• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

Cbajd5

Yeah, I'm not paying to play online, and I'm not going to pay for any extra features unless I still get free rental games like PS+. Having to pay to play online is the exact reason why I barely play my 360 at all.

I guess I could just get a better graphics card for my PC...

(I'm also pretty sure they'd round up from $429/$529, not down...)

Paying to play online sucks. There's no way around it. For me, I'm already a Plus subscriber and I enjoy it much more than Xbox Live, so if it's $50 a year and I'm still getting the content we get now, I'm fine with that. But it still sucks to make people pay to play online. However I suppose people have proven through the success of Xbox Live that they're willing to pay it so we can only blame ourselves.

Tabris

That built-in Spectating idea is really awesome! As long as it was a picture in picture deal (i.e. top right had video of your friend playing and the game in the rest of the screen)

god-damnit-o.gif

Don't worry, playing online will still most likely be free.
Oh, I see many people are jumping to this conclusion. It won't be the case. Most likely cloud saves/sharing captures/watching friends etc.

I hope this isn't true and I hope the Playstation Online stuff is false.
GOD DAMN IT KAZ!

- One SKU
- £299
- WORLDWIDE RELEASE IN SEPTFUCKINGTEMBER (how awesome would that be?)
- Free Online
- PS4 only PS+ price

If it is replacing PS+ then I wonder if its going to be PS+ and multiplayer; might be okay but am not paying for stuff that I don't get on the console I own. Thats not a big ask.

Cake Boss

Banned
I am guessing they will still let you play for free but the premuim features like party chat, voice messages and all that shit will be in the sub.

Satchel

Banned
That controller is a big improvement on DS3, I like it.

If Sony starts charging for online, the reactions will be fucking hilarious.

Nibel

At least I'm confident that they will add value to PS World unlike XBL which bombs my homescreen with shit I don't give a fuck about

I think we should wait and see, I think this could be better than most think

blackflag

If they go to the pay online model I'm not sure what I'll do. I typically buy every console when they come out but I'm tired of paying for dumb stuff like that. I'll only pay for that service on 1 console at most and I was thinking about downgrading XBL gold to silver since I rarely use it at all anymore.

Dinosur

our source says that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing

Please tell me this means they can watch a stream of your live gaming footage and not that they can hop in and stare at you sitting on the couch.

our source says that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.
That was one of the not so obvious uses i was sugesting for the Gaikai tech. If indeed true, it's freaking incredible.

And the phone/tablet use at least give access to some of the Wii U like features withouth incurring in extra costs. Very nice. Wii U is becoming more irrelevant by the second.
Please tell me this means they can watch a stream of your live gaming footage and not that they can hop in and stare at you sitting on the couch.
What you play of course. It blows the Miiverse integration out of the water.

Of all the things Sony could have copied from MS they decided on SmartGlass?

Oh well. The way things are shaping up Orbis is looking to be the better system.

Seeing as Sony came up with a pretty similar concept back in like 2007, with Remote Play, I'm failing to see how they copied anything.

Anyway, if Sony starts charging for basic features and online play like Microsoft, I'm going to be pissed. Immediate hype deflation if true.

It's funny to me that when the Vita was announced people had orgasms about the 'perfect' price point and how Sony won.

Then you look at it now.

Going by that, if Sony does announce these prices it'll probably cement PS4 wins next generation in advance, because NeoGAF!

panty

That $529 price just can't be true.. people are going to flip. As a Sony whore I'm not too worried about it but cmon Sony, seriously.

Konosuke

notlikethis.gif

Controller is looking solid at least. Add just a little more curvature to the triggers and it would be perfect.

Ugh, Sony why did you have to do this.

Paid online and no used games might be enough to stop me from wanting a PS4. Hopefully neither happens.

Chad Warden wipes his ass with five hundred and twenty nine dollars so the price makes sense though.

UberTag

All of this comes as expected for me.

- Sony following suit with Microsoft and charging a premium for most online & Cloud functionality.
- The release in November at those price points also makes sense. I still expect Microsoft will ship earlier (in September).

PS+ makes them money.
PS+ generates a MINUSCULE FRACTION of the amount of revenue that Xbox LIVE brings in for Microsoft each year.
I'm actually happy to see that Sony is finally finding ways to monetize what they bring to the table. They need to in order to survive.

Offering such a service also makes it more plausible they'll be able to match any Microsoft subsidized contract offers they pitch for Durango.

A camera in every box, control the console with phones/tablets, a strong focus on non-gaming media, and pay-for-online. Sounds familiar.

Stasis

Damn. $750 for a new console ($530 model + 2 games + taxes in Quebec) is pushing it for me.

It'll really have to wow me with launch games and what's coming down the relatively short-term pipeline otherwise I'll just give my PC a GPU upgrade for around $300 and wait it out.

All of this comes as expected for me.
- Sony following suit with Microsoft and charging a premium for most online & Cloud functionality.
- The release in November at those price points also makes sense. I still expect Microsoft will ship earlier (in September).
that's not following suit. MS charges you to play online. This likely will not.

DaBoss

Online play will still be free. Cue 10 pages of people repeating this. It's PS+ and all the new stuff that will likely be continued sub.

So? That is what I assume WOULD be free. Almost(?) everything else would require you to have a subscription, which is what the source is claiming. And what I'm worried about.

JABEE

MS made the 360 brand cool through online gaming so people would pay it no matter what. Sony doesn't have that luxury.

And who knows if Microsoft will even hold that advantage into next gen. Sony would be stupid to put Netflix and Online Gaming behind a subscription.

Why you gotta leak info a day before the reveal :p

I'm liking the triggers not having a lip, but I don't like the fucking Eyetoy being bundled. Goddamn you kinect. That money could have went towards ram/gpu.

Top Bottom