• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

Not like this 😭😭😭😭😭😭

I love that a new Shenmue is finally being made, but everything looks so absolute trash.

I will still play this obviously, but if this is all they have to show after all this time I don't have much hope it's going to be any good :( :( :(

celsowmbr

Banned
36584934811_499f277bbc_h.jpg

36328346440_d186aca0d0_h.jpg

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/21/shenmue-iii-the-first-teaser/

KageMaru

Not like this 😭😭😭😭😭😭

I love that a new Shenmue is finally being made, but everything looks so absolute trash.

I will still play this obviously, but if this is all they have to show after all this time I don't have much hope it's going to be any good :( :( :(

I can understand concerns over the character models, but how do the environments look like trash? One of the best things I took away from this trailer is they are trying their best to retain those little details in the world that Shenmue is known for.

flattie

I don't have any major issue with what has been shown outside of the facial animation. The environments are perfect and I like the stylised character designs. Ryo looks very close to the artwork renders from the original games too.

That being said, they should take as much time as they can afford to get this game where it needs to be - lest it disappoints in such a way as to permanently kill the series.

Will continue to keep faith - if there is anybody in the industry who has earned it, it's YS.

Listonosh

Environments look stunning, but those character models and expressions ruin that beauty. Yikes. Hope that's just placeholder expressions and that they'll actually have life to them by the time the game's out

I mean, faces are bad (like, really kill-me-now bad), but overall, I like it. Never played the first 2 games but remember how incredible they looked at the time (and not just gameplay, the graphics blew me away as a kid, it was the main thing making me want a DC).
Apart from the faces, animation, textures, environment, atmosphere, are all great to amazing, and I'm glad I backed this. I may end up regretting, but I just wanted to give them a chance and see how it went.
That being said, there's no way this is coming out next year, late 2019 in the earliest. I'm also intrigued regarding Sony's take on this. After being presented at their E3 showcase I was expecting some more intervention on their part. Maybe let the Naughty Dogs do a workshop with the Shenmue team or something.

Whompa02

The logo, character models, animations, and how the environments are rendered, are just not there.

Doesn't help that they're adding fire textures and doing a ton of photoshop retouching on these images to make them seem better than they are.

It's just not good. I don't see them fixing a lot of this stuff before release.

orioto

Good Art™
Still seems like there is just no art director in the game or something.. Everything looks like a random student work

Metalgus

Banned
Still seems like there is just no art director in the game or something.. Everything looks like a random student work

I've seen this comment elsewhere in the thread. You're saying the art is inconsistent? Can you be more specific/give example? I'm failing to understand (apart from the character models which look a bit too cartoony for the more realistic backgrounds).

My feeling exactly.
Environnements looks detailed but as for the rest.... It just feel amateurish as fuck.
-The shader work is lazy and look like default UE4.
-The animations are stiff and look like amateur doing UE4 demos.
-There's no facial animation.
-The characters clash wuth the environnement. They look like they dont belong here and the materials look so different.
-The lighting direction is clumsy. Light sources are inaccurate and looks like default UE4 lights.

I wont lie, if I could get a refund, I'd do it.
This doesnt look like a disaster, but it surely doesnt inspire confidence. Especially when they claim it releases next year. We have seen no gameplay and what we saw is really early. They should already delay it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
PDZ may not have turned out great (MotorStorm did, I'll fight you), but it was graphically easily in league with other Xbox 360 launch titles, whilst the furore around wallguy was that the game looked worse than Halo CE based on that shot.

There's also The Order 1886, which whilst not a mess graphically... well, this comparison says it all.

F4qbh57.gif

IFDRBJs.gif

I don't want to get into a long drawn out argument surrounding Horizon, because at the end of the day I'll agree that it's probably the best looking game out right now... but whilst the overall effect of the graphics in the retail game stack up well with the reveal, there are various areas it looked better at the time, in terms of Aloy's interactions with foliage, shadow detail, and even her hair and outfit looked more consistent, with less identifiable seams than the retail game.

w3jyoPF.jpg

Hey I LOVED motorstorm, but let's not pretend that was a mess. Very little content, nightmarish load times, messy online integration post launch, etc. But yeah there are definitely significant improvements in a year time, but this game looks far more than a year or so off to me is my point. I don't see this small team turning it around dramatically.

Then why did you bring up the best looking "realistic" game in video game history? If your point is that a $6 million game will never look as good as a $54 million game, well duh! That's not what anybody else is talking about.

And why don't you think a year is enough time to animate 4 or 5 faces? All the game artists you know must be super slow at their jobs.

I bring it up to point out that 1 year of dev time is minor even to the biggest studios and budgets. Very simple to grasp.

Maiar_m

If this weren't Shemnue, there would be nobody willing to defend this trailer. A year is relatively short in gamedev time, if they really intend to release this next year then those awful character models won't be fixed by then IMO. This isn't "just fix Chun-Li", but "just fix it all". I wonder if it's bad art direction rather than technical incompetence, like they were trying to keep the aesthetics of the old games but just too much so.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If this weren't Shemnue, there would be nobody willing to defend this trailer. A year is relatively short in gamedev time, if they really intend to release this next year then those awful character models won't be fixed by then IMO. This isn't "just fix Chun-Li", but "just fix it all". I wonder if it's bad art direction rather than technical incompetence, like they were trying to keep the aesthetics of the old games but just too much so.

Agreed ENTIRELY. It's sterile, it's clunky, it's grossly dated. It looks like a fanmade UE4 game at this point.

Arkeband

Banned
It's not even the faces really, because that could work even if he looks super anime compared to the boilerplate UE4 looking environment.

His head is super tiny. And the other guy's head is a bulbous monstrosity. It's hilarious.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's not even the faces really, because that could work even if he looks super anime compared to the boilerplate UE4 looking environment.

His head is super tiny. And the other guy's head is a bulbous monstrosity. It's hilarious.

Right. It's not just the animations. The whole design looks like they're wearing mascot costumes.

Newboi

I'm as hyped as any Shenmue fan, but that trailer honestly looked like a pre-vis work up to pitch to investors. This vid looks like something that would have been shown at the inception of the kickstarter. I can't help put think this demonstrates that they are very very very early in development. The artstyle shown also has an extreme lack of cohesion.

Regardless, I'm happy that more of the game was shown, or at least what they are aiming for. I completely trust Yu Suzuki, so I'm not too worried. I'm just thinking that this game won't hit until fall 2019 at the earliest.

openrob

It is worth pointing out that the game development is using Agile model as opposed to waterfall.

I have limited knowledge about it, but after a bit of reading it means that instead of developing one aspect and moving on (e.g finish level design, move on to mechanics, finish and move on to visuals) everything is constantly going through stages of development and redevelopment.

agileandwaterfall.gif

The point of this is to get constant feedback. Instead of developing models, and getting feedback, then developing the movement and getting feedback, then developing environments...and getting feedback they instead quickly develop a slice (as we have seen today) and get feedback overall then run through another sprint of development.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131151/paper_burns_game_design_with_.php

Tbf I think this is good, we get to see how things are coming along, and they get feedback.

Doesn't explain the font and bad edit though hehe.

Fix it all? The enviroments look incredible.

ianpm31

It is worth pointing out that the game development is using Agile model as opposed to waterfall.

I have limited knowledge about it, but after a bit of reading it means that instead of developing one aspect and moving on (e.g finish level design, move on to mechanics, finish and move on to visuals) everything is constantly going through stages of development and redevelopment.

The point of this is to get constant feedback. Instead of developing models, and getting feedback, then developing the movement and getting feedback, then developing environments...and getting feedback they instead quickly develop a slice (as we have seen today) and get feedback overall then run through another sprint of development.

Tbf I think this is good, we get to see how things are coming along, and they get feedback.

Same thing with the original Shenmue. It went through constant changes because Yu Suzuki uses agile methodology development structure.

Well, it's no No Man's Sky level of denial but everything from the color palette to lighting over motion blur to shading effects are straight standard UE4 stuff. Combine it with the bad character models and animations and clashing art styles and you get a glorified fangame.

It's absurd that a game like Shenmue doesn't have a strong artistic vision and realization.

Newboi

agileandwaterfall.gif

Is Waterfall even a viable development process for larges-scale games? Are there many studios who don't use Agile? It's rare for me to find a company who doesn't use SCRUM or some form of Agile for software development nowadays.

Anyway, I'm personally fine with what was shown, but I do think it's indicative that they are still much earlier in the development process than previously thought. It's understandable though; I'd personally be surprised for the game to look much further along since Shenmue has such a granular level of detail in assets and interactions, as well as larger scope and scale.

Hesh

Looking good. Unfortunately, the general public isn't privy to game development and doesn't really know how and when facial animation is inserted in game development, hence the backlash. It's nice to see they at least put in some mouth flap this early, but for most that isn't enough it seems. Oh well, I'm really looking forward to playing this hopefully in a year.

jett

D-Member

I really wonder what have the modelers/artists worked on before. It just looks like really amateur work.

Synth

Hey I LOVED motorstorm, but let's not pretend that was a mess. Very little content, nightmarish load times, messy online integration post launch, etc. But yeah there are definitely significant improvements in a year time, but this game looks far more than a year or so off to me is my point. I don't see this small team turning it around dramatically.

I wasn't trying to argue that I think they'll be able to turn it around (though I'd expect it to not quite be this bad at release). I was just answering your question regarding games that improved dramatically. We were only referring to their appearance, and so other aspects of MotorStorm don't really factor. It was possibly the best looking game on release, and looked horrendous at its first non-CG reveal.

There's more than enough time for Shenmue's faces to be fixed... the real question is if the talent to do so is there. Even placeholder models shouldn't look this bad, and Shenhua's actually look far worse than she was over a year ago. It seems that after they got the initial complaints regarding Ryo's face, they seem to have simply loaded the Dreamcast models in and increased the polycounts on them.

Is this game even going to be possible to play and follow without playing the originals?
Slightly.

I think the real problem is that 2 will be very hard to summarize. 1 can be treated as a prequel if you need to, but 2 really needs to be experienced.

Is Waterfall even a viable development process for larges-scale games? Are there many studios who don't use Agile? It's rare for me to find a company who doesn't use SCRUM or some form of Agile for software development nowadays.

Anyway, I'm personally fine with what was shown, but I do think it's indicative that they are still much earlier in the development process than previously thought. It's understandable though; I'd personally be surprised for the game to look much further along since Shenmue has such a granular level of detail in assets and interactions, as well as larger scope and scale.
So, the fascinating thing about this to me is that he seemed to be talking about the game design being agile, not just the software.

Which, if true, does seem like a novel way to frame it. It's not like naughty dog went into UC4 not sure what gameplay mechanics would be used -- but that's exactly what applying agile to game design (of a sequel!) would mean.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I wasn't trying to argue that I think they'll be able to turn it around (though I'd expect it to not quite be this bad at release). I was just answering your question regarding games that improved dramatically. We were only referring to their appearance, and so other aspects of MotorStorm don't really factor. It was possibly the best looking game on release, and looked horrendous at its first non-CG reveal.

There's more than enough time for Shenmue's faces to be fixed... the real question is if the talent to do so is there. Even placeholder models shouldn't look this bad, and Shenhua's actually look far worse than she was over a year ago. It seems that after they got the initial complaints regarding Ryo's face, they seem to have simply loaded the Dreamcast models in and increased the polycounts on them.

I guess my thing is that it doesn't just need faces or animations. It needs a whole overhaul. The direction of it looks so poor.

i hope they put lots more work into the char. models. they have to look appealing at least. delay as long as you want if possible. don't release with shitty models, please. my last replays of shen I+II aren't far back and the models there still look fine.

Ogni-XR21

I backed this and I'm a huge Shenmue fan but this looks rough.

There's alway the possibilty that it will end up looking better, but let's be honest that almost never happens...

Budi

Hmm, I'm still fine with my 30 euros kickstarter pledge. Ofcourse I hope that some work will go to those faces or more precisely facial animations. But in the end, meh, I don't mind it too much.

From my understanding it's next to impossible to find a professional studio not doing SCRUM or similiar traditional agile development. The time of the Prince2 development method is long gone.

SMG

Should I be expecting this to have any urban environments? All I have seen so far is rural.

Spoilers based off old plans for the series.
Probably just rural. If you look back at the chapter arts created when this was Virtua Fighter RPG as soon as rural China shows up its all based there from then.

upload image gif

Is this game even going to be possible to play and follow without playing the originals?

The first 2 have very simple stories. The joy is in how well paced they are, nice and subtle leading naturally into over the top action crazy. While not the best answer, a quick summation of events before jumping into 3 would be doable.

muteki

Spoilers based off old plans for the series.
Probably just rural. If you look back at the chapter arts created when this was Virtua Fighter RPG as soon as rural China shows up its all based there from then.

upload image gif

The first 2 have very simple stories. The joy is in how well paced they are, nice and subtle leading naturally into over the top action crazy. While not the best answer, a quick summation of events before jumping into 3 would be doable.

Thanks. I only ever played the first game and I have 2 for xbox but have never finished it.

Top Bottom