this is subscription, isn't it? That's a distinctive difference.
Only because they're Japanese, and behind the curve on this sort of thing. It'll probably transition to F2P, especially if it doesn't get the subs they're expecting for the relaunch, which it won't. They've already cited their current MMO subs as very disappointing.

LowParry

Only because they're Japanese, and behind the curve on this sort of thing. It'll probably transition to F2P, especially if it doesn't get the subs they're expecting for the relaunch, which it won't. They've already cited their current MMO subs as very disappointing.

If it were just on the PC side of things, I'd agree but with it going to PS3 as well, it could work out for them in the end. But the timing is all sorts of off considering we have a PS4 coming out soon.

Aaron

If it were just on the PC side of things, I'd agree but with it going to PS3 as well, it could work out for them in the end. But the timing is all sorts of off considering we have a PS4 coming out soon.
I'm not even sure the PS3 version will come out being so late in the cycle now. It'll probably come out and be subbed, but the PS4 version when that hits will be F2P.

The benchmark just didn't look too unique. I'm happy to be told that playing it myself makes the difference but for now it looks similar to what Neverwinter is offering.
It should look similar. They have similar budgets. Just because Neverwinter is F2P don't think they're making it on the cheap.

Riposte

It is hard to tell, but I do think FFXIV is the better looking game. It seems like he posted an unflattering image for Neverwinter (though there was very little wrong with the XIV one).

It should look similar. They have similar budgets. Just because Neverwinter is F2P don't think they're making it on the cheap.

No no, A subscription MMORPG is a hard sell. If they look similar then what exactly is appealing? I can look at both games and simply say "Well I can access this one for free." The fact that they look similar is a major flaw in chasing a subscription base because if they can't make the game look like a premium product then what's the point?

Top Bottom