• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

AlexBasch

If they leave online play alone, but PS World is the new Plus, then cool, go with it.

I don't think Sony will start charging for online play, I mean, this is why some people pick their console over Xbox.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Carl

Because when the store updates while you're at work :)lol) you can use your phone to buy and automatically download your games so they're waiting for you when you get home.

So you don't have to be physically next to it start downloading stuff?

I read "control it with your phone" and "initial downloads via your phone" as separate points. That'd be good though yeah

guek

Banned
Paying for online? Consoles priced out of my budget for 2-3 years? This is gonna be the BEST GEN EVAR!!

Seance

Banned
#FiveHundredandTwntyNineUSDollars #Bomba

Definitely won't be that expensive.

Also why is there an ugly and cheap looking third-party peripheral in the OP?

Kouichi

"Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus."

hmm

statement edited into OP

If they follow this path, I hope they still give away free games if you're part of the service.

if sony charges for online gaming or anything that doesn't use their servers (i mean, i canunderstand party voice chatting through a relay server as a premium, but not online gaming) i'm "out" this new generation.

kingocfs

I already control my 360 with my phone and it sucks.

And who didn't expect Sony to charge for online? PS+ in it's current form is set up to collect users and let them get invested in the ecosystem. Then they start putting shit behind the pay wall, as any company would.

DaBoss

"Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus."

hmm

Ohohohoh. This isn't good news for us. Though the pricing is not good either. No one wants to buy the turd pack.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It's probably way too soon for anyone outside of Sony to have accurate pricing. I'm sure those numbers are still in flux at Sony itself.

However, if true, the "THERE'S NO WAY IT WILL COST MORE THAN $400" crowd will be eating serious. crow.

How can they be eating crow when no one is saying this? Most people are saying if Sony hits the $400 price point, they would be willing to get one. Might want to throttle back on the "eat crow" brah.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
So... you will log into the console to check activity? (like remote desktop) As apposed to how the Wii U will work, logging into Miiverse outside and separate from the console?

Soi-Fong

If basic online play/friends/chat isn't locked behind a pay wall I have no qualms about the bells and whistles.

This is basically what I'm saying. Sony were the ones who showed off free online gaming in the 1st place.

Hope to heck Kotaku is wrong on this.

Ugh, Sony don't fuck this up.
Pay to play online is bullshit.
Also those triggers don't look so good.
But hey, prototype and all.

Agreed about the triggers. Bad. Hopefully there's more of a lip on the bottom of them in the final version.

529 dollars for any version of the console is just dumb.

our source says that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.

That's a start. I'd love to see some kind of streaming setup from PS4 -> Vita, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

if they do, and microsoft continues to (don't see that changing) then I'm just spending the money I would on a new console to upgrade my PC for next gen.
Same. A huge reason I was buying a PS4 at launch was so I didn't have to pay for online. I might still get one down the line for Sony exclusives but I'm done paying for online.

Unless it also gets me crazy discounts, which could make it worth it.

If they lock Netflix and basic online play behind a pay wall I'm going to be pissed. If they do that AND the subscription no longer includes free games like PS+ I might go PC only.

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

So they're ripping off Xbox Live and Xbox SmartGlass. Interested in seeing where they take the ideas, but Sony really needs to learn to blaze it's own trail once in a while or they will perpetually be two steps behind.

Iacobellis

our source says that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.

Someone in another thread called this.

Elginer

god-damnit-o.gif

Well, I guess that's that then. Sony is looking to make some money and 529 for the premium model sounds mighty damn expensive.

Dawg

Online features are vague.

What if it's just an expanded ps+ (costs a little more, maybe) with party chat included etc, BUT playing online games remains free? I'd be okay with that.

We'll see though.

Pooya

welp, not surprising though.

so, is this like remote desktop access on PC? sounds neat.

DaBoss

How can they be eating crow when no one is saying this? Most people are saying if Sony hits the $400 price point, they would be willing to get one. Might want to throttle back on the "eat crow" brah.

There are some people claiming it won't go above $400 due to the specs not seeming that expensive to make the price go north of $400.

Midou

Will take anything with a grain of salt this close to full reveal. I don't see them charging for basic online play. Perhaps some features that exist now for free may be subscription, but I imagine core online play will remain free.

I am probably out if the console is going to be so expensive, be subsidized, all online is now subscription based and all games are tied directly to account/console. MS has disappointed me last gen, so I was hoping sony would pick up their slack. Maybe not. :(

Online play will still be free. Cue 10 pages of people repeating this. It's PS+ and all the new stuff that will likely be continued sub.

1-D_FTW

Not loving the pricing, but I was expecting to be able to control the OS with a smartphone/tablet. Anything less would have been an insane oversight. They're here to stay and companies need to co-opt them whenever possible.

Top Bottom