• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26 - It's on!

VoxPop

I wonder what everyone's reaction would be if McGregor somehow magically came out looking like prime RJJ or Toney and just worked Mayweather for 12 rounds with his newfound flowiness.

I'm repeating myself here. But... Canelo is thicker, faster, punches harder, and doubtlessly has better boxing-oriented cardio than Conor. Oh, and he's also got the modest benefit of being one of the best boxers of his generation rather than, like, not a boxer. When Canelo fought Floyd, Canelo barely won an exchange and he lost all 12 rounds.

Canelo.
P4P top-5 boxer.
Barely won an exchange.
Lost. All. 12. Rounds.
Canelo.

In Conor's favor? Well, he's confident! And... the reach! Mayweather = pinhead. Conor is so confident. That swagger! The reach! Such smooth movement! The angles!!!!

Acting like Conor might win should be a banable offense. ;-)

who the fook is this guy?

Exactly this.

Ugh....I cannot stand Mayweather and wish it was anyone else representing...

I have knots in my belly. MMA fans are going to be insufferable if the self appointed TBE loses to an amateur boxer.

Oh lawd there go the knots again.

Haha i would never stop mocking boxing if Conor wins but i know it's not very likely.

I wonder what everyone's reaction would be if McGregor somehow magically came out looking like prime RJJ or Toney and just worked Mayweather for 12 rounds with his newfound flowiness.

What would your reaction be if Mayweather grows wings and flies away with McGregor through the arena?

Both are about as likely.

What would your reaction be if Mayweather grows wings and flies away with McGregor through the arena?

Both are about as likely.

6EUHSMr.jpg

I'm gonna be in Edinburgh the night (or earlier morning here) of the fight.

I was gonna go and try and see it at a pub but I'm not sure that is a good idea in regards to my personal safety.

DogDude

Does anyone know where I can get the cheapest tickets from? Anything below 1k I think I'd pull the trigger. But now it's a little too high from where I'm looking.

kodecraft

I'm repeating myself here. But... Canelo is thicker, faster, punches harder, and doubtlessly has better boxing-oriented cardio than Conor. Oh, and he's also got the modest benefit of being one of the best boxers of his generation rather than, like, not a boxer. When Canelo fought Floyd, Canelo barely won an exchange and he lost all 12 rounds.

Canelo.
P4P top-5 boxer.
Barely won an exchange.
Lost. All. 12. Rounds.
Canelo.

In Conor's favor? Well, he's confident! And... the reach! Mayweather = pinhead. Conor is so confident. That swagger! The reach! Such smooth movement! The angles!!!!

Acting like Conor might win should be a banable offense. ;-)

That was a weight drained Canelo. Floyd won't box a 154lb Canelo.

Tekniqs

no need to wonder cuz that shit ain't happening

Two pounds isn't weight draining, especially when canelo said he'd go to 150 for Floyd

http://www.boxingscene.com/saul-alvarez-ill-drop-150-floyd-mayweather-jr--46563

Between 154 limit and 150,they met in the middle, 152. Canelo should not have said that.

this excuse is hilarious. Canelo weighed in at 153lbs in the fight before against Floyd. I believe it was against Trout.

MIMIC

Banned
I really don't understand this is supposed to work. McGregor is an MMA fighter and Mayweather is a boxer. And they're gonna box. Isn't McGregor at a severe disadvantage?

FUME5

I really don't understand this is supposed to work. McGregor is an MMA fighter and Mayweather is a boxer. And they're gonna box. Isn't McGregor at a severe disadvantage?

Not at all, he has a very good chance of winning.

May I interest you in a wager?

jWILL253

Banned

He certainly is in terms of the stamina that will be expected of him in a boxing match.

Even if Conor manages to make it through the first 6 rounds with a reasonable chance at winning, he's still gotta manage to go the distance against the most durable, healthy, & fastest defensive boxer in the business. MMA fighters train for three 5 minute rounds with 1 minute breaks in between. That's 15 minutes of fighting & moving. He now has to train for 12 rounds at 3 minutes each, 1 minute between rounds. That's 36 minutes of action, just double the fight time of an MMA bout, assuming it goes the distance.

Can Conor really last that long?

Haunted

A Mayweather match that goes to decision will be the most boring shit in the world. I have no idea why would people sign up for another, doubt they would buy into the hype again.
That's what people said about Mayweather as a fighter after the Pacquiao bout was boring as shit.

Yet here we are.

Haunted

The point is, this shit is a dick-waving circus and when Conor and Floyd finally stop waving dicks they still won't solve anything. And I don't mean that in any kind of "fighting is never the answer" way. In order to explain, let's take a look at how modern boxing works. In most sports, the top athletes compete to determine the best in the world. In modern boxing, the top athletes avoid each other to protect perfect records and manipulate public interest in order to turn a cycle of anticipation and disappointment into money.

The way boxing is evolving, there will soon be 4,000 divisions and organizations, each with its own undefeated champion and a single battered man who suffers all the sport's losses.
That's a pretty vicious takedown of boxing, hoo boy.

IKizzLE

He certainly is in terms of the stamina that will be expected of him in a boxing match.

Even if Conor manages to make it through the first 6 rounds with a reasonable chance at winning, he's still gotta manage to go the distance against the most durable, healthy, & fastest defensive boxer in the business. MMA fighters train for three 5 minute rounds with 1 minute breaks in between. That's 15 minutes of fighting & moving. He now has to train for 12 rounds at 3 minutes each, 1 minute between rounds. That's 36 minutes of action, just double the fight time of an MMA bout, assuming it goes the distance.

Can Conor really last that long?

Championship fights and main bouts on PPV's are 5, 5 min rounds. All of Conor's previous fights have all been 5, 5 min rounds. And you have to take into account the stamina needed to not only box, but kick and wrestle as well.

TACPhilly

Banned
Championship fights and main bouts on PPV's are 5, 5 min rounds. All of Conor's previous fights have all been 5, 5 min rounds. And you have to take into account the stamina needed to not only box, but kick and wrestle as well.

How often has mcgregor gona 5 for 5? I know i could Google it but the point is mayweather regularly goes over 30 minutes without losing much energy and focus.

Top Bottom