• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

BNGames

Some Reddit users gave me shit for calling out Low powered multi arcade boards for being low powered garbage. I did a video on it recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCuFBd4E4JI

New-Arrival-Classical-games-412-in-1-upgrade-to-412-in-1Multi-Game-PCB-for-Arcade.jpg

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, here's an odd opinion of mine...

Final Fantasy XIII is a better game than Final Fantasy X. The latter has some of the most bland world building in the franchise, with long treks through muddy grasslands and an obnoxious encounter rate that covers a majority of the game. It's such a colossal step down from, let's say, the previous Final Fantasy IX's beautiful world that it feels unfair to compare them, and this isn't even going into X's awful dungeon design - probably some of the worst in the series.

Anyway, X's combat and its focus on switching characters to defeat certain enemies is tedious since it barely evolves past that. XIII's combat actually kicked me down bad because I started to get comfortable without certain paradigms, and it remains one of my favourite battle systems since I had to get good at it.

Both of their casts are awkward but Tidus grates on you since he's written to be intentionally clueless and overly dramatic. The characters all clearly hint at what's going to happen for the players, but you'll still have to endure Tidus not getting it for another 20 hours. Lightning isn't very good either but I'd choose her instead any day.

Final Fantasy X does have a few benefits in that its intro and ending sequences are miles beyond XIII's, but as a game I much prefer XIII.

However and unfortunately, the good of XIII doesn't exactly last since Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is one of the worst games I've ever played.

gfxtwin

Psychonauts is the best platformer in regards to being a whole package (fun gameplay, story, characters, creativity) of the xbox/ps2/gamecube generation

Videogames don't, in fact, have stories as good as even most average movies 90% of the time. There are very few exceptions. Only ones that come to mind are The Last of Us, Grim Fandango, The Last Guardian, Bioshock 1, and maybe something like Earthbound or Undertale.

Mass Effect has some nearly Bethesda-level stilted, boring dialogue and the stories in those games are Star Wars and Star Trek backwash unfit for an early 2000's sci-fi channel original movie script.

God of War is a garbage franchise that to me always seemed to be catering to the raging toxic masculinity that you'd probably need to be a gamergator to relate to.

Final Fantasy and X and XII are the best FF games with the most interesting worlds, art direction, characters and gameplay. They have a palatable, lighthearted feel that recalls Star Wars (especially XII) and are more polished than any FF game released since.

SOTC's landscape is empty, but far more interesting to explore than any form of Hyrule that isn't the version shown so far in BOTW. That's probably because of how clearly inspired by Ueda that game's look is.

Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 >>> Devil May Cry series

Samething can be said about Apple.

In recent years absolutely. There was a time when Apple offered the most impressive hardware (and in some cases they still do, their custom ARM SoC's are the best in the industry) and their products weathered the storm very well. But in recent years (since Tim Cook took over) they have kinda missed the mark on several iterations of their products and starting to become kind of overpriced crap.

In recent years absolutely. There was a time when Apple offered the most impressive hardware (and in some cases they still do, their custom ARM SoC's are the best in the industry) and their products weathered the storm very well. But in recent years (since Tim Cook took over) they have kinda missed the mark on several iterations of their products and starting to become kind of overpriced crap.
Steve Job's interview where he talks about "product" and "sales" people is increasingly prophetic to what would happen to his own company.
Uncharted 4 gunplay is awful.
I'd struggle with this. I think it's probably close to the best it's ever been in the series, but there are major issues I have with it. Swinging around and doing crazy moves should be possible in the campaign, but the AI's spot-on aim makes that near impossible. The gunplay when it happens is good but there's actually not enough of it. The gunplay also lacks weight. I guess for what it's worth that is why I've enjoyed the multiplayer.

Samething can be said about Apple.

Selling expensive products is not "ripoff".

Obviously the contention is they're priced above what they're actually worth. Don't be pedantic.

And who determine this? The market. I'm sure the millions who buy Apple products feel they are well worth their value.

Just because a product is above your deemed value doesn't make it a "ripoff".

Ripoff is when you sell your product with a false premise (like advertising features it doesn't have).

And who determine this? The market. I'm sure the millions who buy Apple products feel they are well worth their value.

Just because a product is above your deemed value doesn't make it a "ripoff".

Ripoff is when you sell your product with a false premise (like advertising features it doesn't have).
Argumentum ad populum is hardly a convincing way to discuss the value of a product. Millions of people probably think that a Double Quarterpounder is the height of culinary experiences. Doesn't mean anyone reasonable should accept that as a meaningful opinion.

And I hate to engage in definition quoting, but the definition of a ripoff is "a fraud or swindle, especially something that is grossly overpriced."

MilkyJoe

Argumentum ad populum is hardly a convincing way to discuss the value of a product. Millions of people probably think that a Double Quarterpounder is the height of culinary experiences. Doesn't mean anyone reasonable should accept that as a meaningful opinion.

And I hate to engage in definition quoting, but the definition of a ripoff is "a fraud or swindle, especially something that is grossly overpriced."

People don't like to hear the truth.

gabelsqt

3D fighting games feel like they were just an experiment to show off what could be done in 3D to begin with, and they're outdated now. They are all incredibly clunky, and nearly all the major 3D fighting game franchises today started out when 3D in games was a new thing (PS1-era and slightly earlier). The fact that literally the only example I can think of that didn't originate in that time period is Pokken (which is pretty much a Tekken reskin anyway) proves this.

In spite of its name, Pokken does not play even remotely like Tekken, nor does it feel clunky.

RM8

This is dumb. Because you don't like X, you perceive the cost of X to be too high. I'm multiplatform and there are a lot of games and features I love that I can't get on my PC or my Sony consoles. The biggest rip off Nintendo is doing right now is switching to paid online play.

This is dumb. Because you don't like X, you perceive the cost of X to be too high. I'm multiplatform and there are a lot of games and features I love that I can't get on my PC or my Sony consoles. The biggest rip off Nintendo is doing right now is switching to paid online play.
There are lots of things that I don't like that I understand the pricing behind. There are also things that I like that I think are exorbitantly priced. Not sure what your point is here.

MilkyJoe

If I want to play a single Switch game, with a conventional controller I need to buy a console £280
Game £50
Controller £70?

Totalling around £400

For that I can buy a PS4 and an Xbox One, at time of print

https://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGameshjqrku5eux/{MW}?gclid=CPWH6tj54dECFYM4Gwod8C4DNw

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4604842

And the Switch isn't even out yet. It's not good value for money, no matter how you spin it.

If I want to play a single Switch game, with a conventional controller I need to buy a console £280
Game £50
Controller £70?

Totalling around £400

For that I can buy a PS4 and an Xbox One, at time of print

https://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGameshjqrku5eux/{MW}?gclid=CPWH6tj54dECFYM4Gwod8C4DNw

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4604842

And the Switch isn't even out yet. It's not good value for money, no matter how you spin it.
Sure, with an electric cable and a portable 4k tv, I can totally have all the Switch can offer in a portable fashion with higher fidelity, even.

LaronX

Neo Member
The Persona game ( didn't touch 5 yet and don't plan to) are utterly trash as games and among the worst dungeon crawlers I ever played. They are a mechanical mess that substitutes difficulty with random elements, has terrible level design for the most part and over all s just a shit game. The story is good, but fuck it being a game.

GamerJM

Banned
I think that the Switch might cause the Nintendo to go third-party, AND I think that'll be a major net loss for the industry. I don't know if either of these are that rare on their own, but together they don't seem like a very common opinion because a lot of the people who seem to think Nintendo will go third-party are also the people who WANT them to.

I'm also someone who said both during the tail end of the Gamecube's lifespan (when things seemed grim for Nintendo pre-Wii, and it was especially dire around mid-2005 when the DS sales hadn't picked up yet), and in the midst of the Wii U's bumbling sales failure that Nintendo would probably never go third-party but I really think this time there's a large possibility. They just can't afford two failures in a row without facing serious consequences regarding their investors.

jdstorm

Banned
Sure, here's an odd opinion of mine...

Final Fantasy XIII is a better game than Final Fantasy X. The latter has some of the most bland world building in the franchise, with long treks through muddy grasslands and an obnoxious encounter rate that covers a majority of the game. It's such a colossal step down from, let's say, the previous Final Fantasy IX's beautiful world that it feels unfair to compare them, and this isn't even going into X's awful dungeon design - probably some of the worst in the series.

Anyway, X's combat and its focus on switching characters to defeat certain enemies is tedious since it barely evolves past that. XIII's combat actually kicked me down bad because I started to get comfortable without certain paradigms, and it remains one of my favourite battle systems since I had to get good at it.

Both of their casts are awkward but Tidus grates on you since he's written to be intentionally clueless and overly dramatic. The characters all clearly hint at what's going to happen for the players, but you'll still have to endure Tidus not getting it for another 20 hours. Lightning isn't very good either but I'd choose her instead any day.

Final Fantasy X does have a few benefits in that its intro and ending sequences are miles beyond XIII's, but as a game I much prefer XIII.

However and unfortunately, the good of XIII doesn't exactly last since Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is one of the worst games I've ever played.

I Love FFX so i wont comment much on that, however i 100% agree with you on FFXIII. FFXIII is actually really good as a game. Its just that everyone in the party not named Lightning or Hope suck (and Hope is bad for quite a while)

Then FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns drive the FFXIII brand off a cliff

Soma

I would totally love getting into the Trails series but the art and character design is just so goddamn mindnumbingly generic that I got bored of Trails in the Sky about 40 minutes into playing it.

Maybe one day I'll give it another shot but I got a long list of games I'd just rather seek out before that one.

The Evil Within is a dumpster fire

Everyone is soft on Nintendo. They're Nintendo. They get a pass on just about anything.
Because people on the grand scale of things enjoy their stuff.
Naughty Dog gets a free pass for mediocre gun play and horribly anachronistic goon factory type shootouts because visuals are nice and Nathan and Ellie are likeable characters.
Warner Bros. published games aren't as much attacked for the bs that Ubisoft or EA pull with their games because it's Batman or it's the Lord of the Rings setting.
It's easy to get a free pass:
Make something special and overall still good, people won't treat you as harshly.

I think that the Switch might cause the Nintendo to go third party.
They are already going 3rd party, namely the only one that truly matters: mobile.

In general, that's my most important controversial opinion on this forum: What happened to Japan will also come to the West. Home console gaming will decline in terms of number of consumers and many ambitious developers won't survive. I struggle to see how an average 10 year old child with a smartphone and a tablet in 2017 is supposed to grow up into a console gamer. Heck, he/she possibly won't even want a TV that badly.
What does this even mean?
That's what I thought when I read your post.
The Switch is a portable home console. How the hell is something portable and more powerful than WiiU supposed to be more affordable than a box that's not even 10x more powerful but is literally useless unless plugged into a wall and a TV?
Apples and oranges for crying out loud.

MilkyJoe

Franz Brötchen;229185521 said:
Sure, with an electric cable and a portable 4k tv, I can totally have all the Switch can offer in a portable fashion with higher fidelity, even.

What does this even mean?

I think the cost is too high because the cost is too high, the same as always with Nintendo. Their last 3 launches have all been priced unacceptably high for the market. Remember the 3DS launch with the original price? Sold like crap until they cut it and built up their library. Wii U is arguably still priced way too high and the damn thing isn't even "on the market" anymore. The Switch is no different. As has been pointed out, unless you're using it exclusively as a portable odds are you're dishing out a good amount of money;

Nintendo Switch - $300
Pro Controller - $70
Game of Choice - $60

So that's $430 (plus tax) out of the gates unless you use it exclusively as a portable. But a lot of the people that would want the Switch already have 3DS's so we'll compare it to other consoles. Those consoles have tons of games out, and a lot of them can be had for dirt cheap. You know what else I can get for $430 if I went to Gamestop right now?

PS4 + Uncharted 4 + Controller - $300
Doom for PS4 - $20
Fallout 4 for PS4 - $20
TLOU Remastered for PS4 - $20
GTA V for PS4 - $40
Bloodborne for PS4 - $20

For a total of $420. I tried to pick some of the most memorable games of the past few years, because with the PS4 I can do that. Yea, I can't play them to go, but is that worth the massive upcharge on games across the entire lifespan of the system? That's the real reason I think Nintendo rips their fans off. They almost never do sales, and most of their games stay within $5-$10 of the full retail price FOR YEARS. Xenoblade Chronicles X, still $60 at most stores. Wonderful 101, still $50 at Walmart. Super Smash Bros. Wii U, still between $50 and $60 at most stores that aren't liquidating Wii U stuff. Pokemon Sun retail is $36-40, compare that to Pokemon X which came out over 3 years ago and is still $30 for a retail copy, Pokemon Black retail is still almost $30 for a game that came out over 6 years ago.

Nintendo prices DO NOT BUDGE. That's how Nintendo has continued to make a lot of profit despite some bad showings. Their fans are rabid and will continue to buy these games at that price point for years after they launch. This is what I mean by Nintendo takes advantage of their fans. They only recently started doing Nintendo Selects which is a step in the right direction, but Sony has been doing that since the PS1 and I think Microsoft started with the 360. The value just isn't there with Nintendo's systems, unless you absolutely cannot live without their IP (which I can).

gelf

Psychonauts is the best platformer in regards to being a whole package (fun gameplay, story, characters, creativity) of the xbox/ps2/gamecube generation
I love Psychonauts despite not being a fan of the genre. Standard 3D platforming doesn't really enthuse me in general but Psychonauts is so good in all other aspects it doesn't matter. It's my personal favourite in the genre.

I hope the Switch fails spectacularly. It's an overpriced, lousy concept from a company that dines out on nostalgia and abusing its fans. I wish just once, Nintendo fans would do the industry a favour and vote with their wallet. Spoiler: they won't.

Even the forum gets trashed on its announcement with Nintendo fans squirting out every minor switch related thought that enters their head.

I hope the Switch fails spectacularly. It's an overpriced, lousy concept from a company that dines out on nostalgia and abusing its fans. I wish just once, Nintendo fans would do the industry a favour and vote with their wallet. Spoiler: they won't.

Even the forum gets trashed on its announcement with Nintendo fans squirting out every minor switch related thought that enters their head.
The Wii U was a thing.

And lol at this and the emotion behind it.

Playsage

3D fighting games feel like they were just an experiment to show off what could be done in 3D to begin with, and they're outdated now. They are all incredibly clunky, and nearly all the major 3D fighting game franchises today started out when 3D in games was a new thing (PS1-era and slightly earlier). The fact that literally the only example I can think of that didn't originate in that time period is Pokken (which is pretty much a Tekken reskin anyway) proves this.
This is not controversial, it's just plain wrong.

RM8

Unless you absolutely cannot live without their IP (which I can).
This is like, the entire point. You buy Nintendo stuff because you like their games, and you can't play them anywhere else. BTW you said "sure, I can't play my PS4 on the go BUT" as if that wasn't THE reason why the Switch is priced like that. It's form factor is supposed to be a selling point and a differentiator. So no, unless you tell me I can play Mario Kart on my train to work, you can't sell me a PS4 as a cheaper alternative. Way to miss the point, lol.

Nintendo games aren't for everyone (and that applies to any developer), but it's so dumb how people believe Nintendo fans don't actually enjoy Nintendo products and are buying them because of mysterious reasons.

Valtekken

Banned
I don't like Nintendo. I don't like their consoles, I don't like their games, I don't like their general attitude towards customers and I didn't grow up playing their games so the nostalgia factor they rely upon to sell their games irritates me rather than making me buy their stuff (and most of their fans are impossible to talk to and reason with, considering they think that "They're Nintendo, their games are the BEST EVER!" and no criticisms are to be accepted). I think most of their games are overpriced kiddy bullshit, and their family-friendly attitude means they won't take risks and develop something that isn't "clean" fun. Sure, they funded Bayonetta 2, but it wasn't them who developed it, was it?
Also, I hate the fact that all their consoles since the Gamecube have been a gen behind in terms of power. That's just a waste of money, and if the Wii hadn't clicked with casual gamers like it did, Nintendo would've been third party or out of business by the end of this gen.

Akainu

BOTW Zelda is by far the worst looking Zelda. In fact Link sucks too. Hell the art direction for the characters models in general are horrible. It makes me appreciate baby face more.

spekkeh

Banned
Franz Brötchen;229186237 said:
They are already going 3rd party, namely the only one that truly matters: mobile.

In general, that's my most important controversial opinion on this forum: What happened to Japan will also come to the West. Home console gaming will decline in terms of number of consumers and many ambitious developers won't survive. I struggle to see how an average 10 year old child with a smartphone and a tablet in 2017 is supposed to grow up into a console gamer. Heck, he/she possibly won't even want a TV that badly.
Is this a controversial opinion? Because it's my opinion as well. Console industry is shrinking and will die if it stays on the current path. The amount of new gamers is small, and I doubt whether in ten years time even half of the target group of twenty year olds will own a TV.

My controversial opinion is that we should all hope Nintendo succeeds, because it's the only path that can break this trend (i.e. speak to the children that grow up on mobile devices and bring them into our fold) and make the games we like sustainable.

Franz Brötchen;229186029 said:
Because people on the grand scale of things enjoy their stuff.
Naughty Dog gets a free pass for mediocre gun play and horribly anachronistic goon factory type shootouts because visuals are nice and Nathan and Ellie are likeable characters.
Warner Bros. published games aren't as much attacked for the bs that Ubisoft or EA pull with their games because it's Batman or it's the Lord of the Rings setting.
It's easy to get a free pass:
Make something special and overall still good, people won't treat you as harshly.

The difference being that Nintendo has been unable to keep up with the times in regards to their software and online services for 3 generations now. If it was Sony or MS would people put up with it? Probably not.

Aaron D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNayAQG-r4

Sony's latest Greatness Awaits (The King) TV ad is so goddamn embarrassing.

"Oh, look at me. I'm a bored medieval king. My life is sooo boooring."

"I know! I'll thrust myself into the fray, battling fantasy monsters!! Hear me ROARZ!!!"

That may play to the Teen Power-Fantasy set, but to everyone else it's just embarrassing. It's nothing more than violence, violence, violence slathered with juvenile hero-envy.

No wonder people outside of the hobbyist gaming community think Gamers are nothing more than regressive man-children.

So no, unless you tell me I can play Mario Kart on my train to work, you can't sell me a PS4 as a cheaper alternative. Way to miss the point

You mean like you've been able to do on the DS/3DS for YEARS now? And to tie back into my other point--Mario Kart 7 is still $30. It came out 5 years ago.

You also ignored the part where I straight up said--if you're using it exclusively as a portable, it's not a terrible value. But as a console compared to other available consoles, it's a shit value. $80 joy cons? You out of your minds?

Top Bottom