• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

Eusis

I hope it's more that some extra additions require the subscription and, at worst, you can still watch Netflix and stuff without a subscription. It'd seriously be bullshit if they take one of Microsoft's worst policies and slap it on, when every other fucking device lets me do it for free. I could see however them keeping premium, don't-need-another-subscription services to PS World while the ones that DO require a subscription can go without.

They will likely charge for the EXTRA online services like video sharing, cloud storage etc

Standard MP features ala PS3 should remain free

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think/hope the basics - i.e. online play - will still be free.

I think their fancy new online features will be for PS+/PSWorld only. As they've pretty much already been doing with new online features on PS3 (cloud saving, auto downloads etc.)

Elios83

Most of it sounds believable, except for the 429/529$ prices which are totally stupid.
It will be 399/499. Also online gaming should be free, extra features can be packaged in a service. They are already doing it with PS+ (cloud saves, auto synch, auto update etc).

At least I'm confident that they will add value to PS World unlike XBL which bombs my homescreen with shit I don't give a fuck about

I think we should wait and see, I think this could be better than most think

Yeah it could be to make the subscription Plus model sustainable.
If we all gain stuff together? Am okay with it.

My main reason I'm against Live now is I found out the hard way; if you let your subscription slide, your talking paying another £40 on top of any new game purchases. Its a big ask.

This would at least bring other gains.
I won't be happy not playing something cause their paying for Vita content; sorry Vita gaf but if its not by choice, I think you can see my point.

Hero

That's more than I was expecting. Also following Xbox Live paid subscription is good for them to make money but bad for consumers.

Let's see how it goes down tomorrow.

UrbanRats

Don't worry, playing online will still most likely be free.
Oh, I see many people are jumping to this conclusion. It won't be the case. Most likely cloud saves/sharing captures/watching friends etc.

That would be like PS+, though. So not really following Microsoft.

I'd be okay with that, i don't care about most of that stuff anyway.

blackflag

If it had PS plus built in and the quality of releases are good, I guess I'll bite. If PS plus games go away, then no way. Will still get but play offline only.

Midou

From the sounds of it, Online gaming is free but services like Gaikai's Cloud and PS+ features will not be. Sounds... reasonable?

Sounds perfectly reasonable. I pay for PS+ because I love the free shit, but I would be pretty angry if they made it required for normal online play. Non-essential features through PS+ is fine with me.

So? That is what I assume WOULD be free. Everything else would require you to have a subscription, which is what the source is claiming. And what I'm worried about.
does it really matter though? You'd assume PS+ features would be free? Because PS world wounds like PS+ plus even more stuff.

As long as you can play online for free which it sounds like you'll still be able to do with no problems, it's reasonable.

VanWinkle

From the sounds of it, Online gaming is free but services like Gaikai's Cloud and PS+ features will not be. Sounds... reasonable?

See, this sounds perfectly fine, but a lot of people are going to read it and automatically assume online play be cost money.

Cyborg

Ugh, Sony don't fuck this up.
Pay to play online is bullshit.
Also those triggers don't look so good.
But hey, prototype and all.

This
1: Paying for online would stop me from buying the ps4 on day 1. Sony always said online would be free.
2. Triggers look the samep, fck that. Not much improved

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I highly doubt MP will be behind a paywall like XBL, it is one of PSN's defining features against XBL across platforms, if they were going to charge for MP they would have done it with Vita. Any feature that they do want you to pay for will no doubt just be part of PS+.

Domino792

As some are saying i bet the online multiplayer is still free but things like cross game chat will be a part of this new PS+.

Also those prices seem weird its most likely 399 and 499

How can they be eating crow when no one is saying this? Most people are saying if Sony hits the $400 price point, they would be willing to get one. Might want to throttle back on the "eat crow" brah.

There are plenty of people claiming that $400 will be the max for next-gen consoles, not the entry point.

You must filter out those posts somehow; they're everywhere, "brah."

jimi_dini

"Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use."

If this means pay for P2P, then I guess I will probably go Wii U only. Thanx Sony for saving me money.

flattie

This is horrible and I'm saying that as a day 1 PS+ subscriber.

How can you seriously claim that a rumour, which contains no information beyond the suggestion that you might have to pay for something, be horrible? Sony charge for plus and nobody complains about that.

Let's wait for the facts before issuing judgement.

Loudninja

I think/hope the basics - i.e. online play - will still be free.

I think their fancy new online features will be for PS+/PSWorld only. As they've pretty much already been doing with new online features on PS3 (cloud saving, auto downloads etc.)
Yep that is what I expect.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Dev leaking dev kits and specs I trust. Things that are either not decided or privy to only top exec are generally not really common leaks. Of course it could be material leaked in advance of tomorrow by someone who saw talking point.

Meier

Online gaming will remain free. No way in hell Sony touches that.

XBL makes Microsoft a ton of money. Sony would be silly to not get in on the action from Day 1. For every person who doesn't buy one due to it, there's another who will pay $40-$60 a year for 5-7 years and help balance out the lost sale.

backlot

Charging for online is enough to deter me from buying a PS4 for a while. Hope it's not true especially considering all the praise Playstation Plus seems to get for not being Xbox Live.

A.R.K

As long as playing online is free, I am cool with everything here. They gotta make money with other stuff. Just don't be a douche like MS about online playing...thats almost criminal.

Kimawolf

Online play will still be free. Cue 10 pages of people repeating this. It's PS+ and all the new stuff that will likely be continued sub.

Well if that's true what do they mean by most then? Yeah this isn't going to work for me, 429 will probably end up 449. and a sub for online. Yeah no. Hopefully the price changes.

Lo-Volt

I do hope that pricing isn't true, and I dislike the idea of pay-for-online-play when PS3 owners have lived without that. But the backlash against Microsoft's online pay structure was muted at best. And PS Plus could easily be considered their way to test the waters for monetizing more of the experience down the road. If Sony actually charges for online play, or for related functions that are really important to online play, then where are consumers going to go? Sure, there are personal computers and the Wii U, but for consumers intent on buying a high-end new console, there would be no alternative. And Sony would be foolish to forgo the extra revenue without considering the pros and cons of that kind of change first.

That said, I find charging for any of this stuff a little ridiculous. Consumers are going to adopt devices that offer some of the Gold plan's functions, but don't offer after-the-fact charges in return for accessing them. Smart TVs, Roku boxes and Apple TVs don't charge some extra fee for the right to use Netflix, and they don't cost a lot in the latter two cases. A lot of standalone BD players have this function. I think some of the consumers most likely to consider such a system at launch are already spoken for because of those devices, and some of those who aren't into it may react coldly to the idea of paying for it on the PS4.

And as for the hardware pricing scheme that Kotaku is talking about, I'd rather that didn't happen, of course. Beyond $399, it seems a little exorbitant for what is ultimately a recreational device in a sluggish global economy. And the PS4 will have a lot of competition for the added features beyond gaming, so charging some premium for that is hard to swallow. All of that said, what matters more is what those two trims offer. If the $529 rumored box offers an ingot of gold and every accessory and some incredible pack-in software, so be it. But if the $429 model is fairly equipped without offering every bell and whistle, that's far better than what happened last time. The 20GB PS3 and the 'tard' 360 were awful in this respect. So the $429 model comes with a less massive hard drive, but is otherwise 'fully functional' as far as the ecosystem is concerned. That might be less difficult for consumers to accept.

Trevelyon

Online features are vague.

What if it's just an expanded ps+ (costs a little more, maybe) with party chat included etc, BUT playing online games remains free? I'd be okay with that.

We'll see though.

Hope so, paying for p2p online is fucking bullshit any which way you slice it. If it's just a bunch of percieved bells and whistle in a subscription format (control your PS4 downloads with your fridge for a low low price of...) perhaps with plus bolted on, then I could imagine worst things, current XBL being one of them.

If online play is straight up pay walled/subbed no way around it then ya don goofed Kaz.

People need to calm down! It's just a rumor and the bloke said "most" not "all".
Probably just like PS+ is today but with Gaikai and cross-chat added to it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Better than dualshock but those sticks/triggers are still horrendous.

Have no problem with price though.

I;ll take a 500$ console that has substantial hardware in it over a 300-350$ console that has decade old hardware in it.

Top Bottom