• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
They're hamstrung by Kyoto. The Nintendo Board is very out of touch. Look at the Switch chat app nonsense. NOA does what it can based on the Kyoto marching orders.

All other Nintendo territories have managed to handle the SNES Classic just fine (well, relatively speaking). This is a uniquely American shitshow.

HF2014

I made a recommandation at Nintendo when calling them and trying to get a NES Mini. Make em available to purchase at their Nintendo Store, limit 1 per household. I hope it will happen, id be happy to buy from them, and would limit the scalpers trying to get a bunch at a time.

I was just shown another article about this as well.

Sauce

However, this particular one states;

Some are also claiming that Walmart told them that the page went live accidentally, while others are saying that only those who purchased with credit cards and did not have the cost of the console ($80) available will have their orders cancelled. There are additional reports that Walmart is only cancelling pre-orders placed by new, unverified Walmart accounts, which would make sense given that other retailers have had to take measures to combat SNES Classic scalpers

Which polygon didn't mention anything about scalpers in it article. I do have a Pre-order through Wal Mart which was placed the night the retail link went live for it. As of writing this post, that Pre-Order still sits on 'Processing'.

I got an e-mail from Wal-mart late last night.

On the one hand, that's the first "back in stock" e-mail I've ever received. Neither Best Buy nor Amazon has ever sent me one.

On the other hand, two days after the product has come and gone isn't much use...

Lucent

My money is still in "pending" For the Walmart order through my bank. I hope that clears out soon.

Same here. Release my money. Don't release my preorders. Lol. I've bought quite a few things from Wal-Mart.com with this card though so no worries there.

Madame M

Banned
Wal Mart better not cancel my order just because my account was new, all that waste of time frantically signing up for nothing

I feel like this thread won't last the weekend lol

Seems it has

:p

image.php

My order is fine so far..purchased the NES classic with the same credit card from walmart and my Discover card already shows processing for the amount so will see what happens

DJChuy

My order is still alive. I forgot my pw to my Walmart account, so I had to make a new one. Also placed it 5 - 10 minutes before the page got taken out.

Eelier

Neo Member
My order still shows as processing for pickup Oct 4, but the pre-auth has disappeared off my card. Butt clenching activated

muteki

Still have processing as my order status and a pending charge on my card. I can't remember the last time I ordered anything from walmart.com but they did have my email address so at some point I must have at least created an account.

I forgot my old password so I made a new account. My order's still processing, hopefully Walmart doesn't cancel my order because I made a new account. Who knows, maybe these orders were sending multiple devices to the same address or were linked by some identical information with another order account.

My order still shows as processing for pickup Oct 4, but the pre-auth has disappeared off my card. Butt clenching activated

That's how pre-authorizations work. They check to see you have the money when you place the pre-order (i.e. reserve your spot in line). Then they charge you when it ships.

Euphony

Banned
Checking in to say that my Walmart order is still processing. I ordered it maybe 30 minutes after preorders opened with the shipping option. The charge is also still pending on my credit card. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled but I'm still keeping notifications up just in case.

AZ Greg

Did anyone here who got cancelled already have a premade account and used it to order something in the past?

The Zoolander Blu-ray steelbook that I ordered with the SNES Classic Mini shipped, so if there's any problems with the SNES Classic preorder then it won't be on the payment info side. >_>

MrMephistoX

My order is still processing. I think I ordered it like 15 minutes after Wario posted it.

I think I ordered within 5 minutes of Wario posting and I'm still processing. The criteria listed in the polygon story matches my situation. Registered Walmart Account > Ordered with CC with sufficient balance. I did one in store pickup and one home as a backup since it auto-filled my old address and I don't want to accidentally trigger something that might cancel the order out. I have two temporary authorizations on my card from 7/21.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/24/16019808/snes-classic-pre-orders-canceled-walmart

btrboyev

So there is a story online that all walmart pre-orders have been cancelled or will be cancelled because it was a mistake.

It also said real pre-orders will be this week.

Ahh. Yes it was that above polygon story.

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
That's how pre-authorizations work. They check to see you have the money when you place the pre-order (i.e. reserve your spot in line). Then they charge you when it ships.

Does this mean I'll have to wait until October 4th to know if I'm completely safe or will I find out earlier if I'm safe?

(Still processing on Walmart's website and my credit card *fingers crossed*).

So many questions, so few answers... At least I'm glad I'm not alone in this nightmare of a preorder experience.

So there is a story online that all walmart pre-orders have been cancelled or will be cancelled because it was a mistake.

It also said real pre-orders will be this week.

Ahh. Yes it was that above polygon story.

It's been nearly 72hours since Walmart took preorders, and most people still have theirs intact. Some got cancelled, but if they intend to cancel them all, what are they waiting for?

Does this mean I'll have to wait until October 4th to know if I'm completely safe or will I find out earlier if I'm safe?

(Still processing on Walmart's website and my credit card *fingers crossed*).

So many questions, so few answers... At least I'm glad I'm not alone in this nightmare of a preorder experience.

I'm guessing we will find out this week what is happening with the Walmart orders. The reps who claimed all the existing orders would get nuked also said they intended to put the SNES Classic up officially this week. If they don't, it's say to assume the story was fully bunk.

Maybe the only ones cancelled were people with multiple/scalpels? Going on day 3 and I'm still safe

You know damn well that isn't true if you have read this thread at all. Just like bitching and moaning about whether or not someone is a potential scalper just because they ordered multiple, is going against the rules the OP has laid out. But you already know these things and don't actually care, don't you?

BriGuy

You know damn well that isn't true if you have read this thread at all. Just like bitching and moaning about whether or not someone is a potential scalper just because they ordered multiple, is going against the rules the OP has laid out. But you already know these things and don't actually care, don't you?
I think the "multiple/scalpers" qualifier was to cover everyone who bought more than one system, whether it was for legitimate or illegitimate reasons.

Anyway, I'm still checking my email and online order twice a day. Knowing that they intended pre-orders to take place a few days later makes it hard to believe they're just going to cancel them all outright. Like, a sale is a sale. It would be one thing if it was months in advance, but a handful of days shouldn't be a big deal.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's been nearly 72hours since Walmart took preorders, and most people still have theirs intact. Some got cancelled, but if they intend to cancel them all, what are they waiting for?

Have any been canceled after that initial wave of cancellations the night/morning after the preorders went up? I don't remember seeing anyone mention theirs got canceled after that.

shockdude

Which polygon didn't mention anything about scalpers in it article. I do have a Pre-order through Wal Mart which was placed the night the retail link went live for it. As of writing this post, that Pre-Order still sits on 'Processing'.
I'm reeally sure that bolded Polygon part is what happened. The inexplicable cancellation stories are exactly what happened to me when I ordered some PS3 controllers from Walmart months ago, except now it's happening to a lot of people who coincidentally are going after a very high demand product.

I'm reeally sure that bolded Polygon part is what happened. The inexplicable cancellation stories are exactly what happened to me when I ordered some PS3 controllers from Walmart months ago, except now it's happening to a lot of people who coincidentally are going after a very high demand product.

PS3 controllers? Which controllers, third party of first party? What time frame did you attempt to get those from Wal Mart? I can't fathom how a controller could be a high demand item sitting next to an item like the SNES classic. Though, given my lack of interest in PS3 system, maybe someone can higher educate me on that. Because seeing them toss out a controller order seems a little far fetched.

DilWSTS

Managed to get a preorder in Australia. The one time only have like 2 retailers helps i guess. Wishing you all the best of luck

shockdude

PS3 controllers? Which controllers, third party of first party? What time frame did you attempt to get those from Wal Mart? I can't fathom how a controller could be a high demand item sitting next to an item like the SNES classic. Though, given my lack of interest in PS3 system, maybe someone can higher educate me on that. Because seeing them toss out a controller order seems a little far fetched.
My theory is that the cancellations are from Walmart's website being overly strict about new accounts and credit cards. If you haven't used the card on Walmart's site before and Walmart doesn't like it for some reason, something trips and suddenly your order is cancelled. You have to call Walmart to get your card authorized before you can buy anything. And yes it's an absurd system and I don't know why they haven't fixed it.
Nothing to do with the demand of the item. You probably could've tried to buy a vacuum cleaner and Walmart would've rejected your card.

I ordered brand-new first-party PS3 controllers directly from Walmart's warehouses last December. They were among the last few PS3 controllers in-stock. Had my order cancelled four times in a row before I made the phone call, and then the order went through fine.

LosDaddie

Banned
I was able to get my 2 preorders in early, and my orders are still processing. It's kinda difficult not to check your email every few hours to see if the cancellation email comes.

Here's hoping I get to keep both 🤞

My theory is that the cancellations are from Walmart's website being overly strict about new accounts and credit cards. If you haven't used the card on Walmart's site before, something trips and suddenly your order is cancelled. You have to call Walmart to get your card authorized before you can buy anything. And yes it's an absurd system and I don't know why they haven't fixed it.
Nothing to do with the demand of the item. You probably could've tried to buy a vacuum cleaner and Walmart would've rejected your card.

This is not the case for me. Like, at all.

I had to create a new Walmart account before I could preorder the SNES. I was able to place 2 different preorders (1 pick up and 1 delivered) with no problem.

shockdude

This is not the case for me. Like, at all.

I had to create a new Walmart account before I could preorder the SNES. I was able to place 2 different preorders (1 pick up and 1 delivered) with no problem.
Edited post. Didn't mean to say that everyone with new accounts got cancellations (because that'd be even more absurd).
I'm simply guessing that (nearly) everyone who got a cancellation had a new account with a new card/payment method that Walmart decided to not like.
Will happily retract statements if disproven.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My theory is that the cancellations are from Walmart's website being overly strict about new accounts and credit cards. If you haven't used the card on Walmart's site before and Walmart doesn't like it for some reason, something trips and suddenly your order is cancelled. You have to call Walmart to get your card authorized before you can buy anything. And yes it's an absurd system and I don't know why they haven't fixed it.

I ordered brand-new first-party PS3 controllers directly from Walmart's warehouses last December. They were among the last few PS3 controllers in-stock. Had my order cancelled four times in a row before I made the phone call, and then the order went through fine.

I ordered a Lego Saturn V back in May and had no issues. Using the same account and same card, my payment got denied twice at checkout for this before I switched to Paypal and it worked.

LosDaddie

Banned
If Target's preorders go live soon, then I have to believe the Walmart preorders are safe. Because at that point, who gives a shit.

I tend to believe that, yes, walmart made a mistake and the preorders went live a little too early. But at the same time, it's Walmart and Nintendo isn't going to force the #1 retail giant to cancel thousands of preorders placed a week earlier than planned.

Edited post. Didn't mean to say that everyone with new accounts got cancellations (because that'd be even more absurd).
I'm simply guessing that (nearly) everyone who got a cancellation had a new account with a new card/payment method that Walmart decided to not like.
Will happily retract statements if disproven.

My guess is that the cancellations are from people without the ~$90 in their account to pay for the SNES. Either that, or they placed their order at the very tail end of the preorder window.

Personally, I'm not going to believe I got a SNES Classic until one is in my hands. So until then, I'm just going to try not to worry about it. I'll try to snag one off amazon when their preorders go live just to have a back up, though.

Top Bottom