• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26 - It's on!

You know what bothers me about this fight? That there is nothing, absolutely nothing to lose for these guys. Nothing's at stake. They're both going to walk away with fuckin truckloads of money, so who gives a shit who wins, my bet is they sure as hell won't. So many of my co-workers, friends, family are hyping this fight up so much, and I just don't understand why.

I'm a party pooper.

MMA Vs. boxing is at stake. I see MMA getting even more popular if Conor wins.

I'm repeating myself here. But... Canelo is thicker, faster, punches harder, and doubtlessly has better boxing-oriented cardio than Conor. Oh, and he's also got the modest benefit of being one of the best boxers of his generation rather than, like, not a boxer. When Canelo fought Floyd, Canelo barely won an exchange and he lost all 12 rounds.

Canelo.
P4P top-5 boxer.
Barely won an exchange.
Lost. All. 12. Rounds.
Canelo.

In Conor's favor? Well, he's confident! And... the reach! Mayweather = pinhead. Conor is so confident. That swagger! The reach! Such smooth movement! The angles!!!!

Acting like Conor might win should be a banable offense. ;-)

I'm repeating myself here. But... Canelo is thicker, faster, punches harder, and doubtlessly has better boxing-oriented cardio than Conor. Oh, and he's also got the modest benefit of being one of the best boxers of his generation rather than, like, not a boxer. When Canelo fought Floyd, Canelo barely won an exchange and he lost all 12 rounds.

Canelo.
P4P top-5 boxer.
Barely won an exchange.
Lost. All. 12. Rounds.
Canelo.

In Conor's favor? Well, he's confident! And... the reach! Mayweather = pinhead. Conor is so confident. That swagger! The reach! Such smooth movement! The angles!!!!

Canelo is definitely not a P4P top 5 boxer, but your point still stands.

Edit: Well damn, I just looked it up and people have Canelo as a P4P top 5 boxer, so you're right. LOL

He would never be that high up on my list.

a.wd

People can look at the skill gap between the two fighters, but what many people do not look at is how confident Conor is. That should be a worry for Floyd. Conor won't freeze up in the ring. I believe Conor thinks he can win. I believe he thinks he is going to KO Floyd.

People really forget how important that is to a fighter. You can be the best fighter in the world, but if you have any doubts, you will not win the fight. You have to believe you will win. Many great fighters do not believe they can win when they go into fights. This is likely going to be a big thing with Canelo next month. The GGG meme is harder to defeat than GGG himself.

Just saying

https://youtu.be/mtJz05PuVO4

BadAss2961

Canelo is definitely not a P4P top 5 boxer, but your point still stands.

Edit: Well damn, I just looked it up and people have Canelo as a P4P top 5 boxer, so you're right. LOL

He would never be that high up on my list.
I can't really justify putting anyone other than Ward and GGG over him. Crawford is getting there, but needs a big fight. Same with Loma... Chocolatito took an L (even though I remember thinking he won...) Then there's Thurman.

Canelo's top 5 at absolute worst.

MMA vs Boxing is NOT at stake. MMA nor boxing is going to get popular after this fight regardless who wins. Conor will definitely become more popular in the extremely very unlikely event he wins.

If Conor wins the UFC's next PPV with him as the headliner will be monstrous. It could even surpass the Conor/Nate 2 numbers. Conor will be more popular and all the fighters that are put on the same card he headlines will be more popular thus having bigger chances to create a star = MMA gets more popular.

Macattk15

I'm not sure why people criticize Conor flailing his arms like that as weak ass punching .... he is clearly just loosening up with his "ido movement" shit. Not actually punching.

The other shit you can make fun of .... the flailing is dumb.

This fight will be so staged it's not even funny. It's just a cross promotion for Boxing and UFC. There is no way Mayweathers streak will be allowed to be broken by someone who is not even a boxer.

I can't really justify putting anyone other than Ward and GGG over him. Crawford is getting there, but needs a big fight. Same with Loma... Chocolatito took an L (even though I remember thinking he won...) Then there's Thurman.

Canelo's top 5 at absolute worst.

Yeah, it just depends on your criteria on how you rank fighters for your personal P4P lists. It's not an exact science. Off his record alone, I could see an argument why he's a top 5 P4P fighter. However for me, I have seen little growth from Canelo since the Mayweather fight and I just wasn't impressed with that performance at all.

I think Canelo is pretty good fighter who lacks any type of dynamism and is just solid all around. It's why I think Golovkin beats him.

BadAss2961

I'm not sure why people criticize Conor flailing his arms like that as weak ass punching .... he is clearly just loosening up with his "ido movement" shit. Not actually punching.

The other shit you can make fun of .... the flailing is dumb.
He just looks corny doing some of his routines. People have been making fun of Conor and his movement coach at least since Diaz 1.

It's working for him now since he's been winning... But If the day comes where he loses back to back fights, people will start questioning his training and suggest he get a better team.

jett

D-Member
After Floyd said he is going to make $300M+ on this one fight I feel like....

Conor winning a split decision which leads to be a rematch and then eventually a trilogy could happen.

Hence making Floyd a billionaire.

ExrkoYS.gif

A Mayweather match that goes to decision will be the most boring shit in the world. I have no idea why would people sign up for another, doubt they would buy into the hype again.

And Conor has sub-zero chance of winning on decision.

Mesousa

Banned
Yeah, it just depends on your criteria on how you rank fighters for your personal P4P lists. It's not an exact science. Off his record alone, I could see an argument why he's a top 5 P4P fighter. However for me, I have seen little growth from Canelo since the Mayweather fight and I just wasn't impressed with that performance at all.

I think Canelo is pretty good fighter who lacks any type of dynamism and is just solid all around. It's why I think Golovkin beats him.

I think if he beats GGG he has to be put in the top 5 p4p.

BadAss2961

What about Spence?
Forgot about Spence. But yeah, he's a big fight away from making his case too.

Sorry Ward fans, but the winner of Canelo vs GGG will definitely move to #1, especially if it's decisive. This fight is too big an attraction... Spence would leap right behind them next to Ward by beating Thurman.

I think if he beats GGG he has to be put in the top 5 p4p.

Without question.

Forgot about Spence. But yeah, he's a big fight away from making his case too.

Sorry Ward fans, but the winner of Canelo vs GGG will definitely move to #1, especially if it's decisive. This fight is too big an attraction... Spence would leap right behind them next to Ward by beating Thurman.

I don't think either one will move to #1, nor should they.

The GGG hype will be off the charts if he stops Canelo. Canelo will be a god if he stops GGG. Fair to Ward or not, they're taking that #1.

You're right, I can definitely see people allow the hype of that to cloud their judgement. Ward stopping Kovalev is more impressive than either one stopping each other. Although Canelo stopping Golovkin would be very close.

I wouldn't even mind if Canelo got his time to shine on top for doing that.

Canelo.
P4P top-5 boxer.
Barely won an exchange.
Lost. All. 12. Rounds.
Canelo.

Canelo would beat the shit outta Conor, and Floyd basically shut him out. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Anth0ny

Canelo.
P4P top-5 boxer.
Barely won an exchange.
Lost. All. 12. Rounds.
Canelo.

bruh that was like 4 years ago

mayweather's an out of shape old man now

IC5

This fight wont go to decision because there is no way Conor goes the distance. If he doesn't over power Floyd in the first 6 rounds, he will gas and Floyd will chop him up, no question.

Turin

Banned
With the way Floyd's trying to sell the old man angle, All Access should play some Richard Pryor audio at the end.

"His toes is dead. Fingernails are dirty. Hair's falling out.... He doesn't stand a chance."

Nah the idea of Conor gassing early is really unlikely at this point imo. He is in insane shape.

I could see him gassing after Rd 6 but he will have a tank up until that point at least. Paulie said Conor's best rounds were 11 and 12

rugioh

Banned
Conor's camp isn't foolish, they are probably banking on his training allowing him to last 6 rounds or so cardiowise. How long he lasts before Floyd adapts to his approach is the real timer.

This fight will be so staged it's not even funny. It's just a cross promotion for Boxing and UFC. There is no way Mayweathers streak will be allowed to be broken by someone who is not even a boxer.

Mayweather will take of that by humiliating Mcgregor, and then falling to his knees after the victory, praising God for just making him 100+ million dollars for beating up someone not good enough to be a sparring partner.

Turin

Banned
No amount of conditioning and swagger is going to change the fact that Conor has shit defense for boxing. This will be the easiest target Floyd's had since Arturo Gatti.

Conor does have better physical attributes than Arturo had so that might keep him alive for a little longer if he plays his cards right.

I think Floyd's going to throw more body shots than usual.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
No amount of conditioning and swagger is going to change the fact that Conor has shit defense for boxing. This will be the easiest target Floyd's had since Arturo Gatti.

Conor does have better physical attributes than Arturo had so that might keep him alive for a little longer if he plays his cards right.

I think Floyd's going to throw more body shots than usual.
Everyone has stated that, Conor's body type demands it. Everyone that has ever been in the ring with Conor has stated that he doesn't like body shots.

This is Virgil Hunter, Andre Ward's trainer

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/7/21/16008198/hunter-mcgregor-suffers-from-the-fighters-curse

Hunter on if he was able to get any insight to how the fight will play out based on Floyd and Conor’s face-off where Conor displayed his physique:

“It was interesting because I did and one of the things that I noticed is that [McGregor’s] body - he has the waist of a model. He doesn’t have a fight trunk...he has a waist as opposed to a trunk. There’s a difference. You know, a trunk is strong, powerful, thick — not only be able to take it but get out of the way. But he has more of a model’s waist and if I’m thinking like Floyd, I’m thinking about the body because his body’s gonna be very vulnerable to body shots. Everything is sitting right there for you to touch. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of in-fighting on Floyd’s behalf.

A Mayweather match that goes to decision will be the most boring shit in the world. I have no idea why would people sign up for another, doubt they would buy into the hype again.

Its just going to be a repeat of the Paccio fight but more of a chance that Mayweather will win by KO...

Im not going to waste money on this.

Moze

Banned
If it makes you feel better then go ahead with that notion. When Floyd wins I want no excuses.

I do not think Conor wins this at all. His confidence will really help him but it is unlikely he is able to land a KO. He has no choice but to KO Floyd and it needs to be pretty early on if he is going to win.

You say that as if Floyd hasn't fought plenty of boxers who were used to fighting on the big stage and winning like De La Hoya, Mosely, Cotto, Hatton, or Pacquaio. All future Hall of Famer BOXERS and PPV draws in their own right.

Cotto and DLH were the only ones to really bring it out of those fighters. All of those fighters except for Cotto were on their way out when they fought Floyd. Pacquaio certainly froze in the ring against Mayweather. Mosley looked a wreck in their fight. Nerves got Hatton too. Hatton was coked up to hell and back to deal with the pressure of that fight.

kinggroin

Banned
MMA Vs. boxing is at stake. I see MMA getting even more popular if Conor wins.

Exactly this.

Ugh....I cannot stand Mayweather and wish it was anyone else representing...

I have knots in my belly. MMA fans are going to be insufferable if the self appointed TBE loses to an amateur boxer.

Oh lawd there go the knots again.

kinggroin

Banned

You realize him being filthy rich is BECAUSE people buy into it everytime?

For Conor to have any chance he just needs to not give a fuck and go balls out. He'll probably get countered and KO'd but that's the only shot he has. He won't win a round otherwise. I'd rather have an entertaining 3 rounds then 12 rounds of Floyd dominating.

MMA vs Boxing is NOT at stake. MMA nor boxing is going to get popular after this fight regardless who wins. Conor will definitely become more popular in the extremely very unlikely event he wins.

It would sound better if it was phrased: "The fate of two UNIVERSES are at stake!" Why am I not promoting this event?!?!

Its just going to be a repeat of the Paccio fight but more of a chance that Mayweather will win by KO...

Im not going to waste money on this.

But if Conor's aware that Floydd will be aiming for his body I think his trainer (if he's competent) will be telling him some strats to deal with it. Conor in public needs to go: "If Mayweather is plannin' an infight, he's gonna see somethin' special"

Moze

Banned
Exactly this.

Ugh....I cannot stand Mayweather and wish it was anyone else representing...

I have knots in my belly. MMA fans are going to be insufferable if the self appointed TBE loses to an amateur boxer.

Oh lawd there go the knots again.

The drama that comes with Conor winning outweighs any smug MMA nonsense. I am a boxing fan and have never watched MMA in my life. I want Conor to win this. How can anyone not want that sort of drama?

Top Bottom