• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Well, not saying that Nintendo's online is worthy of praise, but that doesn't absolve the fact that Sony asking for money for what they give us for PSN is equally laughable.
Okay, potentially controversial opinion more on topic for this thread then:

I'm actually pretty satisfied with the value proposition of PS+ right now. I think it's had its ups and downs, but for the $50-60 I pay per year, I feel pretty alright with the service. I've never been hacked, my download speeds are consistently within the realm of "alright," the number of service disruptions has been fairly minimal, the discounts are phenomenal (I easily make back the cost of my sub on those alone), cloud saves are indispensable (though I want more space) and the IGC has generally been pleasant for me, even if others have felt disappointed. On top of the discounts, in the past year I got P4AU, Broforce, Tropico 5, Furi, Yakuza 5, Resident Evil, Actual Sunlight, Code: Realize, Transformers: Devastation, Dirt 3 and Invisible, Inc.

I can live with that service.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Okay, potentially controversial opinion more on topic for this thread then:

I'm actually pretty satisfied with the value proposition of PS+ right now. I think it's had its ups and downs, but for the $50-60 I pay per year, I feel pretty alright with the service. I've never been hacked, my download speeds are consistently within the realm of "alright," the number of service disruptions has been fairly minimal, the discounts are phenomenal (I easily make back the cost of my sub on those alone), cloud saves are indispensable (though I want more space) and the IGC has generally been pleasant for me, even if others have felt disappointed. On top of the discounts, in the past year I got P4AU, Broforce, Tropico 5, Furi, Yakuza 5, Resident Evil, Actual Sunlight, Code: Realize, Transformers: Devastation, Dirt 3 and Invisible, Inc.

I can live with that service.

Nah, if anything my opinion on the matter is the more controversial one, hahah.

LordRaptor

Communication features being an app on a device specifically designed for communication features is not the worst idea ever.

In fact, it makes a lot of sense.

Online paywalls are bullshit though.

Budi

yet with all of these things combined their service runs circles around anything nintendo has ever done

If something is better than trash, it doesn't mean it's good though. So "this is even worse!" isn't a good argument against criticism.

Honestly I think people should buy as many third parties on switch as they can if they are good ports. I feel that would be the only way it'll get third party support(also gotta at least like the game too).

Yeah I've been thinking this a lot. I'd love to buy something like I am Setsuna on Switch, since I don't yet have it purchased on Steam. But I can't justify maybe paying 20 bucks more for it, just to support the platform. If the difference is something like 10 bucks, then sure it's worth it for the portability and for supporting. This ofcourse goes only with games that don't take benefit of the power of PC. Something like Steep, yeah I would never buy it on Switch. But non AAA games when the price difference isn't huge, sure!

The Witcher 3 is not the best RPG "of all time", the combat is barely serviceable and it wears out its welcome before the halfway mark. Being open-world hampered the game instead of enhancing it too.

Well Planescape Torment
or maybe original Deus Ex
very well might be the best RPG of all time, it doesn't have that hot combat either though. The combat isn't the priority in RPG:s, but for Witcher 3 yeah, it's an action RPG so the combat should be closer to the high level of everything else in that game. Just like best platformer of all time can be something with minimal or bad writing and story telling. It doesn't need to excel in everything. Best RPG can have mediocre combat.

Dr. Buni

I hate people complaining about rising game prices. Cry me a river about your lack of wealth.
Welcome to my ignore list. Don't want to risk reading an unpleasant post of yours again.
It's perfectly logical, not controversial.
Agreed. Nintendo will have to do a lot if they want the Switch to become appealing enough for it to not become another failure.
Honestly I think people should buy as many third parties on switch as they can if they are good ports. I feel that would be the only way it'll get third party support(also gotta at least like the game too).
I am not buying anything on a Nintendo system if it is available somewhere else, specially if it's on PC. It is up for Nintendo to convince third party devs to develop for their systems, not the players.

Prototype

The Last Guardian is extremely over rated.

I think it's partly because this new gen of kids playing games these days want it to be "their" SotC, "their" emotional / artsy game and the threads about people getting emotional over Trico are outlandish and embarrassing. From the very start of the game you have to just accept that you are friends with this thing. There is no build up. It's just a slightly different take on pulling the thorn out of the lions paw. Except it starts right away and feels pretty forced.

In gameplay, the game does absolutely nothing new. Trico is just a harder to control version of Yorda from Ico. It's such a shame that after nearly a decade, all we got was Ico - Pet Edition.

MLB the Show is consistently Sony's most underestimated franchise.

What is not controversial is that sports sims are criminally underrated and ignored in list wars for some reason.

People have been comparing the Switch first-year lineup to the PS4s and ignoring MLB The Show 14, Madden 25, NBA 2K14, and FIFA 14 as if they don't count as a) good games or b) games worth listing as assets to any lineup.

This isn't to bash either launch lineup, but to say that sports sims are so technically-demanding at high levels of play and are a great hybrid of twitch gameplay, long-term strategy, and on-the-fly decision making, but they are treated like they're nothing games here a lot of the time (and other game-focused sites, to be fair). Fighting games are a good parallel to sim sports games in these ways, but those get a lot more respect as games.

I hate people complaining about rising game prices. Cry me a river about your lack of wealth.

Did I suddenly open a tab to the GameFAQs message boards or something?

Besides, game prices are (mostly) falling due to increased competition in the market, so I'm not even sure who is doing complaining about this thing in general.

Betty

Banned
I think Switch will be another huge fail for Nintendo, just like the Wii U.

Exactly my feelings.

I'm buying it, I need to play Zelda even if the improvements over the U version are minimal and Mario Odyssey is a must.

But unless they galvanise the general public with Pokemon Stars or something similar to what the Wii did, we're basically looking at the Wii U 2 here.

I don't know just how controversial this is but I love the microtransactions in Destiny. I buy them all the time because I love the emotes, loved the masks, loved getting armor for the Dawning, etc. I'm a total consumer whore because of it and I like it when people get all bent out of shape saying I'm the reason companies resort to stuff like microtransactions. Oh well! lol

Gears of war has a nice storyline with a great world built around it.

Fallout games were only good while they were isometric RPGs.

Nintendo games were only good when they were on the SNES, past that not so much. (SMW, Zelda, Metroid, etc)

Witcher 3's combat mechanics are absolutely good, and easy.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided has terrible (by todays standards) 3D character modeling and animations.

Uncharted games are good, but nowhere close to be worthy of any GotY awards.
The new Tomb Raider games are better than the Uncharted games.

The Division has a minimal aiming lag that makes it unplayable.

Red Dead Redemption's controls were so terrible it made the game unplayable at times.

The only way Assassin's Creed can be a good game again if they do it in the future/present of the game, and drop the animus bullshit.

Nickelback has some really good songs.
Are you my sworn enemy or something...?

Edit: since I am in the thread, let me whine again about Xenoblade 2 character design for the hundredth time: it is trash, Trash, TRASH.

What is not controversial is that sports sims are criminally underrated and ignored in list wars for some reason.

People have been comparing the Switch first-year lineup to the PS4s and ignoring MLB The Show 14, Madden 25, NBA 2K14, and FIFA 14 as if they don't count as a) good games or b) games worth listing as assets to any lineup.

This isn't to bash either launch lineup, but to say that sports sims are so technically-demanding at high levels of play and are a great hybrid of twitch gameplay, long-term strategy, and on-the-fly decision making, but they are treated like they're nothing games here a lot of the time (and other game-focused sites, to be fair). Fighting games are a good parallel to sim sports games in these ways, but those get a lot more respect as games.
Sports games really are one of the great crossover games that really do have appeal to a niche hardcore crowd, but also to a large casual crowd as well.

3D zelda is shit.

There I said it.

BOTW looks slightly more interesting but overall I ain't buying it until it and the switch hit bargain bin prices.

Majora's Mask is incredibly overrated outside of the atmosphere, the game is terrible like Ocarina of Time.

They cannot compete with the likes of Zelda 1,ALTTP, ALBW, and any of the GBC Zelda games.

sHCf8Qw.gif

Never liked them. They always felt much weaker than any of the 2D games to me. Had a SNES and all of Nintendos 3D offerings were just weak.

Which leads me on to my own controversial opinion. Crash Bandicoot is a much superior game to Mario 64.

Cepheus

3D fighting games feel like they were just an experiment to show off what could be done in 3D to begin with, and they're outdated now. They are all incredibly clunky, and nearly all the major 3D fighting game franchises today started out when 3D in games was a new thing (PS1-era and slightly earlier). The fact that literally the only example I can think of that didn't originate in that time period is Pokken (which is pretty much a Tekken reskin anyway) proves this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
3D fighting games feel like they were just an experiment to show off what could be done in 3D to begin with, and they're outdated now. They are all incredibly clunky, and nearly all the major 3D fighting game franchises today started out when 3D in games was a new thing (PS1-era and slightly earlier). The fact that literally the only example I can think of that didn't originate in that time period is Pokken (which is pretty much a Tekken reskin anyway) proves this.

You're essentially calling Virtua Fighter a tech demo.

Scotia

Banned
Final Fantasy 8 is one of the best FF games and it absolutely does not deserve the hate it gets. Squall is also one of the best protagonists in Final Fantasy.

I feel like almost all of my game preferences and opinions are controversial. For some reason, I love a lot of games that are overwhelmingly hated, and I have really strong criticisms of games that are near-universally considered to be amazing. Probably the ones I catch the most flack for are:

Silent Hill 2 is the most overrated game ever released to the market. The effect it's had on games following its release is the worst double-edged sword ever.

The Last of Us is the second most overrated game ever released to the market. I honestly think that the script is legitimately terrible, but the phenomenal acting masks how poor it is.

Uncharted 4 is a 4/10 game at best, and all four of those points belong solely to Victor Sullivan. This is coming from someone who has Sic Parvis Magna tattooed on her arm.

Final Fantasy XIII has a good combat system and is legitimately fun to play.

There is absolutely nothing enjoyable or entertaining about Resident Evil 7.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
Ocarina of Time is boring to me. Tried to play it, couldn't make it past the first few hours.

Sonic Rivals and Sonic Heroes are underrated.

NFL and NBA Street need remakes.

Top Bottom