• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Switch releases November 10

AR15mex

Gaffers Quick question, If I have never played either Doom and Skyrim.

Which one should I get?

Also, I want to mention that money and playtime is an issue so I can buy 1 and play around 45 mins a day top.

Which one should I get?

Also, I want to mention that money and playtime is an issue so I can buy 1 and play around 45 mins a day top.

Skyrim will probably last you longer but I think DOOM is by far the better game.

I would say go for DOOM if you are okay with not getting 80 hours in a playthrough or something like that.

Ridley327

Which one should I get?

Are you more in the mood for a fast-paced FPS with a decent-sized campaign and incentives to replay, or one big open world RPG that can last hundreds of hours if you're so inclined?

Drackhorn

Which one should I get?

I might be the odd one out but I'd say Skyrim. Doom was a little ruined for me by having that quick pacing which felt nothing like it's predecessors.

Grabbing this Day one... even though I'll be knee deep in Mario.

I hope we get the option to download only the single player campaign instead of the campaign + multiplayer.

Also want to know what the size of the download is.

... At this point I’m not gonna buy any 2018 games. I’ll be working through everything I didn’t pick up in 2017. I’ll pick this up after Skyrim, which will be sometime after Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

For some reason I thought both Doom Switch/VFR and Skyrim Switch/VR shared release dates. Now I'm sad Doom VFR doesnt have a definite release date pinned down, just "Fall/Winter 2017"

Skyrim Switch/VR still set for Nov 17th

So, about that price... All the DLC is included in the Switch version (they say it in the video, around 2:10 and after).

I don't know what's in the DLCs, but I doubt that the on sale version has all of those? So doesn't that mean that the Switch version is not so abusely priced?

Shiggy

For some reason I thought both Doom Switch/VFR and Skyrim Switch/VR shared release dates. Now I'm sad Doom VFR doesnt have a definite release date pinned down, just "Fall/Winter 2017"

Skyrim Switch/VR still set for Nov 17th

Doom VFR has already been scheduled for Dec 1 for quite some time.

Cuningas de Häme;252170870 said:
So, about that price... All the DLC is included in the Switch version (they say it in the video, around 2:10 and after).

I don't know what's in the DLCs, but I doubt that the on sale version has all of those? So doesn't that mean that the Switch version is not so abusely priced?

The DLC is free on all platforms:
https://bethesda.net/en/article/3lw...om-update-6-66-all-dlc-unlocked-free-weekends

Bluth54

The DLC was just multiplayer content and was eventually made free for everyone so it's not a big surprise it's free in this version.

How much are the DLC on other platforms?

If docked mode is running at 720p then what are those extra resources going towards?

Either increased AA or other effects, or they just didn't change the settings for the docked mode. It may be the latter, since it looks like Panic Button are doing the same thing for Rocket League.

It takes extra work to optimize for two targets (handheld mode and docked mode) so if they are under a time crunch this makes sense, especially for a small porting studio. It's possible that they change the docked mode settings after launch via a patch if so.

EDIT: Or (at least with DOOM, less likely for Rocket League) it runs at dynamic resolution in handheld mode and uses the extra grunt to hit 720p more often in docked mode.

GDGF

Soothsayer
New footage looks great. Damn don't know if I can get this AND Skyrim this year. Either way at least Bethesda gets some of my money.

Switch schedule is packed, yeah?

So it's looking like Skyrim, Doom and Resident Evil Revelations for me in November, then Xenoblade and Gear.Club in early December. I'll wait until Christmas for LA Noire.

As a Nintendo fan, I'm not used to such a packed lineup. :p

Either increased AA or other effects, or they just didn't change the settings for the docked mode. It may be the latter, since it looks like Panic Button are doing the same thing for Rocket League.

It takes extra work to optimize for two targets (handheld mode and docked mode) so if they are under a time crunch this makes sense, especially for a small porting studio. It's possible that they change the docked mode settings after launch via a patch if so.

EDIT: Or (at least with DOOM, less likely for Rocket League) it runs at dynamic resolution in handheld mode and uses the extra grunt to hit 720p more often in docked mode.
It won't be the first game to launch that way. Minecraft was 720p both docked and handheld. It was later patched to be 1080p docked. I hope there is some difference between the two modes but I'm mainly excited about portable Doom so I will be okay even if there isn't any docked improvements.

The pricing is way too high, as is Skyrim's. These can be found on other consoles for less than half the price, so you are just being greedy. If they end up underperforming that price is to blame, not the "lack of interest" from Nintendo's audience.

Give it a couple weeks until Black Friday and it will probably be half price.

Kureransu

It seems clear now that Nintendo intentionally left out November for first party (Switch) releases in order to let third parties get some of the holiday sales rush. Hopefully that works out well for everyone.
This actually has me wondering just how big the dlc is for BotW. I'm almost confident it's going to be large enough for Nintendo to give it the November release spot. I feel like it's almost a rerelease of Zelda in a sense.

Zalman

This actually has me wondering just how big the dlc is for BotW. I'm almost confident it's going to be large enough for Nintendo to give it the November release spot. I feel like it's almost a rerelease of Zelda in a sense.
At this point they should delay it until early next year. Really not much reason to put it out when people will be playing Skyrim and Xenoblade.

It seems clear now that Nintendo intentionally left out November for first party (Switch) releases in order to let third parties get some of the holiday sales rush. Hopefully that works out well for everyone.

This is definitely the case, since Nintendo is distributing Skyrim and probably DOOM as well.

To be fair I'd imagine it'll be a locked 30 in docked, cant see there being any drops

That's a great question. We've still heard basically nothing regarding details about it... wouldn't be surprised if it got delayed into next year, strategically or not.

To be fair I'd imagine it'll be a locked 30 in docked, cant see there being any drops

Huh? I said dynamic resolution, I doubt there will be framerate issues. And I don't think docked mode would help with frame rate all that much.

leburn98

I'm actually kind of disappointed with the release date as I have so much coming out around that time that I don't think I can afford it. Maybe there will be a Black Friday deal I can hop on.

Yagami_Sama

November 11th ? I was not expecting this. I was expecting this for mid December. Seem crazy to think that in one week we will have Doom and in the next week Skyrim.

I really hope that both games are a success and Bethesda keep bringing their games to Switch.

Pastry

Banned

Which one should I get?

Do you have a PS4 or Xbox? I bet Doom will be super cheap Black Friday just about everywhere. So get Doom there and then Skyrim for Switch?

Seik

Banned
The really surprising thing here is that it comes out before Skyrim, which was announced ever since the Switch was unveiled!

Day 1....probably...depending on where I am with Odyssey.

SRTtoZ

Price for sure is the one concerning thing about these Switch releases. I mean I'm not sure I could shell out $60 for Skyrim two months out from 2018. On that same note DOOM would be perfectly priced at $40. Up to this point it's been in the bargain bin on every platform and I'm not sure if that will happen with this version. Maybe I'll wait A bit to see if we get a drop.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I want to buy this, but at 60 bucks I might wait.

No gyro controls and no exclusive content, so yeah. We'll see what reviews say. 40 bucks would have been insta buy

PantsuJo

Amazing game, but it should be $30-$45.

Price for sure is the one concerning thing about these Switch releases. I mean I'm not sure I could shell out $60 for Skyrim two months out from 2018. On that same note DOOM would be perfectly priced at $40. Up to this point it's been in the bargain bin on every platform and I'm not sure if that will happen with this version. Maybe I'll wait A bit to see if we get a drop.

I want to buy this, but at 60 bucks I might wait.

No gyro controls and no exclusive content, so yeah. We'll see what reviews say. 40 bucks would have been insta buy

This is a key point: price is too high, imo.

gj4tz.gif

Ryoku

This is a key point: price is too high, imo.
My bet is that Bethesda's line of thinking is somewhere along the lines of, "We're targeting a new audience that has not yet had the chance to play this game at all, so we should charge full price," despite it being a 1.5 year-old game.

Si2k78

Do you have a PS4 or Xbox? I bet Doom will be super cheap Black Friday just about everywhere. So get Doom there and then Skyrim for Switch?

I agree. It's dated perfectly to allow it sufficient time on the market before an eventual price drop on Black Friday. Those who can't wait, by all means should pick it up on day one. But for me, Odyssey will likely keep me busy for a month, and by that time, Doom should have dropped in price.

Top Bottom