• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

I'm going on a blackout now. We'll see tomorrow though, but Sony will have to do something incredibly dumb for me not to get a P4.

If anything blame the peeps who keep on paying for Live, if Sony sees that MS are making profit off of it don't you think they'd do it as well?

Well if that's true what do they mean by most then? Yeah this isn't going to work for me, 429 will probably end up 449. and a sub for online. Yeah no. Hopefully the price changes.
it probably means all the cloud stuff and all the normal PS+ bonuses will cost money. While everything that is free now without PS+ will remain free.

Coolwhip

Banned
Phones and tablets is what Nintendo should have gone with aswell. Everyone has them and they solve the pain of typing with a controller. Paying for online is probably just needed to offset the costs, Sony can't afford to keep giving out free stuff.

sangreal

Why does kotaku still insist on claiming they broke the story on Orbis and Durango code names in 2012? They were first disclosed in 2011 (not by kotaku). If anything they just confirmed the names. Relevant since they are citing this as a reason we should believe their source (the controller pictures would be a better reason)

They made the same claim in another thread

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
"Playstation World" sounds like PS1, 2 and 3 BC to me. Probably through streaming though.

DR2K

Banned
All of this comes as expected for me.

- Sony following suit with Microsoft and charging a premium for most online & Cloud functionality.
- The release in November at those price points also makes sense. I still expect Microsoft will ship earlier (in September).

PS+ generates a MINUSCULE FRACTION of the amount of revenue that Xbox LIVE brings in for Microsoft each year.
I'm actually happy to see that Sony is finally finding ways to monetize what they bring to the table. They need to in order to survive.

Offering such a servicealso makes it more plausible they'll be able to match any Microsoft subsidized contract offers they pitch for Durango.

It's also a huge factor in why people choose a PS3 over an Xbox.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
$529 for a 7850 and a few netbook CPUs bolted together?

taking a sip from nintendo's cup, i see.

Charging for online is enough to deter me from buying a PS4 for a while. Hope it's not true especially considering all the praise Playstation Plus seems to get for not being Xbox Live.

Especially when PS World is no doubt PS America.

Fuck paying for something that only works in one country.

However I remain optimistic that online play will be free.

dEvAnGeL

im saying 2 models

$400 basic model

$500 premium model, bigger hard drive, ps world/plus subscription and a few more things

im ok with them charging for online gaming as long as the rest of the services are free to everyone, like netflix, hulu, demos and all that shenanigans, i rather pay a little for online gaming but be able to enjoy it safely than have to deal with fucking hackers messing up games, modern warfare 2 comes to mind, anyone?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sony is here to make money, not kiss babies and hug fat girls. They are here to make MONEY. To win titles.

Zee-Row

Banned
Why would i want to control it with a tablet or smartphone? Its just like Smartglass , neat concept but not very practical.

Spongebob

Banned
$529 is too damn close to $599, damn.

Paid online possibly?

Hype fucking killed.

I'm going PC only next-gen, I'm done with this shit.

legacyzero

Banned
Sony could go one of two ways with PSN. Either stick it to MS with free online services, or follow suit and make a shitload of money.

I don't care if they charge. But they damn well better make it attractive and worthwhile. I hear PS+ is worth it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
It is not cheap, agree. But I'll have to buy it because I always want the "complete" version of everything. Fuck myself.

I skipped on PS3.. Was willing to get PS4 with my 720 but if $500 . + $29 is the case it'll REALLY be difficult for me to justify a purchase..

$399.99 for both max imo.. I think MS might be at $399 max, gotta see what Sony does.

DaBoss

does it really matter though? You'd assume PS+ features would be free? Because PS world wounds like PS+ plus even more stuff.

As long as you can play online for free which it sounds like you'll still be able to do with no problems, it's reasonable.

I'm not talking about PSN+ though. It is talking about "most online features of the PS4" this could mean streaming services being behind a paywall. It is one of the big advantagess of the PS3 over a 360. And a Wii U would have streaming services free. Otherwise, I'm fine with PSN+ with more stuff. Hope the price doesn't get jacked up or they offer different variations of "PSW".

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That price range and the idea of some online features being exclusive to PS+ (I'm assuming) have me worried. I might, for the first time in a long time, sit this launch out and see how things progress.

Meier

As long as playing online is free, I am cool with everything here. They gotta make money with other stuff. Just don't be a douche like MS about online playing...thats almost criminal.

Online play won't be free. People would be wise to accept this as a fact and then be pleasantly surprised if it is free. Don't anticipate it though, because it's unlikely. Sony is hemorrhaging funds and will undoubtedly lose money on hardware. They'll need to ensure a much, much larger chunk of their user base than now is paying a yearly sub.

The online structure will hopefully be very alike to the one we slready have on PS3... otherwise they'll alienate those PS+ subscribers.

I guessing one of the features will be online streaming of your PS3 collection or some shit.

Charging for online? would not surprise me.

Why is that 19 year old controller design (that I've hated since the PS1) is still around? that baffles me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wonder if they'll cash in and put multiplayer under the premium subscription.

What a bizarro world it would be if MS did the opposite, but I still see MS charging for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony charges for online play. A generational switch is the perfect time to do so. That said, I can't see them doing it.

JABEE

$529 for a 7850 and a few netbook CPUs bolted together?

taking a sip from nintendo's cup, i see.

The only way that number makes sense is if they are trying to make a nice profit on every system sold. That price is kind of crazy unless they changed the specs at the last minute. It wouldn't be coming out in November if that was the case.

massoluk

Banned
If I'm buying a system that I would use the entire generation, I'm not buying the lesser version. With that, 599 US Dollar or 529 US Dollar aren't that much different to me. They are both out of my reach, so I hope this isn't real.

Wynnebeck

Banned
There are plenty of people claiming that $400 will be the max for next-gen consoles, not the entry point.

You must filter out those posts somehow; they're everywhere, "brah."

Then show these posts instead of antagonizing me. If you are going to call people out, you better have proof or lest you make yourself look like an ass or more so then you already have at this point.

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus."

They already do this now. PSN+ has it's own exclusive features. Why is everyone scared?

I'm not talking about PSN+ though. It is talking about "most online features of the PS4" this could mean streaming services being behind a paywall. It is one of the big advantagess of the PS3 over a 360. And a Wii U would have streaming services free. Otherwise, I'm fine with PSN+ with more stuff. Hope the price doesn't get jacked up or they offer different variations of "PSW".
it's a stretch at this point to think anything that's completely free now would start costing money. It could but it's a stretch, Sony isn't exactly in the position to do that. But hey if people want to brace for the worst, go for it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
529 is fine wirh me. Way less than what I paid for PS3

It's a pretty bad price man, reeks of overpricedness (but of course for what you get it might not be the case but most people wont swallow that)

And I hardly think nowadays people are willing to plunk down $400 for a bare bones system.

Top Bottom