• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 15 - Windows Version Trailer (PC)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has any word been said about content integration? I know it's coming with the announced DLC, but I'd love to have them integrated into the story rather than in a separate menu.

How is additional content handled in the console versions? I'd say the PC version won't be any different in that regard since there'll still be more DLC to come even after it releases.

LordKasual

Banned
That's more the result of a very talented, well funded, and dedicated animation team over some specific or unique animation blending technology. Instead the need to make major improvement to their cutscene workflow and model creation. Keyframed facial animation and really limited blendshapes really isn't cutting it anymore.

It's the animation blending as well as the quality of the animations themselves. The attack animations are layered as well.

FFXV just has very, very good animation work. There's not much point to pointing out whether it's "more the animators" or "more the animator's tools".

That's kind of one of the big perks of the team developing their own tools as they worked.

benzy

That's more the result of a very talented, well funded, and dedicated animation team over some specific or unique animation blending technology.

Considering animations were a large focus of their engine development since the beginning, I wouldn't make such a claim as fact.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Considering animations were a large focus of their engine development since the beginning, I wouldn't make such a claim as fact.
Yea I genuinely having seen anything that indicates that it's a result of unique animation tech. Just more time, talent, and effort. They made several videos of the animation tech their engine supports and none indicated that they were using a unique system especially since they were straight up advertising the most basic possible things like IK and mirroring.

jackdoe

How is additional content handled in the console versions? I'd say the PC version won't be any different in that regard since there'll still be more DLC to come even after it releases.
It's handled very, very poorly. You go to a DLC menu from the title menu to access the content. Unfortunately, this content is stuff that fleshes out an anemic story that sorely needs the material so having to quit the main game to go to a menu to access the story kills all kinds of story flow.

Sanctuary

We already knew this was happening, since (I thought anyway) it was mentioned to be released on PC as well at a later time. Plus, we had screenshots that were obviously from the PC version prior to the console release. Still nice to finally get an official announcement. I actually rented it for the PS4 and only put in maybe eight or nine hours, thinking that I would rather just wait until it was released on PC before going further.

Momentary

Banned
SSDs are still expensive, but last year around this time 2TB SSDs were over $1000.

Now they are as low as $540. 1TB is $270 and 500GB is $140. Soon 500GB will be under $100.

I'd even be willing to bet that 1TB SSDs will be less than $200 by the time this game is released.

When I bought my 2 x 1TB drives they were over $350. And my 256GB NVME m.2 SSD was around $240. Now it's $130. Memory prices are taking a HUGE nose dive.

Nezacant

SSDs are still expensive, but last year around this time 2TB SSDs were over $1000.

Now they are as low as $540. 1TB is $270 and 500GB is $140. Soon 500GB will be under $100.

I'd even be willing to bet that 1TB SSDs will be less than $200 by the time this game is released.

When I bought my 2 x 1TB drives they were over $350. And my 256GB NVME m.2 SSD was around $240. Now it's $130. Memory prices are taking a HUGE nose dive.

SSDs were actually much less expensive this time last year. For example I purchased a SanDisk Ultra II 960GB from Amazon for $174.89. The same drive right now on Amazon is $270.00.

Thank the NAND memory shortage.

What's Luminous Pro? Is it the 'Lite' version of the engine or something?

It is the end result by joining both Luminous Studio + Ebony Engine (the one utilized during Versus XIII's development). First time we saw that name (it was previously just called Luminous Studio) was early last year at some event if I recall correctly, probably GDC.

Luminous Engine is an even more advanced version of LSPro.

benzy

That's from an outdated promo video. Near the game's release last year they went into more detail at tech conventions about their engine having a heavy focus in linking their A.I system and their animation system. Using A.I to drive procedural transition animations into making more fluid transitions for character and animal movements helped with their workflow and decreased the time of having to adjust things by hand. They even mentioned XV's animation workload was already too much for just man-powering through it, so they built tech to solve that problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuF_-aAZmNk&t=27m30s

https://www.one-and-zero.com/single...-natural-movements-to-characters-and-monsters

"Analysis of attack motions

Using the Attack Motion Analysis System to automatically calculate from attack collision and animations the angles and distance for attacks to reach their target.

The distance and angles are used from AI Graph and Rule AI

Reduced efforts by half automating a system where projects were adjusted by hand up to now

The second big change in monster production was, “A limit to work flow that comes with an increase in data.” Through expanding data that has evidently increased in detail, the quality of life-like creatures increased. However, as a result of seeking quality, the data used drastically increased. Just the monsters alone were too much for a human to handle so they attempted to leave parts that could be automatized up to computers.

This single attempt at automization is the Attack Motion Analysis System. From attack motions and collision, the analysis system calculates angle and distance for attacks to reach the target, then by having the AI use those results, they were able to partially automate parts which were adjusted by humans up to now.

Finally, the third change was, “The space between animation and AI grew smaller.” In 2000, animation and AI technology was distinctly separate, but recently, with the fine tuning of AI, those in charge of AI have found the necessity to extend their hand into animation. Inversely, Mr Namiki spoke how a situation has arose where leads of animation must have a grasp on AI.

The advance of this close relationship, means AI and animation will become an integrated system. Higher quality programs can be made but adverse effects arise such as [people] not being able to handle the workload. At the level of FFXV, we have already reached an amount of data that exceeds what humans can handle. From here on, when further quality is demanded, it won't simply be a problem of increasing workload. Surely we will reach the point where it is impossible for humans to cope with.

Mr Namiki came up with the Attack Motion Analysis System, a type of automated technology, as a method to solve this problem. He finished his talk noting that we can probably make a deeper level of fine detail and quality with realistic costs while maintaining a division of work flow labor by smoothly connecting the boundaries of animation and AI."

Kvik

Those prices are from Crucial SSDs aren't they? :-\

I'd love to upgrade my Samsung Pros from 2x1TB to 2x2TB but it's $900 apiece down here. :sadface:

low-G

Yeah I loaded up on SSD space when the prices were good and I'm still not putting 170GB of a RPG on my SSDs...

170 GB storage size LMAO. They should just ship the physical box version of the game on an SSD and charge $150 for it

I wonder if this game is intended for play in 4K on a Titan X Pascal/Titan Xp/1080 Ti or if we will need to upgrade to Volta to actually run it in 4K

Aizo

Banned
Yeah. Looks like it'll be useless just like in Kingdom Hearts 2. It'll probably be nice to use when you're exploring the world and want a screenshot without the gang.
I love that! I used to do combat and just have no idea what I'm looking at hahaha

Any chance the Platinum demo will come to PC? Isn't that the only way you can unlock Carbuncle? Though I guess with this being on PC mods could possible fix this issue...

benzy

Any chance the Platinum demo will come to PC? Isn't that the only way you can unlock Carbuncle? Though I guess with this being on PC mods could possible fix this issue...

Platinum was a waste of time and a horrid demo. Carbuncle is still in the game without needing to play Platinum; Platinum demo just let you name him.

Are the ps4 pro or X1X benefitting from the pc version and getting a patch.

One more, when will multi-player FFxv happen ?
Next Tuesday?

poodaddy

SSD prices aren't dropping fast enough for this shit

It does seem like they just suddenly stopped dropping doesn't it? Kind of a bummer as I've been dreaming of getting that 2 tb evo for over a year now if it drops to a good price, but I don't see that happening any time soon. The downward momentum of pricing has almost completely stopped.

OT: I'll double dip on this merely for the hope of mod friendliness. I anticipate being disappointed in the optimization, but I also anticipate this game being that much of a blast with mods. Let's hope Denuvo isn't included.

I will never buy another Square or Rock Star game on launch for consoles ever again.

You shouldn't be buying games at launch anyway....

SoulUnison

Banned

Didn't they say something about wanting to fold the Platinum Demo content into the main game?
Hopefully it's a better dream sequence than the stuff from the Omen trailer ended up being.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That's from an outdated promo video. Near the game's release last year they went into more detail at tech conventions about their engine having a heavy focus in linking their A.I system and their animation system. Using A.I to drive procedural transition animations into making more fluid transitions for character and animal movements helped with their workflow and decreased the time of having to adjust things by hand. They even mentioned XV's animation workload was already too much for just man-powering through it, so they built tech to solve that problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuF_-aAZmNk&t=27m30s

https://www.one-and-zero.com/single...-natural-movements-to-characters-and-monsters

"Analysis of attack motions

Using the Attack Motion Analysis System to automatically calculate from attack collision and animations the angles and distance for attacks to reach their target.

The distance and angles are used from AI Graph and Rule AI

Reduced efforts by half automating a system where projects were adjusted by hand up to now

The second big change in monster production was, “A limit to work flow that comes with an increase in data.” Through expanding data that has evidently increased in detail, the quality of life-like creatures increased. However, as a result of seeking quality, the data used drastically increased. Just the monsters alone were too much for a human to handle so they attempted to leave parts that could be automatized up to computers.

This single attempt at automization is the Attack Motion Analysis System. From attack motions and collision, the analysis system calculates angle and distance for attacks to reach the target, then by having the AI use those results, they were able to partially automate parts which were adjusted by humans up to now.

Finally, the third change was, “The space between animation and AI grew smaller.” In 2000, animation and AI technology was distinctly separate, but recently, with the fine tuning of AI, those in charge of AI have found the necessity to extend their hand into animation. Inversely, Mr Namiki spoke how a situation has arose where leads of animation must have a grasp on AI.

The advance of this close relationship, means AI and animation will become an integrated system. Higher quality programs can be made but adverse effects arise such as [people] not being able to handle the workload. At the level of FFXV, we have already reached an amount of data that exceeds what humans can handle. From here on, when further quality is demanded, it won't simply be a problem of increasing workload. Surely we will reach the point where it is impossible for humans to cope with.

Mr Namiki came up with the Attack Motion Analysis System, a type of automated technology, as a method to solve this problem. He finished his talk noting that we can probably make a deeper level of fine detail and quality with realistic costs while maintaining a division of work flow labor by smoothly connecting the boundaries of animation and AI."
So they created a system in which the game analyzes the distance between an enemy and the player/npcs and decides animation playback based on that?

TI82

Banned
Damn, wasn't planning on upgrading my 1070 this year but I wanna play this in 4K... Does anyone know if it's possible to mix different 1070 versions or do I have to buy the exact same version to do SLI?

BasilZero

Does this mean the DLC content in consoles are all released by the time the PC version is available?

For Season Pass season 1.

Wait till they come out with Season Pass Season 2 :p

Putting stuff from the latest survey...

Pe6DURd.jpg

It would need all that to have an actual story. The quality of the story though will still not be there.
giphy.gif

It's been 9 months. They're adding more. That's okay with me. Not with everyone yes, but with me. Either move on or do something else.
Me too! I hope they implement all of the things from the survey lol
Yeah here's hoping! I especially want the playable females. It'd be awesome to get more about Ardyn too.

For Season Pass season 1.

Wait till they come out with Season Pass Season 2 :p

Putting stuff from the latest survey...

Pe6DURd.jpg
I really, really wish all this story content is ready early 2018. This survey was from May and surely they had some plans earlier, so its 8-12 months development time. There of course were/are season pass content being developed at the same time but still. Most of that might just be cgi cut scenes so it's not impossible it's all there when PC version releases.

Would be cool if they implemented scene from Omen trailer where Regis is talking to someone in the balcony (maybe at the start of the game?) and dawn trailer scene somewhere also where Regis is crying.

theofficefan99

I will be SOOOOO happy if future patches/updates/expansions add in new CG cutscenes. Extremely slim (outside of like, idk, maybe a Comrades intro), but one of the things I look forward to with every FF is their set of CG cutscenes; XV practically had none (yes I know they used their budget on KG). It could use some for Chapters 9-14 (especially Altissia). Along with some of the stuff in the survey like Ifrit's betrayal.

I will be SOOOOO happy if future patches/updates/expansions add in new CG cutscenes. Extremely slim (outside of like, idk, maybe a Comrades intro), but one of the things I look forward to with every FF is their set of CG cutscenes; XV practically had none (yes I know they used their budget on KG). It could use some for Chapters 9-14 (especially Altissia). Along with some of the stuff in the survey like Ifrit's betrayal.

I agree with you, I really missed CG in FFXV. By necessity, it's been appearing less and less in Final Fantasy games the more technically advanced they become, but man. If they could have nixed Kingsglaive (haw) and instead put those resources to a meatier CG presence in XV I'd have been ecstatic.

120v

i was kind of hoping the PC version would be years from now when the game was "finished". an ultimate edition or whatever

i never took storage space into account.... so i probably won't be playing this for another few years anyhow

Paertan

Not suprised at all but glad we have a timeframe now. Was waiting for the PC version. In any case it seems like it was a good idea to wait because of the stuff that have been added or fixed since release.

theofficefan99

I agree with you, I really missed CG in FFXV. By necessity, it's been appearing less and less in Final Fantasy games the more technically advanced they become, but man. If they could have nixed Kingsglaive (haw) and instead put those resources to a meatier CG presence in XV I'd have been ecstatic.

Honestly it really hasn't. XII had over 40 minutes of CGI and so did XIII. The only reason why XV didn't follow suit is because they decided to concentrate all their CGI efforts on Kingsglaive, along with the rewrites, hence the scrapping of CG cutscenes we saw even in 2015. I'm pretty sure VIIR will have 30+ minutes of CG cutscenes.

And same here. I'm just imagining a version of XV where the Altissia segment involved a bunch of gorgeous and action-packed CG cutscenes and I'm getting sad. I'm also never getting over how we never saw Gentiana or any of the Astrals in CG.

Top Bottom